ADVERTISEMENT

Pan Ams, Qualifier

Nick Lee totally crapped the bed in that match.
I'd like to hear John Smith describe how Lee "fell over like a building giving" up takedowns.
Interesting how Gomez can lay on the mat screaming in pain and then afterwards wrestle like it never happened.
What an absolute mess. America getting beat by Americans. At this rate why would anyone be compelled to run the gauntlet in the US? Just find the country your great great grandma was born in.

Yes I know the Russians do this but they never fail to qualify the weight. (PEDs excluded)

What an absolute mess. America getting beat by Americans. At this rate why would anyone be compelled to run the gauntlet in the US? Just find the country your great great grandma was born in.

Yes I know the Russians do this but they never fail to qualify the weight. (PEDs excluded)

Right? You don’t have to run a gauntlet. Just have to beat one.

it sucks but i really don’t blame them. i really hope spencer gets the 57kg spot this year but if he doesn’t he should absolutely compete for france during the next quad

Was KJ in Gomez’s corner? I’m assuming so. If so what a F’d up scenario; a former USA national coach coaching an American, in a wrestling room in the US, to compete for another country to keep an actual US wrestler from qualifying the weight for the Olympics. Seems messed up to me.

Nick Lee should either retire from competitive wrestling or never be allowed to try and qualify a weight for the Olympics ever again.
That was fricking terrible.
Probably ranting a bit here because I'm pissed, we didn't get 65 kg qualified today.
Gol dang that was bad!

Could Spencer Lee compete for France if he doesn't make the U.S. team? I'd assume he would have already sorted that out by now though.

Was KJ in Gomez’s corner? I’m assuming so. If so what a F’d up scenario; a former USA national coach coaching an American, in a wrestling room in the US, to compete for another country to keep an actual US wrestler from qualifying the weight for the Olympics. Seems messed up to me.
To add insult to injury, KJ won the United States an Olympic gold and 2 world gold. At least we can credit him with destroying the ISU program for good.

Now Gomez has McNeil. So will be KJ in one corner and Ramos in the other

• Wow
Reactions: vhsalum and Exo
RBY 10-6 win over a guy Spencer teched in a minute. #impressive
I'm still laughing at the post last week that stated, all of the guys in Spencer's weight last week would be beaten by Iowa High School State Champs. I guess Iowa High School wrestling has really improved:) How many high school kids lose to RBY by a score of 10-6 and the guy from VEN wasn't the one in the bracket that had taken 9th in the world in a previous World Championships... Interesting to see RBY next round, although having a few more hours to rehydrate and eat will 100% help him get ready for the next round. I'm just hoping Zane comes to wrestle. He cuts hard as well, so wrestling in the afternoon will help him as well. We need him to beat Cruz again this weekend.

Honestly, that loss for Nick Lee makes things tough for us to qualify the weight. It was frustrating to watch, as he looked completely gassed. Obviously, Gomez is a dangerous opponent, but, I'm definitely surprised. I thought Nick would cruise.

I don't think RBY (or anyone) poses much of a threat to Spencer in freestyle. Spencer is on another level from par terre. I think he gives us the best chance at gold. Hopefully, we get the weight qualified.

Have
Honestly, that loss for Nick Lee makes things tough for us to qualify the weight. It was frustrating to watch, as he looked completely gassed. Obviously, Gomez is a dangerous opponent, but, I'm definitely surprised. I thought Nick would cruise.

I don't think RBY (or anyone) poses much of a threat to Spencer in freestyle. Spencer is on another level from par terre. I think he gives us the best chance at gold. Hopefully, we get the weight qualified.
We still need to see Spencer grind out a close match, IMO.

My guess is a bad weight cut he gassed bad.

I don't think he gassed at all. Gomez is dang good. I do think he mentally freaked out/made a HUGE FS mistake.

It was 12-12 and he gives up an absolutely silly 4 by trying to sit up and defend that blast double. That's just a bad mistake. He had this look on his face, like "WTF" - and then didn't even defend the lace.

Thought Nick would cruise as well. Even when he got body locked, I would have thought no big deal once he got off his back. But it looked like doubt reared its ugly head. PSU/NLWC are good at pretty much everything but they are no longer allowed to try and qualify the weight at 65KG 😂

Maybe he shouldn't have been pissing around with the Pan Am tournament last weekend and been concentrating on being ready to get the weight qualified for the Olympics.
I’m pretty sure Spencer Lee was not allowed to wrestle in this qualifier! It’s my understanding we send one of top 3 on Team USA ladder.

Reactions: el dub
I’m pretty sure Spencer Lee was not allowed to wrestle in this qualifier! It’s my understanding we send one of top 3 on Team USA ladder.
He's refering to Nick Lee wresting in the Pam AM Championships last weekend, then turning around and wrestling the qualifier today. He did not need to wrestle last weekend. That was his choice.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and el dub

VEN gutted RBY, so RBY better not give up a TD:)

Spencer - Gilman is going to be an all out war.

And if spencer makes the team? Man, i can't wait to see him wrestle some of those foreign guys.

Speed of Higuchi, Strength and positioning of Abakarov, the shiftiness and creativity of Uguev. Oh and the bigness of Micic.
If Vito has a healthy cut, he is by far my biggest concern, maybe along with Uguev.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT