ADVERTISEMENT

Over 30% of Iowa Players Unvaccinated. They will be Tested Weekly. If they Cause a a Game to Be Canceled....

Status
Not open for further replies.

And both Moderna and Pfizer have submitted additional paperwork to go from authorized use to full approval. Bottom line is, if you are eligible and you've avoided getting the vaccine, you're a dumb dumb. The Delta variant is much more contagious and we're back to square one if folks are going around unmasked and unvaxxed.

Amazing this long in the thread how many still don’t get it. The rules are the rules. It’s not about whether the rules are right or not. By not getting vaxxed, you’re putting the team at risk of forfeiting and therefore are putting yourself above the team. Not really any other points to be made.

Again, everybody arguing about the same crap in this thread are completely missing the point.

1. If you are vaccinated you won't be tested by the Big 10. You have a 0% chance to be forced to miss games.
2. If you aren't vaccinated and test positive, you could put other people on the shelf due to contact tracing.

When it comes to Iowa football, those are the only two meaningful things here. Those are the rules and they will be enforced this season. Players who are unvaccinated are likely not putting themselves at risk, but we knew that already. What they are putting at risk is the success of the Iowa football program this season. I've consistently been told that football is the ultimate team game. These guys should be getting vaccinated to be team players if nothing else.

And remember the timing.

Our first game is in 39 days

If they get the Pfizer shot today
, the 2nd shot can occur in 21 days. You are not considered fully vaccinated until 14 days after that. That only gives that player 4 days to spare.

And if, say, roughly 30% of our 85 scholarship roster is unvaccinated, that means at least 25 of the 85 are unvaccinated. That's kinda scary to think about.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
And remember the timing.

Our first game is in 39 days

If they get the Pfizer shot today
, the 2nd shot can occur in 21 days. You are not considered fully vaccinated until 14 days after that. That only gives that player 4 days to spare.

And if, say, roughly 30% of our 85 scholarship roster is unvaccinated, that means at least 25 of the 85 are unvaccinated. That's kinda scary to think about.

Johnson & Johnson is still an alternative.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Please stop lying. They were approved by the FDA for emergency use.

I believe emergency use simply means 'we haven't had time to fully long term test this but we need to try anything'. I think the fact we don't know long term effects is why almost everyone opposing the vaccine is concerned.

And both Moderna and Pfizer have submitted additional paperwork to go from authorized use to full approval. Bottom line is, if you are eligible and you've avoided getting the vaccine, you're a dumb dumb. The Delta variant is much more contagious and we're back to square one if folks are going around unmasked and unvaxxed.
there are stories today about how the vaccinated are losing patience with those who have yet to get vaccinated.

we had made so much progress as the vaccines rolled out. Now we are going backwards as the delta variant is spreading.

It looks like the CDC is going to recommend masks for everyone in the current covid/delta hot spots.

This is from the NY Times:

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I believe emergency use simply means 'we haven't had time to fully long term test this but we need to try anything'. I think the fact we don't know long term effects is why almost everyone opposing the vaccine is concerned.

Bingo. Let me put this foreign chemical into my bloodstream that has exactly zero studies on long term effects. And they wonder why some people are hesitant to get it.

Asbestos was once all the rate.

Bingo. Let me put this foreign chemical into my bloodstream that has exactly zero studies on long term effects. And they wonder why some people are hesitant to get it.

That's bullshit. The vaccines went through all sorts of clinical trials before getting the emergency use authorization. It was fast tracked but they didn't skip steps to get it through.

there are stories today about how the vaccinated are losing patience with those who have yet to get vaccinated.

we had made so much progress as the vaccines rolled out. Now we are going backwards as the delta variant is spreading.

It looks like the CDC is going to recommend masks for everyone in the current covid/delta hot spots.

This is from the NY Times:

The delta variant is much more contagious but much less lethal and that is how variants of diseases work.

Two of the hardest hit countries for the Delta variant are two of the most vaccinated countries, England and Israel.

On one hand you state your a libertarian, and now we get Covid variants which will be weaker than the original and you want to mandate for everyone. Sounds like a faux libertarian to me.

The delta variant is much more contagious but much less lethal and that is how variants of diseases work.

Two of the hardest hit countries for the Delta variant are two of the most vaccinated countries, England and Israel.

On one hand you state your a libertarian, and now we get Covid variants which will be weaker than the original and you want to mandate for everyone. Sounds like a faux libertarian to me.

You're a complete, certified idiot.

Again, everybody arguing about the same crap in this thread are completely missing the point.

1. If you are vaccinated you won't be tested by the Big 10. You have a 0% chance to be forced to miss games.
2. If you aren't vaccinated and test positive, you could put other people on the shelf due to contact tracing.

When it comes to Iowa football, those are the only two meaningful things here. Those are the rules and they will be enforced this season. Players who are unvaccinated are likely not putting themselves at risk, but we knew that already. What they are putting at risk is the success of the Iowa football program this season. I've consistently been told that football is the ultimate team game. These guys should be getting vaccinated to be team players if nothing else.
If I was an unvaccinated kid and sticking to that I would sue. Unfair treatment. Some places are back to making vaccinated people wear masks again. So if a vaccinated person can get it and transmit it again, why should not they be tested also?

• Haha
Kill the hysterics, Fran. The science says that natural immunity is just as good as getting vaccinated. Certainly some of the 30% who are refusing the vaccine have contracted and recovered from COVID-19. There is no valid reason for them to get vaccinated.

The league policy should be that a vacccination or a positive antibody test exempt a player from testing.

Prior infection should be counted the same as having been vaccinated. Anyone who disagrees with this approach favors ignorant hysteria over rational logic informed by science. Fran is one of those people.
If our bodies weren't good at immunity we would just keep getting covid over and over. Our bodies do a great job at building immunity from infection.

You're the idiot living in hickville, backward Arkansas who can't interpret what I wrote.

I simply wrote that the covid pandemic is not over.

And that is why unvaccinated Iowa players will get tested weekly.
Again youre arguing with yourself. He didnt say its been over for a year, he said its been over a year. Very factual statement. You are the one who misread and went on a tirade. Just say you misread, not a big deal.

Reactions: SconnieAlum
Again youre arguing with yourself. He didnt say its been over for a year, he said its been over a year. Very factual statement. You are the one who misread and went on a tirade. Just say you misread, not a big deal.
God wouldn’t that be nice!

@Franisdaman, you simply misinterpreted what the other guy posted and then carried on screaming about it…

And what is it with you and all the “Hick” comments?? I live in a progressive, well-educated and highly-populated area of the state.

How can there be studies on long term effects when the vaccines are well short of a year since they were rolled out?

Reactions: SconnieAlum
God wouldn’t that be nice!

@Franisdaman, you simply misinterpreted what the other guy posted and then carried on screaming about it…

And what is it with you and all the “Hick” comments?? I live in a progressive, well-educated and highly-populated area of the state.

You want to talk about misinterpreting something?

You think I am screaming.

The truth? My jaw is dropping reading some of these posts.

And here is some more truth, like it or not. I hope everyone is prepared for the possibility that Iowa will not be able to field a team for a game or games this season. We have all been warned. So if it happens, there should be no outrage.

Another typical progressive trait is to beat their chest and explain how those that disagree should get in line and obey due to their self proclaimed superior intelligence.
Your beliefs reek of politics. So, one is progressive if they want the moron anti-vaxxers to stop being morons and get the vaccine?

That's not progressive; that's just intelligent.

No. They are putting themselves AND the team at risk. Delta variant is hitting unvaccinated people in their 20s much harder than last year.

Epidemiologists know this. Are you an expert, or a science-denier?

HUNDREDS of colleges and universities nationwide are mandating Covid vaccines, as they have for decades for MMR, typhoid, smallpox etc.

Your beliefs reek of politics. So, one is progressive if they want the moron anti-vaxxers to stop being morons and get the vaccine?

That's not progressive; that's just intelligent.

Thank you.

It's crazy how people think that using common sense means that a person automatically is a liberal or a progressive.

Hell, I have quickly been called a MAGAt and a Trumpanzee on HROT simply because I had a view that differed from the liberal echo chamber that exists over there.

As I mentioned above, we vaccinated folks are getting impatient and frustrated with those who refuse to get vaccinated.
Come at me bro, I’m just as frustrated or more with you all telling us what to do with our body when you took the shot and are safe. Let’s turn the tables, let’s say Goodson, Linderbaum Campbell and Laporta all were part of the 30% unvaccinated players and decided against playing because they didn’t want to be forced into taking the vaccine. Would you say your stance on this stupid rule is hurting the team then? You still haven’t nor has anyone answered whether you like the rule or not?

Come at me bro, I’m just as frustrated or more with you all telling us what to do with our body when you took the shot and are safe. Let’s turn the tables, let’s say Goodson, Linderbaum Campbell and Laporta all were part of the 30% unvaccinated players and decided against playing because they didn’t want to be forced into taking the vaccine. Would you say your stance on this stupid rule is hurting the team then? You still haven’t nor has anyone answered whether you like the rule or not?
WTF are you talking about? This "scenario" you are proposing is dumb as ****. Liking the rule means nothing. It's. The. Rule.

Also, if they decided against playing, I'd say they were dumb for not taking a vaccine that is harmless.

How can there be studies on long term effects when the vaccines are well short of a year since they were rolled out?
Your making the point for all of us anti Covid vaxers. If your not in an at risk demographic, why are we going to take a risk on a vaccine that hasn’t had time to show the long term effects? I doubt they rolled out the flu shot in a year and we have never mandated it even though thousands die every year from it. If you are in a vulnerable group then it probably makes more sense to take it. Healthy college athletes are not at risk. Where does it stop with this quasi mandating on what we put in our body? This is so unAmerican.

WTF are you talking about? This "scenario" you are proposing is dumb as ****. Liking the rule means nothing. It's. The. Rule.

Also, if they decided against playing, I'd say they were dumb for not taking a vaccine that is harmless.
Again none of you clowns can answer whether you think the rule is stupid or not.

Maryland is the other one I know of for sure. According to the B10 coaches, this is where their percentages are currently:

Northwestern 90-95%
Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Rutgers, and Michigan all >90%
Wisconsin 85%
Penn State "well over 70%" and pushing hard to get to 100%
Ohio State is pushing for 100%, but they have a ways to go (still ahead of Iowa)
Illinois is pushing hard to get everyone vaxxed prior to fall practice starting.

A June case at Iowa already affected off season workouts for a number of players. Our margins are so thin any way, this could be the factor that will swing a game or two into the loss column that would have otherwise gone our way. I'm not very optimistic that this won't negatively affect us down the road. If Ferentz isn't pushing hard and educating the players on this, then he's really not doing his job well, not at all.
OK, I was referencing IU requiring all students and staff to be jabbed...not just the footballers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT