ADVERTISEMENT

Phoenix Mercury release Caitlin Clark promotion for Indiana Fever game - before WNBA draft

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
IOWA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL

Phoenix Mercury release Caitlin Clark promotion for Indiana Fever game - before WNBA draft​

Austin Curtright
USA TODAY NETWORK

Although Caitlin Clark's college career with Iowa is over, the NCAA's all-time leading scorer is already being marketed by the WNBA — despite not even being drafted yet.

The Phoenix Mercury, in fact, released a promotion on Tuesday surrounding their June 30 game against the Indiana Fever, who hold the No. 1 pick and are widely expected to select Clark.

"This moment has become a movement," the post read. "Whether you’ve been here for a decade or a day

Although the chances of it are slim, the Fever could end the Mercury's marketing efforts should they decide to draft someone other than Clark No. 1 overall. While the 2024 WNBA Draft is loaded with college stars such as Cameron Brink and Angel Reese, the Fever would shock everyone in such an instance.

REQUIRED READING:Kim Reynolds says Caitlin Clark, Iowa women's basketball 'changed women's sports forever'

The graphic shows Taurasi, labeled as "the GOAT," vs. "The Rook" — a reference to Clark's impending rookie status. The Iowa basketball star isn't shown explicitly in the graphic, but is portrayed by a black outline with her No. 22 jersey on it.

Kinda cringey I think. Hopefully...the leaders within in the WNBA can put their collective heads together here and figure out a way NOT to make fools of themselves as it relates to CC coming into the league. While I do think Clark will be successful in the league, I think everybody may want to cool it a little and let the process work itself out.

Despite CC's college greatness, there will be an adjustment to the pro's and playing with experienced and fully mature fellow women. It seems to me like Clark is well "buffered" with very good support and advisors and will enter the league with realistic expectations, etc, but the "promoters" and hypesters that aren't in her circle may not be able to contain themselves. There is an incredible amount of momentum that CC will bring to the league...don't blow it all with stupid stunts and bad PR, etc.

I’m not caught up yet but it sure seems like there’s a lot of drama being drummed up about CC and the old guard. Give me the cliff notes, what’s got everyone’s panties in a bunch?

I’m not caught up yet but it sure seems like there’s a lot of drama being drummed up about CC and the old guard. Give me the cliff notes, what’s got everyone’s panties in a bunch?
CC is really good. 99% of her colleagues in the college game appreciate what she has done to elevate the game and make it more popular.
People in the WNBA can't handle that they are getting old and dried up (literally) and everyone wants to see her and not them. How dare she bring eyes to the WNBA

Kinda cringey I think. Hopefully...the leaders within in the WNBA can put their collective heads together here and figure out a way NOT to make fools of themselves as it relates to CC coming into the league. While I do think Clark will be successful in the league, I think everybody may want to cool it a little and let the process work itself out.

Despite CC's college greatness, there will be an adjustment to the pro's and playing with experienced and fully mature fellow women. It seems to me like Clark is well "buffered" with very good support and advisors and will enter the league with realistic expectations, etc, but the "promoters" and hypesters that aren't in her circle may not be able to contain themselves. There is an incredible amount of momentum that CC will bring to the league...don't blow it all with stupid stunts and bad PR, etc.
That's the thing. Every turnover she commits is going to get a big "I told you she wouldn't make it!" from the hate crowd right now. If she only averages 12 points a game as a rookie people will be immediately declaring her a colossal failure, even if she averages 20 points a game for the last third of the season. Anyone expecting the same numbers in the WNBA as she got in college is a fool. When Taurasi said "Reality is coming", she wasn't wrong. The way she said it and the context she put it in made her sound like an asshole but only an idiot would think that Clark won't have an adjustment period where she figures out what she can and can't do and makes adjustments to her game to adapt to the new level of play. I just hope people don't tune in the first week, watch CC struggle a bit, and then give up on the whole thing.

CC is really good. 99% of her colleagues in the college game appreciate what she has done to elevate the game and make it more popular.
People in the WNBA can't handle that they are getting old and dried up (literally) and everyone wants to see her and not them. How dare she bring eyes to the WNBA

Sounds kind of counterintuitive to the whole “respect us” (and pay us) hissy fit we’ve been hearing for quite some time. Why on earth - even as a has been - would you not want the CC wave to just keep going into the pros to build the brand?

Oh never mind. I get it. Because people.

IOWA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL

Phoenix Mercury release Caitlin Clark promotion for Indiana Fever game - before WNBA draft​

Austin Curtright
USA TODAY NETWORK

Although Caitlin Clark's college career with Iowa is over, the NCAA's all-time leading scorer is already being marketed by the WNBA — despite not even being drafted yet.

The Phoenix Mercury, in fact, released a promotion on Tuesday surrounding their June 30 game against the Indiana Fever, who hold the No. 1 pick and are widely expected to select Clark.

"This moment has become a movement," the post read. "Whether you’ve been here for a decade or a day

Although the chances of it are slim, the Fever could end the Mercury's marketing efforts should they decide to draft someone other than Clark No. 1 overall. While the 2024 WNBA Draft is loaded with college stars such as Cameron Brink and Angel Reese, the Fever would shock everyone in such an instance.

REQUIRED READING:Kim Reynolds says Caitlin Clark, Iowa women's basketball 'changed women's sports forever'

The graphic shows Taurasi, labeled as "the GOAT," vs. "The Rook" — a reference to Clark's impending rookie status. The Iowa basketball star isn't shown explicitly in the graphic, but is portrayed by a black outline with her No. 22 jersey on it.
@Moral, were you a design consultant for the Caitlin silhouette?

A lot of the old players are pissed that she makes more in a month while playing in college than they've made in their careers.

So, it’s the sports version of this:

300px-Sophia_and_jayne.jpg

A tale as old as time!

That's the thing. Every turnover she commits is going to get a big "I told you she wouldn't make it!" from the hate crowd right now. If she only averages 12 points a game as a rookie people will be immediately declaring her a colossal failure, even if she averages 20 points a game for the last third of the season. Anyone expecting the same numbers in the WNBA as she got in college is a fool. When Taurasi said "Reality is coming", she wasn't wrong. The way she said it and the context she put it in made her sound like an asshole but only an idiot would think that Clark won't have an adjustment period where she figures out what she can and can't do and makes adjustments to her game to adapt to the new level of play. I just hope people don't tune in the first week, watch CC struggle a bit, and then give up on the whole thing.
Correct. ^^ I would also add that her role on a pro team figures to be unlike her role on "her" college team. She may never average 30+ ppg and that may be OK.

Here, she was the center of the universe figuratively speaking, and deservedly so IMO. Her ability to score and pass put her way out there in terms of value to the team. A good coach, which I think Bluder is BTW, was wise to let her have plenty of latitude...she was that good.

On a pro team, a team that includes other mega stars like Boston and others, the team doesn't "need" CC to get 40% of the points. 15% or 20% should do just fine. I think CC makes her mark on the team first by her elite passing...let the scoring come in time, don't force it OR freak out when she isn't knocking down 30 ppg.

Clark seems well advised and overall pretty heady...I would suggest that "team Clark" begin now to publicly set reasonable expectations about her intro to the "W" to hopefully prevent some of the sniping that is coming. Just a thought.

Reactions: BioHawk
Correct. ^^ I would also add that her role on a pro team figures to be unlike her role on "her" college team. She may never average 30+ ppg and that may be OK.

Here, she was the center of the universe figuratively speaking, and deservedly so IMO. Her ability to score and pass put her way out there in terms of value to the team. A good coach, which I think Bluder is BTW, was wise to let her have plenty of latitude...she was that good.

On a pro team, a team that includes other mega stars like Boston and others, the team doesn't "need" CC to get 40% of the points. 15% or 20% should do just fine. I think CC makes her mark on the team first by her elite passing...let the scoring come in time, don't force it OR freak out when she isn't knocking down 30 ppg.

Clark seems well advised and overall pretty heady...I would suggest that "team Clark" begin now to publicly set reasonable expectations about her intro to the "W" to hopefully prevent some of the sniping that is coming. Just a thought.
Individually, I agree assists will be the most important stat, followed by points and 3P%. But more important will be the team's PPG, offensive efficiency, etc.

A lot of it is older players being jealous of all the attention she’s getting and all the money she’s making. And some of it is former UConn players like Taurasi being salty that Iowa knocked the Huskies out of the Final Four.

Individually, I agree assists will be the most important stat, followed by points and 3P%. But more important will be the team's PPG, offensive efficiency, etc.
She also needs to keep turnovers down or she won't be able to stay out on the floor.

She also needs to keep turnovers down or she won't be able to stay out on the floor.
Maybe. She is a bit of a high risk high reward player. In the process of dazzling, she will turn it over some. The good news is that there will be a massive upgrade as to whom will be receiving said dazzling passes, and turnovers should not be a problem.

These promotions will breed a really high level of envy and jealousy from the WNBA veterans going forward, imo.

These promotions will breed a really high level of envy and jealousy from the WNBA veterans going forward, imo.
When they see their paychecks go up because of it they need to be thanking her. Get over it and be happy you may start making enough money to where you don't need to go play in Russia and spend a year in jail so you can make ends meet.

When they see their paychecks go up because of it they need to be thanking her. Get over it and be happy you may start making enough money to where you don't need to go play in Russia and spend a year in jail so you can make ends meet.
Nike was paying Griner a million dollars a year. She didn’t have to play overseas to make ends meet. She wanted to make more money.

Last edited:
Fair enough.
Of course it’s also true that some WNBA players probably do actually need to play overseas to pay their bills. Some of them are only making around $75K and don’t have the kinds of endorsement deals that players like Griner have.

Reactions: BioHawk
Clark's going to do just fine in the WNBA. She's going to post good numbers right away, IMO.

Anyone else getting Fever fever?

Reactions: Tenacious E
A lot of it is older players being jealous of all the attention she’s getting and all the money she’s making. And some of it is former UConn players like Taurasi being salty that Iowa knocked the Huskies out of the Final Four.
Anyone ever consider that race is involved? No one cared who had the scoring record or who won games in women's BB until a white girl became a star for doing it.
She's not the first to set the record. But things were different this time. Why? Because mainstream America was tuning in. Why now?
If you were a former player who played to empty arenas wouldn't you be a bit salty?

Anyone ever consider that race is involved? No one cared who had the scoring record or who won games in women's BB until a white girl became a star for doing it.
She's not the first to set the record. But things were different this time. Why? Because mainstream America was tuning in. Why now?
If you were a former player who played to empty arenas wouldn't you be a bit salty?
Former number scorer Kelsey plum looks to be a little pale complected for your argument to hold water. Jackie stiles looks pretty white too.

russell-westbrook-yawn.gif

Damn straight white girls beating out other straight white girls.

(Really need someone to explain why straight and white matters in this context)

Lol. Belem’s feeble attempt at race baiting gets blown to hell in the very first response.

Reactions: McLovin32

I think there has been some racial aspect both directions. It’s hard to not be suspicious that the media found it easier to hype a midwestern white girl.

But I have to think the off-the-chart attention is the biggest driver of jealousy.

Did you look at the scatter plot? It’s not just points it’s assists. And she is the green dot out past Pluto. People tend to enjoy watching a player countless standard deviations from the norm.
So you think assists are what drew national attention when others didn't get the same? Ok.

Lol. Belem’s feeble attempt at race baiting gets blown to hell in the very first response.
You're still not very good at reading for content.
You don't think any of the 'salty pros' aren't thinking that?
You can argue if it's valid, but I'll bet my house that some certainly are.

You're still not very good at reading for content.
You don't think any of the 'salty pros' aren't thinking that?
You can argue if it's valid, but I'll bet my house that some certainly are.
So are you saying the salty pros are racist?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT