ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
As much as it pains me to say it, they look really good this year. Their defensive front 7 is crazy good amd King loiks like an AA at defensive back.

I don't see many weaknesses in the offense either.

To compound that, the Hawks have to play in a friggin white out.

D we have a chance?

Our O-line and passing game will be tested. We will need mistake free play on that side of the ball. We will really miss Lachey and posdibly KJ/Jaz.

Our defense can't give up QB bootlegs and big pass plays like we did against WMU. We need to contain their two good RB's, especially the flare pass. They do have big play WR's. The key is pressure on Allar and getting a couple TO's.

Hope we can keep it close going into the fourth quarter, giving us a chance to win.

Go Hawks!

Yesterday I watched the replay of the 2018 game where either team could've blown it open but didn't so it ended up close. You never know so I just wait and see.

On Saturday PSU played ok and won going away. They clean up a little and that game goes much easier for them. This is a new week, IMO Iowa is always prepared, so we will see.

Last edited:
As much as it pains me to say it, they look really good this year. Their defensive front 7 is crazy good amd King loiks like an AA at defensive back.

I don't see many weaknesses in the offense either.

To compound that, the Hawks have to play in a friggin white out.

D we have a chance?

Our O-line and passing game will be tested. We will need mistake free play on that side of the ball. We will really miss Lachey and posdibly KJ/Jaz.

Our defense can't give up QB bootlegs and big pass plays like we did against WMU. We need to contain their two good RB's, especially the flare pass. They do have big play WR's. The key is pressure on Allar and getting a couple TO's.

Hope we can keep it close going into the fourth quarter, giving us a chance to win.

Go Hawks!
Seems like everytime we play there its a primetime game with a whiteout. Cade has to play much better than he has for us to have a chance. We got to create turnovers and keep their crowd out of it.

Reading all the doom and gloom we probably should just forfeit the game. I mean how will we ever beat PSU?
Ferentz is 10-8 against them. He must have gotten lucky 10 times to such a superior program.
How did we beat them Lin 2021? It must have been a miracle because we had one of the worst offenses in the country! We have a bunch of 2 & 3 star guys with no talent!
GTFO with your negative dribble!
Easy bet take Iowa and the 14 points!

We could show you the last 2 meetings if you're looking for something more current?
I do remember watching them lol. Fans like this what happened prior stuff on all sides but what matters is Saturday. Iowa is normally well prepared and doesn't make stupid mistakes, giving them a shot to stay in any game. As I said in 2018 both teams had an opportunity to put the other team away and didn't. iowa earlier and PSU later.

It's why I have rules, to bust your balls I'll link the 1994 game:

Even though I'm saying I'm busting your balls, I'm just illustrating PSU was up by 42 after 16 minutes. guess what? I assume the other team can do the same. Might not be likely but I've seen PSU score 35 points in 8.5 minutes against Tennessee in the Fiesta Bowl in 1992. I also saw them score 56 in one half against Illinois in 2005.

So I don't kick back and assume a win until my team is up by 35 with under 8 to go. I'm serious. I can also go back and find both Purdue and Iowa beating a highly ranked OSU team quite recently, I'm sure you remember them.

My thoughts are PSU wins relatively easily and pulls away but it only looks that way in retrospect. Everyone wants that rocking chair game, few quality opponents are polite enough to do a fan that favor lol.

Reading all the doom and gloom we probably should just forfeit the game. I mean how will we ever beat PSU?
Ferentz is 10-8 against them. He must have gotten lucky 10 times to such a superior program.
How did we beat them last year? It must have been a miracle because we had the worst offense in the country! We have a bunch of 2 & 3 star guys with no talent!
Don't bet on sports, there's a reason the house always wins.

I do remember watching them lol. Fans like this what happened prior stuff on all sides but what matters is Saturday. Iowa is normally well prepared and doesn't make stupid mistakes, giving them a shot to stay in any game. As I said in 2018 both teams had an opportunity to put the other team away and didn't. iowa earlier and PSU later.

It's why I have rules, to bust your balls I'll link the 1994 game:

Even though I'm saying I'm busting your balls, I'm just illustrating PSU was up by 42 after 16 minutes. guess what? I assume the other team can do the same. Might not be likely but I've seen PSU score 35 points in 8.5 minutes against Tennessee in the Fiesta Bowl in 1992. I also saw them score 56 in one half against Illinois in 2005.

So I don't kick back and assume a win until my team is up by 35 with under 8 to go. I'm serious. I can also go back and find both Purdue and Iowa beating a highly ranked OSU team quite recently, I'm sure you remember them.

My thoughts are PSU wins relatively easily and pulls away but it only looks that way in retrospect. Everyone wants that rocking chair game, few quality opponents are polite enough to do a fan that favor lol.
Well let's hope for a competitive game with no injures. Fake or otherwise 🙂.

How did we beat them Lin 2021? It must have been a miracle because we had one of the worst offenses in the country! We have a bunch of 2 & 3 star guys with no talent!

I mean since you asked, the starting QB got injured in the first half and they had no backup after Levis transferred so they had a QB who couldn't even get a snap off for most of the game.

Gosh, Iowa at Happy Valley in a white-out against a top-ten team, what will we ever do?

Never mind that that team had a competent O-line and at least a semi-competent OC.

Apples and oranges.

Don’t get me wrong — I’d love to eat crow on Sunday and be proven dead wrong. I just haven’t seen any basis for reasonably expecting Iowa to be competitive in this game.

Both the offense and the defense will have to play the best game they have all year. Defense hasnt looked as sharp at times this year, but Phil keeps finding the right adjustments. So if the O can help out, anything can happen!

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Ok, not the take I had at all when I had to unfortunate visit to Illinois with my daughter over the weekend. Fun to be with my daughter but would rather be at Iowa.

I watched the whole game in person and I came away not very impressed with Penn State at all. Very beatable!

The Illinois QB gave the game to PSU. He never looked off a receiver and threw 3 picks in the first half and they had 1 fumble! The score was 16-7 at half with 4 first half turnovers by Illinois. Illinois outgained PSU by the end of the 3rd quarter 226-222 and the score was 23-7 due to 5 turnovers by then. The Illinois QB locked in on a receiver and PSU took advantage.

All of the ILLINI fans I sat around where not happy their QB gave the game away. The sediment as everyone left was take away the 5 turnovers and a missed field goal and Illinois wins that game. Illinois ran on them and passed ok when their QB wasn't forcing it.

I was not impressed with with Drew Allar. After hearing all the hype I was preparing to see a great QB at work. I would say mediocre at best. Missed a couple wide open receivers and his only big passing plays where to his RB out of the backfield.

If we tackle and take care of the ball we win this game by 7.

I mean since you asked, the starting QB got injured in the first half and they had no backup after Levis transferred so they had a QB who couldn't even get a snap off for most of the game.
Sounds like you’re making excuses! Don’t they get 4 & 5 star players?
Maybe we should have given them Petras!

Ok, not the take I had at all when I had to unfortunate visit to Illinois with my daughter over the weekend. Fun to be with my daughter but would rather be at Iowa.

I watched the whole game in person and I came away not very impressed with Penn State at all. Very beatable!

The Illinois QB gave the game to PSU. He never looked off a receiver and threw 3 picks in the first half and they had 1 fumble! The score was 16-7 at half with 4 first half turnovers by Illinois. Illinois outgained PSU by the end of the 3rd quarter 226-222 and the score was 23-7 due to 5 turnovers by then. The Illinois QB locked in on a receiver and PSU took advantage.

All of the ILLINI fans I sat around where not happy their QB gave the game away. The sediment as everyone left was take away the 5 turnovers and a missed field goal and Illinois wins that game. Illinois ran on them and passed ok when their QB wasn't forcing it.

I was not impressed with with Drew Allar. After hearing all the hype I was preparing to see a great QB at work. I would say mediocre at best. Missed a couple wide open receivers and his only big passing plays where to his RB out of the backfield.

I can live with that sediment. Hope you’re right.

if Penn State wins, i'm thinking it's because their team is better, not so much because the fans are all wearing white. Road games are tougher than home games, sure, but I've been at Iowa games where we had striped sections and all yellow or black, and it didn't seem to push the team over the edge when needing a 3rd down stop. i suppose it looks cool on tv.

Last edited:
Yeah. There is a reason the spread is 14 points, but that's still a big spread against a high quality defense. If (and that's a big if) Iowa can run the ball with any proficiency they've got a puncher's chance in this one. If they can't, then it's probably a long night.

Reactions: PNWHawk
if Penn State wins, i'm thinking it's because their team is better, not so much because the fans are all wearing white. Road games are tougher than home games, sure, but I've been at Iowa games where we had striped sections and all yellow or black, and it didn't seem to push the team over the edge when needing a 3rd down stop. i suppose it looks cool on tv.
It's more a fan hype thing, I don't think it affects a disciplined visiting team. Noise is more of a problem.

Good defenses create turnovers and they are a part of the game. Last year Illinois was pretty good at creating TOs and while their D is pretty good, they're not like last year and it seems they are not creating TOs.

Reactions: Bruceman44
Good defenses create turnovers and they are a part of the game. Last year Illinois was pretty good at creating TOs and while their D is pretty good, they're not like last year and it seems they are not creating TOs.
Yeah. Iowa has the most interceptions in FBS over the past decade so most Iowa fans understand that.

Right. the only reason i brought it up is because of all the posts that have to mention "and it's a white out!" as if it's crazier than a sellout of a mix of blue and white.
Check the PSU records for white out, it's ok. Why? They're picking high quality teams in night games to hold a white out. Well if you're taking the best night game opponent to hold a white out, chances are you might lose lol.

As a PSU guy I hate white outs, first it's hard to get BBQ sauce, mustard, or ketchup stains out of my white shirt, second, if It's cold or rainy it's a pain to dress for it. I mean who buys a white winter coat?

Last edited:
If you look at Penn State's adjusted offensive rating, it is not good. In the bottom 25% of college football actually.

Reactions: pmtdc
Just saying. In another White Out. We had a blocked punt scoop and score. We ruined their season.

I’m not expecting a win personally, but we could also see some players step up and make a great game of it.

A chance. But just a sliver.

Things probably have to play out about as well as they did when we beat the Buckeyes ten years ago or, whenever that was back in the day, when we could kinda sorta pass the ball.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF
That’s all we need is a chance.😳

• Haha
Reactions: cleotishaywood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT