ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics

Dang bro! Didn't know I was living in your head all weekend where you have to bring me up multiple times. Should "super" males born with xyy get their own division also? It is inherently unfair that they also have an advantage. I'll let you have the last word! Gotta go!

Regards,

Yubs, First of their name, Boomer agitator, defender of "Hybrids"
Every minute of it at every event, I was mumbling about “that damn Yubs”! ;)
I mean, people stared. Last word, huh?
Okay, that “first of their name” line was waaay too funny. Serious GOT vibe.
Freestyle’s here!

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Again, you're a bigot. I'm not qualified to suggest the help you need, but may I suggest a therapist.
You're pretty stupid and I'm sure you cannot understand the science in this article. The IOC's classification system is basically from sex on a birth certificate. This isn't scientifically accurate and does not take in account hormone levels that are considered normal in males and females. This person is a male, they have normal male hormone levels that females can only achieve by the use of testosterone which is banned in the Olympics. For example my wife's hormone replacement therapy would make her ineligible for any IOC event, even though her hormone levels are below that of this male, and yes he is a male.

No, just pointing out that majorities tend to protect their self-interest with little regard to detriment to minorities (which seems obvious). You seem to state you are okay with this. I am not.

Many are asserting a chromosomal advantage as fact. The fact is the Olympics tends to balance competitive fairness with inclusivity. Those who buy into the OIympic ideals engage the Olympics without concerns similar to that shared by some, like yourself.

Didn't see a similar outrage about Simone Biles ADHD medication as an advantage (like some seem to have here and expressed regarding AB).
This male has normal male hormone levels, levels that cannot be achieved by a woman without using exogenous testosterone. Read the articles explaining it, I've linked them here.

does not take in account hormone levels that are considered normal in males and females

Intentionally. For inclusivity. There are a couple lawsuits against sporting organizations that penalized female athletes for their naturally occurring hormone levels. So perhaps also to avoid unnecessary lawsuits.

"Normal" is a statistical term. It assumes a bell curve. There are always legitimate measurements outside any band that attempts to limit competition to some "normal" range. And it is scientifically impossible to discern a material athletic advantage between the one who naturally falls just within any band and the one who falls just outside it.

In other words, "normal" becomes arbitrary with respect to what is deemed athletic advantage and exclusion. Therefore, using "normal" hormone bands alone would be inherently problematic in addition to being contrary to Olympic ideals.

Hormone levels may be an indicator of potential use of a banned substance. That is how they might be used. Banned substances need to be detected to exclude an athlete as an unfair competitor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT