ADVERTISEMENT

Parents say students at Arizona school were told to remove MAGA gear, one was suspended...

The problem is going to be that this school district has not been diligent about policing political speech or potentially offensive messaging on their campus. Guarantee they haven't. So whether they intend it or not the school will have the appearance of favoring certain speech. In essence the school district is screwed on this. In addition they have suspended a student for 10 days. Let that sink in...10 days. In Iowa I think it is illegal for a school district to keep a kid out of school for more than 10 days without a hearing.

Remember this about school districts and administration. Every single significant movement forward on things like free speech or the rights of students including those students that are disabled has been the result of suing their stupid asses.

I’d wager this is the reason we such poorly behaved college students. They are never taught that it’s reasonable to have your ideas challenged in high school. You parents are picking safe schools over effective ones. If that’s going to be your choice, I choose to stop paying for your kids.

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
The problem is going to be that this school district has not been diligent about policing political speech or potentially offensive messaging on their campus. Guarantee they haven't. So whether they intend it or not the school will have the appearance of favoring certain speech. In essence the school district is screwed on this. In addition they have suspended a student for 10 days. Let that sink in...10 days. In Iowa I think it is illegal for a school district to keep a kid out of school for more than 10 days without a hearing.

Remember this about school districts and administration. Every single significant movement forward on things like free speech or the rights of students including those students that are disabled has been the result of suing their stupid asses.

Or the kids were told to quiet down part way through the day, they chose to not listen, things escalated and the principal chose to put a stop to it. It wouldn't be the first time this week that some high school kids pushed the envelope, massaged the story so they were the victims and their parents helicopter in and swallow the story whole without a thought that their precious could be minimizing the roll they played in the controversy. The only people that actually know the whole story are the administrators and the kids.

Reactions: gohawks50
Or the kids were told to quiet down part way through the day, they chose to not listen, things escalated and the principal chose to put a stop to it. It wouldn't be the first time this week that some high school kids pushed the envelope, massaged the story so they were the victims and their parents helicopter in and swallow the story whole without a thought that their precious could be minimizing the roll they played in the controversy. The only people that actually know the whole story are the administrators and the kids.

Sure. Except for the ten day suspension and the school resource officer taking pictures of the kids in their shirts and hats. For evidence.

The district is truly and justifiably screwed in this.

I like to take an optimistic approach with regards to the MAGA hatters. Think of it as an easy way to identify people that you shouldn't waste your time on and whom should be avoided.

They have made that identification easy and saved you the effort.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Sure. Except for the ten day suspension and the school resource officer taking pictures of the kids in their shirts and hats. For evidence.

The district is truly and justifiably screwed in this.

Do you have a link to the ten day suspension and a quote as to why pictures were taken?

32f5f460-30fd-4b1b-982f-217a7dd96856-52889965_10219046605100924_8943943423082102784_n.jpg

So hateful.... :rolleyes:
Anti- American

Did every single person in this thread miss the fact that this was a spirit day at the school? It wasn't just a normal Wednesday.

It was USA day at the school. It was an intentional distraction day. It's the schools fault for asking the kids to wear pro American clothing and then getting upset when kids wore pro American and pro potus clothing.

Pro Putin and pro POTUS.

And, what I don’t get, is how there are seemingly no Trump supporters actively trying to stop the use of MAGA for hate.

If you disagree with those views, and you think a MAGA hat should be perfectly acceptable, then do something about it. Let others know it’s unacceptable to use as a hate message instead of merely political support. Take back your message.

However, I’m increasingly of the believe that it is an intended purpose of MAGA. Outright racism and bigotry has finely become largely taboo. So instead, people are finding veiled ways to deliver their message with plausible deniability. MAGA has become that. I’m not sure if people are pissed because they are ignorant of how it’s being used and perceived...or if they’re pissed that they’re losing their plausible deniability.

You’ve truly lost your mind.

When are you going to realize you are wrong. If you support Trump you are either:
1) a bigot; or
2) tolerating or turning a blind eye to bigotry.

Both are forms of bigotry. Whether you are passively or impassively racist is irrelevant. It may make you feel better that you’re not actively doing hate acts; but supporting Trump means you are allowing/tolerating hate. Which...makes you officially a bigot.

More nonsense from you.

It is in the article. You should read ir

I've read the OP's article and a few others. The most recent article from Fox included this...

"When we reached out to the Chandler Unified School District, the spokesperson confirmed one of the students, Logan James, was suspended, but for a different reason. She told us she does plan to apologize to the school's staff for being defiant."
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox1...-students-reprimanded-for-wearing-maga-attire

And another included this...

Arizona’s Family learned that the student will be told of their punishment on Monday and if they will actually be suspended.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.az...ffc2c418-3d74-11e9-9c01-239581f0716c.amp.html

Like I've already said, if they were reprimanded strictly for wearing Trump gear the staff involved should at the very least apologize. But, the story seems to be changing a bit and the OP's article is pretty light on facts and very heavy on opinion. Those opinions, conveniently, all come from the same side of the coin.

I've read the OP's article and a few others. The most recent article from Fox included this...

"When we reached out to the Chandler Unified School District, the spokesperson confirmed one of the students, Logan James, was suspended, but for a different reason. She told us she does plan to apologize to the school's staff for being defiant."
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox1...-students-reprimanded-for-wearing-maga-attire

Arizona’s Family learned that the student will be told of their punishment on Monday and if they will actually be suspended.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.az...ffc2c418-3d74-11e9-9c01-239581f0716c.amp.html

Like I've already said, if they were reprimanded strictly for wearing Trump gear the staff involved should at the very least apologize. But, the story seems to be changing a bit and the OP's article is pretty light on facts and very heavy on opinion. Those opinions, conveniently, all come from the same side of the coin.

The OP clearly stated that she refused to give school administrators her name until her mother got there.

I guess that was the "defiant" part?

The OP clearly stated that she refused to give school administrators her name until her mother got there.

I always the thought liberals embraced the idea of civil disobedience to address injustices.

Last edited:

Maybe...that's sort of the point I'm making...nobody outside I'd the people there knows. It reminds me of the DC/Drum massacre of 2019. There is likely more to this story than meets the eye and context matters. If it is how the girls and there mom say it is, f@ck the faculty that was involved, but it seems just as likely to me that some high school kids were being disruptive and chose a more dramatic path than was ultimately necessary.

Page 1 for Klan comparison.
Page 2 brought the Hitler comparison.

This land is made for you and me.

When are you going to realize you are wrong. If you support Trump you are either:
1) a bigot; or

Both are forms of bigotry. Whether you are passively or impassively racist is irrelevant. It may make you feel better that you’re not actively doing hate acts; but supporting Trump means you are allowing/tolerating hate. Which...makes you officially a bigot.

You are right how dare I support somebody who has a black cabinet member, or pardoned a black lady, or did criminal justice reform that greatly impacts minorities, or is the President when black unemployment is at its lowest point, or appointed an openly gay ambassador, wait I thought he was a racist and a bigot?

Should kids be allowed to wear Obama shirts in school? Obama has supported Farrakhan and has done some things that have made race relations worse during his Presidency.

First the ruling doesn’t require a protest. But anytime a person makes a political statement they are in an obvious state of protesting its antithesis. That’s obvious and your point is weak. Tinker says a school must demonstrate a substantial disruption to its core mission to restrict a student’s first amendment rights. The school can’t just assert that without there actually being harms. The school is wrong and so are you and several other posters in this thread.

I guess if the affected families protest it and it gets to the SC we'll find out....

It's only the wrong side if the aggrieved mother is completely accurate in her analysis of the situation. The principal has said that the students were being disruptive during lunch and after school while on school grounds. Tinker v Des Moines explicitly states that students can't be punished for wearing black arms bands if they aren't being disruptive to normal disciplinary conduct and/or limiting the rights of others. If the students were causing a scene at lunch and were told to tone it down, but refused, they've given up the moral ground of peaceful protest in school. Since the students' privacy is protected all anyone has to go by is the word of the principal and the word of the upset mother. One of those people can't legally discuss the details, and the other is a secondary source that seems to be filling in the gaps of the story with a whole lot of assumptions and opinion.

It seems to me that there is obviously more to this story than these poor kids being specifically targeted for wearing Trump gear. If the kids were in fact being disruptive on their own accord and were given fair warning that their behavior was inappropriate, it's completely reasonable for the administrators to take action.

That said, if all they did was wear shirts and hats while following the rules of the school, then the school is completely wrong and those kids deserve an apology.

...and there we go.

Chanting Trumpisms and MAGAisms (or if the clothing incited others to start arguments) certainly fits that bill. And FWIW, the school banned any MAGA-wear for their weekend dance/event.

The students noticed the school's police resource officer taking photos of them and others wearing MAGA gear without their permission, Jones said. When the officer asked her freshman daughter, Logan, for her name, the girl refused to answer, questioning why he needed her name.

"I thought the whole situation was weird. They're out of school, so why are you coming up to her?" Jones said.

When the girl refused, the officer said she had been a part of a disruption all day, that no one was allowed to have a Trump flag, Jones said. She said he told her daughter to go to the office.

There, administrators asked her what her name was again. She responded that she wasn't going to answer any questions until her mother arrived, Jones said.

When Jones got to the school 10 minutes later, she found that the administration had suspended her daughter for 10 days.

Right to remain silent until her mother gets there....

The kid isn't in trouble with the law, she's in trouble with her school. Vastly different standards of behavior. Also, as posted above a local paper learned yesterday that said student may not even be suspended and will have to wait until tomorrow to find out if she walks the plank or not.

The kid isn't in trouble with the law, she's in trouble with her school. Vastly different standards of behavior. Also, as posted above a local paper learned yesterday that said student may not even be suspended and will have to wait until tomorrow to find out if she walks the plank or not.

Sure. What do you think a school resource.officer is in most.schools? Schools have also been notorious for questioning kids without their parents present and then turning whatever they get over to the police. She is very smart to wait for an adult that has her interests at heart to show up.

Sure. What do you think a school resource.officer is in most.schools? Schools have also been notorious for questioning kids without their parents present and then turning whatever they get over to the police. She is very smart to wait for an adult that has her interests at heart to show up.

That's probably reasonable, but you're just drifting further and further from the point.

Now, imagine you're a kid from a Muslim family, directly impacted by the original travel ban who has to see this crap at school.....

Not a "freedom of speech" issue; it's a school. If the school wants to have a policy against political messaging, and enforces it fairly, then pay the price if choose to violate the policy during school hours. Put on your shirt after the bell rings at the end of the day when you're off school property.

Imagine you're a kid who's dad lost their cancer doctor because of the ACA and someone was wearing a "Hope" shirt. Same exact thing, right? Obama shirts are equally as bad...correct? I mean...if you want to go racist we can point to 20 years listening to Reverend Wright too.

But yeah...I think Obama shirts should be allowed too. Crazy you don't.

Last edited:
1) a bigot; or

Yup...very true. Much like supporting a party in favor of killing live babies laying on the delivery table. I mean..you're not the actual murderer, If supporting the party who has these people as leaders? Wow. You're just supporting the murder of viable babies basically. But that's Democrats. You don't need to worry about that.

Yup...very true. Much like supporting a party in favor of killing live babies laying on the delivery table. I mean..you're not the actual murderer, If supporting the party who has these people as leaders? Wow. You're just supporting the murder of viable babies basically. But that's Democrats. You don't need to worry about that.
You need help. I could refer you to some mental health professionals in your community.

Seriously when are you going to start realizing that just because you voted for Trump doesn’t make you a racist or bigot, etc. They aren’t mutually inclusive
No, but it does show you support a racist and a bigot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT