ADVERTISEMENT

Pew pew pew, KC Chiefs Super Bowl parade

You are telling yourself all this because it's easier to blame a gun owner than acknowledge someone had to steal and someone still had to point the firearm and pull the trigger. I gave you my example as a gun owner.
Where have i not acknowledged someone stealing, pointing the firearm and pulling the trigger?

Ffs, ive never said the legal gun owner is the only one that bears responsibility, but should have some accountability for their firearms getting in the hands of people who shouldnt have them. I think i have even said in other threads (perhaps if i recall even with @alaskanseminole )that i considered safes that you described as secure.

Yet you want to come up with far fetched scenarios on how the person who stole the gun was able to take two hours or required 6 people to move your safe out of the how to access your secured gun.

Keep living scared, homey. Hug your guns tight

You live in fear because you think everybody is out to get you and break into your home.

Good neighbors would call authorities if they heard or noticed someone in your house for a couple hours.
I've been on both sides of this. My break-in (told that one already) and when I went across the street to check on a neighbor's house who wasn't home (someone had knocked over a decorative light poll near his driveway). I found that his door had been kicked in and he was robbed blind. He was a U.S. Air Marshall on duty. I called 911 and handled the police report for him. There were signs the burglars were returning for a second load.
You live in a shithole if you are worried about someone being able to come into your home, spend two hours trying to break into your space and none of the neighbors heard or saw nothing (or worse, did see or hear something and couldnt be bothered to call the authorities)

Given the choice of you fearing everybody and me feeling safe, i think i have been doing just fine without feeling the need to own a gun.
Why does it have to be a $hithole to have crime? I've never lived in a $hithole and have experienced crime pretty much everywhere but my 4-years in San Angelo. I had both my vehicles broken into while stationed in Alaska. I had my home broken into and my garage burglarized 2x at my first home in San Antonio and I've had my vehicle broken into 1x at my new house and unsuccessfully a second time. I live in a gated community that has mobile security on patrol 24/7.

Criminals don't want to break into $hithole homes. There's nothing of value in them.

Also, I don't live in fear, but I am adequately prepared. I'm also prepared for a power outage--emergency lights, candles, water, etc., but I don't live in fear of one.

I realize you're talking to Whiskey and he's more obstinate than me, but just giving you some additional perspective.

Reactions: Chuck C and goldmom
I realize you're talking to Whiskey and he's more obstinate than me, but just giving you some additional perspective.

Yeah, i have had cars broken into on a few occasions. Nothing that made me consider purchasing a gun for. My sister has had her garage (detached) broken into before, and doesnt feel the need to have a gun). I have not seen such an irrational fear of my house getting broken into like what Whiskey displays

whiskey falls into one or more of these scenarios:
1) lives in an absolute shithole
2) he doesnt get along with his neighbors
3) must piss a lot of people off who might try to target his home

I guess the thought of someone breaking into my place to clean out my possessions isn’t enough to get me to want to own a gun (although i would almost find it freeing if all my possessions were wiped out in a fire or a natural disaster, where i can sinplify my life). If i lived in fear of being in a home invasion, i would seriously consider moving

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Yeah, i have had cars broken into on a few occasions. Nothing that made me consider purchasing a gun for. My sister has had her garage (detached) broken into before, and doesnt feel the need to have a gun). I have not seen such an irrational fear of my house getting broken into like what Whiskey displays

I guess the thought of someone breaking into my place to clean out my possessions isn’t enough to get me to want to own a gun (although i would almost find it freeing if all my possessions were wiped out in a fire or a natural disaster, where i can sinplify my life). If i lived in fear of being in a home invasion, i would seriously consider moving
Nothing I've said yo you is an irrational fear of getting my home broke into, you are going down that path since I pointed out that even the best of safes can be broken into.

Nothing I've said yo you is an irrational fear of getting my home broke into, you are going down that path since I pointed out that even the best of safes can be broken into.
Hell, ive already admitted in threads prior to this one that i would consider your safes similar to your secure.

Im not the one throwing out scenarios that someone breaking into my home would have two hours to be able to open it or would require 6 people to haul it out, or that i have shitty neighbors who would do nothing had they noticed my home was broken into.

Gun companies need to create better technology. If a gun is pointed at a human being; it should be able to detect that it’s a person and misfire.

A table saw that has a blade spinning around quickly is able to detect a persons finger and kill the blade before chopping the persons finger off, why can’t a gun detect a human.
No gun should be needed for killing another human.

Make the new guns, have people turn in old guns and if you don’t turn in the old gun and are caught with it, that gun is used to shoot said person.
The only people with a real gun are police to defend against people that still have old guns.

• Haha
Reactions: Scruddy

Motivation for gun ownership is certainly a valid topic. I know exactly why I have each gun in my home and the motivations for each and they are all tied to, what I believe, are sensible reasonings.

20 Gauge Shotgun: My first gun bought for me by my Papaw I think when I was around 12. It holds sentimental value as I have very fond memories bird hunting with him as a kid.
30/30 Rifle: Confiscated from my father. It's the gun he used to hunt with when I was a kid and holds sentimental value. My Papaw also bought me a 30/30 a few years after the 20 guage, but I pawned it at 19 when I was broke.
9mm Handgun: Bought for home protection after our garage was burglarized the 2nd time. Came in handy a few years later when our home was broken into. We moved to a new area not long after. I was still on active duty at the time and this gun was similar to the one I was trained on for deployments.
-------------
Confiscated firearms from my FIL who has dementia prior to him moving to a VA nursing home.
45 Cal S&W: FIL's home defense gun. It's the one he and I would go to the range and fire together.
WW2 Pocket Pistol: Collector's item
.22 Rifle: FIL's first gun purchase as a teen. He asked that I give it to his grandson and teach him to shoot with it.
.22 Rifle: Also FIL's, but it was his dad's first gun.
*Note: My FIL had a dozen or more guns as he was a very active hunter/fisherman. I sold the ones he didn't specifically ask me to keep in the family.

All of the guns above are in my long-gun safe along with their ammo except for the 9mm which we've discussed. I think growing up around guns and using them in the military have just made them part of my life...a tool as I've said before. I don't really think about them and rarely interact with them. I do realize others, conversely, live for their guns. Heck, I live just a few short miles from the National Shooting Complex.

The vast majority of these folks aren't the issue, though:
200w.gif

and I would agree (with Whiskey) that this type of gun use is a much greater issue:
C9cW.gif

But not to the point where I have a "do nothing" stance.

Last edited:
Reactions: auntie_fah
Yeah, i have had cars broken into on a few occasions. Nothing that made me consider purchasing a gun for. My sister has had her garage (detached) broken into before, and doesnt feel the need to have a gun). I have not seen such an irrational fear of my house getting broken into like what Whiskey displays.
As a follow-up, let me just say a lot of people use the I'll beat 'em up with a baseball bat defense to not owning a gun. Unfortunately, as a 50-yo disabled vet, my days of "duking it out" are long behind me. I'm not sure if I could live with myself if I wasn't able to protect my family and something tragic happened to one of them.

That said...

No, I do not think about this often (if ever). Typically only on this forum.
No, I don't live in fear.
No, I do not think the odds are in my favor this (a home invasion) happens twice. (however, one of the KC parade survivors said this was her 2nd mass shooting survival)
No, I wouldn't shoot someone over breaking into my car.

Reactions: goldmom
The democrats gave the shooters bail. Because they care so much about gun violence and all.

Gun companies need to create better technology. If a gun is pointed at a human being; it should be able to detect that it’s a person and misfire.

A table saw that has a blade spinning around quickly is able to detect a persons finger and kill the blade before chopping the persons finger off, why can’t a gun detect a human.
No gun should be needed for killing another human.

Make the new guns, have people turn in old guns and if you don’t turn in the old gun and are caught with it, that gun is used to shoot said person.
The only people with a real gun are police to defend against people that still have old guns.
Hahahahaahahaha

Yes. I saw nothing about significant prison terms for those committing crimes with a firearm or responsibility to secure firearms.

I have no problem with what you proposed but it's not enough. If that's all we can get at this point, fine. I'll take it. But we can't even get that. It won't even be considered because your gun loving brethren will not accept reasonable gun restrictions.
I just got a response from Ted Cruz (or at least his staff) regarding the letter I sent:

ADKq_NYLB5Hqwgc8zRguRs9-AkjJLdLuY9OciKV4LrsZJq0iUZUxensZXqQmTAjD5HNHx0TUqtg6IJbinSajXyRT0vGiiyJjeWOXEQtuNkFahhztZohfip5wqx4sW_DC=s0-d-e1-ft
March 22, 2024
Dear Mr. _____________,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun violence and the Second Amendment. Input from fellow Texans significantly informs my decision-making and empowers me to better represent our state.

I care deeply about protecting our communities and stopping violent crime, and gun crime in particular. I have dedicated much of my adult life in law enforcement trying to stop violent criminals who prey upon the innocent and working to ensure that violent criminals receive the most stringent punishment.

As you may be aware, on June 22, 2022, I, together with my colleague Senator John Barrasso of Wyoming, introduced the Safe Kids, Safe Schools, Safe Communities Act as an amendment to S. 2938 (SA 5121). Our legislation sought to make schools and our communities safer by focusing on intervention before violence occurs, including by increasing the number of properly trained school resource officers on campus who can deter and, if necessary, stop school shooters, increasing the number of school mental health professionals who can identify at-risk children and ensure those kids get the help they need before they become violent, and providing funding to improve physical security measures for schools.

In addition, our legislation also focused on curbing gun violence by improving the National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS) system that is used by federal firearms licensees to run background checks on firearms purchasers, prioritizing law enforcement, focusing criminal prosecutions on persons who attempt to illegally buy guns, and expanding Project Exile to more effectively prosecute those who commit violent crimes with a firearm. I believe these common sense steps are things that the left and right should be able to agree on.

As a member of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, I am working very hard to keep our communities safe and prevent violent crime, including gun-related crime, while also ensuring we protect the rights of law-abiding citizens. Rest assured, should issues related to gun violence or the Second Amendment come before the Judiciary Committee or the full Senate, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Thank you again for sharing your views with me. Please feel free to contact me in the future about any issue important to you or your family. It is an honor to serve you and the people of Texas.

For Liberty,
ADKq_Na0th3MGMu_cpvRhFVronpQyQJ9yiClPCD-nvPbAxdCH63LkJ3SXqEMLtZpTTrEVgYvPs41kWmfbMIjSZh1-MMikwxEXTQGg8C8g6P4g_4lW-A0sLgTnw-Y5snL=s0-d-e1-ft

Ted Cruz
United States Senator

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT