ADVERTISEMENT

Paying back sign on bonuses?

stillh8unlv

HR Legend
Mar 30, 2007
So after a little back and forth negotiating with a former employer over the weekend I decided to take a work from home role with them and leave my current job which I started three months ago.

Had a sign on bonus with the usual verbiage of paying back if they termed me with cause or I quit within the first year.

Now, I've been thoroughly unimpressed with this place (big part of why I'm leaving) and honestly have no intentions of paying this bonus back.

If it comes down to I may actually quit without notice at the end of the next payroll just so they don't try to deduct the bonus from my last check.

This would be the only place in my career that I'm more than likely going to end up leaving on bad terms with over this bonus, and since it was only 3 months I'll never include it on my resume nor will I ever consider going back.

Anyone here fight with a company over this upon your exit? What should I expect when I give them the notice?

So after a little back and forth negotiating with a former employer over the weekend I decided to take a work from home role with them and leave my current job which I started three months ago.

Had a sign on bonus with the usual verbiage of paying back if they termed me with cause or I quit within the first year.

Now, I've been thoroughly unimpressed with this place (big part of why I'm leaving) and honestly have no intentions of paying this bonus back.

If it comes down to I may actually quit without notice at the end of the next payroll just so they don't try to deduct the bonus from my last check.

This would be the only place in my career that I'm more than likely going to end up leaving on bad terms with over this bonus, and since it was only 3 months I'll never include it on my resume nor will I ever consider going back.

Anyone here fight with a company over this upon your exit? What should I expect when I give them the notice?

I could see the company try to claw it back from you, as you were only there 1/4 of the agreed on period of employment. Maybe they only go for 3/4's of it. It just depends on the size of the bonus, maybe it's insignificant. I would definitely try to get it back if I was the company and you left on a bad note. I don't think they have anything to lose.

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
I'm guessing if your share (3/4 of the bonus) is more than the cost of the legal hassle to get it back, you'll get to keep it. Depends how hard they want to fight and how deep their pockets are. A larger company won't likely pursue it.

It was only 5k - I'm hoping it would cost more in any legal action to fight with me over it than what it was worth.

Honestly the company is in a major upheaval at the moment and it's a freaking disaster to work at, so I may very well fight them that the job is in no way shape or form what I signed on for.

Sounds like you made a big mistake, and nobody should judge you for that, just about all of us have picked a wrong company to work for without realizing it at the time of hire. That being said, you did not honor the spirit and intent of the contract you made for getting that bonus and from an ethical standpoint, really should be prepared to have to give it back.

So you didn't live up to your end of the deal and want to F the company? Be an f'ing adult and give back the sign on bonus. This is prime example of people in this country thinking the rules don't apply to them.

It was only 5k - I'm hoping it would cost more in any legal action to fight with me over it than what it was worth.

Honestly the company is in a major upheaval at the moment and it's a freaking disaster to work at, so I may very well fight them that the job is in no way shape or form what I signed on for.

$5K?

I don't think it's worth your time. I would accept whatever they do.

What an excellent display of character. JFC, you are admitting that you owe the money back and just don't want to pay it. Never bet OP in anything, we know he will not pay up.
30 years of rising thru the corporate ranks has made me cynical. As I said, this place is a disaster and not at all what I signed on for - I am very much an old school do what you say, say what you do guy - but this place has really challenged my perception of that for this instance.

30 years of rising thru the corporate ranks has made me cynical. As I said, this place is a disaster and not at all what I signed on for - I am very much an old school do what you say, say what you do guy - but this place has really challenged my perception of that for this instance.
So pay it back and move on.

I’ve never not honored a contract or my word. I’ve also never filed a lawsuit or had a lawsuit or garnishment filed against me.

You’re looking for justification from an online board to not pay back what you now owe someone. Be a man - honor your word/contract.

You should feel free to quit but should pay it back. Deal is a deal.
Give them notice, tell them you’re willing to pay it back and ask how you go about doing that. Decent chance they say don’t worry about it.
This may end up being the road I take, we'll see how it plays out - perhaps they'll agree that the job is a much bigger headache currently due to all the changes occurring and agree to part ways without it.

Reactions: ghost80

See “LIV vs. PGA Tour” and live with your conscience. If the employer asks for his “bonus money” back, per your agreement and you refuse foryour reasons, good luck. If he sues for his money, you would have to understand his point of view.

I’ve never not honored a contract or my word. I’ve also never filed a lawsuit or had a lawsuit or garnishment filed against me.

You’re looking for justification from an online board to not pay back what you now owe someone. Be a man - honor your word/contract.
For all these "honor your word" responses - you have no idea the shit show that is currently occuring around here. They lose people almost daily.
To me that is in the same vein.

Should they not honor their word on the stability of the company, the work culture, etc, etc? Beyond the solid benefits there hasn't been one thing in my tenure that has occurred as expected and sold to me.

No one is expecting you to stay at a company you don't want to work for, but if you agreed to stay for 12 months and failed to do so, the only honorable thing to do would be to return the bonus. The company was nice enough to front the bonus to you, (I've never been given a bonus up front) and you thank them by stiffing them? Is that really the Hawkeye way?

No one is expecting you to stay at a company you don't want to work for, but if you agreed to stay for 12 months and failed to do so, the only honorable thing to do would be to return the bonus. The company was nice enough to front the bonus to you, (I've never been given a bonus up front) and you thank them by stiffing them? Is that really the Hawkeye way?
I hate to agree with you but you got this one right. OP wants us to give him a free pass on making the wrong decision.

Check for a "in no way shape or form what I signed on for" clause in your contract.

Otherwise, pay it back. They hired you and gave you that bonus as a condition you work for them for a pre-determined amount of time.

OTOH, you could just sexually harass/proposition the CEO until they fire you. Then they may not be able to get the bonus back if the decision is theirs. Grab his balls and tell him how hot you are for him.

Reactions: stillh8unlv
a $5k bonus after 30 years in corporate America?
Climbing - I basically started at the bottom - I've gotten 10k before, but nothing overly large. This was also just their cheap way of covering my COBRA coverage instead of just paying my COBRA (which multiple places, including the place I'm moving on to, did).

Check for a "in no way shape or form what I signed on for" clause in your contract.

Otherwise, pay it back. They hired you and gave you that bonus as a condition you work for them for a pre-determined amount of time.

OTOH, you could just sexually harass/proposition the CEO until they fire you. Then they may not be able to get the bonus back if the decision is theirs. Grab his balls and tell him how hot you are for him.
Now this is a solution! That's the HROT I'm looking for - everyone can see the problem, but few are offering real solutions. Thanks Joe!

Now this is a solution! That's the HROT I'm looking for - everyone can see the problem, but few are offering real solutions. Thanks Joe!

Yeah, man....just engage in colossally inappropriate work behavior.
See how far you can take it. Make it a game for the next 2-4 weeks.

Check your contract, but I believe signing bonuses aren't covered if you're fired. If that's the case, bet one of your co-workers $500 "I can get away with X and not get fired"

You might win a round or two, as they try to keep you on w/o eating that signing bonus.

They’re not going to sue you for $5k. They probably won’t even make a real effort to recover it. Just not worth the hassle and not worth triggering a BS claim from the employee.

To me this is about doing what’s right and making good on your promises. Stiffing this company is something Trump would do.

Don’t be a Trump.

Why would that get ugly for him?

You mean when (potentially) the local sheriff comes in to the new office to deliver the documentation?

It would signal to the new employer that you don't have your shit together. Deadbeat dads and folks living at or near the poverty line (paycheck to paycheck) make up a big chunk of garnishment cases. OP can explain that he's neither of these, just a guy who doesn't want to honor the contract terms of a signing bonus at his old place of employment, where he toiled for 3 months. The time there that probably wasn't on his resume

Honestly, the best case is that the old company doesn't deem the money, worthwhile, to go after.

Reactions: bhawk24bob
Did they take out a PPP loan to cover this $5k bonus and then have that debt cancelled by the government? That's the only way that you might get some people to join you on your side of this.

Besides that, you're absolutely in the wrong if you made an agreement and want to break the agreement without following the penalty associated with breaking it.

Also keep in mind, unless you are planning on this move back to your previous employer being your last move, you may not want to muddy the waters of your reputation out in the pool of prospective employers. Your professional honor and reputation are probably not worth $5k pre-tax unless you're planning on retiring soon.

What are you going to do about the three month gap on your resume?

They’re not going to sue you for $5k. They probably won’t even make a real effort to recover it. Just not worth the hassle and not worth triggering a BS claim from the employee.

To me this is about doing what’s right and making good on your promises. Stiffing this company is something Trump would do.

Don’t be a Trump.
This might be the best advice right here ....never want to be associated with that POS....

however, Abby said to pay it back as well and he loves Trump.....such a conundrum

You mean when (potentially) the local sheriff comes in to the new office to deliver the documentation?

It would signal to the new employer that you don't have your shit together. Deadbeat dads and folks living at or near the poverty line (paycheck to paycheck) make up a big chunk of garnishment cases. OP can explain that he's neither of these, just a guy who doesn't want to honor the contract terms of a signing bonus at his old place of employment, where he toiled for 3 months. The time there that probably wasn't on his resume

Honestly, the best case is that the old company doesn't deem the money, worthwhile, to go after.
Doesn't work that way these days for us, we get them on the regular they come in the mail and none of your co-workers have any idea that you have wages being garnished.

Reactions: VodkaSam
For all these "honor your word" responses - you have no idea the shit show that is currently occuring around here. They lose people almost daily.
To me that is in the same vein.

Should they not honor their word on the stability of the company, the work culture, etc, etc? Beyond the solid benefits there hasn't been one thing in my tenure that has occurred as expected and sold to me.
Be like Trump then. Don‘t pay back what you contractually owe. You asked and now you’re not liking what you’re hearing.

Thank you all good and honorable citizens of HROT - maybe you aren't all low life sexual degenerates after all.

In a effort to distance myself from anything resembling something Trump would do, I will resign and let the chips fall where they may with the sign on bonus payback

Reactions: cfbfan23
Doesn't work that way these days for us, we get them on the regular they come in the mail and none of your co-workers have any idea that you have wages being garnished.

I did not know that. Hopefully, HR at the new company is tight-lipped about it.

We had the sheriff's office had deliver us garnishment papers for one of our employees. This was probably 6 or 7 years ago. It was the second time it happened to her (failure to pay rent). Not a good look.

Reactions: beanerhawk
Quit and don't worry about it. If they want the money back they will let you know when you quit. It may be worth it at that point for you to pay it back.

Don't hold yourself to some moral code that the company doesn't follow. People get way to caught up in that bullshit bit I promise you corporate does not have a moral code that will honor and look out for you really anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT