ADVERTISEMENT

Our Friend Colin Cowherd Has Iowa...

Given his previous statements about the Hawkeyes, that seems high.

He makes a strong case for why Iowa is a top ten team. A fairly easy schedule, one of the top 3 senior QB's in the country and a defense returning many key players. He bagged on Iowa last year and it got worse as the year went on when the Iowa fans took offense to his rants. I don't think he gave Iowa the credit they deserved, although he looked pretty smart when Iowa took their lumps in the Rose Bowl. I am glad he picked us as high as he did. I think he will look smart in doing so.

Reactions: Herkmeister
His Iowa remarks run 2:22ish to 3:20ish.

A surprisingly level-headed take about Iowa.

My theory on guys like Cowherd is they rarely say what is truly in their thought process. Everything they say and do is based on trying to obtain ratings. I watched Jim Rome grow up on the Mighty 690 in San Diego and it was amazing how often he changed stances. It almost always seem to bring outrage to his audience. Hence a ratings buster.

I don't put a lot of stock into anything Cowherd says whether its good for Iowa or bad for Iowa. He went after Iowa fans ego's last year and it worked but his ratings suffered. To me this is just him changing philosophies to see if he can piss off other fan bases that think we were over rated last year.

It's a guess.

Heat_dawg has it nailed. Used to be in that business and it's all about ratings, period. In today's cluttered world of media, you have to be provocative and stir up the pile. Sometimes people like Cowherd actually believe their own BS, but mostly the do/say things to evoke a response. Kind of like our current candidates fro commander in chief.

While it wasn't a popular view on this board or among Iowa fans, last year until the B1G championship game, Iowa wasn't considered to be worthy. We played a lousy schedule (we couldn't control it, I know) and didn't have convincing wins against teams like Iowa State, Minnesota, Indiana... hell, many outsiders viewed the last second FG against Pitt and the 10-6 win at Wisconsin to be pretty "lucky". Didn't have to play MSU, UM, OSU, or even PSU in crossovers.

Step back, look at it from the viewpoint of an average fan not in B1G country. There's no "conspiracy" here - one could claim Iowa wasn't a legit top 5 team. Ironically, after the B1G championship loss, all of the talking heads and average fans turned 180 degrees and suddenly respected Iowa. Too bad the Rose Bowl was a such a debacle.

Oh well, a chance to back up an excellent overall season and prove Iowa can do it with high expectations!

I'm probably in the minority here but I like Cowherd. He has a noticeable PAC12 bias but at least he brings some pretty good banter with his analysis and, more often than not, his show is pretty entertaining IMO - and that is more than you can say with so many of the Dan Patrick wannabees.

I'm probably in the minority here but I like Cowherd. He has a noticeable PAC12 bias but at least he brings some pretty good banter with his analysis and, more often than not, his show is pretty entertaining IMO - and that is more than you can say with so many of the Dan Patrick wannabees.

WOB? :cool:

He thinks Iowa has the easiest schedule among Power 5 conference teams. This guy is an idiot.

Funny, Iowa handled both of those opponents much better than UM did and yet UM didn't take any flak for needing double OT against IU and a goal line stand as the clock ran out against Minnesota (31-30 win).

Tgats because Michigan wasn't in the playoff discussion

I like all the backhanded complements.

Yeah they will basically be here because of their schedule.

Do I think they are the 8th most talented team? No. But, they do have the best player in the conference, an all conference linebacker and the second QB to go in the NFL draft.

Colin is a shill for his employer. Part of me understands this and part of me as a pure football fan ticks me off. Just like politics.... Where can you go to get unbiased coverage? I am just not sure but it is a good process to listen to different views. Although from a political standpoint I find myself a happier person not watching CNN and FOX anymore.

He thinks Iowa has the easiest schedule among Power 5 conference teams. This guy is an idiot.

Maybe of the Top 25-30 teams. It is quite easy, once again. Our non-conference has two of the lowest ranked D1 schools in Miami of Ohio & Iowa State. Then a D2 school(yeah it is mighty ND St, but it's D2). Then road games at Rutgers, Minnesota, PU, Illannoy and PSU.

Preseason we should be favored in all 7 road games, and 3 of the 4 home conference games. If that ain't slanted towards the Hawks, then I do not know what is...

Maybe of the Top 25-30 teams. It is quite easy, once again. Our non-conference has two of the lowest ranked D1 schools in Miami of Ohio & Iowa State. Then a D2 school(yeah it is mighty ND St, but it's D2). Then road games at Rutgers, Minnesota, PU, Illannoy and PSU.

Preseason we should be favored in all 7 road games, and 3 of the 4 home conference games. If that ain't slanted towards the Hawks, then I do not know what is...
This. An argument can absolutely be made that we will have the easiest P5 schedule. No one will really know if that's true until late November though.

Reactions: ThomesG.Hey
This. An argument can absolutely be made that we will have the easiest P5 schedule. No one will really know if that's true until late November though.

And just like I posted above, all Iowa can do is play Iowa's schedule and win the games. If somehow Iowa is undefeated again (I'd give that about a 0.5% chance) expect the talking heads to be railing against us just like they did in 2015. The only way this wouldn't happen is if we beat an undefeated Michigan in Kinnick, IMO. Even then we'd probably be looking at a rematch with them in Indianapolis, or (worse) a game against Ohio State.

I guess I do not understand the love Michigan is getting this year. Sure, they have a lot of talent, but they also have 4 guys fighting for the starting QB position which means they must be splitting reps at this point. To place Michigan in the top 10 means that they are expected to have excellent QB play. Whoever gets the job will be thrown under a magnifying glass by the media and the fans expecting a great year. That's a lot of pressure.

Good teams are often favored in their games. While I agree that our schedule isn't that difficult, being favored isn't definitive proof that our schedule is easy. I feel that our schedule is even easier than last year, while adding Michigan all of our best opponents are at home

I feel that many teams would struggle with our schedule though. We don't play a ton of 1-20 teams but a ton of 21-50 teams

I guess I do not understand the love Michigan is getting this year. Sure, they have a lot of talent, but they also have 4 guys fighting for the starting QB position which means they must be splitting reps at this point. To place Michigan in the top 10 means that they are expected to have excellent QB play. Whoever gets the job will be thrown under a magnifying glass by the media and the fans expecting a great year. That's a lot of pressure.

They have questions at QB, but people/pundits trust Harbaugh's ability to get good quarterback play. No one would have suspected Rudock would be a NFL draft pick, yet he was after a year at UM. Harbaugh also brought Alex Smith back from the dead at San Fran, and Kaepernick's career nose-dived after Harbaugh left SF.

Rest of Michigan's squad, especially the defense, looks outstanding.

Doesn't Cowherd work for FOX now? Didn't Fox just sign a huge deal with the Big Ten? I kinda wonder if he was told to straighten his @$$ up.
I'm not so sure he was necessarily told to change anything. I'm guessing he simply realizes who he worked for at the time (and ESPN is the SEC) and who he's working for now and knows where his bread is buttered.

He might be crazy but he's not stupid

While it wasn't a popular view on this board or among Iowa fans, last year until the B1G championship game, Iowa wasn't considered to be worthy. We played a lousy schedule (we couldn't control it, I know) and didn't have convincing wins against teams like Iowa State, Minnesota, Indiana... hell, many outsiders viewed the last second FG against Pitt and the 10-6 win at Wisconsin to be pretty "lucky". Didn't have to play MSU, UM, OSU, or even PSU in crossovers.

Step back, look at it from the viewpoint of an average fan not in B1G country. There's no "conspiracy" here - one could claim Iowa wasn't a legit top 5 team. Ironically, after the B1G championship loss, all of the talking heads and average fans turned 180 degrees and suddenly respected Iowa. Too bad the Rose Bowl was a such a debacle.

Oh well, a chance to back up an excellent overall season and prove Iowa can do it with high expectations!
All of what you say is legitimate argument. But Cowherd went overboard on his criticism and was an a****** about it. Obviously he was doing it all for ratings but there are better ways to get your point across and he's just a dick

NDSU is D1, not D2. D1 FCS with 63 scholarships. D2 only has 36.

Cowherd loves Iowa because he is all about the QBs and Iowa has one of the best in the country.

Um, probably pretty close to true. We are hovering around 60th for SOS last time I looked.
Not to mention that Michigan, Michigan St, and Ohio State play 5 home B1G games, while Iowa plays 5 road B1G games. Oh wait, what were you saying?

Not to mention that Michigan, Michigan St, and Ohio State play 5 home B1G games, while Iowa plays 5 road B1G games. Oh wait, what were you saying?

The B1G is known for weak schedules in general, ESPN doesn't have a single Big 10 school in their top 25 for SOS. I'm confused on what rebuttal you're trying to make.

Reactions: ThomesG.Hey

Cowherd didn't say Iowa wasn't a legitimate top 5 team. He said Iowa wasn't a legitimate top 25 team.

I said last year that if I had to rank Iowa based on who I think we'd beat on a neutral field (i.e., not on where they deserved to be ranked, but on how good I think they were), I'd probably have ranked them around 15th in the country. We were a very good team with a favorable schedule. Cowherd, on the other hand, basically said that we had no talent and were a complete fraud.

There's a line between level-headed criticism, and irrational trolling. It was clear which side of that line Cowherd was on.

Reactions: ichawk24 and EZ2BJZ
I guess I do not understand the love Michigan is getting this year. Sure, they have a lot of talent, but they also have 4 guys fighting for the starting QB position which means they must be splitting reps at this point.

I agree Michigan has a massive question at QB. But there aren't 4 guys fighting for a starting spot, there are 2. There are also no reps right now because fall practice hasn't started (though will soon). One candidate to start (John O'Korn) has 2 seasons under his belt at Houston (including AAC offensive frosh of the year) and another year of practice at Michigan. The other candidate (Wilton Speight) played some in relief of Rudock last year and is in his 3rd year in the program. It's not like 2 true freshmen battling for the job. Whoever comes out on top of the competition likely is at least decent and probably fairly good. Harbaugh is pretty good at coaching QBs. The chances of Michigan having poor QB play this season are fairly remote.

The B1G is known for weak schedules in general, ESPN doesn't have a single Big 10 school in their top 25 for SOS. I'm confused on what rebuttal you're trying to make.

which is kinda odd when you have this CBS article ranking Wisconsin's schedule the most difficult in the country with LSU, @ MSU, @ UM, OSU, @ Iowa, Nebraska, @ Northwestern.

Reactions: WORTHYWISH
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT