ADVERTISEMENT

PC article on Patrick McCaffery's summer

paladinhawk

HR Legend
Feb 4, 2004
I haven't seen this discussed, so with the summer doldrums:

...McCaffery mainly plays point guard, shooting guard and small forward along with Wahl.

D1Minnesota coach Jay Fuhrmann said the versatility McCaffery is developing while playing with elite midwestern recruits will prepare him for more minutes at small forward, the position he believes McCaffery will primarily play in college.

"At the collegiate level, he could guard a 1 through a 4 and still be able to defend a 5 depending on the team," Fuhrmann said. "He knows angles so well. You can tell he’s a coach’s son. He knows angles and he gets his wingspan out there. He’s just so intelligent as a defender. His defense is underrated — whether it’s on-ball or coming from the help side to block a shot."

Playing more on the wing means McCaffery will have to knock down more 3-pointers, and he knows it. He said his long-range shot has been one of his main focuses this offseason — along with the consistent No. 1 goal of bulking up. (He’s up to 180 pounds now, by the way.)

I guess we'll see this winter if he's been able to improve his 3 point %

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...tlight-fran-mccaffery-keion-brooks/733067002/

Zeke Nnaji is who I really hope Iowa can land to go along with Patrick in 2019 class. Should Tyler Cook go pro after next season which is likely, Zeke would be a great replacement for Cook at PF

Reactions: easy2 and perryhawk
HILARIOUS!

I assume he plans to leave for the NBA lottery after his freshman year being able to guard point guards at 6'9" and all?

Yeah that coach was obviously blowing some smoke up someone's arse. Patrick won't be able to guard most 3s in college. Definitely not 1s or 2s... He may well end up a tweener if he can't gain any weight. And we are talking at least 40lbs here. THAT is an issue.... Unless he is an amazing offensive specimen, which he is not at this time, it would be foolish to not redshirt and build strength.

Reactions: hawkhorn
When did he start growing and put on that kind of weight? He was 6-8 and about 180 when I saw him play several months ago.

Can’t wait for all these white guys to take Iowa deep into the NCAA tournament.

Facts are facts, you need athletes that can get up and down court and defend.

I saw his kid play in Wells Fargo, he needs to gain 50 pounds or go to Missouri Valley where he would only need to gain 40.

This is DI basketball, he is going to get banged around by guys that lift weights and are big.

I wouldn’t expect much from him until he is a redshirt sophomore.

Last edited:
Can’t wait for all these white guys to take Iowa deep into the NCAA tournament.

Facts are facts, you need athletes that can get up and down court and defend.

I saw his kid play in Wells Fargo, he needs to gain 50 pounds or go to Missouri Valley where he would only need to gain 40.

This is DI basketball, he is going to get banged around by guys that lift weights and are big.

I wouldn’t expect much from him until he is a redshirt sophomore.

You actually edited this and went back and made the post even shittier. Nice work.

Last game I watched Mccaffery play was against Bishop Miege in Quincy Il.. And he was manhandled by Jeremiah Robinson Earl . Mccaffery was a two steps slower than both of their forwards and. Overmatched physically by them. IIRC west lost by 25

Last game I watched Mccaffery play was against Bishop Miege in Quincy Il.. And he was manhandled by Jeremiah Robinson Earl . Mccaffery was a two steps slower than both of their forwards and. Overmatched physically by them. IIRC west lost by 25

Oh you mean Patrick and his team had trouble with the #9 recruit in the country according to Rivals, who is 6"9" and 235 lbs, who woulda thunk it.

Patrick will be just fine but he's not a post player and probably would struggle with most anyone that has 50+ lbs on him unless he can solely use his reach as an advantage against shorter players.

I'm not convinced he can't guard the 3 as some are indicating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT