ADVERTISEMENT

OpinionThe last remnants of the Republican Party died in Iowa

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
They lined up for hours, some of them, in the minus-38-degree wind chill to see their candidate. It was the only rally Donald Trump was giving in the state in the days before Monday’s caucuses, so for the MAGA faithful, this was the golden ticket.

For the lucky 500 Trump followers admitted to the event space, the Trump campaign played a video reminding voters that Trump had already come in first place in the God primary.
“And on June 14, 1946, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, ‘I need a caretaker.’ So God gave us Trump,” the narrator proclaimed.
“God said, ‘I need somebody willing to get up before dawn, fix this country, work all day, fight the Marxists, eat supper, then go to the Oval Office and stay past midnight. … So God made Trump.”

“‘I need somebody with arms strong enough to rassle the deep state and yet gentle enough to deliver his own grandchild.’ … So God gave us Trump.”

And then it came to pass, a few minutes later, that this midwife-turned-prophet took the stage in the ballroom, and he spake thus to his flock:

“We’ve got a crooked country,” run by “stupid people,” “corrupt,” “incompetent,” “the worst.”
Trump, in the gospel according to Trump, was the victim of “hoaxes,” “witch hunts,” “lies,” “fake indictments,” “fake trials,” judges who “are animals,” a “rigged election,” “rigged indictments,” and a “rigged Department of Justice where we have radical left, bad people, lunatics.”

The nation’s capital, Washington, D.C., “is a rat-infested, graffiti-infested shithole,” he said, with swastikas all over the national monuments.
His opponents, the prophet Trump continued, are “Marxists,” “communists,” “fascists,” “liars, cheaters, thugs, perverts, frauds, crooks, freaks, creeps,” “warmongers” and “globalists.”

Immigrants are like a “vicious snake,” whose “bite is poisonous,” he told them, and there is an “invasion” at the border by “terrorists,” “jailbirds” and “drug lords.”
“Our country is dying,” he informed them. And, by the way, “You’re very close to World War III.”
Have a nice day!
It was, in short, a slightly updated version of the rage, paranoia, victimhood, lies and demonization that propelled Trump’s popularity over the past eight years. Yet there was something else Trump said in his appearance here at Simpson College, south of Des Moines, that, I’m sorry to say, seems reasonably accurate.

“MAGA is taking over,” he told his chilled but enraptured supporters. “On the fake news, they say MAGA represents 44 percent of the Republicans. No, no. MAGA represents 95 percent of the Republican Party.”

His numbers might be off, but the observation is true. Iowa’s Republican presidential caucuses Monday night were an overwhelming triumph for Trump, who in early results was more than 30 points ahead of his nearest competitor and getting more votes than the rest of the field combined. The voters had shown that there essentially is no Republican other than a MAGA Republican.
Trump’s opponents deserve partial blame for that, for failing to take him on more directly. But some of their candidacies, in tone and substance, offered real alternatives to Trump’s rage-filled nativism. The ominous truth is there just wasn’t appetite in the electorate for a non-Trumpian candidate. In Iowa — and probably elsewhere, alas — they are all MAGA Republicans now.

People here just won’t stop complaining about the weather.

“On Monday, it’s going to be so cold — like, I don’t even know what negative-15 is,” said Nikki Haley.
“Maybe negative-20,” fretted Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
Trump called off all but one of his pre-caucus rallies for “the safety of MAGA patriots across Iowa.”
What a bunch of snowflakes!

Admittedly, it is nippy here — exposed skin can succumb to frostbite in about 10 minutes — but the Republican candidates should have been well used to this by now. The GOP presidential primary campaign has been frozen for the better part of a year.
Trump led by a mile in the early polls. He led by a mile in the final polls. Iowa’s frigid Republican voters never warmed to any message that isn’t MAGA.

The candidates who explicitly opposed Trump — Chris Christie and Asa Hutchinson — went nowhere. Recognizing the peril of opposing Trump, the other candidates did their best to emphasize their similarities with him.

DeSantis offered all of the Trump thuggery and culture wars with none of the Trump pizazz. Vivek Ramaswamy promised to be Trumpier than Trump. Even Haley, who offered the greatest contrast with Trump, was so mild in her critique of the man that she’s broadly seen as auditioning to be his vice president. This isn’t cowardice on her part but a concession to reality. Consider that, when the Des Moines Register poll asked likely Republican caucus voters last month about Trump’s Nazi-tinged talk of migrants “poisoning the blood” of the country and his political opponents being “vermin,” pluralities said such statements made them more likely to support Trump.
I used to think there was a large enough anti-Trump contingent in the Republican electorate that, if given a clear alternative to the demagogue, they would take it. But in Iowa, the voters had such a chance — and stuck with Trump.

It’s fair to ask whether the candidates wasted their time even coming to Iowa. Trump skipped the debates and did minimal campaigning here, and the old notion that retail politics in Iowa can propel little-known candidates to glory seemed no longer to apply. It was never a contest.

It’s obvious that journalists wasted their time; more than 1,000 came for the caucuses, waiting out the storm at the Hotel Fort Des Moines speakeasy, dining with each other, outnumbering actual Iowans at candidate events and descending paparazzi-style on the few genuine voters present. Leaving a Haley event, I heard one voter rebuff a reporter’s request for an interview: “I’ve already done three, but thank you.”
I arrived in Des Moines Thursday morning, and because Trump held only the one rally, on Sunday, I had three days to spend with the losers, examining their failures to launch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT