ADVERTISEMENT

One Game, but.....

The idea that Iowa can't handle a physical team is faulty as that term physical really means fouling if we are going by the official rules. Iowa couldn't shoot worth shit last night but TCU was also helped by the refs allowing routine fouling without being called. I call it like I see it and an part of why CBB officiating drives me nuts.

whatever happened to that "freedom of movement" concept that was supposed to come back to the game?

It's quite comical so called 'fans' are going to complain we don't get anyone from the portal or highly ranked recruits. Wasn't top 50 recruit JP Estrella all but ours until Tennessee swooped in with $400K? Fran publicly stated we struck out out on a couple of portal guys due to our NIL not being set up yet. I know this has been talked about in the lounge but if you donate to swarm I wish there was a way it could show next to your name so those that haven't can be put on ignore or put in their place. Because they truly can't be Iowa fans if they don't donate but then complain we don't reel any of them in.

I have no words for your arrogance. There are a lot of fans/folks that are struggling to put food on their table in today's world. You should be ashamed.

• Haha
Reactions: fivecardstud14
It's quite comical so called 'fans' are going to complain we don't get anyone from the portal or highly ranked recruits. Wasn't top 50 recruit JP Estrella all but ours until Tennessee swooped in with $400K? Fran publicly stated we struck out out on a couple of portal guys due to our NIL not being set up yet. I know this has been talked about in the lounge but if you donate to swarm I wish there was a way it could show next to your name so those that haven't can be put on ignore or put in their place. Because they truly can't be Iowa fans if they don't donate but then complain we don't reel any of them in.

Good post, Jed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but even if we had a well funded NIL, isn't Fran reluctant to guarantee a high school kid $400,000 when no one else on the roster is making that?

Reactions: GRT2B1
whatever happened to that "freedom of movement" concept that was supposed to come back to the game?
It only exists to certain officials regularly. The rest decide on a per game basis or what the announcers tell them to do.

Good post, Jed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but even if we had a well funded NIL, isn't Fran reluctant to guarantee a high school kid $400,000 when no one else on the roster is making that?
It's my understanding Swarm is set up that all players in men's football, men's basketball and women's basketball all get an equal portion and then you have the choice to have money you donate to 'superstars.'

I have no words for your arrogance. There are a lot of fans/folks that are struggling to put food on their table in today's world. You should be ashamed.
I understand and if they aren't able to donate that is understandable. But to bitch and complain about our roster when we all have the opportunity to join swarm and put their money where their mouth is is pretty straight forward IMO.

Reactions: EduNeerHawk
Man, I forget names and even where they landed because kids change so often. The one kid from Utah Valley St. that everyone wanted we were right there at the end and then another two fairly solid posts he went after and didn't get from smaller schools.
I don't know what Fran or didn't do in the portal but the results are what they are. I have a hard time believing that after Garza being on the national radar his last two seasons that Iowa can't entice a serviceable + big out of the portal. If Fran was chasing unicorns and missed, then that's on him. A James Winters, Kent Hill, Jacob Jaacks, or Cy Tate would be major upgrades to Josh and Mulvey.

Reactions: HawkLogic
Good news is Ulis and Bowen played extremely well. Never thought I’d see Ulis have an offensive game like last night. Take away being down 9-0 and it was a fairly even game. We need to start better and that means playing the best 5. I love Sandfort, but his 3 isn’t falling. He’s passing and rebounding well I think, we need to bring him in off the bench on the front line.
I checked game stats. Sandfort had the best +- rating of the top 8 players. A -2!!! He played 16 minutes, 5 rbs, 7 pts, 3 assists. For 16 minutes that isn't bad. It just looks bad because of 0/3 3pt shooting.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Need to stop striking out!! Immediate playing time at a Big Ten school should be quite attractive. Instead, we go to the Abercrombie sales counter and offer scholarships to guys that were cut from their YMCA teams.
I hope you’re contributing to The Swarm. Link at the top of the page of the basketball forum

PMAC got clean looks on his 0-3. Sandfort rushed his 0-3 shots. CMAC looked to be pretty deep on his 0-2. Perks also 0-2.....lot of Iowa guys took 3pt shots, most of them pulled an 0-fer.

17 3pt shots isn't a lot...3-17 isn't very good but I also think TCU played pretty good defense and didn't give Iowa wide open looks. I don't think Iowa is going to beat a team like TCU withought shooting the 3ball well because we won't beat them in low post or 2nd chance paint points or full court press.

dissappointing loss....Fran needs to go with more ulis/bowen
Yes. Santfort rushes his shot. Did last year, too.

If Iowa doesn't get into the NCAA tournament or fails to win at least one game, it's time for a leadership change.

I don't know what Fran or didn't do in the portal but the results are what they are. I have a hard time believing that after Garza being on the national radar his last two seasons that Iowa can't entice a serviceable + big out of the portal. If Fran was chasing unicorns and missed, then that's on him. A James Winters, Kent Hill, Jacob Jaacks, or Cy Tate would be major upgrades to Josh and Mulvey.
Dude seriously. I have been critical of Fran's approach to defense (or the lack thereof) and his inability to get a team past the first round of the tournament the last 2 years despite being 2 and 5 seed is glaring.

But to answer your question, no, the vast majority of recruits that Iowa would want don't give two shits about Garza being on the national radar and Keegan Murray being the #4 pick. If all things are equal, they are going to go to school where they get six figures just for going there over getting $10k per year going to Iowa. I mean, they would like to play in Iowa's offense as Fran has demonstrated big guys get the opportunity to spread the floor and Fran lets the guys play on offense. But yes, it is damn near impossible to get even a "serviceable" player out of the portal without major NIL money guaranteed to go along with it. And technically schools aren't supposed to be able to "guarantee" NIL money but we all know that's not how this thing is working.

Fans may not like it (just outright paying for players to come to school). But this is the state of the game today. So continuing to yell at Fran for not doing more to address the roster in the off-season won't get anywhere. This has almost zero to do with Fran and everything to do with where a kid is going to get the best deal financially.

We play a small lineup and pmac had zero boards. This team will get absolutely bullied against physical tournament teams if Pmac and Kris don’t toughen up and rebound. Pat is incredibly soft.

It's my understanding Swarm is set up that all players in men's football, men's basketball and women's basketball all get an equal portion and then you have the choice to have money you donate to 'superstars.'
They are giving the same to men’s and women’s bball? Jfc. Good luck boys.

Reactions: RocknRollface
This will be a different type of season,.. We don't have a dominant inside presence, so it's going to be necessary for us to play more small ball,.. Luckily we do have small.

They are giving the same to men’s and women’s bball? Jfc. Good luck boys.
That is one portion. And then there is a portion where donators can designate who specifically gets a donation. So Caitlin Clark will get more than the 12th girl at the end of the bench. So if you'd like to donate you can have yours specifically designated to the mens. But you can go to the site and also the organizers are very responsive to answering questions. The last few weeks with many lounge members joining the amount of members have really increased.

That is one portion. And then there is a portion where donators can designate who specifically gets a donation. So Caitlin Clark will get more than the 12th girl at the end of the bench. So if you'd like to donate you can have yours specifically designated to the mens. But you can go to the site and also the organizers are very responsive to answering questions. The last few weeks with many lounge members joining the amount of members have really increased.
Thanks for the reply. That clears things up a lot. My comment was a little harsh without all the info just an awful weekend for the hawks.

Fran can go to the portal like everyone else but he is too good for it. The result is a tenacious but undersized Rebraca and two busts in Mulvey and Josh. You cannot tell me out of the hundreds of dudes in the portal there wasn't a physical PF interested in playing at the P5 level. It's so maddening to see Fran's arrogance cost this team a shot at a Sweet 16 again.
This

We might as well copy and paste this after our loses this year. CBB is full of 6'9 athletic dudes that want to play P5 or change schools. We don't even need that person to score- just need him to rebound and swat shots. Mind blowing they couldn't/wouldn't go after someone.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
This will be a different type of season,.. We don't have a dominant inside presence, so it's going to be necessary for us to play more small ball,.. Luckily we do have small.
Right, which is why its going to be next to impossible to beat teams like TCU if you shoot poorly from 3.

Unfortunately thats mostly what this team will be, live and die by 3s.

Right, which is why its going to be next to impossible to beat teams like TCU if you shoot poorly from 3.

Unfortunately thats mostly what this team will be, live and die by 3s.

Has to be a combination of 3's, quick slashing drives to the hoop, and earned free throws,.. Trying to live and die by any one of those three will just be dying.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I would not expect this team to beat anyone when they go 3-17 from 3. Sure its still possible but I wouldn't expect it.

Pretty fair statement,.. On the road, unfamiliar venue, one day turnaround with back to back physical games, I'd expect the 3 point shot to be the first thing to falter,.. Not concerned yet, it's a long season.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that there is a flu bug or something similar going around the team. Watching the game it seemed as though Murray was lethargic. Noticed it in Patrick on the second night as well. There never seemed to be any real fire both nights.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that there is a flu bug or something similar going around the team. Watching the game it seemed as though Murray was lethargic. Noticed it in Patrick on the second night as well. There never seemed to be any real fire both nights.
I thought the same. Lack of energy for sure. Kris didn't look right but he would never use illness as an excuse.

Good post, Jed.

Dude seriously. I have been critical of Fran's approach to defense (or the lack thereof) and his inability to get a team past the first round of the tournament the last 2 years despite being 2 and 5 seed is glaring.

But to answer your question, no, the vast majority of recruits that Iowa would want don't give two shits about Garza being on the national radar and Keegan Murray being the #4 pick. If all things are equal, they are going to go to school where they get six figures just for going there over getting $10k per year going to Iowa. I mean, they would like to play in Iowa's offense as Fran has demonstrated big guys get the opportunity to spread the floor and Fran lets the guys play on offense. But yes, it is damn near impossible to get even a "serviceable" player out of the portal without major NIL money guaranteed to go along with it. And technically schools aren't supposed to be able to "guarantee" NIL money but we all know that's not how this thing is working.

Fans may not like it (just outright paying for players to come to school). But this is the state of the game today. So continuing to yell at Fran for not doing more to address the roster in the off-season won't get anywhere. This has almost zero to do with Fran and everything to do with where a kid is going to get the best deal financially.

This has nothing to do with your response but I don't know what to believe about the NIL. We all read these stories about player X getting some lucrative NIL deal but where is the money coming from? I can see it at Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Oregon and a handful of other schools but how many other programs have alumni with this kind of cash to throw around?

I find it hard to believe that Iowa State, Creighton, Gonzaga, and countless other programs have millionaire boosters kicking out six figure NIL deals to mid-major transfers. There is nothing binding that obligates player X to stay so can these dudes go free agent every year until they exhaust their eligibility? Charlie Moore would have been able to retire after his final game.

The math doesn't add up. There are literally hundreds of kids in the portal every year and they cannot all be cashing in on lucrative NIL deals--there isn't enough money to go around. I get it if you are saying school A can offer $20K and Iowa can only offer $5K, but not all these kids are getting six figures and we could find someone in the clearance aisle that would be an upgrade to what we have at the 5 spot in Josh and Mulvey.

Reactions: littlez
This has nothing to do with your response but I don't know what to believe about the NIL. We all read these stories about player X getting some lucrative NIL deal but where is the money coming from? I can see it at Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Oregon and a handful of other schools but how many other programs have alumni with this kind of cash to throw around?

I find it hard to believe that Iowa State, Creighton, Gonzaga, and countless other programs have millionaire boosters kicking out six figure NIL deals to mid-major transfers. There is nothing binding that obligates player X to stay so can these dudes go free agent every year until they exhaust their eligibility? Charlie Moore would have been able to retire after his final game.

The math doesn't add up. There are literally hundreds of kids in the portal every year and they cannot all be cashing in on lucrative NIL deals--there isn't enough money to go around. I get it if you are saying school A can offer $20K and Iowa can only offer $5K, but not all these kids are getting six figures and we could find someone in the clearance aisle that would be an upgrade to what we have at the 5 spot in Josh and Mulvey.
I'm saying yes they are and yes at most all power conference schools this is what is happening. Iowa's private donations to the UI Foundation I'm sure are north of $50M per year, it is likely more. You don't think these other schools have NIL's funded that provide for six figures for incoming prospects? Otz at ISU is a good recruiter, but you think it happenstance that he has a class coming in of all 4 and 5-star talent waiting to play in Ames?

It's rumored that Estrella got $400k to go to Tennessee. Tennessee. Pretty good tradition in hoops, but not Duke, KU, etc. So yes, I'm saying that these other schools have boosters kicking in the funds. Iowa may not have them to the scale of a Phil Knight at Oregon or the rabid fan base of a Tennessee, but Iowa is going to have to shift the focus. The Athletic Department is going to need to encourage its boosters to spend less on the foundation and more on NIL for player procurement and retention.

Ryan Day at OSU was speaking at a OSU alumni event (similar to the I-Club). His comments were that they would need $13M annually at OSU to field a roster. If you just divide that up among 85 scholarships that is a bit over $150k per player. Some are probably well above that, some less.

I do believe there is plenty of money to go around for good players in the portal. The receivers and QB at Nebraska this year I am very certain got six figure deals to go to Nebraska. Random backup at Iowa who hasn't played enters the portal, not likely to get money. Actual good player that multiple teams are offering, yes I'm saying that player is getting a lot of money.

I'm saying yes they are and yes at most all power conference schools this is what is happening. Iowa's private donations to the UI Foundation I'm sure are north of $50M per year, it is likely more. You don't think these other schools have NIL's funded that provide for six figures for incoming prospects? Otz at ISU is a good recruiter, but you think it happenstance that he has a class coming in of all 4 and 5-star talent waiting to play in Ames?

It's rumored that Estrella got $400k to go to Tennessee. Tennessee. Pretty good tradition in hoops, but not Duke, KU, etc. So yes, I'm saying that these other schools have boosters kicking in the funds. Iowa may not have them to the scale of a Phil Knight at Oregon or the rabid fan base of a Tennessee, but Iowa is going to have to shift the focus. The Athletic Department is going to need to encourage its boosters to spend less on the foundation and more on NIL for player procurement and retention.

Ryan Day at OSU was speaking at a OSU alumni event (similar to the I-Club). His comments were that they would need $13M annually at OSU to field a roster. If you just divide that up among 85 scholarships that is a bit over $150k per player. Some are probably well above that, some less.

I do believe there is plenty of money to go around for good players in the portal. The receivers and QB at Nebraska this year I am very certain got six figure deals to go to Nebraska. Random backup at Iowa who hasn't played enters the portal, not likely to get money. Actual good player that multiple teams are offering, yes I'm saying that player is getting a lot of money.

Good post Dodger....I agree.

I get that NIL is a real thing and is definitely impacting transfers, but I do doubt that ISU is massively outspending Iowa in NIL dollars. I don't believe they have it to spend. Otz has always recruited Wisconsin well, the guard coming in had both parents as ISU alums, and the 5 star is local but was likely under-recruited as many thought he was D-league bound and wouldn't plan college. Don't know about the KC kid.

Agree that Iowa is unlikely to be on the short list of programs with the ability to throw a lot of cash at the highest end recruits.
But, they can certainly "Moneyball" to the extent possible.
With NIL moving things further down the pathway toward unlimited capitalism, I'm not seeing paying everyone the same wage as working well over time. Iowa will need to have a pay differential to be competitive for the mid level free agents and high schoolers in the 100-200 range. Top 50 players are even further out of their range than they were before.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
I get that NIL is a real thing and is definitely impacting transfers, but I do doubt that ISU is massively outspending Iowa in NIL dollars. I don't believe they have it to spend. Otz has always recruited Wisconsin well, the guard coming in had both parents as ISU alums, and the 5 star is local but was likely under-recruited as many thought he was D-league bound and wouldn't plan college. Don't know about the KC kid.

Correct, ISU is not outspending anybody in NIL as it currently stands. There were a lot of personal connections that lead to this recruiting class which is a really good thing and hopefully continues but we'll see how the next few years go. ISU's top two targets for 2024 are a HS teammate of Momcilovic and JT Rock obviously and ISU just doesn't have the cash to pay what either could probably get from blue bloods. We'll see what happens.

I'm going with...

It's a good early season wake up call. Bounce back against GT because Duke with the eyes of the nation upon you is waiting in the wings.

Many times we've seen Fran teams look worse than they have to date, and they've managed to put together a competitive season. I think they'll bounce back.

How can you pay a player a six figure income and not have that player be a professional player?

How can you pay a player a six figure income and not have that player be a professional player?
Hey, that's all in them doing their taxes. Caitlin Clark has deals from Hy-Vee and Nike. My guess is she's receiving north of $1M in income for 2022-23.

I get it, it's not really amateur sports per se any more. But it really hasn't been for quite some time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT