ADVERTISEMENT

OT- campaign season

Aardvark86

HR Heisman
Jan 23, 2018
Apologies for being off topic, and let me emphasize that I do NOT want this to devolve down a political rathole, but I am curious as a non-Iowan: what is it actually like in Iowa when presidential campaign primary season kicks off? Tx.

Apologies for being off topic, and let me emphasize that I do NOT want this to devolve down a political rathole, but I am curious as a non-Iowan: what is it actually like in Iowa when presidential campaign primary season kicks off? Tx.
All I can say is that I don’t miss my tv subscription during campaign season.

Thx fellas. It is “bad enough” here in dc once things get going but I can’t imagine what it must be like on the ground when you have a crowded field. There’s gotta be a comedy movie in there somewhere. Maybe something with zombies.

Thx fellas. It is “bad enough” here in dc once things get going but I can’t imagine what it must be like on the ground when you have a crowded field. There’s gotta be a comedy movie in there somewhere. Maybe something with zombies.

This is my first presidential campaign here and don’t really follow locally but it’s funny seeing a few wear a Hawk hat and drinking Busch Light to try and pander to us rubes. A reporter for Politico and Rutgers grad tweeted this:

She and Foley (I feel safer in Iran than Iowa) should meet for a soy grande latte to commiserate. Maybe her next foray out into the field can be someplace decent...like maybe Juarez to cover cartel wars or something. They have Almond Milk cows down there in old Mexico.

Last edited:
This is my first presidential campaign here and don’t really follow locally but it’s funny seeing a few wear a Hawk hat and drinking Busch Light to try and pander to us rubes. A reporter for Politico and Rutgers grad tweeted this:

She and Foley (I feel safer in Iran than Iowa) should meet for a soy grande latte to commiserate. Maybe her next foray out into the field can be someplace decent...like maybe Juarez to cover cartel wars or something. They have Almond Milk cows down there in old Mexico.

You have a great Gov. She gets the new building, and I'm sure the Board of Regents will approve in Sept. That alone is a great Gov in my book...........but she actually is great too.

"Unbuilt land"? What a dunce. Iowa has the least natural land, most commerical land out of any state.

Every grocery story has almond milk.

It's basically two straight years of non-stop coverage. Every. Day. Newspapers, TV, radio. National news orgs "embed" people in Iowa the whole time, some just in general, some to follow specific candidates. With two dozen candidates this time around (like the 17 R's there were in 2016), it's worse than ever. You can literally just be going in somewhere for a coffee and bump into a candidate. It gets to the point where I almost hate living in this state.

We're already 7 months in (it started back in January) to this process. We still have 6 months until the caucus (Feb. 3), and then 9 MORE months until the actual election.

The state loves to rake in the tourism dollars from the campaigns and national pundits, which is why the parties fight so hard for Iowa to remain the first caucus. That, and the "Look at us! We crave relevancy and attention!" mentality.

You have a great Gov. She gets the new building, and I'm sure the Board of Regents will approve in Sept. That alone is a great Gov in my book...........but she actually is great too.

Yeah, when she isn’t firing people when they won’t break the law, helping to cover up scandals, stripping the collective bargaining rights of workers, or giving even more taxpayer money away to health insurance companies that are failing disabled Iowans, she’s real great.

Visiting the state fair and pretending to enjoy eating corndogs is a must for anyone running for prez.

Terminating people in jail cells as a topic has been fun to watch from CA point of View. What do the Iowa local reporters state?

These people spend an hour on 80 or 35 and that’s all they need to judge Iowa. “Yep flat and all there is is corn” if you judged any state based off of driving on its biggest highways everywhere would suck.

I can't imagine ever living in or moving to a state that gets that much political attention. Here in Illinois, we are barely hit with anything. Chicago is so corrupt (I mean blue) the the dems win all the time and no one really feels it is necessary to campaign much. I can't imagine what it is like in Ohio or a toss up state during a pres. election.

Almond milk cows...I knew that you guys had the chocolate ones, but didn’t realize the habitat was different for almond.

Almond milk? Disgusting & made for soft people (I know both liberals and conservatives who drink it...all of whom are soft)
I can’t imagine how you must feel about coconut water ... I’ll stick with chocolate milk as my recovery beverage of choice!

Reactions: HawkTalk84
These people spend an hour on 80 or 35 and that’s all they need to judge Iowa. “Yep flat and all there is is corn” if you judged any state based off of driving on its biggest highways everywhere would suck.
You obviously have driven through the “Robert Byrd technology corridor” on i-79 in West Virginia.

I can't imagine ever living in or moving to a state that gets that much political attention. Here in Illinois, we are barely hit with anything. Chicago is so corrupt (I mean blue) the the dems win all the time and no one really feels it is necessary to campaign much. I can't imagine what it is like in Ohio or a toss up state during a pres. election.
It might actually end up less corrupt?

Not a fan but won’t disparage those who drink it. I know some tough people who drink it
Yep, like the NY Yankees, the Chicago Black Hawks, and the Washington Capitals, to name a few. For my money, Coco5 is the only one that is tolerable. But there's plenty of good research on chocolate milk, and...it's chocolate milk for God's sake!

Reactions: Inthecircle

Try I-93 through the White Mountains of NH. Definitely doesn't suck.

Reactions: Inthecircle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT