ADVERTISEMENT

OT who is the best Iowa football player in our history

From what I have seen Bob Sanders. To answer RLMHAWK's question. Look at our defense pre-Bob Sanders. Then look at it after him. Nobody questions as to who turned around the attitude of our defense. Just ask Kirk Ferentz if you have doubts. Our defense (mostly) has still played with the type of attitude he brought; play up to the standard he set.
Talking all-time you can certainly make argue for Nile Kinnick. He is the historic face of the program. He is the only Heisman trophy winner and has the stadium named after him. So, these two guys are at the top of my list.
He certainly have had lots of other great players. Beathard, Banks, Clark, King, Claiborne, Gallery, Greene, Kaeding, ETC. None have had quite the impact of those two guys though.
If you want to talk pure talent, and in terms of lasting talent I would probably agree with the guy above and go with Yanda. He and Reiff are my favorite OL. Will always remember fondly Yanda for that hit he put on that ISU LB.

If you look at college and NFL, then you're talking Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, Ed Podalak, Alex Karras.

Best at Iowa? Check Long, Bob Sanders would be the top 2 IMO

I never saw Alex Karras play, but what I’ve heard about his ability to dominate is unparalleled in Hawkeye history.

If Tavian Banks were more rugged, it could have been him. But that’s a big “if.”

Last edited:
Chuck Long, followed by Nile Kinnick.

It's a tough question to answer, given the changes to the game over time.

Another way to address this question would be to ask for the greatest player by decade. For the years I've been watching Iowa Football, here's how I have it:

- 1980's: Chuck Long
- 1990's: Sedric Shaw (close 2nd to Tim Dwight)
- 2000's: Bob Sanders
- 2010's: Not sure, lol.

I am biased as we were law partners until he passed away but I go with Randy Duncan. Heisman runner-up, last QB to get us Rose Bowl win, and number 1 NFL draft pick. He also played safety in college. Plus, Dunc was just a super guy and most humble guy you could ever meet.

pakibomb.jpg

I think you have to throw Ronnie Harmon into the mix. He had over 4000 combined rushing and receiving yards as a Hawkeye. As a receiver he averaged over 20 yards a catch as a sophomore then he turned into a 1000 yard rusher as a back. He made some absolutely amazing plays. About all he couldn’t do was play quarterback - I think his only pass attempt was an interception - but Iowa had Chuck handling QB duties.

In the pros he had over 10,000 all purpose yards in 10+ years and he made a pro bowl.

The other one in the conversation is Chuck Long - we all know what he did.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Andre Tippett - This former great Hawkeye wreaked havoc on Iowa opponents.

Only three Hawkeyes have been enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
The Iowa defensive end from 1979-81 was one of Hayden Fry’s first consensus All-Americans. The former team captain punished opposing offenses, helping lead the Hawkeyes to the 1982 Rose Bowl.

The defensive end earned first team All-Big Ten honors in 1980 and 1981, and led Iowa in tackles for loss in both of those seasons. His tackle for loss yardage (153 yards) during the 1980 campaign is still an Iowa single-season record.

In the professional ranks, he quickly became the most feared linebacker in the AFC. He recorded 30 multiple-sack games and led the Patriots in the stat category six of his 11 years with the team.

I remember hearing about his workout's at Iowa and his mastery of the being a Black Belt. "What started as a childhood activity to learn self-defense has evolved into a way of life for the former Hawkeye. After 40 years of training, Tippett has attained the rank of sixth-degree black belt."

For those of us that starter following Hawkeye Football when Hayden arrived he might have been the one that turned the defense around.

Duke Slater was so good that he played in the NFL for a decade in the 20’s and early 30’s. Even though he was a black man and the NFL was trying to go white only at the time. He was the only black man in the entire league two different seasons and one of only about 5 for a couple more seasons.

He was a 5 time First Team All-Pro during that era too. The only reasons he isn’t in the NFL hall of fame are likely because of racism and the teams he played for not existing anymore or just being really bad. Milwaukee, Rock Island, and the Chicago Cardinals.

All time is tough....but we have only one Heisman Winner Folks; Nile Kinnick.

Honorable mention; Bob Sanders, Andre Tippett, Randy Duncan, Aubrey Devine, Duke Slater, Alex Karras, Cal Jones, Chuck Long, Robert Gallery, Reggie Roby (I personally witnessed his greatness), Emlen Tunnell, Ozzie Simmons, Larry Station.

Reactions: HawkCapt1912
I saw my first Iowa game in 1957.Was on campus beginning in 1968. In my lifetime there is a long list, but...

Offense: Chuck Long - Ronnie Harmon - Sed Shaw
Defense: Larry Station - Andre Tippett - Adrian Clayborn
Special Teams - Reggie Roby - Tim Dwight - Nate Kaeding

I watched Iowa since living there in the Chuck Long days, so I only go back that far, but I'll say Bob Sanders. Great college and pro career, do his pro career gives him the edge over other for me.

I never saw Alex Kara’s play, but what I’ve heard about his ability to dominate is unparalleled in Hawkeye history.

If Tavian Banks were more rugged, it could have been him. But that’s a big “if.”

Alex Karras won the Outland and was runner-up for the Heisman Trophy... as a lineman. To this day he's one of only 3 linemen ever to finish second in Heisman votes.

Kinnick. End of discussion. Runner up in no particular order;

Alex Karras
Calvin Jones
Bob Sanders
Ronnie Harmon
Andre Tippet
Duke Slater
Chuck Long
Larry Station

Best has to be Kinnick. Played QB and led the offense, played DB and led the defense, and had a boatload of interceptions in an era when teams hardly ever passed. Oh, and he punted and place kicked as well. Won all the FB awards, was a top student, and an overall good guy.

I don't see how anyone else compares.

I would place Long next, since he was so good for so long, and arguably should have won the Heisman. Would have, too, if not for that one game in Columbus.

Then Duncan/Karras/Tippett/Sanders/Dwight/Station/Des King. The guys who were game- and team-changers.

Then Slater/Jones/DeVries and our other multiple All-Americans.

But Kinnick is kind of in a class by himself, and not just in Iowa history but college FB history. It's hard to find another college FB player with all of his attributes. The Heisman speech, leaving Iowa law school to go to war, dying on a training mission, etc. They'll never be another like him, on or off the field.

My choice is Sanders, but a shout out to Chad Greenway. I feel he should be in the discussion along with Clayborn. Those are probably the three best defensive players under Kirk.

I believe we have 1 Heisman winner ...correct?

If we’re breaking it down between “modern era” and pre-1960, then put me down for [gak]]-Ronnie Harmon—[gak] for the modern era.

...not including Rose Bowl performance!

Last edited:
I think Tim Dwight. Should have never been moved to wide receiver. Had more speed than Christian McCaffery.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT