ADVERTISEMENT

Post Wrestle Off Results Here

LOL, I never even knew about that.
Yep. Troy finished 5th at NCAA’s March of 90. In the wrestle offs fall of 90, Ryan beat him but Gable stuck with Troy. Troy took 3rd that year and Ryan followed Tuna out to Oregon State. He won a PAC 8/10 (whatever it was back then) title or two but never won more than 1 match at NCAA’s. Don’t get me wrong here as I love Sugai. I owe him more than he will ever know but it’s a prime example of why wrestle offs at the college level mean absolutely nothing.

Reactions: letsgohawks44
We better get goobers opinion on this matter. He’s batting a pretty high average as of late.

200.gif

He was right about the most important off-season news - A lot of big signings are forthcoming. Believe he called that about a month ago and look what has happened since then. I'll take it!

Agreed. What are these boards for if not for discussion/rumors etc. In fact, it wasn't the first time I heard the rumor about the supposed M.Eierman disdain for Iowa Style. Turns out, that narrative was B.S. and its exactly why staffs do not like message boards/social media. Did you hear that he was going to be given a job at ISU? I think that all started as a joke on the PSU board (think Nate Carr). Saw it on Twitter, Cy Forum, Facebook, Insta and a few other forums. Plus, maybe some wishful thinking that the Iowa rumor wasn't true. I am guessing Gobblin heard it from somebody inside a room (not necessarily Iowa) who probably was snookered by that too. Who knows.

These things change at a fast pace and its only going to get quicker. It's a recruit's market now. We were slow to adapt and it cost us a cycle of being in contention. @TarpHawk was talking about the next big thing and the transfer market is it. Tom and the staff have adapted and are ahead of the power curve in this instance.

No he won’t

Possibly. Being dinged up isn’t helping things along, but it’s very much been/being discussed. Like I said, the season pretty much starts at Midlands... Let’s see how things unfold there and then discuss this.

I believe theres going to be some major battles and if some heads dont get in the game and look to score bonus points then they might ride bench.

Reactions: Gobblin
He had no choice in that match. With the pressure Dean was putting on him he had to shoot or get stalled out. I agree with you. I wish he had to wrestle every match like he is about to be stalled out. Maybe he could start all of his matches with a warning and 1 stall point against him.

Lets put Gable in his corner for every match. He can start yelling at the ref "He's stalling!!!"

Agreed. What are these boards for if not for discussion/rumors etc. In fact, it wasn't the first time I heard the rumor about the supposed M.Eierman disdain for Iowa Style. Turns out, that narrative was B.S. and its exactly why staffs do not like message boards/social media. Did you hear that he was going to be given a job at ISU? I think that all started as a joke on the PSU board (think Nate Carr). Saw it on Twitter, Cy Forum, Facebook, Insta and a few other forums. Plus, maybe some wishful thinking that the Iowa rumor wasn't true. I am guessing Gobblin heard it from somebody inside a room (not necessarily Iowa) who probably was snookered by that too. Who knows.

These things change at a fast pace and its only going to get quicker. It's a recruit's market now. We were slow to adapt and it cost us a cycle of being in contention. @TarpHawk was talking about the next big thing and the transfer market is it. Tom and the staff have adapted and are ahead of the power curve in this instance.
I would argue that our staff is winning the recruiting battle now. How is our recruiting now not at the top? Add in our transfers to our classes and we are doing very well. Add in Eierman to next year's senior class and what does that do... they have adapted to the new recruiting front and are now winning. Even some folks on the PSU board are stating that Iowa is looking very good for next season.... All I can say is nice job to the Iowa Coaching Staff. they have it all headed in the right direction.

Tom was with Jaydin ...came by smiled shook my hand said thanks for coming...Jaydin was right there...I welcomed him to Iowa and he was very nice ...really excited about this pickup.
But I dont think it stops there. Theres going to be alot of talk about Iowa loading up and wouldn't surprise me if in the next couple weeks if we dont get even more.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if a few boys from Ohio have taken notice and might be thinking about coming..maybe another Minnesota boy.

Just stop. You're getting my hopes up!;)

Was just reviewing the wrestle-off results again.

At the start of my second year at Iowa I was finally making some progress, went 2-2 at Sunkist, lost to Cross 12-7 and was ahead of Glover by 1 going into the final minute. Afterwards I said to Gable, "I'm getting better. I'm going to be good in a year or two." He said, "No, you need to be good now. You can't wait." It wiped the smile off my face and reinforced the sense of urgency--stop piddling around. You don't get brownie points for losing.

To Turk: You're still wrestling like a guy who thinks he has all the time in the world to achieve his goals. Last week you proved what? That you can hang with the 8th place guy? So what? We don't need a guy who can eke out a 1-point victory over our 8th place starter; that nets us one team point. We need a guy who'll be wrestling Saturday night. If that's you, prove it already; you're out of runway.

To Assad: You get a break for it being your first public match as a Hawkeye, against the fifth-year senior. But that's done now. The test was to beat him, not to keep it close. You need to wrestle like you're going to win the whole thing as a true freshman. Don't put Wilcke on a pedestal. Beat him by eight, check the box, and move forward. Put yourself on the map now.

Lugo and Wilcke: Shame on you guys for letting these dudes come onto your turf and pee on your grass. A team title rests largely on the shoulders of you guys being in the top 4, not hanging out down there in the round of 12 hoping to celebrate an 8th place finish.

Lugo and Wilcke: Shame on you guys for letting these dudes come onto your turf and pee on your grass. A team title rests largely on the shoulders of you guys being in the top 4, not hanging out down there in the round of 12 hoping to celebrate an 8th place finish.

Yes,yes, yes, yes. I said basically this same thing on one of these threads just last week. These are the two guys that are going to make our break our championship run imo. The time is certainly now! As Yoda (basically) said, the time for trying is over, those guys have to either "Do" or "Don't Do" because it's the end of the college road come March and which of those they choose is how they are going to be remembered at the most storied (sorry okst) wrestling program in the country.

Tarp the Coddler??? More like Tarp the Craddler!

All four of those guys have more talent than I ever had. Tough love. I want them to succeed!

Don't get me wrong, Tarp -- I absolutely love your perspective. Most of us know that such a mentality is often necessary to achieve high-end goals; doesn't necessarily matter who delivers the message.

Besides, it seemed like a fitting quip today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT