ADVERTISEMENT

Parents say students at Arizona school were told to remove MAGA gear, one was suspended...

MAGA clearly refers to a time when segregation was legal and therefore should be considered hate speech.

Is every one of these stories gonna be a post?

Right? When did we get to the point where local school discipline became a national interest? I can see it being relevant if a lawsuit makes it far enough in the court system, but this is silly.

I got a Saturday detention for "stealing a car" in high school, maybe my parents should have gone to the press to rally support for me and "my cause".

Last edited:
Reactions: TailgateTom
Let's try to make only those you're comfortable with a post.

Thanks.

Or we could just post every friggin news story that uses the word MAGA hat as its own post. Maybe one big mega thread you know one that has like 300 some odd pages and 250K views, like the left has the ability to do.

Reactions: Moral
Me? So you think it’s ok for students in a school to wear clothing specifically to bully, harass, and spew hate on other students?

That’s messed up.

My opinion and your opinion of MAGA are both irrelevant. If it’s being used to bully, it should not be allowed. Period.
Wearing clothing to bully, that is funny.

So...wearing KKK garbs to school is fine because clothes can’t bully or spew hate? Derp.

Reactions: mstp1992
Why should a public school allow kids to wear offensive hate speech? Of course MAGA gear should be banned. No brainer.
If this isnt a troll, I completely fvcking give up on society.

100% not a troll. I’ll let you google it yourself. But I’m confident you’ll find many instances where people, including HS kids, have used MAGA gear in a racist way towards Hispanics or blacks.

Perhaps it’s a “few idiots ruined it for everyone else” situation; but to deny it’s not happening is very ignorant.

Reactions: mstp1992
Cult merchandise should not be allowed in schools. It doesn't matter the cult's mission statement, it doesn't need to indoctrinate our children in school
I sort of agree. But the way things are going in America, science will be declared a cult by Texas legislatures. Not that many kids are likely to wear science merchandise, but you get the idea.

I don't know how large high schools are in Iowa but mine in Florida had over 2000 students. It is not beyond reason that an administrator would not know all of them.

Our local school district does not allow a student to wear anything with political commentary. If that school district has the same policy, it's on the students and not the administrators.
Why would political commentary be band by a school district? JFC, is this communist china? I think that is absolutely ridiculous and very anti American.

Me? So you think it’s ok for students in a school to wear clothing specifically to bully, harass, and spew hate on other students?

That’s messed up.

My opinion and your opinion of MAGA are both irrelevant. If it’s being used to bully, it should not be allowed. Period.
Back when I was a free speech absolutist, I would have vehemently disagreed with this. But these days, I'm increasingly sympathetic with your view.

The problem is, who decides when there is a bullying intent, and on what criteria.

If a HS kid wears a sweatshirt with a pithy Richard Dawkins atheism quote that offends some Christians (or Muslims or Jews or...), is that bullying?

Reactions: Chuck C
Back when I was a free speech absolutist, I would have vehemently disagreed with this. But these days, I'm increasingly sympathetic with your view.

The problem is, who decides when there is a bullying intent, and on what criteria.

If a HS kid wears a sweatshirt with a pithy Richard Dawkins atheism quote that offends some Christians (or Muslims or Jews or...), is that bullying?
No to your last question and if you believe that students should be censored for supporting political beliefs then we are failing our children.

Why would political commentary be band by a school district? JFC, is this communist china? I think that is absolutely ridiculous and very anti American.
Lots of schools ban political clothing. Same with foul language, or images. A lot of public schools have things they ban. It’s really not that unusual.

Last edited:
Unless there is more to this story, this is absolute bullshit. And to anyone claiming MAGA is hate speech, get a fvcking grip. It’s not. It’s a stupid message and trump is garbage, but the MAGA alone is not hate speech, period.
Nor are a noose or a pointy white hood hate speech. Except when they are.

I get your point, but it isn't that simple.

I tend to err on the side of allowing - but criticizing - hate speech, simply because suppressing it is a very slippery slope.

But this is a school. And I wouldn't be opposed to a consistently-enforced ban on any sort of political or religious "advertising" on school grounds or at school events.

No to your last question and if you believe that students should be censored for supporting political beliefs then we are failing our children.
I don't believe in censoring children. I believe in schools and school events being dedicated to their function.

I used to hate the idea of school uniforms. I'm more sympathetic to that approach now.

32f5f460-30fd-4b1b-982f-217a7dd96856-52889965_10219046605100924_8943943423082102784_n.jpg

So hateful.... :rolleyes:

Now, imagine you're a kid from a Muslim family, directly impacted by the original travel ban who has to see this crap at school.....

Not a "freedom of speech" issue; it's a school. If the school wants to have a policy against political messaging, and enforces it fairly, then pay the price if choose to violate the policy during school hours. Put on your shirt after the bell rings at the end of the day when you're off school property.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Now, imagine you're a kid from a Muslim family, directly impacted by the original travel ban who has to see this crap at school.....

Not a "freedom of speech" issue; it's a school. If the school wants to have a policy against political messaging, and enforces it fairly, then pay the price if choose to violate the policy during school hours. Put on your shirt after the bell rings at the end of the day when you're off school property.

Why would American Muslims want terrorists to travel here?

32f5f460-30fd-4b1b-982f-217a7dd96856-52889965_10219046605100924_8943943423082102784_n.jpg

I think there is probably more to the story with this school's policy so I'll wait until I hear more on their actions, but I am interested in Trump supporters thoughts on the actual results of Trump becoming President. What exactly is being done to make America great again?

And that was payback for how Bush was treated, which was retribution for how Clinton was treated, which was retaliation for how Reagan was treated, and on and on and on.....
Junior’s problems were more with his own than with Dems. Clinton’s problems were GOP driven as they chased him with a SP for damn near 6 years Nd found nothing....Reagan’s issues were for the most part, his problems. Reagan got a whole lot from Dems legislatively...Tip saved his butt more than once.

That’s messed up.

Thanks for sharing your views.

It does become difficult to decide where to draw the line in the sand. Personally (and I’m an active Christian), I don’t have a problem with an atheist shirt, a lesbians are cool shirt (referenced above), etc. I think stating your beliefs is fine. We all should recognize that others have differing views.

In the past, I think an Obama or Romney, or Reagan, etc shirt would have been fine.

But when HS gyms start chanting MAGA at opposing black/Hispanic athletes, or when students wear their Trump shirts deliberately to tell Hispanic students they don’t want them in this country, it becomes inappropriate and should not be allowed.

And, what I don’t get, is how there are seemingly no Trump supporters actively trying to stop the use of MAGA for hate.

If you disagree with those views, and you think a MAGA hat should be perfectly acceptable, then do something about it. Let others know it’s unacceptable to use as a hate message instead of merely political support. Take back your message.

However, I’m increasingly of the believe that it is an intended purpose of MAGA. Outright racism and bigotry has finely become largely taboo. So instead, people are finding veiled ways to deliver their message with plausible deniability. MAGA has become that. I’m not sure if people are pissed because they are ignorant of how it’s being used and perceived...or if they’re pissed that they’re losing their plausible deniability.

Thanks for sharing your views.

It does become difficult to decide where to draw the line in the sand. Personally (and I’m an active Christian), I don’t have a problem with an atheist shirt, a lesbians are cool shirt (referenced above), etc. I think stating your beliefs is fine. We all should recognize that others have differing views.

In the past, I think an Obama or Romney, or Reagan, etc shirt would have been fine.

But when HS gyms start chanting MAGA at opposing black/Hispanic athletes, or when students wear their Trump shirts deliberately to tell Hispanic students they don’t want them in this country, it becomes inappropriate and should not be allowed.
Which is why I'm somewhat inclined to support a blanket ban on all political and religious advertising in schools or at school events. My problem is that I can think of plenty of examples that might be called political or religious that I wouldn't want banned.

So what should schools do?

Ideally, they would do such a good job of teaching that we wouldn't have many kids who express racist values, or deny good science, or believe politicians' and media lies.

But that isn't happening. And probably won't happen. Especially when we don't allocate enough money and other resources. And when we allow parochial bigots in large states to determine the content of textbooks. And when we allow social media to be a hotbed of dangerous misinformation.

Reactions: ping72 and Chuck C
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT