ADVERTISEMENT

So do you really want to blow this whole thing up?

If the new coach is an offensive guy why would he want to replace Phil, if Phil wants to stay, who constantly has a top 10 defense in various metrics including the most important one which is points allowed. A head coach who has been on the offensive side of the ball does not want to make a DC hire and eliminate Phil, aknown top DC

Phil is 60, and amazingly he makes a lot less than Brian, but I could see Phil wanting to coach 3 to 7 more years and groom his successor is the Way Phil does IT.

I get that. And I'm not questioning whether or not it would be a good thing for Parker to stay. It obviously would be, but has it ever happened?

Phil Parker is only 60. I think he may want to continue for a few more years depending on whether Kirk stays or not. If Ferentz quits, make nice financial packages available to Parker and Levar to stay on, given of course, the new coach want them.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Zero percent chance Kirk returns next year with Brian booted out. Simply not happening. If you can find odds on Will Kirk Ferentz be Iowa's coach in 2024....bet your life savings on no.

If Kirk's gone, there's about a 1% chance Phil Parker returns. He has no desire to coach for someone else. Very loyal to Kirk. Came here in '99. THere's a reason Phil has turned down opportunities that would make your head spin...and it aint because he loves Iowa City. It's cuz he loves KF.

So for all these people saying, keep Phil, bring on a new O coordinator, and win a natty!....sorry, that ain't happening.

The past few years haven't been perfect. They've been maddening at times. But hawks have also won a couple bowls, division titles, had more consistent success than 90% of the teams out there. WIth KF, the good outweighs the bad (for most).

So do you really want to blow this thing up? Bc that's what's gonna happen with Brian being let go.

Seems pretty risky to me.
So Mr. integrity is going to shit on the program and break his contract? Say it ain't so!

Zero percent chance Kirk returns next year with Brian booted out. Simply not happening. If you can find odds on Will Kirk Ferentz be Iowa's coach in 2024....bet your life savings on no.

If Kirk's gone, there's about a 1% chance Phil Parker returns. He has no desire to coach for someone else. Very loyal to Kirk. Came here in '99. THere's a reason Phil has turned down opportunities that would make your head spin...and it aint because he loves Iowa City. It's cuz he loves KF.

So for all these people saying, keep Phil, bring on a new O coordinator, and win a natty!....sorry, that ain't happening.

The past few years haven't been perfect. They've been maddening at times. But hawks have also won a couple bowls, division titles, had more consistent success than 90% of the teams out there. WIth KF, the good outweighs the bad (for most).

So do you really want to blow this thing up? Bc that's what's gonna happen with Brian being let go.

It was gonna happen. Whether it's this year or 3 years from now...it was gonna happen.

BTW, if Kirk leaves earlier because Brian was let go...it's an open admission that he was putting his interests ahead of the larger program. HE...would be the one "blowing the whole thing up".

Last edited:
You realize if Cooper's return wasn't reversed we'd be Top 20, a couple really quality wins on the season, close to a lock to win the West...and you just want to blow the whole thing up?
what quality wins, Iowa state and Wisconsin?? The Big West is bad and aytime Iowa plays a good team they now get blown out ala Penn state , michigan or Ohio State becuase the offense is junk.

You realize if Cooper's return wasn't reversed we'd be Top 20, a couple really quality wins on the season, close to a lock to win the West...and you just want to blow the whole thing up?
Again, if Brian was going to be the offensive coordinator, it’s not even a question. Can you imagine Oregon or USC or UCLA or Washington in their meetings preparing for Iowa? Makes you kind of shiver.

Sounds good to me. I'm excited for exciting football that's sexy and recruits can have fun with.

Isn't my choice. It's just set in motion. You and I are along for the ride. Need a barf bag?

Love the idiot assumptions that if Kirk retires Phil is gone. You don't know that with certainty....so quit talking you like you know something special. Any new Head Coach would likely do all they could to retain him. He's a proven entity and is known as one of the very best D coordinators in the country. Hardly a guy you want to send packing. Kirk can retire and....if this university is serious about their football program, they will hire a strong offensive minded head coach that will value Phil and Lavar....and do all they can to retain them.

Love the idiot assumptions that if Kirk retires Phil is gone. You don't know that with certainty....so quit talking you like you know something special. Any new Head Coach would likely do all they could to retain him. He's a proven entity and is known as one of the very best D coordinators in the country. Hardly a guy you want to send packing. Kirk can retire and....if this university is serious about their football program, they will hire a strong offensive minded head coach that will value Phil and Lavar....and do all they can to retain them.
lol you know nothing about Phil. He and Kirk are extremely close friends.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
He's only wrong on one of them.

Phil is done when KF is done. You can take that to the bank.
So I keep hearing this. Do they have tattoos that say when I leave you must go as well? Phil just going to hang it up at 59 because Kirk is? There’s nobody else that could take the job that could convince him to stay? After all these years at the school he wouldn’t feel a pull with the right coach who asked him to stay? So then he bolts and heads to where? Because wherever he goes he also has a total transitional phase as well. If the right coach (Kleiman please) came and said nothing will change I think you’re full of shit. But I guess it will all play out.

Unless the new coach has his own guy.

Kirk has held the program hostage the last few years. We don’t negotiate with hostage takers.
How dare you speak of the Elder Ferentz with such insolence!?!?

How Dare You Greta GIF

I wish people that are ok blowing the whole thing up would just say yes, they are willing to risk becoming mediocre to bad for the chance of becoming elite. That’s it. Kirk has consistently kept us in the “good” category - yes even with a bad offense.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to take that risk - but anyone wanting that needs to also understand - and be ok with - the downside. And that could mean a great offense with a bad defense = losing records.

If the new coach is an offensive guy why would he want to replace Phil, if Phil wants to stay, who constantly has a top 10 defense in various metrics including the most important one which is points allowed. A head coach who has been on the offensive side of the ball does not want to make a DC hire and eliminate Phil, aknown top DC

Phil is 60, and amazingly he makes a lot less than Brian, but I could see Phil wanting to coach 3 to 7 more years and groom his successor is the Way Phil does IT.
This article doesn't seem to support your statement. https://hawkeyeswire.usatoday.com/l...z-brian-phil-parker-levar-woods-seth-wallace/

I wish people that are ok blowing the whole thing up would just say yes, they are willing to risk becoming mediocre to bad for the chance of becoming elite. That’s it. Kirk has consistently kept us in the “good” category - yes even with a bad offense.
im ok moving on for the chance that Iowa can start turning games against the Utah States, minnesota, iowa state, illinois, and the nebraskas of the world into comfortable wins vs the grind it out and rely on a defensive stop in the final minutes wins that we typically get with KF nowadays.

Hopefully they can be a little more competitive against the heavy hitters more often than not as well.

Throw 7 mill a year at Phil and see what happens.
I don't think any of us know what he would say.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
So I keep hearing this. Do they have tattoos that say when I leave you must go as well? Phil just going to hang it up at 59 because Kirk is? There’s nobody else that could take the job that could convince him to stay? After all these years at the school he wouldn’t feel a pull with the right coach who asked him to stay? So then he bolts and heads to where? Because wherever he goes he also has a total transitional phase as well. If the right coach (Kleiman please) came and said nothing will change I think you’re full of shit. But I guess it will all play out.
It absolutely wouldn't be Kliemann lol

Iowa and KSU staffs do not get along.

Things continue to trend in the wrong direction when we line up against the psu, Mich. & tosu's of the world, so F yeah blow it up!

The expectation for Iowa football should NOT be to have one of the worst offenses in college football. The expectation should NOT be for Iowa football to be a laughingstock and national punchline. The expectation should NOT be that Iowa's excellent defense eliminates the need for a good offense year in and year out.

Anyone who's afraid of blowing this thing up and moving ahead without BF or KF are clearly ok with expecting these things from Iowa football.

And to think one game changing bad call and we'd be 7-1. Amazing
I would say that a blown call being the deciding factor in a W or a L despite the offense having more than enough time to go a short distance into field goal range to win when the goophs only put up 12 points in the game is more of an indictment on the coaching staff than a defense of them

Are you suggesting the refs made more than one bad call?
The refs were our best offense weapon against Minnesota Yrunvs. They accounted for like 70% of our yards on our only touchdown drive. Without them Cooper’s touchdown only puts us down by two!

The refs were our best offense weapon against Minnesota Yrunvs. They accounted for like 70% of our yards on our only touchdown drive. Without them Cooper’s touchdown only puts us down by two!
Careful young man that sword cuts both ways.

This thread is a who's who of knuckleheads.....me included for even posting on this cess pool of a site.
I would add the whole forum for the most part. This is probably the most accurate post I have ever seen on this site. 5 Stars.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez

If KF has become so petty and vindictive that he not only refuses to fire his failing son, but throws a tantrum and quits when his son gets fired, then I am okay with blowing it all up and finding someone who is the man KF was 25 years ago.

You simply cannot allow a nepo-baby to keep his job when he is demonstrably the worst in the country. You cannot have it.

I'm 72 and would like to see a turnover in coaching staff before losing my senses. Have always liked Kirk in charge of the program, but I would like to see a new look Hawkeye team, win or lose. I like the Hawks to win, but I look forward to being entertained on football Saturdays. I think the change will be exciting, maybe better, maybe not. There are other good coaches in the country, maybe the Hawks will find one. Whether Kirk or someone else is the coach, I expect the Hawks to be somewhere in the middle of the pack because of the difficulty of the conference. There will be 4-5 elite teams that will probably dominate the conference each year.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to take that risk - but anyone wanting that needs to also understand - and be ok with - the downside. And that could mean a great offense with a bad defense = losing records.

I don’t like taking that risk. But leaving BF on the staff was intolerable. A bad situation is still better than an intolerable one. If our head coach places his son above the team, then there is no decision to make.

Reactions: shudaddy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT