ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Jordan Bohannon News

WHY does someone want to come and play for an organization(NCAA) which he has openly complained about for the past 2-3 years? Simple answer: He's got nothing happening other than being on the Iowa basketball team.

His entire angle towards college athletics is totally hypocritical. I am not saying what he believes in is wrong, its just that his words and his actions aren't in sync.

"Student athletes are treated like garbage" vs "Oh wait...sure i will come back for a 6th season!!".
If he was a player in the NCAA and just simply complaining about it without trying to enact change, I would agree with you...but he isn’t, so I don’t.

Like his stance or not, he’s trying to “be the change”.

Luckily not everyone has the mindset that if something isn’t perfect you just walk away or else you’re a hypocrite.

Shooting.
AND GO (away)
I'll ignore the fact you're pretty standoff-ish for some reason..

Jordan Bohannon's game has more cons than pros: He is darn good at the FT line and is occasionally very productive shooting from deep.

Then there's the rest of basketball. And with Jordan, now we factor in his obsession with the NIL and social media-complaining. His head and heart are not where it needs to be for the TEAM.

Which is why I'll be very disappointed if Jordan is wearing an Iowa jersey come November.

I am ambivalent about Jordan coming back, but the current roster has zero players who are proven consistent 3-pt shooters. That alone would be a good reason for him to come back (in a more limited role).
The part in parentheses is the most important piece. If everybody knew that Jordan coming back meant 15-20 minutes per game at SG, there’s be very few who wouldn’t be excited about the prospects of him being back.

Unfortunately, I tend to believe that Fran is going to use either Bohannon (if he returns) or Connor at PG for substantial minutes next season. This does nothing but stunt the growth and in-game experience for a guy like Ulis, and probably just pisses Toussaint off

Last edited:
Just a assumption on what i observed throughout the season. JBO is an attention whore and conner is a well a true piece of wrk. what the f does conner bring that out weighs what joet or ulis has or for that matter chris murray. In street ball conner would be the last pick. This is a situation caused by fran and nepotism.

Connor and Kris

I had been in the “time to move on camp.”
But with CJ’s departure, we definitely need a shooter. And though Bohannon has clear faults, I doubt we are going to find many better options in the portal.

I do hope he ends up playing more of a SG role than a PG role.
I agree I hope Joe T is point guard and JBo is shooting guard

IF Fran used him in a limited off ball role with half the minutes he got this year, then maybe his return for yet another season might be of value for the team.
Since nothing about what Fran has done to date suggests that's how it would play out I remain unenthused.
This little will he or won't he mini drama seems to be a lot more about Bohannon and his self promotion than it does about the team.

Well, I'm in the minority here, but I think having him back is good news.

In 29 min/g he averaged 10.6 pts, 4.4 assts, and 1.4 to's. He shot 39% from 2 and from 3. Made 89% of his FT's. He's been statistically consistent in his career, except for TO's which have been cut in half. He's the most experience player in Iowa history.

His stat line is better than CJ's (except for FG%).

Even his minutes remain at 29 (which I kind of doubt), there are 54 minutes to replace in CJ & JW. That's 18 additional minutes each for JT, Tony & Ulis.

A couple weeks ago we were worried about having a full team - now it looks like they can win some games.

I believe Fran will put the best available team on the floor.

Now do defense.

I would be happy with JBo splitting time with Ulis at the 2, and Ulis also backing up JoeT at the PG. Ulis is really a combo guard, and could play either position. He'll be a better option at the 2 than JBo on the defensive end.

Now do defense.
I'm sure he has had more than one good defensive game in his career, but I only remember one. That was against then-freshman AJ Green of UNI, and Jordan was nursing a grudge because Cedar Falls had kept him from going to the state tournament his senior year, or some such thing. We may just need to get him to go full (Michael) Jordan and find a grudge for each opponent.

Yeah.....be careful what you wish for. IF this drives Ulis and/or Perkins to the portal, that's trading 8 years of eligibility for 1 year of Bohannon.....and that's not even considering Touissant possibly bolting. How shortsided thinking is that! Especially when we will only be predicted to be so-so.

I've been worrying about this since I first heard the rumor. If any of these possibilities come to fruition, this will end up as the biggest blunder in Iowa Basketball history excepting, of course, the hiring of Licklauterbur.

I hope Fran has full control of this situation if Bohannon does in fact return and, like Slim, I hope Bohannon agrees to accept a "spark off the bench" role with Ulis and Perkins getting the biggest share of minutes unless they fail horribly, which is not likely IMO.

This is risky business, all due respect to Jordan's spectacular career. I would only be guessing as to what his motive(s) are in coming back, but it's undeniable that he's a guy who certainly loves the limelight and if that happens to be THE reason he's returning, he's putting himself before team.
As a paid member....I am not as concerned about this as I once was. Not saying that I am not concerned....just that I am not as concerned based on what I have read from Tom K.....I hope that is not revealing more than what I am allowed to reveal.

As a paid member....I am not as concerned about this as I once was. Not saying that I am not concerned....just that I am not as concerned based on what I have read from Tom K.....I hope that is not revealing more than what I am allowed to reveal.
You left me with more questions than answers, so I’d say you’re good 🙂

And that's different from the 6 years before he was on the roster?
Nope, but thats why you continue to try something different.

The appeal of the upcoming season for me was to finally see an Iowa team that isn't overmatched athletically for the first time in decades.

Throwing the worst athlete in the conference back in the mix will have a serious negative impact on the defense.

Last edited:
If Ulis and Perkins go the the portal it won't be because JBo came back. It will be because they weren't good enough to get minutes or Fran screwed up. First, JBo should NOT be the PG, so he should have no impact on Ulis. Ulis is competing against JT. If Ulis leaves it shouldn't be because of JBo. Regarding Perkins, which I really like, it's going to come down to whether he can shoot or not. He is filling the position of SG and so shooting is a requirement. I think bringing back JBo actually is better for Perkins. If Fran went to the portal chances are the only valuable guys he'd get are guys who want to to start and play a lot of minutes. That could have sent Perkins to the portal. If JBo comes back Perkins is actually in a better position for minutes than if CJ had stayed, so I'm not sure why Perkins would leave.
Why do people keep saying he wouldn't be playing pg?

What evidence is there of this?

He played pg over Ulis and Toussaint last year. Whats the difference now?

If he's coming back its to dribble the ball around in circles with his back to the basket 40 feet from the hoop trying to get space to shoot a 3.

I believe Fran will put the best available team on the floor.
giphy.gif

The part in parentheses is the most important piece. If everybody knew that Jordan coming back meant 15-20 minutes per game at SG, there’s be very few who wouldn’t be excited about the prospects of him being back.

Unfortunately, I tend to believe that Fran is going to use either Bohannon (if he returns) or Connor at PG for substantial minutes next season. This does nothing but stunt the growth and in-game experience for a guy like Ulis, and probably just pisses Toussaint off
If Connor and Jbo are playing point next year its a throw away year with the ultimate potential of accomplishing little to nothing.

If he's coming back its to dribble the ball around in circles with his back to the basket 40 feet from the hoop trying to get space to shoot a 3.

Because I believe/hope he's going to help fill the loss of CJ, which is the SG.

The BrainTrust and decision makers of the Iowa basketball program will determine the minutes played next year and there is nothing us fans can do about it. In order of influence
Margaret
Fran
Conner
JBo
Patrick

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Seems as though we are all wasting a lot of time discussing the pros and cons of Jordan's possible return. Why not wait and see how it plays out?
McCaffrey has gone on record numerous times stating he is very pleased with the play of Ulis and Perkins. I take that to mean they are good Big Ten quality players.

I can only hope that if in fact Bohannon is coming back, McCaffrey has absolutely assured himself that this isn't going to cause us to lose Ulis and/or Perkins to the portal with 4 years of eligibility each in exchange for 1 year of Bohannon.

If he hasn't, and is just going to "wait and see how it plays out", then he's simply a stupid person. Worst case scenario would have him coaching a 1922 team with 1 Guard, Touissant, if he's still around and he'll be a Senior. There's a lot of risk in play here, unless this issue has already been successfully resolved.

Trading 4 years of eligibility by 1 or maybe 2 players for 1 player with 1 year of eligibility is the kind of idiotic trade the Chicago Cubs would make.

We, as fans, have the luxury of speculation about things like this. McCaffrey doesn't.

Reactions: HawkRose
I'm sure he has had more than one good defensive game in his career, but I only remember one. That was against then-freshman AJ Green of UNI, and Jordan was nursing a grudge because Cedar Falls had kept him from going to the state tournament his senior year, or some such thing. We may just need to get him to go full (Michael) Jordan and find a grudge for each opponent.
I remember his last game against Oregon.

Any one who thinks its a good idea to have him back should re-watch that one. Its on YouTube.

McCaffrey has gone on record numerous times stating he is very pleased with the play of Ulis and Perkins. I take that to mean they are good Big Ten quality players.

I can only hope that if in fact Bohannon is coming back, McCaffrey has absolutely assured himself that this isn't going to cause us to lose Ulis and/or Perkins to the portal with 4 years of eligibility each in exchange for 1 year of Bohannon.

If he hasn't, and is just going to "wait and see how it plays out", then he's simply a stupid person. Worst case scenario would have him coaching a 1922 team with 1 Guard, Touissant, if he's still around and he'll be a Senior. There's a lot of risk in play here, unless this issue has already been successfully resolved.

Trading 4 years of eligibility by 1 or maybe 2 players for 1 player with 1 year of eligibility is the kind of idiotic trade the Chicago Cubs would make.

We, as fans, have the luxury of speculation about things like this. McCaffrey doesn't.
JT and Ulis came to Iowa to play point. So if Jordan is playing point I don't know what they do.

Here is what I have heard from a reliable source:

-JBo is back next year.
-He will be play at the off guard this coming year.

Toussaint/Ulis
Bohannon
Connor
Patrick
Murray

Ulis/Toussaint
Rebraca
Perkins
Murray
Sandfort
Ogundele
Mulvey

That is probably an NIT team.

So...CJ found out in February that Jordan was considering coming back, so he starts putting out feelers. Is that the conspiracy theory of the day?

LOL!
It wouldn't be a conspiracy because it only involved one person.

It takes two to conspire by definition.

What I'm suggesting is just called a theory.

Its very plausible CJ was aware of what his teammates were thinking of doing next year.

Last edited:
If true CJs transfer starts to make more sense.

So...CJ found out in February that Jordan was considering coming back, so he starts putting out feelers. Is that the conspiracy theory of the day?

LOL!

It wouldn't be a conspiracy because it only involved one person.

It takes two to conspire by definition.

Its very plausible CJ was aware of what his teammates were thinking of doing next year.
So...CJ finds out about Jordan in February, tells his uncle, who then calls to complain to McC that Jordan is thinking about coming back, who tells him it's Jordan's decision, so uncle Joe decides to shop CJ around, then Kentucky lists CJ as a potential recruit, then > a month later Jordan says he is considering returning, then CJ tells McC that he's happy at Iowa, then CJ tells McC that he's entering the portal, then a week later there is a rumor that Jordan is returning to Iowa. And the real reason CJ is leaving is because Jordan was considering returning to Iowa.

Uh huh.

LOL!

Reactions: SB_SB
So...CJ finds out about Jordan in February, tells his uncle, who then calls to complain to McC that Jordan is thinking about coming back, who tells him it's Jordan's decision, so uncle Joe decides to shop CJ around, then Kentucky lists CJ as a potential recruit, then > a month later Jordan says he is considering returning, then CJ tells McC that he's happy at Iowa, then CJ tells McC that he's entering the portal, then a week later there is a rumor that Jordan is returning to Iowa. And the real reason CJ is leaving is because Jordan was considering returning to Iowa.

Uh huh.

LOL!
Your premises would not be necessary in order for the conclusion to be true.

Im sure CJ was unhappy with more than one part of his circumstance for next season.

Do they play defense at blue-bloods?
Maybe not if we are to believe that CJ couldn't play defense which is what we are hearing based on the Oregon game. He does however appear to be getting a lot of interest supposedly from some blue-bloods.

Before we threw the Iowa guards under the bus after the Oregon game consider the B1G season as a whole. The Iowa defense kept B1G teams in 10 games to scoring under 70 points, 6 games under 80, and 5 games (all losses) over 80. Iowa made a big turnaround once they played pretty much strictly man to man and they were 4th in D1 with a scoring average over 83 points per game.

What happened in the Oregon game was that Iowa had to play against an Oregon team that didn't have to play against Virginia Tech 36 or so hours earlier and Iowa had to play against a competitive Grand Canyon 38 hours earlier. They played against Oregon with Oregon having fresher legs. The coaches aren't going to use this as an excuse nor should they. Iowa did however play against some B1G teams with excellent athletes and quick physical guards and stayed in almost every game that they played during the year.

If true CJs transfer starts to make more sense.
Not sure if

I was told this by a player’s family member. They had a team meeting last week and it was dIscussed.
The idea is to get Jordan to do what he does best... shoot! No responsibilities of bringing the ball up, setting the offense up, just run the motion required in the 2 guard position. This is what has been shared with me.
Can JBo still run the point in a pinch.. yes, of course. Will he be the first choice to handle the ball with the game on the line.... probably. Will he be option # 1 to receive an inbounds pass in a tight game when trying to salt a win away... it would make sense.

Not sure if

I was told this by a player’s family member. They had a team meeting last week and it was dIscussed.
The idea is to get Jordan to do what he does best... shoot! No responsibilities of bringing the ball up, setting the offense up, just run the motion required in the 2 guard position. This is what has been shared with me.
Can JBo still run the point in a pinch.. yes, of course. Will he be the first choice to handle the ball with the game on the line.... probably. Will he be option # 1 to receive an inbounds pass in a tight game when trying to salt a win away... it would make sense.
I don't trust Fran to follow through on that plan.

I think he's playing with fire in multiple ways and for not much potential reward if any.

I don't trust Fran to follow through on that plan.

I think he's playing with fire in multiple ways and for not much potential reward if any.
Yeah, I get it. IMO, it’s time for our two other point guards on the roster to shine. I like the benefits they provide athletically with the potential to get to the lane and get JBo and our other perimeter guys kick outs.

Like most of us, I want to see Fran’s offense run by an athletic point guard that can play fast and guard the shit out of an opposing guard. I think we will see that with Joe T and A Ullis. I am really excited to see Ullis play this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT