ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: How Many Wins This Season?

How Many Wins for the 22-23 Hawkeyes?

• Total voters

nu2u

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2006
A veteran Hawkeye squad returns to face 31 regular season opponents.

Mon., Nov. 7 Bethune Cookman
Fri., Nov. 11 North Carolina A&T

Wed., Nov. 16 at Seton Hall
Mon., Nov. 21 Omaha #
Fri., Nov. 25 vs. Clemson ^
Sat., Nov. 26 vs. Cal or TCU ^
Tues., Nov. 29 Georgia Tech %
Tues., Dec. 6 vs. Duke ~
Thurs., Dec. 8 Iowa State +
Sun., Dec. 11 Wisconsin
Sat., Dec. 17 Southeast Missouri State
Wed., Dec. 21 Eastern Illinois

Thurs., Dec. 29 at Nebraska
Sun., Jan. 1 at Penn State
Thurs., Jan. 5 Indiana
Sun., Jan. 8 at Rutgers
Thurs., Jan. 12 Michigan
Sun., Jan. 15 Maryland
Wed., Jan. 18 Northwestern

Sat., Jan. 21 at Ohio State
Thurs., Jan. 26 at Michigan State
Sun., Jan. 29 Rutgers
Sat., Feb. 4 Illinois

Thurs., Feb. 9 at Purdue
Sun., Feb. 12 at Minnesota
Thurs., Feb. 16 Ohio State
Sun., Feb. 19 at Northwestern
Wed., Feb. 22 at Wisconsin
Sat., Feb. 25 Michigan State
Tues., Feb. 28 at Indiana
Sun., March 5 Nebraska

Reactions: iabcuda
I have the Hawks at 8-3 + 12-8 for 20-11. Will need someone to emerge at Center.
Who worries you at center on the schedule that Filip can't guard? We got blessed with only playing Michigan and Purdue once each. Cliff O from Rutgers is probably the #3 best in the conference. Most other centers in the league are 6'8/9. We'll need the backups to give 3-5 solid minutes each and Filip needs to stay out of foul trouble.

Who worries you at center on the schedule that Filip can't guard? We got blessed with only playing Michigan and Purdue once each. Cliff O from Rutgers is probably the #3 best in the conference. Most other centers in the league are 6'8/9. We'll need the backups to give 3-5 solid minutes each and Filip needs to stay out of foul trouble.
Rebraca is solid but, as you mentioned, he has been hampered by foul trouble . Hopefully, Mulvey and/or Ogundele are improved, I think they will be needed. Mulvey has shot blocking skills so I'm looking forward to watching him play a bigger role.

Reactions: amahawk
Last year I said 20 and just hope we make the tournament. Worked out pretty well except for the end of it. I'll go with the same 20 win and hope to make the NCAA tournament prediction this year.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
Screw it.

I'm going to go ahead and assume the Hawks will still be one of the better offensively efficient teams in the country and the defense in the final 1.5 months of the last B1G season play will pick back up somewhat quickly, even if not quite as good in efficiency.

9 or 10 OOC wins [@ SHU, vs Clemson @ ECC (& TCU* in the tourney final), and vs Duke (in NYC) are tossups]
and
14 or 15 B1G wins [the only 2 games I see as most likely losses are @ PU and @ IU; every other game is up for grabs - yes, even the ones @ OSU, MSU & Wisconsin].

23 to 25 wins pre-BTT.

* - vs TCU will be a tossup, but if Cal upsets them, then I think Iowa can handle the Bears

Slight plurality of Hawkeye BB fans expect Iowa to finish with less than 10 losses, 22-9 or 23-8. I do think the B10 media voters are underestimating this team's potential. The backcourt roster has a good mix of experience and talent and that goes a long way otward success, very capable of a Top5 Big Ten finish..... contenders for a title if defense is improved and the Center position develops.

I said 24-25, but I included postseason in my answer (which I now see that I am the only one who did).

As I looked at the schedule, I pretty much agree with HawkHoops80 and SSG T above. I see about 9-2 noncon, 13-7 conference. Then a couple wins in the BTT and one in the Dance or vice versa

Reactions: AlvySinger
19-21 wins.

Love our core of plus players. Depth is unproven, but Connor gives us stability there.

We will run so the guards better be ready. Hoping for our best rebounding year and hope it’s a point of emphasis. Team will have to grow quickly as the schedule will test them in a good way.

8 non con.
12 con wins.

A solid regular season and hope for an ascending end of season.

Last edited:
Answer any question marks with a positive result and project wins upward. Way upward.

Biggest questions, imm, are guard productivity/depth and center position stability.

Keys: Ulis/Bowen, get something good out of them.
Same with Riley/Josh O

I too came up with 20 wins going into the BTT.

Regarding the article and its projected starting lineup, I agree those are our top 5. However, Sandfort is needed to back up the 2-4 spot (along with Connor at the backup 4) so Kris can jump down at the 5 to spell Filip. Sandfort will get starter minutes; or close to it though.

I think this is well written, fair, and thorough. Though I disagree with the person's projected starting lineup for Iowa, I can see how someone from the outside would come to that conclusion.

Lineup looks right to me

I tend to agree, the writeup seems fair to me, maybe even a little on the rosy side. The projected starter group is lacking a point guard however. Perkins will only play limited times at PG if Ulis, Bowen and Connor are unavailable.

I came up with 19. Looks like some tough non-con games, though I made those picks not knowing much about how good everyone on our schedule is expected to be. So I just winged it.

Hopefully the non-con SOS will help us this year..

I think this is well written, fair, and thorough. Though I disagree with the person's projected starting lineup for Iowa, I can see how someone from the outside would come to that conclusion.
It’s a very good article, imo. I agree that any of the top 5 teams are capable of winning the conference outright. If Holtmann can get all that young talent to gel, they might be the best threat of any team in the league to make a deep tourney run. Man, they’re loaded.

We are in the flameout B1G. Dont expect too much success in the tourney. We always think we’re good. No one else pays attention.

I’ll say this, no one in the B1G scares me. I think as long as we continue to knock down shots as we know they can, (Richmond was an outlier, imo), Hawks will be in every game. Rebounding should be the emphasis, particularly on the defensive end !

19-21 wins.

Love our core of plus players. Depth is unproven, but Connor gives us stability there.

We will run so the guards better be ready. Hoping for our best rebounding year and hope it’s a point of emphasis. Team will have to grow quickly as the schedule will test them in a good way.

8 non con.
12 con wins.

A solid regular season and hope for an ascending end of season.
I am at 20 - 21 wins and solid NCAA tourney team but more like a seed in the 6 - 10 range.

I’ll say this, no one in the B1G scares me. I think as long as we continue to knock down shots as we know they can, (Richmond was an outlier, imo), Hawks will be in every game. Rebounding should be the emphasis, particularly on the defensive end !
I scoffed at your first sentence when I read it mostly out of reflex but then I thought twice and agree with you 100%. There really is not a single team in this league that Iowa should dread playing. There are a lot of teams with some good players but zero teams with a clear cut final four or even elite eight tier roster.

Ohio State probably comes the closest in terms of just pure talent but they’re all young.

I think this is a year that coaches are going to have a greater than usual impact on who wins the league title, and frankly…I like our chances with this staff.

We are in the flameout B1G. Dont expect too much success in the tourney. We always think we’re good. No one else pays attention.
Except the AP pollsters, the nerd box analysts, and the NCAA seeding committee....except for them, you mean.

Big Ten fans don't seed the teams, dummy.

This hyper focus on the tourney is silly. If you want to determine the best team in college basketball, a single elimination tournament consisting of 68 teams shipped all around the country and matched up at semi-random is a comically piss poor way of doing it.

Frankly, an NCAA national champ deserves about 20% of the hype it gets.

The SS hype is even more idiotic. To think the final 16 teams in the NCAA tourney in any given year represent the actual 16 best teams in the country is just plain stupid.

The NCAA tourney is one of the greatest sporting events in sports. It's great fun, and an enormous money generating machine.

Still...I'll take a regular season title over anything except FF/NC.

Reactions: hawksense
No reason to be pessimistic about this upcoming season. Return some very good players, mix in a consequential freshman. I see 22 about the right spot; 9 and 12, a win in the BTT = 22.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT