ADVERTISEMENT

Next year's (23-24) Big 10.....your thoughts.

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
Not talking about Iowa here...trying to be objective.

Here are the teams/programs that I think are on the upswing:

1) Ohio State.....I hate to say it, but that team is loaded with talent (if they don't lose a bunch) with a decent recruiting class coming in...and they have a good coach. I think that by next season they will have it figured out and right the ship. They will be very tough.

2) Maryland....I think they hired a really good coach and I think that program is going to be very strong for a long time to come barring some unforeseen problem(s).

3) Indiana....is a maybe in this category. They appear to be recruiting well, but still not convinced. We will see but they certainly could be heading up.

4) PSU....they may take a dip next year as I think they lose some key pieces....but that might be the really really good young coach that takes that program to new heights.

5) MSU.....maybe? Obviously you have Izzo and they have had pretty good recruiting classes....but the last few years have not been as good as his years prior to that period.

Maybe headed down, or at least maybe they have peaked under that coach:

1) Michigan........John B was a great coach and had proven success. Howard had initial success with the after affects of the John B era....Howard still has a bunch of talent, but the results don't look as good.

2) Wisconsin....same same with slightly less success?

3) NW....I think loses a lot. Collins is probably there for as long as he wants to be after this years success? But the loss of those talented senior guards probably drags them down a notch?

4) Nebraska......

5) Illinois is hard to judge...maybe should be up a notch. Clearly has a talented roster....and can coach decent defense...but appears to have under achieved this year based on that talent.

Don't know where to put:

Purdue.....they have talent, and they have some youth, but who do they lose? Is Eddy gone? If he's back they're probably back at the top of the league?

Minnesota......can't get worse can it?

Rutgers....like that coach, they have athletic talent, they play defense......not sure what they have coming back or coming in...

So...just thoughts. Certainly not saying these are correct assertions...in fact, I'm hoping to hear from others what they think specific teams will be like next year.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
Iowa, specifically, could be bottom 3 in the conference next year and that's a very real concern.

So I say f*** what other teams have because if Iowa sucks, then I surely don't need to worry/give af about what the other teams that are going to be kicking our asses bring back..............respectfully just sayin.

Here is my spreadsheet. I don't remove anyone until they officially announce for the draft/portal--so guys like Kris, Jett, Hood-Schifino, Sensabaugh, etc who are first round picks and almost locks to go pro are still listed.
I keep this up to date.

Also, it's color coded: purple=covid year, green=4th year SR, etc.

Our role players were able to shoot the ball this year because defenses had to focus on Kris and Rebraca - if we don't find a couple players in the portal who require similar attention our existing role players will have to turn into creators... If we're depending on Sandfort and Dix to create shots, it's going to be a long year.

Bringing in the 4 freshman has me excited but we all know how that pans out. Nimmers could be a very nice surprise as well. Hopefully, a big man to replace Filip will be very important. One that can come in and produce right away. I'm sure Fran has been thinking about this daily so it will be interesting to see what he has up his sleeve.

Reactions: perryhawk
Minnesota looks like a long train wreck already losing players via the portal and de-commitment. Prediction. Johnson canned mid-season.

Nebraska loses Walker and Geisel - two key pieces - along with Wilcher, all graduating. If Tomenga leaves (as expected), they will be losing 80% of their scoring. Let the Sam Hoiberg era begin. Fred gets the buyout nd the misery continues.

Here is my spreadsheet. I don't remove anyone until they officially announce for the draft/portal--so guys like Kris, Jett, Hood-Schifino, Sensabaugh, etc who are first round picks and almost locks to go pro are still listed.
I keep this up to date.

That is outstanding. Thank you for sharing this!

1) Ohio State.....I hate to say it, but that team is loaded with talent (if they don't lose a bunch) with a decent recruiting class coming in...and they have a good coach. I think that by next season they will have it figured out and right the ship. They will be very tough.

2) Maryland....I think they hired a really good coach and I think that program is going to be very strong for a long time to come barring some unforeseen problem(s).

3) Indiana....is a maybe in this category. They appear to be recruiting well, but still not convinced. We will see but they certainly could be heading up.

4) PSU....they may take a dip next year as I think they lose some key pieces....but that might be the really really good young coach that takes that program to new heights.

5) MSU.....maybe? Obviously you have Izzo and they have had pretty good recruiting classes....but the last few years have not been as good as his years prior to that period.

1) Michigan........John B was a great coach and had proven success. Howard had initial success with the after affects of the John B era....Howard still has a bunch of talent, but the results don't look as good.

3) NW....I think loses a lot. Collins is probably there for as long as he wants to be after this years success? But the loss of those talented senior guards probably drags them down a notch?

4) Nebraska......

5) Illinois is hard to judge...maybe should be up a notch. Clearly has a talented roster....and can coach decent defense...but appears to have under achieved this year based on that talent.

Don't know where to put:

Purdue.....they have talent, and they have some youth, but who do they lose? Is Eddy gone? If he's back they're probably back at the top of the league?

Rutgers....like that coach, they have athletic talent, they play defense......not sure what they have coming back or coming in...

So...just thoughts. Certainly not saying these are correct assertions...in fact, I'm hoping to hear from others what they think specific teams will be like next year.
It’s really hard to say who is on the upswing or downswing with the portal. Illinois, e.g., lost 70% of their scoring and still made the tournament.

OSU, Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois are the 5 B1G programs that have consistently landed significantly more 4 and 5 star recruits than the rest of the league over the past 5 years. So it’s hard to ever count those programs out. And you can probably add Maryland to that group going forward.

Then there’s Iowa, Wisconsin, and PU which usually manage to be in the hunt or at least respectable regardless of recruiting class rankings.

I feel pretty good saying that Northwestern will suck again But we’ll see what Collins can pull out of the portal.

The rest….? I really don’t care.

Last edited:
Normally we could speculate quite a bit more. Who’s coming back, who’s leaving, incoming freshman etc. But now with the portal, it’s almost impossible to hazard a guess. I’ll have to wait until the dust settles before making any sort prediction.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Iowa is going to look completely different next season and so could many other teams.

Our role players were able to shoot the ball this year because defenses had to focus on Kris and Rebraca - if we don't find a couple players in the portal who require similar attention our existing role players will have to turn into creators... If we're depending on Sandfort and Dix to create shots, it's going to be a long year.
That's really not true.

Frans offense always relies on getting quick looks in transition more than anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: amahawk
I see Indiana crashing like the ufo at roswell. I think their coach sucks and with tjd leaving they are headed to the bottom on the big unless they get some portal players.

Also eff Wisconsin.

Michigan has talent but Howard has repeatedly shown he can't coach worth a crap. Rumors already swirling about players leaving again. Maybe Iowa can grab one(Hunter please).

Nebraska is losing a ton and hasn't had much success. They were on the verge of being decent this year but injuries took away any chsnce they had. I still think Hoiberg is a very good coach. Maybe he can do the transfer thing and pick up kids thrown off their teams and work some magic.

Iowa goes to the portal and brings in a great and varied recruiting class with kids ready to play. We lose our 2 best, most important players, and Connor who was an important piece of the team. Fran needs to hit the portal and bring in more than a walk on Evan Braun who i think will be a solid player. We'll be vying for a top spot in the big again. Just because everytime i count gim out we are in the running.
I forgot Illinois could be solid. I like underwood and he seems to be able to get portal players of high quality.

Ohio State will be tough withthe incoming talent and young guys getting a lot of experience this year.

Michigan State will be the team to beat. They'll have the talent and the refs bow to Izzo's charming screaming at them.

Reactions: CookyMonster
Minnesota looks like a long train wreck already losing players via the portal and de-commitment. Prediction. Johnson canned mid-season.

Nebraska loses Walker and Geisel - two key pieces - along with Wilcher, all graduating. If Tomenga leaves (as expected), they will be losing 80% of their scoring. Let the Sam Hoiberg era begin. Fred gets the buyout nd the misery continues.
Fred will bring in more transfers but they won't be top level guys.

My early stab at picks
MSU- if walker and hall come back..loaded

PU- they might lose no significant players

OSU- might lose only sensabaugh
And very good class coming

Illinois- might lose no one.

Mich- if Dickinson returns
MD.-if Scott and young return
Wis
NW- if boo returns

IU
RU
Iowa
PSU
Minn
Neb.

Last edited:
My early stab at picks
MSU- if walker and has come back..loaded

PU- they might lose no significant players

OSU- might lose only sensabaugh
And very good class coming

Illinois- might lose no one.

Mich- if Dickinson returns
MD.-if Scott and young return
Wis
NW- if boo returns

IU
PSU
RU
Iowa
Minn
Neb.
This looks about right. Ugh. I'm afraid that 21-22 team losing to Richmond is going to linger for awhile as a missed opportunity. Hopefully the Hawks roster looks better after free agency season.

I keep this up to date.

FWIW, guys on the spreadsheet that I'm hearing likely will be going to the draft/exploring pro options:
Kris Murray- Iowa
Terrance Shannon, Coleman Hawkins-ILL
TJD, Hood-Schifino--IND
Hakim Hart, Dante Scott--MD
Kobe Bufkins, Jett Howard--MI
Tyson Walker--MSU
Tominaga-NE
Sensabaugh-OSU
Lundy--PSU
Edey (test the waters at least)--Purdue
Cliff O (test)--Rutgers

I think Penn State could be the top next year. Frankly at the end of the year they were fun to watch but actually play defense. Lots of quickness and talent there
4 of their 5 starters this year were covid seniors and are done. Lundy is the only one who still has a year of eligibility and many think that he's likely to be a late 2nd round draft pick/ 2-way deal similar to AJ Green last year.

4 of their 5 starters this year were covid seniors and are done. Lundy is the only one who still has a year of eligibility and many think that he's likely to be a late 2nd round draft pick/ 2-way deal similar to AJ Green last year.
Ahh then I totally misread about them. I thought everyone was able to come back. I knew Lundy was likely gone but thanks for the correction on the rest.

4) Nebraska......

Don't know where to put:

Whatever happens or is predicted to happen it seems as though Michigan State is the last team standing in the Big.

I keep this up to date.

wow. Nice job! Appreciate the information.

I keep this up to date.

hey arnold nicksplat GIF

I think Penn State could be the top next year. Frankly at the end of the year they were fun to watch but actually play defense. Lots of quickness and talent there
Funk, Pickett & Dredd (off the bench) all 5th year seniors this season. Lundy also a Sr but could come back but if he doesn't they lose 4 of top 5 scorers.

4) Nebraska......

Don't know where to put:

Some teams like NW could benefit if guys use their 5th year like Buie and Audige. Same with draft or early entries. Michigan could be hurting if both Jett Howard and Dickinson leave early. But I think IU will drop the most. Lose TDJ, Thompson and Kopp. Good chance Hood-Schifino goes pro. Even if bring in some good freshman team was so reliant on TDJ last 2 years and no other bigs or bench players were that impressive this season. I think Woodson is not a good coach either and was a bad hire.

But interesting to revisit the teams in a month or 2 after all the portal movements.

That's really not true.

Frans offense always relies on getting quick looks in transition more than anything else.
I see both being true honestly, Fran has always had a 15ppg+ creator as part of the transition offense you mention:

2022 - Kris
2021- Keegan
19/20 - Wieskamp and Garza
17/18 - Cook
16 - Jok
15 - Uthoff
14 - White

Who is going to take this role in 2023? I don't see one capable on the existing roster at this time.

Last edited:
I see both being true honestly, Fran has always has a 15ppg+ creator as part of the transition offense you mention:

2022 - Kris
2021- Keegan
17/18 - Cook
16 - Jok
15 - Uthoff
14 - White

Who is going to take this role in 2023? I don't see one capable on the existing roster at this time.
Sandfort or Perkins?

Reactions: RocknRollface
Seems as though every year we lose our star and every year I wonder how we will be able to compete next season. But every year McCaffery patches together a team that is at least competitive in the conference and we continue to be an offensive juggernaut. And someone steps forward to be enough of a force to make the B1G First Team. Hopefully, one of these seasons he finds kids that actually have the ability and desire to also play defense.

Seems as though every year we lose our star and every year I wonder how we will be able to compete next season. But every year McCaffery patches together a team that is at least competitive in the conference and we continue to be an offensive juggernaut. And someone steps forward to be enough of a force to make the B1G First Team. Hopefully, one of these seasons he finds kids that actually have the ability and desire to also play defense.

Fran is an offensive wizard. I don't think that's debatable at this point.

I see both being true honestly, Fran has always had a 15ppg+ creator as part of the transition offense you mention:

2022 - Kris
2021- Keegan
17/18 - Cook
16 - Jok
15 - Uthoff
14 - White

Sandfort and Perkins could both average that next year with the volume they will get.

Talking about where the offense will come from with a Fran team has consistently proven to be a waste of time. Fran teams are going to be twoards the top of the league in scoring and at the very bottom of the league in defense.

Scoring a lot of points won't necessarily translate to wins though.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I think it would be very optimistic to say Sandfort or Perkins will be the same caliber of those players listed but we'll see.
They don't have to be just to put points up.

Infact they are clearly not going to be as good as some of those guys but they can still put those points up with enough volume.

Normally we could speculate quite a bit more. Who’s coming back, who’s leaving, incoming freshman etc. But now with the portal, it’s almost impossible to hazard a guess. I’ll have to wait until the dust settles before making any sort prediction.
This. Ask me in June, maybe by then rosters will be settled.

Iowa is going to be young and probably not very good. It will take a miracle to make the tournament and they are almost certainly a first weekend exit if they get that far. The rest of the Big 10? Who cares, they all suck. At least I have a rooting interest in Iowa.

Of course, the portal can certainly change my assessment but Fran hasn't exactly shown much in the past to expect anything from the portal and I haven't seen or heard of anything that this will change this year other.

2022 - Kris
2021- Keegan
17/18 - Cook
16 - Jok
15 - Uthoff
14 - White

Sandfort is a natural scorer.

After watching Nowell play for K State it should give us hope for Brock Harding as they are similar in size. I’m also not sure of his style though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT