ADVERTISEMENT

PHIL PARKER NAMED BROYLES SEMIFINALIST

F_9ZLZIWwAAmtHx

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Ol' Doodle would love to see PP finally win this well-deserved recognition. But...
  • It's Moore's award to lose, especially after he added "temp HC" duties multiple times.
  • Next is Denbrock and Stein because they have Heisman finalists under their tutelage.
  • Then Bobo because....Georgia.
  • Finally PP, who is the sole reason anyone even bothers including the word "engine" when referring to Iowa Football as the "Little Engine that Could".
Besides, if awards shows have taught us nothing else, it's that it's an honor just to be nominated.

joey-friends.gif

• Haha
Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Ol' Doodle would love to see PP finally win this well-deserved recognition. But...
  • It's Moore's award to lose, especially after he added "temp HC" duties multiple times.
  • Next is Denbrock and Stein because they have Heisman finalists under their tutelage.
  • Finally PP, who is the sole reason anyone even bothers including the word "engine" when referring to Iowa Football as the "Little Engine that Could".
Besides, if awards shows have taught us nothing else, it's that it's an honor just to be nominated.

joey-friends.gif
Unfortunately, I believe you’re correct.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
How he hasn't won this award confuses and frightens me. I can't imagine how the Hawks would completely suck if Parker was not here. It also worries me every year with the possibility that someone would "make a deal he couldn't refuse."
Cause he has toiled at Iowa instead of going to Georgia or Alabama or Ohio State or Michigan or Texas.

joey-friends.gif
Moore really did not know what Stalions was doing, huh? I find that very very hard to believe.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

joey-friends.gif
Because Moore was elevated from assistant to a position of temp HC he should be disqualified. 😎

He would get my vote of temp HC of the year.

joey-friends.gif
You probably aren't wrong but there is a lot of national press rooting for Phil to get it. They recognize he is the reason Iowa is even above .500 this season, much less winning 10 games. Even ESPN, who has gone out of their way to just not talk about anything in the Big 10 this year outside of Michigan and OSU's playoff position, has talked quite a bit about his accomplishments. I would say the momentum is with Phil to get it. I don't know how the winner is determined but if it is the press members that do it I think he actually stands a pretty good shot at getting the award.

You probably aren't wrong but there is a lot of national press rooting for Phil to get it. They recognize he is the reason Iowa is even above .500 this season, much less winning 10 games. Even ESPN, who has gone out of their way to just not talk about anything in the Big 10 this year outside of Michigan and OSU's playoff position, has talked quite a bit about his accomplishments. I would say the momentum is with Phil to get it. I don't know how the winner is determined but if it is the press members that do it I think he actually stands a pretty good shot at getting the award.
Doodle definitely hopes you're right!

joey-friends.gif
It's definitely an honor to be nominated. And, he probably won't get it,

But, sometimes these awards for coaches turn into "career achievement" awards. If it happens here he would be a shoe-in.

Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo
All coaches with 5 and 4* starers and backups.

One guy with multiple starters who were walkons to 3* guys (two? 4*s) with backups that were all 2 and 3* guys.

If this award is about who is most valuable to their team, it's Parker. As eluded to, we would not be bowl eligible without a guy like Phil.

• Love
Reactions: kegan and shudaddy
JFC. Not surprising the other finalists. Even I would look good as OC for those 4 offenses, with all that talent, which all have very good units on the other side of the ball. What PP has done this season is nothing short of miraculous. Iowa is a 4-6 win team without him; those other teams don’t skip a beat if Joe Schmo replaces those other nominees. If he doesn’t win this award, they need to get rid of it.

Reactions: Moral and shudaddy
He should win it but probably won't for various reasons mentioned above.

Doesn't matter to me, I think he's the best damn DC in the country. I hold him in the same regard as Norm and I loved Norm! We all know he's the best in the business regardless of whether he wins this or not.

Still, it'd be nice for him to win it as he deserves it. I hope he does.

Reactions: Moral
Chris Childers on full ride said this morning he is voting for pp Nuehiesel said he went in a different direction.

Dear George,
Thank you for the shout out. Moore has done well but when you throw in the years of consistency Parker deserves the look. With you calling this out it also balances out the noise from talking heads. I do respect Joel Klatt’s work but perspective requires balance and his comments could sway the vote.

No Iowa coach has ever won the Broyles. Norm was a finalist in 2004 & 2005. Phil was a semi finalist in 2021.

Ron Aiken won a similar award in 2002 from the AFCA.

So is this like the Heisman where only offense guys can win it?

Not always. But it does favor winning blue bloods. In order...

TCU
Michigan
Texas
LSU
Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Michigan St.
Notre Dame
LSU
Auburn
Alabama
tOSU
VTech
Texas ( Greg Davis)
Auburn
Georgia
USC
Miami
Oklahoma
Georgia Tech
Tennessee
Michigan
FSU

Reactions: Moral
I usually respect Klatt's perspectives but JFC. Yeah, let's reward a guy who coaches for a program where even I could bring in loads of 4- and 5-star recruits, whose defense is probably better than his unit, and who had to fill in for a twice-suspended head coach because the program has cheated on and off the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT