ADVERTISEMENT

OT: B1G Turnover

Not that I've seen. I think he just wants feedback, but since he has declared, I'm marking it for now. There's always a handful of head scratches each year.

Reactions: nagemj02
Nick Fuller and Michael Jacobson (Jacobson's transfer announced today) are also transferring from Nebraska. If anyone's counting, that's 4 outgoing transfers from Nebraska this offseason, which brings the grand total up to about 15 (or more) in Miles' five seasons in Lincoln.

Lots of late news today:

Wilson and Wagner from Michigan entering draft
Jacobson leaving Nebraska
Haas testing NBA

Lots of late news today:

Wilson and Wagner from Michigan entering draft
Jacobson leaving Nebraska
Haas testing NBA

Are Wagner and Wilson both hiring agents or no?

Back to Nebraska, what's the over/under on Glynn Watson leading the conference in scoring next season?

Wow Jacobsen gone too. Miles better hope the transfers he has for next year are worth something.

Well, I realized that they're projected to return Glynn Watson, Evan Taylor, Jack McVeigh, Isaiah Roby and big Jordy Tshimanga, (plus transfer guard James Palmer and the aforementioned Isaac Copeland) so the cupboard isn't quite as bare as I thought. However, outside of those incoming transfers, they only have one newcomer next season (a lightly regarded freshman) so they really only have 7 to 8 possible rotation players right now (the others are walk-ons).

Bump for Thomas Bryant - declared for the draft without an agent. Looks like we're mostly waiting on MSU to get things pretty well wrapped up. Then we get to wait to see who actually stays in the draft.

Bridges is reportedly leaning towards staying at Michigan St. He cancelled his meeting with an agent. To me, that's a dumb move. I believe he was projected to go in the late lottery, no later than pick 20. He's not going to go much higher than that.

Uh no. The draft is deep this year and week next year. If Bridges comes back he will play the 3 at MSU which is most likely the position he will play in the NBA. He will go from top 20 pick this year to top 5 pick next year due to next years weak draft. Not a dumb move because he will get the opportunity to work on his handle and his off the dribble moves.

Uh no. The draft is deep this year and week next year. If Bridges comes back he will play the 3 at MSU which is most likely the position he will play in the NBA. He will go from top 20 pick this year to top 5 pick next year due to next years weak draft. Not a dumb move because he will get the opportunity to work on his handle and his off the dribble moves.

There are simply very few cases where a player will improve his stock enough that sacrificing a full year at a seven figure salary is a viable move, especially in the long run, this slices a year off the back end of their career when he's potentially earning big veteran money. The common counter to this, as you mentioned, is that college helps for NBA preparedness. This doesn't make sense. He can work on his handle and off the dribble moves in the NBA. Plus, the NBA contains no classes to attend and no grades to achieve. They can devote their time exclusively for basketball. Add in the fact that resources like training staffs and devotion to a players body aren't even on the same planet between college and the pros.

Reactions: FlintTown
There are simply very few cases where a player will improve his stock enough that sacrificing a full year at a seven figure salary is a viable move, especially in the long run, this slices a year off the back end of their career when he's potentially earning big veteran money. The common counter to this, as you mentioned, is that college helps for NBA preparedness. This doesn't make sense. He can work on his handle and off the dribble moves in the NBA. Plus, the NBA contains no classes to attend and no grades to achieve. They can devote their time exclusively for basketball. Add in the fact that resources like training staffs and devotion to a players body aren't even on the same planet between college and the pros.

I think with where Bridges is at this point in life, there are very few "bad" choices. I assume at this point MSU would be paying for an insurance policy, similar to the NFL prospects we hear about, so he's likely got that as a safety net if he wants to delay the NBA. There is no doubt he'll get drafted and get an opportunity there, or he can come back to college and enjoy that lifestyle for another year (and get one step closer to a degree if that is important to him).

His release and the one for the guard were granted today. Talk is that MIizzou is the favorite. So what is Counzo putting in the water in Columbia?

Porter played high school ball here. His dad was an assistant for the Mizzou girls team. Tilmon looked at Mizzou from the get go but Anderson couldn't get him and SLU is still in the picture, at least that's the talk here. Getting the number 1 kid in the nation to play has it's perks, don't think there's a lot more to it than that.

Reactions: Clonewithasigh
Porter played high school ball here. His dad was an assistant for the Mizzou girls team. Tilmon looked at Mizzou from the get go but Anderson couldn't get him and SLU is still in the picture, at least that's the talk here. Getting the number 1 kid in the nation to play has it's perks, don't think there's a lot more to it than that.
I know its just easy to bag on Martin because he hired Porters dad, but I believe there was a connection with them before. I guess we shouldn't complain, Iowa has the chance to bag two top 100 players because their dads the head coach, so there's that.:p

We will test those perks first game of the year. We welcome the challenge.

Not B1G related, but I think I heard that the Lawson brothers, who lit us us up for 52 when we played Memphis St., are both transferring to Kansas.

In fact, Tubby is having some serious transfer issues this postseason.

Last edited:
Not B1G related, but I think I heard that the Lawson brothers, who lit us us up for 52 when we played Memphis St., are both transferring to Kansas.
Yep, KU is trying to load back up quickly. Hope this makes the Hutch player consider the Clones over KU for playing time.

Thanks for the updates. IU could have been really good, but I guess their players don't want to be coached. If Wagner and Wilson hire agents, that should put UM into the bottom half of the league. Hawks chances for a top 4 finish in the B1G seem to be getting a lot better as we approach the NBA draft. MSU should be really good. Minny and NW should also be good. Purdue will also be pretty good, assuming V Edwards comes back, but Haas is mainly just BIG.

Last edited:
Can we stop talking up Miles now? :) For the life of me I've not understood the infatuation Iowa fans have had with the guy.
Me either. But Iowa comes across as extremely envious of Nebraska in Football, Basketball and even in wrestling for some reason.

Me either. But Iowa comes across as extremely envious of Nebraska in Football, Basketball and even in wrestling for some reason.

If some Iowa fans come across as extremely envious of Nebraska basketball .... those that do have not looked at the history between the two, NCAA invites & head-head...they do have a nice facility.

I think its more of the case where 'some' (minority) Iowa 'fans' cant find enough reasons to complain about.....'Iowa'...even to the point there was some wondering how long do we give Fran. When Miles makes "1" NCAA it was suggested he would 'own' Fran when it came to recruiting...Fran makes '3' in a row and some wondered why in year 7 we would not make it 4.

Those that put Miles on a pedestal because he takes Nebraska to one NCAA are silent now.

Yeah, saw a tweet that 3 Simeon guys signed in the B1G that year, Moss is the only one still at the first school.

WTF are you talking about? Envious of Nebraska basketball and wrestling? Thanks for the laugh on a boring Tuesday morning. And not in football either, maybe Nebraska fans should wake up from the 1990's.

2 key players return to school after testing the draft process:

Robert Johnson (Indiana)
Isaac Haas (Purdue)

PS - does Haas have the largest percentage of "A"s in a name in history?
Johnson was pretty critical to IU's success next year. I am not a huge fan of Haas, who is mostly just REALLY big. Was Swanigan the only Boiler who entered the draft early?

Johnson was pretty critical to IU's success next year. I am not a huge fan of Haas, who is mostly just REALLY big. Was Swanigan the only Boiler who entered the draft early?
Can you not scroll back to the initial post? I'm keeping the list up to date.

Vince Edwards is also an early entrant, although the NBA is higher on him than I expected, so he has a real decision to make.

Reactions: nagemj02
Thanks. I didn't realize you were updating. Vince Edwards is Purdue's version of Baer and is important to their success next year, much more than Haas IMO.

I think the "undecided" is really just confirming that he is expected to be drafted and there isn't something simple he can do to increase his earnings by waiting a year. As the article mentions, he is related to an agent, so it isn't like he's going through this process at a complete disadvantage compared to other players who have signed. He just has to represent himself until the decision is finalized.

That said, until he signs or we pass the deadline, there's always a chance he comes back (and launches Purdue further toward the top of the league).

Reactions: CanadaHawk
I think the "undecided" is really just confirming that he is expected to be drafted and there isn't something simple he can do to increase his earnings by waiting a year. As the article mentions, he is related to an agent, so it isn't like he's going through this process at a complete disadvantage compared to other players who have signed. He just has to represent himself until the decision is finalized.

That said, until he signs or we pass the deadline, there's always a chance he comes back (and launches Purdue further toward the top of the league).
Deadline to withdraw is next Wednesday, May 25?

Yeah - that's my understanding. I'm still getting used to this new process with all the underclassmen "testing".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT