ADVERTISEMENT

One Game, but.....

Tonight, was a really bad team effort and Iowa looked really soft. Hope this is a one-off type of game otherwise a very long year BBall too. Half-court offense and rebounding really lacking.
TCU played "bully ball" like Izzo has made a great career from. Hack, push etc. the zebras won't call them all. Frans teams are a "finesse" type.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Indeed, it does.

Which is why you need (at least) a top 30 defense in order to be any kind of real threat in the tourney.

Yes...good atheletic defense also usually means outstanding defensive rebounding. Iowa gave up 55% from the field and 36% from 3pt line to a TCU team that didn't have any pure shooters. They just had guys that took it to the rack and finished or got the rebound and put it back if they missed.

The frontline of Murray, PMAC, Rebraca with either Sandfort/CMAC are all finess players, or perimeter oriented. In games like this, Iowa needs Murray to go off for 29 pts like he did vs Seton Hall to make up for being soft.

It’s one game in the noncon and we usually have one or two clunkers in the noncon where we just don’t have a chance.

Hell we got ran out of our own gym by DePaul in one of the Garza years. It happens.

I agree in part---this was a clunker and this team likely finishes among top 4-5 teams in B1G and ncaa tourney.

What I disagree with is that teams like TCU are exactly the type of teams Iowa runs into in NCAA tourney and gets knocked out in either 1st or 2nd game. So getting pounded by an athletic/physical team re-affirms a known weakness with Fran teams.

I agree in part---this was a clunker and this team likely finishes among top 4-5 teams in B1G and ncaa tourney.

What I disagree with is that teams like TCU are exactly the type of teams Iowa runs into in NCAA tourney and gets knocked out in either 1st or 2nd game. So getting pounded by an athletic/physical team re-affirms a known weakness with Fran teams.
Not disagreeing with that point and certainly makes me worried come tourney time. Although we’ve done fine against teams like Rutgers and MSU as of late so it’s not like we’re not capable.

My overall point is it’s a long season. I don’t have enough energy to get too riled up yet lol.

TCU played "bully ball" like Izzo has made a great career from. Hack, push etc. the zebras won't call them all. Frans teams are a "finesse" type.
“Bully ball” is what wins in March, tough physical teams. For better or worse refs are reluctant to decide games come March….Frans style would be great if every game and foul is called perfectly.

There is a reason they say defense and rebounding travels well. When you’re in March, playing in a brand new arena with a different ball….good teams can fall back on defense and rebounding.

Good news is Ulis and Bowen played extremely well. Never thought I’d see Ulis have an offensive game like last night. Take away being down 9-0 and it was a fairly even game. We need to start better and that means playing the best 5. I love Sandfort, but his 3 isn’t falling. He’s passing and rebounding well I think, we need to bring him in off the bench on the front line.

Kris and Patrick both need to play tougher, like the veterans they are. I think they will.

I‘m really pleased with Rebraca for the most part. He just needs some help banging inside with physical teams.

We’ve got two guys coming in next year that look like bangers to me, I don’t think interior physicality has been Frans problem. Guys like a Garza and Keegan and Cook were plenty physical.

Man, I forget names and even where they landed because kids change so often. The one kid from Utah Valley St. that everyone wanted we were right there at the end and then another two fairly solid posts he went after and didn't get from smaller schools.
I believe the kid from Utah State is out with a foot injury for half the season. We were lucky not to get him.

Reactions: hooper56
Soft is the issue.
I view it more about how the game is officiated. The refs took a MSU approach to letting players hack and grab. It’s a travesty to BB, imo. Teams dare the refs to call 40+ fouls. They just won’t do it. The refs are too concerned about the optics of calling an uneven game. What we saw the previous night with the refs looking at the clip again after the announcers questioned them, was telling.

I view it more about how the game is officiated. The refs took a MSU approach to letting players hack and grab. It’s a travesty to BB, imo. Teams dare the refs to call 40+ fouls. They just won’t do it. The refs are too concerned about the optics of calling an uneven game. What we saw the previous night with the refs looking at the clip again after the announcers questioned them, was telling.
lol

Have you ever in your entire life not blamed a loss on officiating?

Btw, if Iowa had a Garza type of player, they win that game.

It's not a knock on Rebraca (but maybe a little on our lack of other bigs in their development process, and Iowa's inability to find a serviceable scoring replacement inside for Garza).

That TCU tree trunk certainly wouldn't have looked like an NBA player swatting 8th graders thinking they'll be the one to score against a pro............

lol

The make up of this team is not built for the Big ball. We are too soft and get killed by physical teams. Kris appears to have listened to too much NBA talk. If he continues to be soft against physical players he is writing his own ticket to the B-League at best. Keegan was not more physically built than Kris but he wanted to dominate and refused to disappear in the offense. As for PM and PS their games rely on them hitting their shots. When they don't they also disappear and play soft defense. As for the bigs Fran has signed...meh.

There were plenty. Inexcusable not to have hit the portal hard for front court help when anyone can see it was going to be a huge problem. Our poor recruiting year after year after year after year doesn’t help either.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Fran attempt to get a big from the portal and struck out each time because of NIL?

Reactions: Bishop1971
Good news is Ulis and Bowen played extremely well. Never thought I’d see Ulis have an offensive game like last night. Take away being down 9-0 and it was a fairly even game. We need to start better and that means playing the best 5. I love Sandfort, but his 3 isn’t falling. He’s passing and rebounding well I think, we need to bring him in off the bench on the front line.

Kris and Patrick both need to play tougher, like the veterans they are. I think they will.

I‘m really pleased with Rebraca for the most part. He just needs some help banging inside with physical teams.

We’ve got two guys coming in next year that look like bangers to me, I don’t think interior physicality has been Frans problem. Guys like a Garza and Keegan and Cook were plenty physical.

Next year? Seem to hear that too often.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
lol

The idea that Iowa can't handle a physical team is faulty as that term physical really means fouling if we are going by the official rules. Iowa couldn't shoot worth shit last night but TCU was also helped by the refs allowing routine fouling without being called. I call it like I see it and part of why CBB officiating drives me nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop1971
It’s pretty comical to see people shocked by things like this. It’s Iowa basketball under Fran, they’re never going to play great D, rebound or mix it up physically in the post.

I have reached apathy with Iowa bball again after last season, I check out the box score for the games…but that’s about it. It’s a lot more peaceful than getting disappointed or worked up about some basketball game.
I think the thing that’s been frustrating with the Fran era is he’s had several teams that were just a player or two away from being a legitimate top ten team. Usually, the deficiencies have been at point guard. I still like this Fran team better than most, but it’s going to be tough to overcome the lack of bigs and poor rebounding come B1G Ten play.

I like Sandfort coming off the bench too. Ulis and Perkins in the backcourt with Kris, PMac, and Rebraca up front.

Unfortunately, PMac has not turned into the player we had hoped. I think that’s the other thing that’s been disappointing—PMac not developing into an all-conference player.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Lol want to bet on that? I’ll even give you incredible odds. Iowa is likely to be a 4-7 pt favorite in that game so you might want to start gathering your money for a nice bet if you feel that strongly about it.
Don’t bogart that joint my friend! Pass it over to me!

I sure would like a hit.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Fran attempt to get a big from the portal and struck out each time because of NIL?
Need to stop striking out!! Immediate playing time at a Big Ten school should be quite attractive. Instead, we go to the Abercrombie sales counter and offer scholarships to guys that were cut from their YMCA teams.

How many times do some of you need to hear/read this. Fran was very busy in the portal. The fact is the good portal guys (with other offers besides Iowa) are getting up front, significant NIL money. Iowa is not in that game to that extent. We can yell "go to the portal" all we want, but no one that is any better than what we have will come if Iowa does not get into that game.
Great! More excuses to fail. Reminds me of the Dr Tom days….always an excuse for being a mediocre to poor team. You either land the guys you need or you don’t. A few kids on this team have no business with a Big Ten b-ball scholarship. Probably great kids, but not going to move the dial on the court.

I think the thing that’s been frustrating with the Fran era is he’s had several teams that were just a player or two away from being a legitimate top ten team. Usually, the deficiencies have been at point guard. I still like this Fran team better than most, but it’s going to be tough to overcome the lack of bigs and poor rebounding come B1G Ten play.
I also believe there is a program culture that lacks mental toughness…we never seem to be capable of putting our heads down and taking care of business. It never fails that there is some big, needless off the court distraction. Taking on the NCAA gift bags, or the parking attendants, or what the fans are tweeting, or what the fans are posting….and it always seems to be followed with a complete disaster on the court.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Btw, if Iowa had a Garza type of player, they win that game.

It's not a knock on Rebraca (but maybe a little on our lack of other bigs in their development process, and Iowa's inability to find a serviceable scoring replacement inside for Garza).

That TCU tree trunk certainly wouldn't have looked like an NBA player swatting 8th graders thinking they'll be the one to score against a pro............
Yep.

Too bad he's a once a century player.

Need to stop striking out!! Immediate playing time at a Big Ten school should be quite attractive. Instead, we go to the Abercrombie sales counter and offer scholarships to guys that were cut from their YMCA teams.
Okay. I’m just saying that’s not Fran’s fault. If he’s going after guys and other mediocre schools are landing them because they have more NIL money to offer, then how is Fran to be blamed?

Yes, Fran recruits too many white kids. We know. Even Larry Bird would get mad when a team guarded him with a white guy. Fran still ain’t changing.

Bitching about the transfer portal at this point seems extremely shortsighted. Not much can be done now. McCaffery tried to get a lot of kids to transfer, he just couldn't sign the deal. Some of that, maybe a lot of that could be because the University seemed very slow to address the NIL issues. We'll see how the approach it next year. With that, we have to play with the roster we have now, which I maintain isn't all that bad of a situation. Plus we have a great class coming in next season. I don't see any reason to throw up our hands and panic.

Okay. I’m just saying that’s not Fran’s fault. If he’s going after guys and other mediocre schools are landing them because they have more NIL money to offer, then how is Fran to be blamed?

Yes, Fran recruits too many white kids. We know. Even Larry Bird would get mad when a team guarded him with a white guy. Fran still ain’t changing.
It's quite comical so called 'fans' are going to complain we don't get anyone from the portal or highly ranked recruits. Wasn't top 50 recruit JP Estrella all but ours until Tennessee swooped in with $400K? Fran publicly stated we struck out out on a couple of portal guys due to our NIL not being set up yet. I know this has been talked about in the lounge but if you donate to swarm I wish there was a way it could show next to your name so those that haven't can be put on ignore or put in their place. Because they truly can't be Iowa fans if they don't donate but then complain we don't reel any of them in.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Yeah, these are the exact same posts you get after the first bad loss every year when Iowa misses a bunch of 3s.

Its never accurate.

some posters wanted Fran fired after losing to the Clowns last year

now, after losing to TCU, I see posters showing up wondering if it's time for a coaching change.

it's like clock work for them

Yes...good atheletic defense also usually means outstanding defensive rebounding. Iowa gave up 55% from the field and 36% from 3pt line to a TCU team that didn't have any pure shooters. They just had guys that took it to the rack and finished or got the rebound and put it back if they missed.

The frontline of Murray, PMAC, Rebraca with either Sandfort/CMAC are all finess players, or perimeter oriented. In games like this, Iowa needs Murray to go off for 29 pts like he did vs Seton Hall to make up for being soft.
In no way is Rebraca a finesse player. He has a very limited offensive game. He is fairly physical but a bit undersized, and not as athletic as a lot of the guys he faces.

some posters wanted Fran fired after losing to the Clowns last year

now, after losing to TCU, I see posters showing up wondering if it's time for a coaching change.

it's like clock work for them
They absolutely live for the opportunity to trash the Coach and program, don’t give a dime to help the program. Absolute trash.

Half court offense, rebounding and D has been an issue for years. D is showing signs of improvement but until the rebounding can be upgraded, which in turn can get the Hawks out running and scoring, I don’t see the half court being enough to make the difference in games.

Other than Luka getting his own missed bunny or the occasional bounce his way Iowa hasn’t been a team that regularly creates second chance scores. Shot goes up and people are peeling off and heading back down court to reduce the numbers advantage.

KenPom has documented that you need a top 70 defense to make a Final 4 (Iowa has not made a Final 4 in 42 years).

Out of 358 teams, here are Iowa's finishes in Kenpom adjusted defense the past 4 years plus Iowa's ranking so far this season:

2019- 111
2020- 97
2021- 75
2022- 80
2023 - 68

Player of the year 2 years in a row? His recruiting is not in question unless you have trouble with reality.

Luka was a 3 star that developed. How heavily recruited were the Murray twins and thanks to dad for that. Fran miss’s on the 4 star and above immediate impact guys. You’re okay with mediocrity, not all of us are.

Luka was a 3 star that developed. How heavily recruited were the Murray twins and thanks to dad for that. Fran miss’s on the 4 star and above immediate impact guys. You’re okay with mediocrity, not all of us are.
Sounds like it's time for you to pony up. See link please.

Iowa lost by 13.

Some key stats (all advantage TCU):

2nd chance points:
11 IOWA
17 TCU

Points in the paint
42 Iowa
58 TCU

Layups
16-31 Iowa
20-33 TCU

I think Ogundele has earned more playing time. The guy is hard to move. Hopefully he continues to play well and can help down low.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT