ADVERTISEMENT

Post bowl game quote by KF says it all . . .

I hate the conservative approach - it’s flat out boring. “Conservative” to describe Kirk is being generous - he doesn’t care about offensive production.

I’m beyond ready for a new head coach with a different mindset.

Wow…Lincoln Riley needs more fans! They might have lost a few today. And they play really good offense always, He’s just never fielded a good defense ever.

You guys would be a perfect fit!

Lol in the Pac-12

He lacks perspective… hell if he’s been following Lincoln Riley as a fan the last 10 years he’s mad as hell right now because they can’t stop anyone… That’s just how his type is!

There have been many great defenses in the Ferentz-era, and this year's was the best of the bunch, and we only went 8-5.

Ferentz is clearly a very good coach, and in general an 8-win season is nothing to complain about. However, it is pretty maddening to see him fail to even acknowledge glaring issues with the offense. The offensive production has been an issue for a long time, and it has now reached a catastrophic level. Even if we ignore the last couple years of putrid production, Iowa has not finished in the top 4 in the Big Ten in rushing yards since 2008. The Iowa coaching staff tells everyone that their offensive identity is predicated on running the football, and yet we are only 1 of 4 Big Ten teams that has failed to crack the top 4 in the conference in rushing since 2008 (Rutgers, Purdue, and Michigan State are the others).

I'm actually okay with a conservative offense. We have perhaps the best defensive coordinator in the country, and we don't need a high-tempo spread offense. But the run game has been an issue for well over 10 years now, and they have not changed anything to address it.

For all the great things Ferentz does/has done, he is way too reluctant to make changes. Like everything, there's a balance to be struck. Some coaches are way too quick to make changes just for the sake of making a change. But no head coach in the country would simply accept the results of a historically bad offense without making changes to the coaching staff. No other coach would have sat back and watched Petras play horrible football for 3 years without seeing what we might get from another QB. Ferentz is a far outlier in unwillingness to change, and that is extremely frustrating to watch when it is so clear that change is sorely needed.
Im surprised with msu there. I figured with the season walker had a couple seasons ago they would've been

I'd say that philosophy has worked pretty well for him over the years.
Really? 24 years as head coach. Zero outright BT championships. 2 shared BT championships, last one was almost 20 years ago, 2 BTCG appearances (0-2). Sounds to me like nearly two and a half decades of above average.
I get it that Kirk is an honorable guy and there has never been the slightest hint of any improper recruitment, but that just means we’re behind the curve now that all the illegal things everyone had been doing are now legal.

Reactions: DewHawk
Wow…Lincoln Riley needs more fans! They might have lost a few today. And they play really good offense always, He’s just never fielded a good defense ever.

I doubt USC loses too many fans but it’s amazing how bad his teams are defensively.

.700 winning percentage the last 8 years.

I'm not saying it's fun to watch. I'm saying it's been pretty successful.
This is exactly the reason I'm saying he has a goal in Iowa to hit seven wins every year if he hits more it's just gravy but seven minimum

Reactions: DewHawk

I’d probably look good in that red and yellow Trojan get-up. I’ll think about it.

Reactions: cmhawks99
. . . about his coaching philosophy.

“I’m not the smartest guy in the world,” Ferentz said. “One thing I’ve learned: If they can’t score, then you got a shot that you’re not going to lose. I know that. So if we could’ve written the script, it was perfect. Just really happy.”​
It's not: "If we can score, then we got a shot at winning." It's not geared towards scoring and winning, but not losing by giving up too many points.

And it's not that it was described as something merely good, and makes him content, but this script is described as "perfect" and not losing that way makes him "very happy."

I'm not even really knocking it. It just shows his super risk averse philosophy of doing whatever it takes to not lose, versus doing what it takes to win.

It's the Ferentz Fear Factor at its finest.
Twenty years of “We’re not sexy”.

“I’m not the smartest guy in the world,” Ferentz said. “One thing I’ve learned: If they can’t score, then you got a shot that you’re not going to lose. I know that. So if we could’ve written the script, it was perfect. Just really happy.”​
It's not: "If we can score, then we got a shot at winning." It's not geared towards scoring and winning, but not losing by giving up too many points.

And it's not that it was described as something merely good, and makes him content, but this script is described as "perfect" and not losing that way makes him "very happy."

I'm not even really knocking it. It just shows his super risk averse philosophy of doing whatever it takes to not lose, versus doing what it takes to win.

I think you are taking his quote somewhat out of context. If your defense doesn't allow the other team to score, you will probably win 99.9% of the time. He was just talking about defense and shutting teams out means you should win. I would love to not allow the other team to score every game as well.

"Offense is the enemy".

Good grief. He just won a bowl game against an opponent that beat them last year, coached by a former player, a shut out by an awesome defense, 2 pick sixes by young budding stars, great games by his senior players that made it very clear they were playing because of their love for the program, etc, etc ... and he had the nerve to say he was happy. I'm amazed he didn't choose that opportunity to vent about the offense - which he obviously knows is deficient (either that or we're getting these portal transfers by accident).

My apologies if this is asking for too much, but If we would have had just an average offense, Iowa would have finished at least 10-2 in the regular season and would have played in the B1G Championship game. Maybe it's just me, but I would have preferred that over 7-5. ;)
This right here.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Really? 24 years as head coach. Zero outright BT championships. 2 shared BT championships, last one was almost 20 years ago, 2 BTCG appearances (0-2). Sounds to me like nearly two and a half decades of above average.
I get it that Kirk is an honorable guy and there has never been the slightest hint of any improper recruitment, but that just means we’re behind the curve now that all the illegal things everyone had been doing are now legal.
Hmmm 1 outright and two shared conference titles in 2 decades sounds really familiar…..

There are way too many fans in this thread talking about win% instead of big ten championships and entertainment value. There are no trophies for puntfest narrow victories against bad teams while getting blown out vs Michigan and OSU.

Seeing the clowns prance around in Kinnick while scoring only 10 points has to be one of the most miserable things to ever happen in that stadium. Where did our pride go?

Yes. We definitely got some great players for the offense next year. Don't know if anybody has noticed but I'm really excited about next season and the one after! Lol
I'm really excited too Bishop, but still very concerned about the OL.
If we cannot address that mess, we could be looking at 8 wins, with an easier schedule.
After seeing no visible improvement after the extra bowl practices for the Music City game, I'm just not too optimistic.
And I believe Barnett will stay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT