ADVERTISEMENT

OT: OG Anunoby

Yeah, he is going to be a good one and would have been a great get. Uhl should be locked in a room and be made to watch Anunoby videos.

Cook definitely has the power but OG seems to be able to jump out the gym when he goes up. Does Cook have that kind of leaping ability?

He's really good. Wish Indiana hadn't come in and swiped him up. Hard to believe he was pretty lightly recruited until late in the summer before his senior season.

Yeah, finishing 2nd doesn't do much in recruiting. I'm high on Wagner, but he was a consolation prize.

I see all kinds of PG/2G types on other teams/mid majors that would definitely start at Iowa...Fran's problem is he doesn't appear to have ability to pick the right guards and close on guards. Ogelsby, Ellingson, Fleming...all athletically challenged 2Gs. Dickerson, Gesell, Clemmons...meh at PG.

Yeah, finishing 2nd doesn't do much in recruiting. I'm high on Wagner, but he was a consolation prize.

I see all kinds of PG/2G types on other teams/mid majors that would definitely start at Iowa...Fran's problem is he doesn't appear to have ability to pick the right guards and close on guards. Ogelsby, Ellingson, Fleming...all athletically challenged 2Gs. Dickerson, Gesell, Clemmons...meh at PG.
Yeah guys like Zeisloft and Matt Thomas who are only out there to play defense and shoot the 3 are such amazing athletic talents.

Fran wanted a couple guys like that but they just never developed (or haven't yet/won't).

OG has a 7'2" wingspan, Cook's is about 6'11 1/2"

We may not win as many games or we may win more... but next year sure looks to be entertaining in that we'll be bringing in a lot of new young talent that has some flair to their games.

I'm hoping the likes of Cook, Moss, Hutton, Williams, etc... bring some excitement to the game and bring some excitement to the crowds at CHA.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyler-cook

Last edited:
Reactions: td77
I give Fran credit, he knows how to pick talent. Moss is a high flyer who could excite next year. Williams has a great first step, will really change the point position next year. Cook looks to be special inside. Hutton is also very athletic with large wing span. I think Bohannon will surprise some folks. Really like Krieger's upside. Next year will be interesting.

Reactions: DenverTurtle
I give Fran credit, he knows how to pick talent. Moss is a high flyer who could excite next year. Williams has a great first step, will really change the point position next year. Cook looks to be special inside. Hutton is also very athletic with large wing span. I think Bohannon will surprise some folks. Really like Krieger's upside. Next year will be interesting.

I'm excited for future. Athletes are coming and will be exciting to see them gel. I can't believe we landed Cook. We will have some athletic big men. Now let's get a stud pg.

He's really good. Wish Indiana hadn't come in and swiped him up. Hard to believe he was pretty lightly recruited until late in the summer before his senior season.

Fran was on him long before Crean and we were on his short list. Crean came very late and had to 'Crean' a player after he accepted the offer because they had no roster space for OG and one other guy that accepted.

OG is a stud. Kind of wonder if he turns pro right away based on upside potential.

HawkLogic makes a good point above. Indiana got OG and we got Wagner-- that tells the story. I like Wagner and think he will be a nice player, but Fran needs to land some better athletes if he wants to win in March. As others have pointed out, he may already have them in Moss, Hutton, and Cook, but IMO, we cannot go through another season with 3 of 5 starters non-factors on offense and our big not being able to play above the rim.

We will never have IU talent, but should be able to field a Wichita State type team. I know Iowa beat them badly earlier in the year, but they did not have Vanfleet, so not the same team. WSU does not get McDonald's All Americans, but Marshall always has a stud PG with a solid 2 and some tough-nosed PF types that work the glass on both ends. He brings in the freshman McDuffie and transfer Frankamp and both contribute with some other bench guys sprinkled in. Both starting and bench guards are capable of penetrating / dishing and scoring, which is a dynamic we lack.

HawkLogic makes a good point above. Indiana got OG and we got Wagner-- that tells the story. I like Wagner and think he will be a nice player, but Fran needs to land some better athletes if he wants to win in March. As others have pointed out, he may already have them in Moss, Hutton, and Cook, but IMO, we cannot go through another season with 3 of 5 starters non-factors on offense and our big not being able to play above the rim.

We will never have IU talent, but should be able to field a Wichita State type team. I know Iowa beat them badly earlier in the year, but they did not have Vanfleet, so not the same team. WSU does not get McDonald's All Americans, but Marshall always has a stud PG with a solid 2 and some tough-nosed PF types that work the glass on both ends. He brings in the freshman McDuffie and transfer Frankamp and both contribute with some other bench guys sprinkled in. Both starting and bench guards are capable of penetrating / dishing and scoring, which is a dynamic we lack.

I agree with your first assertion but not your second on our win over WSU. It was by 25 points so with VanVleet it's 10-15 but still a decisive win.

I still don't get how people can fault Fran for going after a 4 star pg who played aau ball with our 4 star center and was from our neighboring state. Maybe he didn't turn out like many had hoped but that's hindsight. I think everyone was pretty excited when we landed 2 4 stars in a program that was dead.

I agree with your first assertion but not your second on our win over WSU. It was by 25 points so with VanVleet it's 10-15 but still a decisive win.

They had two starters and their backup guard out that game not to mention they just lost another starter for the season a few games earlier so basically they had 3 starters out and and a top backup for the Iowa game.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
I still don't get how people can fault Fran for going after a 4 star pg who played aau ball with our 4 star center and was from our neighboring state. Maybe he didn't turn out like many had hoped but that's hindsight. I think everyone was pretty excited when we landed 2 4 stars in a program that was dead.

I am not faulting Fran for going after MG at all. MG has been a good PG for us and helped us out of the dark days. I think after year 2, it was apparent what MG and AC were / were not capable of. Fran needed to address lack of a driver / finisher or scorer through recruiting, juco, or transfer and didn't. The result is that we are starting two guards who are extremely limited offensively, which puts more pressure on Jok and Uthoff.

My bar is not Ulis or Yogi, but Baker or even Frankamp at WSU, Schowalter at WI, Washpun at UNI, etc., type players. Having 0 depth at the guard spot is hard for me to understand at this point in Fran's tenure. Oglesby was a body, but not a contributor, much like Ellingson and Fleming. I recognize they are young players who need to develop, but we need play makers not 'just don't make mistakes' guys.

Fran was on him long before Crean and we were on his short list. Crean came very late and had to 'Crean' a player after he accepted the offer because they had no roster space for OG and one other guy that accepted.

OG is a stud. Kind of wonder if he turns pro right away based on upside potential.
This is very untrue... but sounds cool.

I am not faulting Fran for going after MG at all. MG has been a good PG for us and helped us out of the dark days. I think after year 2, it was apparent what MG and AC were / were not capable of. Fran needed to address lack of a driver / finisher or scorer through recruiting, juco, or transfer and didn't. The result is that we are starting two guards who are extremely limited offensively, which puts more pressure on Jok and Uthoff.

My bar is not Ulis or Yogi, but Baker or even Frankamp at WSU, Schowalter at WI, Washpun at UNI, etc., type players. Having 0 depth at the guard spot is hard for me to understand at this point in Fran's tenure. Oglesby was a body, but not a contributor, much like Ellingson and Fleming. I recognize they are young players who need to develop, but we need play makers not 'just don't make mistakes' guys.

Those are fair points and I guess I wasn't talking about you directly. Sorry if it came off that way.

I agree with you about the Oglesby/Ellingson/Flemming points. I do think that we have seen enough of Ellingson to maybe see what his ceiling is but I would love to be wrong. Flemming may have a little bit more of an upside. He has at least been willing to drive to the hoop in his very few minutes. It will be interesting to see what Flemming can do with more dynamic guards on the floor who can drive. He might have a pretty solid role on this team in the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT