ADVERTISEMENT

OT: B1G Turnover

OP, I don't know if you already considered this as past news but Purdue forward Basil Smotherman was dismissed from the program in late January and subsequently graduated and is transferring (to Georgia State). Isaac Haas is returning. Vince Edwards and Caleb Swanigan will make their decisions known in the next 24 hours. Most of us Purdue fans expect VE to return, but Biggie is a toss-up.

Ah, thanks for Smotherman. I had forgotten, as I think it was announced pretty early on (before I was thinking about the thread).

Additionally:
Justin Jackson, Mo Wagner, and Vince Edwards officially out of the draft

Reactions: nagemj02
Ah, thanks for Smotherman. I had forgotten, as I think it was announced pretty early on (before I was thinking about the thread).

Additionally:
Justin Jackson, Mo Wagner, and Vince Edwards officially out of the draft
Wonder what Wilson is going to do?

If Swanigan returns, he must really not like what he is hearing from the pros. I don't know how he can do much more in college than he did last season.

If Swanigan returns, he must really not like what he is hearing from the pros. I don't know how he can do much more in college than he did last season.

Yep, we've had a few discussions about this on the Purdue Free Board, lol.

Yep, and in the biggest news of the day, shooting guard Grant Gelon is transferring from IU.

It will be interesting to see how Swanigan does in the NBA. He isn't that athletic, but he has good motor and really knows how to play.

Reactions: nagemj02
Michigan's D.J. Wilson announced he will stay in the NBA draft, while teammate Moritz Wagner removed his name on Wednesday.

Jalen Coleman-Lands transferring from Illinois. Rumored to be going to DePaul. That leaves Illinois with 5 returning scholarship players and 4 or 5 newcomers.

John Groce's first year was spent, according to many Illini fans, cleaning up the dead wood of the previous coaches recruiting errors. Though it did leave him with a bare cupboard, watching all those bums go was actually a great sign for things to come! Many of those bums had high rankings out of high school, but they must have been bums.

For the sake of the Denying Illini Fans, I hope they enjoy the same mindset and presume these recent departures are because their next someday ex-coach has a firm handle on things. It will make things more fun for them until they are not.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Interesting take -- Underwood is immediately in over his head and those dumb Illini fans won't realize it until he is soon fired. Could be.

Teddy Greenstein, hardly an Illini fan, interviewed some D1 coaches who have a different, possibly more objective, take:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...fers-greenstein-spt-0527-20170526-column.html

There may indeed be some denial going on. Time will tell who was guilty of it.

I never thought a Big Ten program with any pride would ever poach a ONE YEAR Big Twelve Basketball coach. But, it's the Illini so I still don't think any Big Ten program would do it. WILL things work out? Very unlikely. But I'm going to presume that they won't, like your last two hires.

I'd also point out that IF he does well...Underwood was really quick to dump four years of his five year contract at Oklahoma State. What makes you so sure he will stick around?

Yeah, time will tell won't it. I think that one way or the other...the Illini just hired their next someday ex-coach. Whoop it up SirIllini. Enjoy the rush while you can.

Oh, and remember this name, Mike Boynton. It will be interesting to measure the Illini with Oklahoma State over the next few years.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to measure the Illini with Iowa over the next few years. Your world beater lost his last 3 games in a row to a coach who got fired.

One of our last two hires won 37 games and coached in a National Championship game... you know... very similar to Alford and Lickliter and Mccaffrey ... lolz.

It will be interesting to measure the Illini with Iowa over the next few years. Your world beater lost his last 3 games in a row to a coach who got fired.

One of our last two hires won 37 games and coached in a National Championship game... you know... very similar to Alford and Lickliter and Mccaffrey ... lolz.

Ah, yes, you should have kept Groce and Webber. :rolleyes: You are reaching. I will say this though, Groce did get his guys up for playing Iowa last season. I guess yes, that alone should have saved his job.

What's "reaching"? "someday ex coach...". Lolz. You write like Iowa has had some blue blood level coach for the past 25 years who will obviously retire at a time and place of his choosing, and Alford and Lickliter never existed. It's nonsense. There are very few coaches in the nation like that and exactly one in the Big Ten. I don't see where you get off talking down at the Illinois program like Iowa is Michigan State.

Mccaffrey started coaching in the league a year earlier than Groce and has the same number of NCAA wins as Groce (and Groce was fired).

Here's what I know: every single time that Illinois has had a competent coach, they have won league championships and had deep tourney runs. Henson did it, Kruger did it, Self did it and even Weber did it. Comparably, based on conference and NCAA tourney performance, Groce was far and away the least qualified head basketball coach hired by Illinois in the last 50 years. It's not even close.

If you think Underwood is the same caliber as Groce, I don't think you really follow this game all that well. Illinois fans are not in denial when being optimistic about Underwood. The man can coach. It's undeniably an upgrade hire for Illinois.

I'll be sure to check back in periodically over the next few years to marvel at iowa's dynasty.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanL53
What's "reaching"? "someday ex coach...". Lolz. You write like Iowa has had some blue blood level coach for the past 25 years who will obviously retire at a time and place of his choosing, and Alford and Lickliter never existed. It's nonsense. There are very few coaches in the nation like that and exactly one in the Big Ten. I don't see where you get off talking down at the Illinois program like Iowa is Michigan State.

Mccaffrey started coaching in the league a year earlier than Groce and has the same number of NCAA wins as Groce (and Groce was fired).

Here's what I know: every single time that Illinois has had a competent coach, they have won league championships and had deep tourney runs. Henson did it, Kruger did it, Self did it and even Weber did it. Comparably, based on conference and NCAA tourney performance, Groce was far and away the least qualified head basketball coach hired by Illinois in the last 50 years. It's not even close.

If you think Underwood is the same caliber as Groce, I don't think you really follow this game all that well. Illinois fans are not in denial when being optimistic about Underwood. The man can coach. It's undeniably an upgrade hire for Illinois.

I'll be sure to check back in periodically over the next few years to marvel at iowa's dynasty.
This is exactly what I was talking about. Another coach, and another undeniable upgrade. :) What happened to your love for Groce?

I like though how you switched to comparing Iowa to Michigan State. Yeah, I know Izzo just loves you Illini. :D I don't know why I should be threated by your determination to check back in over the next few years. First off, Iowa has some good young talent here AND on the way. Second, when things go south, SirIllini doesn't come back.

"I know Izzo just loves you Illini?"

What? What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Your talent is average compared to the rest of the league. Will be 40 years since you've even so much as shared a league title and you're smack talking other programs?

Hahaha. At least frans kid should be better than Lickliters. Hahahaha

"I know Izzo just loves you Illini?"

What? What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Your talent is average compared to the rest of the league. Will be 40 years since you've even so much as shared a league title and you're smack talking other programs?

Hahaha. At least frans kid should be better than Lickliters. Hahahaha

Hey, you brought up Michigan State.

Look, if I were a betting guy I'd say it's 50/50 whether Mike Boynton or Brad Underwood was the real reason behind the success at the last two stops. And I MIGHT give the edge to Boynton based on how quick Oklahoma State moved to keep him there.

I'd be less than excited if I were an Illini fan. I'd be out and out concerned.

I'm not sure Underwood should have been fired since four of his starters were out injured all season when he got fired.

Gotta love Illini fans trying to slight the job McCaffery has done. Like they wouldn't trade the results under Fran for the garbage Groce provided them.

Underwood is a fairly good coach and Groce was fairly bad, but let's not pretend like Illinois has been some dominant force the last 50 years that almost anybody can win big at. 6 conference titles, 8 Sweet Sixteens, and 2 Final Fours spread over 7 head coaches since 1967. I mean even Henson only had 1 Sweet Sixteen appearance in his last 11 seasons as coach and had a single runner up finish in conference play during that stretch.

Underwood is good and Illinois will improve under him. The big worry for Illini fans has to be that if he has a big season will he instantly bolt for a bigger job if given the opportunity? You probably can't count on a guy that has never stayed in one place very long to stay in your place very long.

Last edited:
Reactions: chaneccooms
dont really care about 6 conference titles 8 sweet 16 2 final fours since 1967...this is almost as bad as Nebraska FB fans saying they won 5 National Titles. When was the last one? If I was an Illinoize fan I'd be more concerned about the last time. When was that? 2005?
And 3 NCAA wins since 2006 isnt anything to brag about...shoot we won twice since 2015...I'm not ready to brag about it.

I dont know if Underwood will be successful at Illinois...if an Illinoize fan wants to say he will be before he steps on the court so be it. Most of them thought the same thing about Groce when he got hired.

My take (just like Nebraska FB) maybe Illinois fans should come down to reality with the rest of us. Times have changed. Its not easy to win in the B1G...alot of good programs...didnt Northwestern just make the NCAA?...

Conference Titles Illinois 1980-present: Henson (1); Kruger (1); Self (2); Weber (2)

Conference Titles Iowa 1980-present: Davis (0); Alford (0); Lickliter (0); McCaffrey (0)

Iowa experts: "Doesn't say anything about a program that 4 coaches in a row were all able to win at least one conference title." Can anyone here tell me how many other big ten programs have a streak like that? Talk about denial....

What great job has Fran done? Really... What am I missing? In seven years he has two NCAA Tourney wins. You guys lionize him. Groce got fired for those same results with one less year on the job than Fran.

Underwood has produced at every single place he's been without exception and a resident expert here opines "how likely is it to work out? Not very likely." Hahahahaha

Denial...

Keep talking smack about better programs. Nebraska football fans rightly consider you guys delusional as well.

Conference Titles Illinois 1980-present: Henson (1); Kruger (1); Self (2); Weber (2)

Conference Titles Iowa 1980-present: Davis (0); Alford (0); Lickliter (0); McCaffrey (0)

Iowa experts: "Doesn't say anything about a program that 4 coaches in a row were all able to win at least one conference title." Can anyone here tell me how many other big ten programs have a streak like that? Talk about denial....

What great job has Fran done? Really... What am I missing? In seven years he has two NCAA Tourney wins. You guys lionize him. Groce got fired for those same results with one less year on the job than Fran.

Underwood has produced at every single place he's been without exception and a resident expert here opines "how likely is it to work out? Not very likely." Hahahahaha

Denial...

Keep talking smack about better programs. Nebraska football fans rightly consider you guys delusional as well.
****************************************************************************************************************************************
so you come to Hawkeye Report (like U have in the past) and spill your all-great Illinois BB history and ignore everything over the last 12 years...zero titles 2 NCAA wins...and WE ARE TALKING SMACK???

Groce did not have the same results as McCaffery...37-53 B1G win-loss....please stop spilling the BS and stay with facts.

Remembering the past great teams is terrific but living it is another...that is what you are doing.....2 0 0 5 ... I'd be concerned. Just like Nebbie .... living in the past. Just like the Nebbie woman yesterday holding up a sign begging Northwestern to beat us. Begging.

One final thing...you BETTER hope Underwood works outs..OR...the years since 2005 of mediocre results in the B1G just might go on a little longer.....OR ALOT longer.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

You don't have a streak like that. You used to. And I'm no Iowa fan.

Reactions: CJ Beat Hard
"One final thing...you BETTER hope Underwood works outs..OR...the years since 2005 of mediocre results in the B1G just might go on a little longer.....OR ALOT longer.[/QUOTE]

How would you characterize Iowa's results under McCaffrey? I would love to hear how you will spin them as somehow better than mediocre.

"One final thing...you BETTER hope Underwood works outs..OR...the years since 2005 of mediocre results in the B1G just might go on a little longer.....OR ALOT longer.

How would you characterize Iowa's results under McCaffrey? I would love to hear how you will spin them as somehow better than mediocre.[/QUOTE]

I have not spin a thing about Iowa BB & McCaffery...U have about your boy Groce. Please tell me the win loss in the B1G between the two. OR...just continue to ignore the records.

I dont know what the future lies with Fran...I do like our recent recruiting classes.
Groce??? oh well lets see......ya he got fired didnt he?

Here is possibly the first "ooops" in Underwood's Illini career:

https://www.landof10.com/illinois/stephen-gentry-chin-coleman-hired-brad-underwood-coaches-staff

And I don't know if this is a competing site, so I apologize if it is. But let me just quote a little bit of the article:

New assistant...."Coleman gives Underwood more local recruiting experience, having not only coached at Illinois-Chicago but also coaching top-level AAU team Mac Irvin Fire in Chicago. His presence could be key in getting the most out of the local area.

Previous coach John Groce was getting there, however, signing 4-star power forward Jeremiah Tilmon in the Class of 2017. Coleman’s first big assignment likely will be to help try to convince Tilmon to recommit..."

Well, that didn't work out.

And while it may turn out that Coleman indeed enjoys a short term "in" with MacIrvin, it will be about his former connections with players who have already been contacted for years by other programs. And I doubt MacIrvin is suddenly going to put the Illini on a pedestal concerning all the other schools they've seen their kids commit to. This is indeed a short term boost, at best. And the Illini better hope Coleman enjoys a great relationship with other AAU programs, I wonder, does he?

And, I know the article that SirIllini linked had a Chicago Tribune writer claiming he talked with D1 coaches, but that he wouldn't quote any...but that article sure didn't sound like what any D1 coach with half a brain would say about another school's recruits either on the record or off. Especially the part about Coleman.

Can someone just move the next Iowa - Illinois pissing match to a new thread. I'm going to update tomorrow with departing seniors, and don't appreciate being hijacked in a thread that was so diligently updated for weeks.

Pardon me for interupting. It won't happen again, and I hope you enjoyed the info on incoming assistants at Illinois. Ignore time. Your threads are all yours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT