ADVERTISEMENT

Only For The Mature BB Fan - Freddie Brown

Here's another Freddie story, pure hearsay. Have a cousin that grew up in Burlington and attended some of his JC games. Swears vehemently to this day the coach and team had a well understood and accepted agreement about the game plan. Start of the game, Freddie shoots till he misses.
Had the opportunity to shoot some baskets with Freddy pre season when he played for Burlington Jr College. They came to Keokuk to scrimmage. I was there with the KHS team finishing up practice. I had no idea he would be such a superstar (which he became) nice guy as I remember. We shot around on the side baskets with some of the guys. I have been watching Hawkeye BB since the Chris Pervall, George Peeples days as a kid. Great memories,

Believe that BOTH Johnny Johnson and Fred Brown from the Milwaukee area.

Right ?? GO HAWKS :)

Correct, both from Milwaukee proper. Brown born and raised in Milwaukee while Johnson was born in MS and raised in Milwaukee. Different high schools though.

As as aside, the state of MS has been very, very good to Iowa hoops. Arguably the two best players ever to play hoops for the Hawks were both born in MS.

Johnny played for Messmer High, a team in the Milwaukee area Catholic league. Didn't see him play in person but saw Messmer win the WISAA State Title in 1966. Interestingly, Milwaukee Lincoln won the WIAA State title that year.

Last edited:
Had the opportunity to shoot some baskets with Freddy pre season when he played for Burlington Jr College. They came to Keokuk to scrimmage. I was there with the KHS team finishing up practice. I had no idea he would be such a superstar (which he became) nice guy as I remember. We shot around on the side baskets with some of the guys. I have been watching Hawkeye BB since the Chris Pervall, George Peeples days as a kid. Great memories,

you & I are one in the same...Pervall has never been given the credit he deserves..Peeples, Denny Pauling, etc ... great time to start the journey as an Iowa fan...

our family had alot of contact with Chad Calabria during his years at Iowa 67-70...I'm probably one of the few people still alive that went to the NCAA's in 1970 in Columbus...Fred scored the what should have been the winning basket....damn it.

Reactions: Speedway1
Don't forget Gary Olson from little Olds, IA and Gerry Jones. They were both the same era as the guys listed above. Great times growing up and listening to these Hawks play.

While I'm at it , Dick Jensen was a good , serviceable 6' 8" center for the great 6 pack team.
But, in the same era, the state of Iowa produced two outstanding centers. Kevin Kunnert of Dubuque Wahlert was a great Hawkeye and I think is undervalued in history. Another great center was Bob Netolicky of Cedar Rapids who played on some great Drake teams and then for the Indiana Pacers very successfully.
Both of these guys were great players in the late 60's / early 70's.

While I'm at it , Dick Jensen was a good , serviceable 6' 8" center for the great 6 pack team.
But, in the same era, the state of Iowa produced two outstanding centers. Kevin Kunnert of Dubuque Wahlert was a great Hawkeye and I think is undervalued in history. Another great center was Bob Netolicky of Cedar Rapids who played on some great Drake teams and then for the Indiana Pacers very successfully.
Both of these guys were great players in the late 60's / early 70's.
You could make a pretty good case that Kunnert is the best center Iowa has ever had.

Acie Earl. I think Reggie is/was a true power forward.
I'd rate Kunnert at 1 and Greg Stokes at 2 and Acie at 3 all time centers at Iowa. Hope I didn't forget someone.

Reactions: Speedway1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT