ADVERTISEMENT

CAITLIN CLARK DECLARES FOR 2024 WNBA DRAFT

Caitlin Clark made the best decision. Her scoring record will
have been achieved in 4 years. She does not need a 5th year
to prove anything. Caitlin's WNBA career will be enjoyed by
all Hawkeyes fans as she continues to display those dazzling
3 pointers from afar. Best of Luck to her in the future.
As always, good stuff Lute.

As much as I want to see her back for another year the team won't be as good next year and all we would hear about is how her playing a 5th year somehow invalidates all the records she set in her 4th year.

How much do you know about the wnba? I don't know too much. I think she'll be successful... Beyond that I don't exactly know what to expect.

ESPN plays their games now. They have 12 teams. Their viewer numbers during the WNBA finals was 728k which was up 20% bit probably because of the ESPN thing. Those numbers are less than the Caitlin Cam snagged. So who knows how she is about to change things, but numbers will surely be up for at least part of the season.

I guess the rumor that ESPN or Fox or someone else offered 2 million to return was false, otherwise if I was CC I'd say, " I came back for the money, wouldn't you..."

Yes, especially after all the adversity she's had to overcome...

I feel bad for all of the athletes the constant wave of adversity they have to brave.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I guess the rumor that ESPN or Fox or someone else offered 2 million to return was false, otherwise if I was CC I'd say, " I came back for the money, wouldn't you..."

Yes, especially after all the adversity she's had to overcome...
Honestly, Clark has had a lot of ways to make more money than she already has but has taken a pass on it. I think she believes that she can build an even bigger share in the WNBA. I don't know if that is possible but her shot at doing it in Indy is as good as anywhere.

How much do you know about the wnba? I don't know too much. I think she'll be successful... Beyond that I don't exactly know what to expect.
Not much at all. I watched some of the last two finals.... I thought the quality of play was very high. I just think she's going to take a lot of the eyes with her

No reason for her to come back. She has proved herself to be the best woman's college player ever. If she came back that would just see more hate and jealousy of her accomplishments.

No reason for her to come back. She has proved herself to be the best woman's college player ever. If she came back that would just see more hate and jealousy of her accomplishments.
No reason unless $$$$$ at Iowa >>>> $$$$$ WNBA...

New Hoops Tournament Featuring UConn Women to Launch in 2024. Iowa, Tennessee, Louisville, and UConn will participate in the inaugural Women's Champions Classic at Barclays Center in December. The event operators hope the tournament will help increase women's college basketball visibility.

In light of this tourney rumors that CC and Paige B were offered big money to return kind of made sense. Evidently just a rumor...

No reason unless $$$$$ at Iowa >>>> $$$$$ WNBA...

New Hoops Tournament Featuring UConn Women to Launch in 2024. Iowa, Tennessee, Louisville, and UConn will participate in the inaugural Women's Champions Classic at Barclays Center in December. The event operators hope the tournament will help increase women's college basketball visibility.

In light of this tourney rumors that CC and Paige B were offered big money to return kind of made sense. Evidently just a rumor...
She will get plenty of money, those endorsements wont just go away. I think the Olympics play a part in this as well...

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to basketball, but she has to go pro before she can make the Olympic team? I know the IOC abandoned the amateur-only thing, but now she can only compete as a pro?

It's almost because she broke the records. She would be doing a disservice to future players. But what a shame if you wanted to see her in an Iowa uniform. What a fast four years.
Also, she has so many great friends on the team that will be moving on as well. She can obviously do whatever she wants, but this makes a ton of sense.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
But that is pretty dumb. I don't think the gals in the WNBA are going to welcome CC even though it is going to make their league better.
I don’t know about that. Caitlin likely knows a lot of them at this point. She’ll have to earn her place and they’re not going to just anoint her when she comes in, but I think there’s probably plenty of respect there.

Being that Indy had the first pick, it just made so much sense. As an example, on her sponsorships, HyVee is expanding to Indy. Bet that sponsorship remains in place. I'd venture to guess she does something ceremonial at the 500 this year (starter or pace car driver). She's sold out every arena in the B1G this year, so has a huge Midwestern following outside of IC, and it's 1 of 3 Midwest franchises and in a basketball loving state. It's been the top story in IN sports today, all everyone is discussing.

I don’t know about that. Caitlin likely knows a lot of them at this point. She’ll have to earn her place and they’re not going to just anoint her when she comes in, but I think there’s probably plenty of respect there.

I hope you are right. But I don't see it.

Nothing left to prove for the GOAT.

This Sunday will be just her 130th career game at Iowa.

The National Championship game, should Iowa get there, would be game #139, which is the number of games Lynette Woodard (former "big school" scoring record holder) and Kelsey Plum (former NCAA scoring record holder) played.

Milestones, with up to 10 more games in her career:

(1) 18 pts needed to top the Men's NCAA scoring record of 3,667 (Pete Maravich, LSU; 1968-1970; 83 GP; 44.2 ppg).
-----> Looks like she needs roughly 1 more game to do it (32 ppg x 1 game = 32), which would occur on Sun March 3rd in Iowa City vs Ohio State (Senior Day).

(2) On Wed Feb 28, 2024, in a 108-60 win at Minnesota, in just her 129th game, Caitlin broke the AIAW/"Big School" career scoring record. The previous record was 3,649 points (Lynette Woodard, Kansas University; the AIAW was pre-NCAA; she played from 1978-1981; 139 Games Played; 26.3 ppg).

(3) On Thurs. Feb 15, 2024, in 106-89 home win over Michigan, in just her 126th game, Caitlin broke the NCAA career scoring record. The previous record was 3,527 points (Kelsey Plum, University of Washington; 2014-2017; 139 Games Played; 25.4 ppg).

(4) On Jan 31, 2024, in a 110-74 win at Northwestern, in just her 122nd game, Caitlin set the Big Ten Career Scoring Record. The previous record was 3,402 points (Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State; 2015-2018; 139 Games Played; 24.5 ppg).

(5)
On Nov 12, 2023, in a 94-53 win at UNI, in just her 103rd game, Caitlin became Iowa's All Time Leading Scorer. The previous record was 2,804 points (Megan Gustafson; 2015-2019; 135 Games Played; 20.8 ppg).

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
I'm pretty dumb when it comes to basketball, but she has to go pro before she can make the Olympic team? I know the IOC abandoned the amateur-only thing, but now she can only compete as a pro?
They schedule the Team USA training camp during the Women’s Tournament.

Essentially CC’s audition will be the first month of the WNBA season in May.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
It shouldn't be audition.

I'm serious. She has the power. DSM could support a WNBA team. Hawk and Clone fans love them some women's basketball.

I hope you are right. But I don't see it.
Why wouldn’t it be? There might be a little resentment from some, but one of two things happens - she comes in as just another player and overall interest never changes, so she’ll be as good as she winds up being or she comes in and brings fan base with her and everyone winds up making more money.

And regardless of Caitlin specifically, the women’s game is really, really rising and fans of more than just a handful of programs are starting to know these players. Clark, Bueckers, Van Lith, Reese and on and on and on will be hitting the WNBA and those women have an audience like never before.

Why wouldn’t it be? There might be a little resentment from some, but one of two things happens - she comes in as just another player and overall interest never changes, so she’ll be as good as she winds up being or she comes in and brings fan base with her and everyone winds up making more money.

And regardless of Caitlin specifically, the women’s game is really, really rising and fans of more than just a handful of programs are starting to know these players. Clark, Bueckers, Van Lith, Reese and on and on and on will be hitting the WNBA and those women have an audience like never before.

WNBA has been around for a couple decades. They don't sell out arenas. They are not must see TV. Without cheaters, I guarantee most GIAHORT members could not name the starting five for any team. I support whatever she chooses, but WNBA is a joke

Reactions: billanole
The WNBA has a lot of factors going against it. For starters, they only play a 32-game regular season during summer months, which is not exactly the time known for basketball. Their playoffs conflict directly with the start of football season. The salary cap per team is a measly $1.5 million, whereas it's $150 mil for the NBA. WNBA average attendance is under 7,000 people per game.

I can't say I've watched more than a couple minutes of WNBA in my life, but I can only assume it's a much different game, akin to the NBA vs college for men. I enjoy college hoops, but have zero interest in the NBA. I think Caitlin is extremely talented, but she will be a target from day one. Bottom line is I think she will bring some new interest in the WNBA, but I'm not sure how much staying power it will have.

Being that Indy had the first pick, it just made so much sense. As an example, on her sponsorships, HyVee is expanding to Indy. Bet that sponsorship remains in place. I'd venture to guess she does something ceremonial at the 500 this year (starter or pace car driver). She's sold out every arena in the B1G this year, so has a huge Midwestern following outside of IC, and it's 1 of 3 Midwest franchises and in a basketball loving state. It's been the top story in IN sports today, all everyone is discussing.
Her agent gets all this. Her apex is likely never going to be higher. Strike while the iron is hot.

Reactions: cigaretteman
WNBA has been around for a couple decades. They don't sell out arenas. They are not must see TV. Without cheaters, I guarantee most GIAHORT members could not name the starting five for any team. I support whatever she chooses, but WNBA is a joke
So was the NBA before Bird v.Johnson. Playoffs were on tape delay at midnight, even the finals.

It’s a gamble that the Clark/Reese rivalry can do same for WnBA but it’s not out of the realm as an analogous situation.

Reactions: This_Hawk_Abides
The WNBA has a lot of factors going against it. For starters, they only play a 32-game regular season during summer months, which is not exactly the time known for basketball. Their playoffs conflict directly with the start of football season. The salary cap per team is a measly $1.5 million, whereas it's $150 mil for the NBA. WNBA average attendance is under 7,000 people per game.

I can't say I've watched more than a couple minutes of WNBA in my life, but I can only assume it's a much different game, akin to the NBA vs college for men. I enjoy college hoops, but have zero interest in the NBA. I think Caitlin is extremely talented, but she will be a target from day one. Bottom line is I think she will bring some new interest in the WNBA, but I'm not sure how much staying power it will have.

This is part of my point. I can't see myself watching WNBA games vs. Iowa womens games.

So was the NBA before Bird v.Johnson. Playoffs were on tape delay at midnight, even the finals.

It’s a gamble that the Clark/Reese rivalry can do same for WnBA but it’s not out of the realm as an analogous situation.

I hope you are right. I just don't see it. Come back at me in 5 years and tell me I'm wrong. I'd be happy to be wrong.

Reactions: cfbfan23
I hope you are right. I just don't see it. Come back at me in 5 years and tell me I'm wrong. I'd be happy to be wrong.
It’s at best 50-50 - but think about it, is women’s basketball at any level going to be bigger at any time than in March of 2024?

I mean the Clark announcement was on NBC Nightly News and a lead story on SportsCenter

Try to capitalize now.

It’s at best 50-50 - but think about it, is women’s basketball at any level going to be bigger at any time than in March of 2024?

I mean the Clark announcement was on NBC Nightly News and a lead story on SportsCenter

Try to capitalize now.

I'm not thinking you are wrong. I think it is short-sighted.

Most of my friends tell me I'm wrong on this. but I just think going back for another year, keep those millions coming in, and getting close to a Masters degree makes more sense.

I say this from the viewpoint of wishing I had taken the other path.

Without cheaters, I guarantee most GIAHORT members could not name the starting five for any team.
I guarantee they can't name the starting 5 for most NBA teams... Pinnacle must see NBA to me was the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. I know the superstars but I don't know the role players or bench guys like I did back then. Almost like NASCAR, I knew like 7 of the racers in the field for this years 500... 15-20 years ago I knew who 90% of the drivers were and I wasn't even a casual fan.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
But that is pretty dumb. I don't think the gals in the WNBA are going to welcome CC even though it is going to make their league better.
I think it will be a mix, but there are definitely players who are going to go after her when she's on the court.

3 year old PJhawk didn't take the news well.

Black Friday Reaction GIF by Arrow Video

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D
I think it will be a mix, but there are definitely players who are going to go after her when she's on the court.

She's going to have to earn respect just like any other athlete. That said the toughest thing for her is that if she isn't the best player in the WNBA in 2 or 3 years she will be regarded as a bust.

Very very few athletes enter the pros with the level of expectations on them as she has. Best recent comparison I could make is Andrew Luck but even the expectations on him are probably lower than hers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT