ADVERTISEMENT

So do you really want to blow this whole thing up?

vacuum_cleaner

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2004
Zero percent chance Kirk returns next year with Brian booted out. Simply not happening. If you can find odds on Will Kirk Ferentz be Iowa's coach in 2024....bet your life savings on no.

If Kirk's gone, there's about a 1% chance Phil Parker returns. He has no desire to coach for someone else. Very loyal to Kirk. Came here in '99. THere's a reason Phil has turned down opportunities that would make your head spin...and it aint because he loves Iowa City. It's cuz he loves KF.

So for all these people saying, keep Phil, bring on a new O coordinator, and win a natty!....sorry, that ain't happening.

The past few years haven't been perfect. They've been maddening at times. But hawks have also won a couple bowls, division titles, had more consistent success than 90% of the teams out there. WIth KF, the good outweighs the bad (for most).

So do you really want to blow this thing up? Bc that's what's gonna happen with Brian being let go.

Seems pretty risky to me.

Zero percent chance Kirk returns next year with Brian booted out. Simply not happening. If you can find odds on Will Kirk Ferentz be Iowa's coach in 2024....bet your life savings on no.

If Kirk's gone, there's about a 1% chance Phil Parker returns. He has no desire to coach for someone else. Very loyal to Kirk. Came here in '99. THere's a reason Phil has turned down opportunities that would make your head spin...and it aint because he loves Iowa City. It's cuz he loves KF.

So for all these people saying, keep Phil, bring on a new O coordinator, and win a natty!....sorry, that ain't happening.

The past few years haven't been perfect. They've been maddening at times. But hawks have also won a couple bowls, division titles, had more consistent success than 90% of the teams out there. WIth KF, the good outweighs the bad (for most).

So do you really want to blow this thing up? Bc that's what's gonna happen with Brian being let go.

If it meant keeping Brian as offensive coordinator, then by all means burn it down.

Yes, it has to happen at some point in the next few years given Ferentz's age. So, the sooner Iowa moves on the better for rebuilding the program before Ferentz completely buries it nationally.

Do we really have any say now anyway? This is already in motion or am I wrong?

Are you thinking of a letter writing campaign to keep Brian?

I was convinced that BF would announce he was leaving toward the end of the year rather than be a distraction. But this is better - protects recruiting and holds down any talent on offense from transferring.

I don't want KF to retire or Parker to leave. But it can't continue with BF as the OC from both a results and an optics standpoint.

Reactions: hawkdave007
I think Phil stays depending on t he HC hire... They land a fish like Stoops, i think Phil says why the hell not... They land some one way removed from the program, he walks. And I think the HC pitch to Phil is " While I appreciate you being the cup bearer for all these years, I want to take some of the pressure off and give you some wiggle room."

Looks like it to me.

Reactions: artradley
Some day he will not be coaching Iowa. This won’t last forever. Change eventually comes. Also, what eventually is coming is USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon. Approaching very fast and we are not ready for it. Something needed to happen and I’m glad Beth is here to get the ball rolling so to speak.

I think Phil stays depending on t he HC hire... They land a fish like Stoops, i think Phil says why the hell not... They land some one way removed from the program, he walks. And I think the HC pitch to Phil is " While I appreciate you being the cup bearer for all these years, I want to take some of the pressure off and give you some wiggle room."

How many times has a head coach come into a program and left part of the existing staff intact? Keeping Parker would be sweet, but I've never heard of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hendy hawk
I was convinced that BF would announce he was leaving toward the end of the year rather than be a distraction. But this is better - protects recruiting and holds down any talent on offense from transferring.

I don't want KF to retire or Parker to leave. But it can't continue with BF as the OC from both a results and an optics standpoint.
Depending on who you ask this was exactly the plan, and the leaks forced them to announce.

We do know that BF definitely planned on leaving after last season, but the lawsuit ended up being a bigger factor than anyone anticipated.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus

Change is inevitable, don't fear it.

A decade ago the damage (performance, depth, recruiting, prestige) to the offense these past two years would take a long time to dig out out of. You can change things a lot faster with the portal, if you are willing to swing for the fences and take chances.

How many times has a head coach come into a program and left part of the intact? Keeping Parker would be sweet, but I've never heard of it.
If the new coach is an offensive guy why would he want to replace Phil, if Phil wants to stay, who constantly has a top 10 defense in various metrics including the most important one which is points allowed. A head coach who has been on the offensive side of the ball does not want to make a DC hire and eliminate Phil, aknown top DC

Phil is 60, and amazingly he makes a lot less than Brian, but I could see Phil wanting to coach 3 to 7 more years and groom his successor is the Way Phil does IT.

How many times has a head coach come into a program and left part of the intact? Keeping Parker would be sweet, but I've never heard of it.
You are not wrong... as a fan, i would question any coaching hire that came in and asked Phil to leave.... Hell, I thought it was the height of stupidity for Fickell not retain Leonard... but i get it, you want "your guys".

Brian has to go. PERIOD. If KF can't deal with that and leaves, that's on him. Not us. He's the one that made BF the OC and QB coach and created this whole mess.

Let the chips fall where they will.

And... Maybe the next guy will have success also?

Last edited:

I'm with you on this, brother. All of these idiots who think that an offense should score points are idiots.

Kirk needs to go. People who say Kirk should go out on his terms. I say F U. Nobody at any position has a right to go out on their own in a public job. Go get a private sector job then. Using Brian's own words whats the upside of keeping Kirk?with the conference changes coming. I have yet to hear one iowa writer say iowa can compete in the new league with Kirk as coach. So why keep him?

In an interview, Phil said he was open to taking a HC position "if the right opportunity arose." I don't know what that would be, but it definitely means being KF's DC isn't the only place he wants to be.

Coach Parker loves the challenges that having a horrible offense create for him every week. In fact, he prefers it that way.

If the new coach is an offensive guy why would he want to replace Phil, if Phil wants to stay, who constantly has a top 10 defense in various metrics including the most important one which is points allowed. A head coach who has been on the offensive side of the ball does not want to make a DC hire and eliminate Phil, aknown top DC

Phil is 60, and amazingly he makes a lot less than Brian, but I could see Phil wanting to coach 3 to 7 more years and groom his successor is the Way Phil does IT.

That is not true. Phil is making $1.4 million and is one of the highest paid coordinators in the country. Brian Ferentz makes 850k while levar is handsomely paid 700k as a special teams coordinator. Last round of pay adjustments, both Levar and Phil received nice raises while Brian took a pay cut.

Life is a series of calculated risks. Lets not pretend that keeping Brian around was a viable option. It was at least a year too late in the making. Don't blame the administration as Kirk left them with no options other than the one they took other than firing Kirk himself which they had no intention of doing.
The ball is now in Kirk's court. I agree that the most likely scenario is him leaving, but keeping Brian wasn't an option. Offensively Kirk's entire staff is a disaster. It's tough to see how he turns it around if he decides to stick it out.

I don't know that it's a forgone conclusion that Phil hangs it up when Kirk does. He knows the team is handicapped today. It's possible that he'd like to see what would happen if there was a functional offense that was truly complementary to his terrific defense. I think his decision depends on more than Kirk leaving.

BURN IT DOWN! I am here for new blood with ALL NEW COACHES! I have been wanting this for YEARS!! I will take my chances with the unknown, maybe they will be better, maybe they wont! But we won't know unless we make changes!!

Why don't you want Iowa to win a national championship?

can anyone answer this question…
What would the university have to physically pay KF to buyout his contract? I know it’s 7 million a year or whatever.. but does the university have to pay every aspect of the contract? Incentives, longevity bonus etc? Or just his base and supplemental?

We do know that BF definitely planned on leaving after last season, but the lawsuit ended up being a bigger factor than anyone anticipated.
"We" know no such thing. Please provide proof. And "it was common knowledge" is not proof.

Also, please explain how this is acceptable:

"After beating fourth-ranked Penn State, 23-20, the Hawkeyes have scored one or fewer touchdowns on offense in 18 of 29 games. They haven’t gained 400 yards in any of their last 30 games. They have been held to 166 yards or fewer in total offense seven times in that span."

Let's face it, whoever the HC is next year, the conference is going to be much tougher. Programs that have been developmental programs like Iowa will get left behind because of the portal. You'll need a coach that is a good recruiter of near-ready HS players and someone who knows how to use the portal. It's no longer a playing field where you can wait 3-4 years for kids to mature... they'll transfer out before they develop. Need a good salesman at the top, surrounded by good asst. coaches.

"We" know no such thing. Please provide proof. And "it was common knowledge" is not proof.

Also, please explain how this is acceptable:

"After beating fourth-ranked Penn State, 23-20, the Hawkeyes have scored one or fewer touchdowns on offense in 18 of 29 games. They haven’t gained 400 yards in any of their last 30 games. They have been held to 166 yards or fewer in total offense seven times in that span."
Plenty of Iowa beat writers have talked about it. You can go ask Kakert yourself.

Take your logical fallacies and try them on another fellow mouthbreather.

• Haha
Reactions: TampaHawkfan
You realize if Cooper's return wasn't reversed we'd be Top 20, a couple really quality wins on the season, close to a lock to win the West...and you just want to blow the whole thing up?
"Close to a lock to win the West". If there were a few REALLY good teams in the West this would be much more meaningful. The West is dreadful. From top to bottom. And btw nothing is "blown up" until after the season is over...at least as it relates to Brian. So they have a chance with the same players and same coaches they had vs Minnesota, to go win a West title because Minnesota is not beating Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT