ADVERTISEMENT

Parker transfers from Lehigh to PSU

LOL

Iowa gets Desanto, Lugo & Renteria........great for Iowa, great for the sport
Penn State gets Matt Parker.........PENN STATE IS CHEATING!!!!!

Jealousy and an inferiority complex go together.
Iowa is likely to have its best year in quite some time, but so what to some of Iowa’s fans, most of whom are not as insecure.

Isnt Howard there future 25? Also think Teske is better.
Howard may be 125 some day, but maybe Cael is getting a little nervous bc Howard doesn't look as much like a sure thing as he did when he committed. As far as Teske goes, I was shocked he got the attention of PSU. I dont think he is ever high AA material. IMO Alex Thomsen had waaay more upside and was the better prospect.

Who said they chased him? That is like saying the Hawks do not think Desanto or Murin are legit or they wouldn't chase after Renteria. I do not think the Hawks chased Renter and I doubt PSU chased Parker.

This whole transfer thing is aggravating to me as a fan. I want kids to finish where they start and not jump ship every chance they get. Loyalty will soon be a thing of the past. The rich are just going to get richer.

Why hold the kids accountable to their NLI, if the coaches they signed to wrestle for get to leave whenever they want?

Reactions: shobart
Why hold the kids accountable to their NLI, if the coaches they signed to wrestle for get to leave whenever they want?
As a fan, I guess I see the good kids who come from small programs and add variety and spice to the NCAA tourney, leaving once they realize they have what it takes to be a champion and they head for bigger schools. I always loved it when a Bloomsburg guy won an NCAA title or a Lock Haven guy placed etc. It seems like we will see more and more defections and it will eventually just be a Big 10 Vs OSU vs Cornell and ASU tournament pretty soon.
Should kids have the right to change their mind? Yes! Do I like it? No. Also, a coach signs a 1 year contract usually and can be fired anytime. Kids are usually guaranteed 4 years scholarship. In an entitlement era, kids are way to easy to say, "this is not perfect. I want something else." They can be fooled and manipulated easier than an adult making a coaching change. I see your point, I just do not like the way things are trending in this area.

PSU’s claim is that Teske may not be able to make 125 so that would still support them going after other 125’s, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Teske is on the way out.

Please show the board the claim. Not from an uninformed board, but from the coaching staff.

Please show the board the claim. Not from an uninformed board, but from the coaching staff.

Who cares if he can make 125. Sounds like Parker is planning on being 125 and if he has any mat game at all he will beat out Teske. Teske just failed to place at the Jr open in a style that eliminates his worst wrestling position.

Reactions: TarpHawk
As a fan, I guess I see the good kids who come from small programs and add variety and spice to the NCAA tourney, leaving once they realize they have what it takes to be a champion and they head for bigger schools. I always loved it when a Bloomsburg guy won an NCAA title or a Lock Haven guy placed etc. It seems like we will see more and more defections and it will eventually just be a Big 10 Vs OSU vs Cornell and ASU tournament pretty soon.
Should kids have the right to change their mind? Yes! Do I like it? No. Also, a coach signs a 1 year contract usually and can be fired anytime. Kids are usually guaranteed 4 years scholarship. In an entitlement era, kids are way to easy to say, "this is not perfect. I want something else." They can be fooled and manipulated easier than an adult making a coaching change. I see your point, I just do not like the way things are trending in this area.
I don't think scholarships are guaranteed-maybe a B!G rule?

LOL

Iowa gets Desanto, Lugo & Renteria........great for Iowa, great for the sport
Penn State gets Matt Parker.........PENN STATE IS CHEATING!!!!!
See, I told you that you have a firm grasp on the reasoning skills of HR.

Jealousy and an inferiority complex go together.
Iowa is likely to have its best year in quite some time, but so what to some of Iowa’s fans, most of whom are not as insecure.
Best year?
A national champion, several other mid range AAs and a team finish between 3rd and 5th. Sounds like a good Iowa year, but pretty much what they've been doing for the past decade.

Best year?
A national champion, several other mid range AAs and a team finish between 3rd and 5th. Sounds like a good Iowa year, but pretty much what they've been doing for the past decade.

Nitlion6,

We all know that PSU is your pick for champs. I'm curious as to which other team you see ahead of the Hawks and which other two teams you see as evenly matched for next year.

I don't think scholarships are guaranteed-maybe a B!G rule?
They are not guaranteed in college wrestling anywhere in this universe. Several parallel universes have the guarantee but only Jammenz lives there. Interestingly, they also have fewer D1 programs.

Reactions: Ski
They are not guaranteed in college wrestling anywhere in this universe. Several parallel universes have the guarantee but only Jammenz lives there. Interestingly, they also have fewer D1 programs.

In 2014 Big ten guaranteed multi-year (4) scholarships to all student-athletes in good standing. In 2015, the power 5 + Notre Dame voted that they cannot take away a scholarship for any athletics reason.

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/

Reactions: nearfall2
Nitlion6,

We all know that PSU is your pick for champs. I'm curious as to which other team you see ahead of the Hawks and which other two teams you see as evenly matched for next year.

I know you didn't ask me, but, I think next year is going to be an extremely exciting team race that comes down to the finals. If that happens, it will be fun for everybody. Two years ago wasn't fun for my heart, but, it sure was fun seeing the championship (pretty much) come down to one match.

Reactions: smalls103
Nitlion6,

Based on the past decade someone in addition to PSU will place ahead of Iowa. My guess is one or both of the OSUs.

Last edited:

Haven’t we been over this? I believe Willie’s quote from Cael was something like “he thinks he can make it for a year.” Certainly seems to be some doubt in a statement like that. So unless Willie is faking interviews which I guess is possible, it was straight from the horse’s mouth.

Based on the past decade someone in addition to PSU will place ahead of Iowa. My guess is one or both of the OSUs.

Great logic. 10 years ago has nothing to do with this year. The decade before the one you referenced had Iowa winning consistently. Using your logic that should have continued.

Who said they chased him? That is like saying the Hawks do not think Desanto or Murin are legit or they wouldn't chase after Renteria. I do not think the Hawks chased Renter and I doubt PSU chased Parker.

This whole transfer thing is aggravating to me as a fan. I want kids to finish where they start and not jump ship every chance they get. Loyalty will soon be a thing of the past. The rich are just going to get richer.
I for one don’t mind the new transfer rules. Sometimes there are guys that just aren’t a fit at certain programs. Also makes sense for programs like penn state in which Carl recruits over the top of guys. Some of those guys deserve a shot elsewhere. Gunther for example - good for him finding a spot in a lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaybird319
I for one don’t mind the new transfer rules. Sometimes there are guys that just aren’t a fit at certain programs. Also makes sense for programs like penn state in which Carl recruits over the top of guys. Some of those guys deserve a shot elsewhere. Gunther for example - good for him finding a spot in a lineup.

This is one of the best posts I've seen in a while. Thank you.
ezgif.com-resize-11-2.gif

Reactions: KenBiscutmit
Holy shit. SMDH

Great logic. 10 years ago has nothing to do with this year. The decade before the one you referenced had Iowa winning consistently. Using your logic that should have continued.
He’s not talking ten years ago, he’s talking the last ten years. Duh. Penn State still has a contending team with great incoming recruits and the same coach in the best high school wrestling area in the country .

Teske is done at PSU...

Teske being recruited by PSU was always something of a head scratcher to me.

Teske was supposedly offered more money from PSU than Iowa, and that was a factor (?) in picking PSU. But the likelihood of him starting at PSU seemed a stretch. Teske was #34 p4p, and there were 3 guys projected at 125# ranked above him in that same class, including PSU recruit RBY (#12). Almost as if Cael was playing games or had spare $$$ to throw around.

Teske was supposedly offered more money from PSU than Iowa, and that was a factor (?) in picking PSU. But the likelihood of him starting at PSU seemed a stretch. Teske was #34 p4p, and there were 3 guys projected at 125# ranked above him in that same class, including PSU recruit RBY (#12). Almost as if Cael was playing games or had spare $$$ to throw around.

Exactly, it was a power play post Spencer Lee that ended up not working out real well as many thought would be the case.

Happy for Brody either way
Hows Schwabbys 33 situation lookin? Could Brodisal be a 4 yr starter?
Go Iowa!!
Nvmd wrestlestat.com shows 5 on the roster , UNI is low on 41s n 49s

Last edited:
Reactions: andegre
Isn't transferring from Lehigh to PSU a bit like transferring from Michigan to Ohio State, a bitter rival?

According to the rumors at the time, Cael had a plan, Tom did not. This was frustrating for those that wanted Teske at Iowa because it seemed like Tom wouldn't commit to the idea that he was the man at 133. That and many thought he was a career 125 and we already have a guy there.

I heard it was more about the Teske's and their belief that he was a lifetime 125 and they didn't want to sit behind Spencer. Cael supported the belief that he was a life-time 125 and I think both are going to be proven wrong. I believe the Iowa staff saw Teske at 133 and not 125 and time will tell who was right or wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT