ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Jordan Bohannon News

Well I have to say that at first I was upset and disappointed but then read the article....if he’s really coming back to play that role at the 2....I’m ok with this. Provided he puts in an effort on defense or Fran pulls him if he’s not willing to.

And maybe try to not seek as much attention on Twitter during the season.

Unfortunately, you are not gonna get JBo to shut up on:
* His podcasts
* Twitter
* NIL. He will be talking about this nonstop.

Reactions: RocknRollface
No retweet’s from the JoeT, Ulis or Perkins yet. I really hope Fran has talked to them and none of them leave.

According to Chad’s article about why Jordan is coming back, Fran told Jordan that the players on the team wanted Jordan to come back. It does not say whether or not any of the players reached out to Jordan though. We will find out. Ultimately, Jordan will hopefully be taking CJ’s minutes so hopefully there is minimal impact on the other guards.

Injuries yes , I'm not sure the turnaround mattered.

Oregon was a bad matchup for Iowa because they play 5 out. There was no one for Luka to guard and with him being extended out there was no help for JBO.

Still there was a lot of luck with Oregon hitting so many 3s.

Figueroa hitting all those 3s was about as likely as the Msu game where Connor went off from 3. They are similar 3pt percentage shooters.
Mostly agree. It was a combination of factors, with Oregon getting a COVID bye vs. Iowa's turnaround probably playing some role. IIRC, in every conference tournament this year and the NCAA tournament, every team receiving a COVID bye won its next game.

Reactions: mstp1992
Again, after consulting with Margaret;

Joe T
JBo
Patrick!!!
Connor!!!

Filip

Both Joe T and JBO will get killed defensively by guards taller then them either playing man to man or in a zone. Neither of them will be able to guard players 6-3 or taller.

Everyone has speedy guards compared to JBO.

In order to play high level defense you need your guards to be able to switch. You can't just hide a player anymore. Everyone knows how to isolate a weakness.

Im guessing Fran will end up playing zone more often now and they'll be mediocre again.
I think next year will be different. Guards that can get by JBo in a man defense will be funnelled to Keegan, PMac, and FRebraca on the inside- much better inside D than we've seen in a while. I see mostly man, given how successful they were with it at the end of this past year (the Oregon game being the anomaly). With as good or better individual defense at 4 of the 5 positions than in 2021, I believe that you can successfully 'hide' JBo. I'm also optimistic that JBo can be a 'plus' and outscore his '2' counterpart most games.

I think next year will be different. Guards that can get by JBo in a man defense will be funnelled to Keegan, PMac, and FRebraca on the inside- much better inside D than we've seen in a while. I see mostly man, given how successful they were with it at the end of this past year (the Oregon game being the anomaly). With as good or better individual defense at 4 of the 5 positions than in 2021, I believe that you can successfully 'hide' JBo. I'm also optimistic that JBo can be a 'plus' and outscore his '2' counterpart most games.

Rebraca isn't a great defender, definitely not up to the level of Keegan or Nunge were last season.

Rebraca isn't a great defender, definitely not up to the level of Keegan or Nunge were last season.
Rebraca doesn't have to be better than Keegan, since he's playing alongside him. After Nunge went down, most of our inside options included at least two of Luka, CMac (ugh), and JoeW. Next year's inside D will be better than that, doubtless.

Rebraca doesn't have to be better than Keegan, since he's playing alongside him. After Nunge went down, most of our inside options included at least two of Luka, CMac (ugh), and JoeW. Next year's inside D will be better than that, doubtless.

Interior defense will not be stronger this year because Rebraca is here. If it's stronger it will be because of a big leap by Murray.

Garza/Nunge/Murray is a better set of defensive bigs than Rebraca/Murray/Patrick.

Garza wasn't a stellar defender, either. But, I understand your point. Rebraca is more athletic than Garza, but obviously less bulky. However, I'm intrigued by the idea of having a lineup of Rebraca, Keegan, and Patrick. I think you can make up for a lack of 'bulk' with length.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Garza wasn't a stellar defender, either. But, I understand your point. Rebraca is more athletic than Garza, but obviously less bulky. However, I'm intrigued by the idea of having a lineup of Rebraca, Keegan, and Patrick. I think you can make up for a lack of 'bulk' with length.

I think Rebraca can be an upgrade from Garza in pick and roll defense but worse than Garza on the block.

I think Rebraca can be an upgrade from Garza in pick and roll defense but worse than Garza on the block.
Oh, I completely understand. Hell, Garza had difficulty guarding players like Kofi Cockburn.

I think back to Woodbury and believe he was quite underrated as a defender. He showed you don't have to be a shot-blocker, or even particularly athletic, to be an effective post defender. He just seemed to understand positioning and anticipation quite well.

I believe the key to the Hawks' post-defense this next year will have to be a reliance on better recognition and active switching. Garza's sheer size made him formidable in the post, but there were still times that teams made easy layups behind him if others lost their man.

JBO can't guard anyone.

As far as Toussaint, well thats a completely asinine statement and obviously false given the multitude of previous evidence to the contrary.
JT might be able to "guard" someone 6 3' and taller - he just isn't going to stop them from shooting over the top of him. That was his/her point.

Toussaint is the type of defender whose constant energy and defensive pressure will take shooters out of rhythm, which is good enough for me
He's also prone to silly fouls because of this aggressiveness. I truly hope he succeeds. But past performance is the best predictor of future performance. Right now all more minutes mean is more turnovers and more fouls. I hope the pattern changes and he's not trying to force something special all the time.

Reactions: TrianglePlace
One of (probably the primary) the problems on the D side is how to cover for Bohannon. Whoever he has in man D can essentially take him off the dribble or a hard cut any time he wants. His deficiencies are somewhat easier to hide in zone, but that is hard to be effective as a team without a lot of time to practice it, effort and excellent communication.

He's also prone to silly fouls because of this aggressiveness. I truly hope he succeeds. But past performance is the best predictor of future performance. Right now all more minutes mean is more turnovers and more fouls. I hope the pattern changes and he's not trying to force something special all the time.
I’m not disagreeing with anything you said. My comment was specifically addressing the concern about his height and people shooting over him. If we’re just looking for reasons to criticize Toussaint, then yeah, there are plenty

Edit: I’d say that Iowa and Toussaint had a fair bit of success in the season where he was asked to be starting point guard... to the tune of being an NCAA tournament team. He’s two years older, and found great success against the best team Iowa played last year: Gonzaga. If past performance predicts future results, then color me optimistic.

Last edited:
Hell, Garza had difficulty guarding players like Kofi Cockburn.
The numbers say otherwise. Luka outscored Kofi in their four games 83-53 and held him to single digits twice. I think Garza got a bad rap for his defense. There were a lot of balleyhood bigs that Garza faced that came out of the game thinking Luka's defense was just fine.

Last edited:
The numbers say otherwise. Luka outscored Kofi in their four game 83-53 and held him to single digits twice. I think Garza got a bad rap for his defense. There were a lot of balleyhood bigs that Garza faced that came out of the game thinking Luka's defense was just fine.
Could be a recency bias as well. I remember how well Cockburn played in the Big Ten tournament game (26 pts, 8 reb).

The numbers say otherwise. Luka outscored Kofi in their four game 83-53 and held him to single digits twice. I think Garza got a bad rap for his defense. There were a lot of balleyhood bigs that Garza faced that came out of the game thinking Luka's defense was just fine.

Garza did fine against big body slower centers like Kofi where he could use his size to body up. He really struggled against smaller, quicker, athletic centers. Garza's defensive instincts and body positioning were good. He just lacked the quickness to get to spots and react at times.

Garza did fine against big body slower centers like Kofi where he could use his size to body up. He really struggled against smaller, quicker, athletic centers. Garza's defensive instincts and body positioning were good. He just lacked the quickness to get to spots and react at times.
Agreed. He also was risk-averse regarding fouls. He needed to stay on the floor.

The numbers say otherwise. Luka outscored Kofi in their four games 83-53 and held him to single digits twice. I think Garza got a bad rap for his defense. There were a lot of balleyhood bigs that Garza faced that came out of the game thinking Luka's defense was just fine.
Totally agree with your point on Luka getting a bad rap on his defense. I didn't see people going around him on a regular basis in pick and roll situations. Luka may not have the quickest feet, but his footwork on offense and defense is really good.

Reactions: Ronman
Imagine if Fran would have pulled a guard from the portal that shot 40% from the arc, 90% from the line, and had a 3-to-1 assist to turnover ratio in a major conference. I think most fans would be happy with that. That's the way I choose to view JBO coming back.

I agree with this. I'm also intrigued by Jordan playing the 2. With CJ's departure and Weezy likely moving on, JBo coming back is a godsend. I don't think Fran would have done better landing a guard in the portal, so I'm just going to be appreciative and bite my tongue the best I can when Iowa is on defense. Lol

Reactions: AlvySinger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT