ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Speak American if in America?

Poll: In America, Speak American?

• If you are living in America you should only speak your native tongue.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Only a moron would expect other people to speak their language in a foreign country.

Reactions: thewop
Is it safe to assume those of you that voted against speaking "American" did so because we actually speak a form of English? If not, go to hell.
no, I just don't think I should be forced to learn Chinese or Italian if I am an expat in China or Italy.

Yeah, you can speak whatever language you want, and learning new languages can be a very useful tool, but if you're in a different country you shouldn't expect people to bow to your every need.

If you're going to live in another country, it behooves you to learn that country's native language or at least have a simplistic grasp of it in order to make your life easier (unless you have a translator, like say a pro baseball player from Japan...................).

Another Modern Human invention which proves to be problematic!

Anybody else find it ironic that the party of "freedom" tells you what language you can speak?
I know as most things this is a little hard for a "talking points" guy like you because it requires a little thought but its not about freedom, its about assimilation. I believe English should be the official language but with that being said all Americans who speak a different language should be respected. As an example Jeb speaking Spanish to Spanish speaking people is perfectly fine with me. They should be encouraged, however, to learn English. A little nuanced I know and that's tough for you to understand buts where I am.

no, I just don't think I should be forced to learn Chinese or Italian if I am an expat in China or Italy.
So they should learn to speak like you? The natives of a country, should have to change their ways because you are visiting?

Yeah, you can speak whatever language you want, and learning new languages can be a very useful tool, but if you're in a different country you shouldn't expect people to bow to your every need.

If you're going to live in another country, it behooves you to learn that country's native language or at least have a simplistic grasp of it in order to make your life easier (unless you have a translator, like say a pro baseball player from Japan...................).
Exactly, and it's actually quite disrespectful to think different.

You can speak whatever you want.

But, if your goal is to be successful and compete, then you may want to become proficient in the language in which commerce is conducted.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
You ever worked in China, Italy, or Switzerland? It's all English anyway-- at least in IT.
I've lived worked in Germany, and learned German out of respect for their culture and language. I was never fluent, or even fully functional in business, but the benefits were numerous. During meetings, they would sometimes switch to English on my account, and that's a awful feeling. It should be all the motivation you need to learn the language of the country and people gracious enough to host you.

You ever worked in China, Italy, or Switzerland? It's all English anyway-- at least in IT.
I've spent a lot of time in Italy and Switzerland. In Switzerland everyone knows English, but in Italy knowing at least some Italian is essential if you leave the major cities.

We take our language for granted though. English is the international language for business so most of the educated world knows it. That is not the case for other languages.

All I want to know, am I going to have to learn to speak American Indian? Which version?
There are also going to be a lot of hillbillies and cajuns who are going to have to step up and learn them some language.

Perhaps if you where living on one of their reservations you might have to learn to speak their language.

It's important to speak the local dominate language if you are going to live some place. I don't expect that out of tourists but if you are going to live someplace then you should probably learn the local dominate language.

All that said I think a lot of this is much ado about nothing. I think a bunch of people see some Hispanics speaking among themselves in Spanish and presume that they don't speak English. In my experience they do speak English but among themselves they use their native language. That's been something that's been done in this country for eons with new immigrant groups. Shoot in the town where I grew up they have 2 LCMS churches because one group wanted services in English and the other wanted to keep having them in German. So I believe the English group split and formed a separate parish and later on the original eventually switched to English services.

Eventually after a couple generations of living here constantly the native language faded into the background and all but disappeared.

This is true in my experience as well. I was shocked by how many people spoke English that I've worked with. Pretty fluent in it as well.

It's a disadvantage if you don't speak the national language. We should make it easy for everybody to learn English. But there's no call to make it even harder on those who don't - by disparaging or otherwise persecuting them. The difficulties they face are punishment enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT