ADVERTISEMENT

USA Wrestling

Irishhawkeye2107

HR All-American
Jun 17, 2005
Should not allow guys to wrestle USA qualifying events once someone represents another country. Love Gomez, and happy for him. But he shouldn’t represent the USA going forward.

The wrestle for another country because I couldn’t qualify for my own fad is crappy to the guys that do qualify for the USA.

Sorry folks, Zane Richard’s is the current USA World Team member.

He won the world team trials against everyone that was there.

Arujau and Fix went up a weight and Richard’s placed ahead of everyone else.

Richard’s earned the spot and it was his to lose.

Imagine Spencer Lee winning US Nationals and the Workd Team Trials and then the USA staff picking Dayton Fix because Spencer might have bad knees…

No perfect solution, to me it is currently the most fair!

Can’t blame anyone but Lee and Richards, they own it. It’s on them…

Imagine Spencer Lee winning US Nationals and the Workd Team Trials and then the USA staff picking Dayton Fix because Spencer might have bad knees…

Gilman , Fix and Vito could've challenged Richards for the Pan Am spot but declined. Just like Yianni challenged Nick Lee

Gilman , Fix and Vito could've challenged Richards for the Pan Am spot but declined. Just like Yianni challenged Nick Lee
That was the point…

No one challenged Richard’s.
It was his spot and he earned it.

Someone needed to step up and beat him. But they didn’t.

Bummed that he didn’t get the job done, but I would rather have the team decided by “results” than by politics.

That was the point…

No one challenged Richard’s.
It was his spot and he earned it.

Someone needed to step up and beat him. But they didn’t.

Bummed that he didn’t get the job done, but I would rather have the team decided by “results” than by politics.
Agree with that . He earned the spot

Your point makes intuitive sense, but practically is not a process that guarantees we send the best person for the job of qualifying the weight. Good example, Zane has lost matches at his last three tournaments whereas Lee has won the last three tournaments. Zane had one good year and hasn't been the same since. The fairness question is something I agree with for a trial to make a World or Olympic Team. As far as qualifying the weight you pick the person that is the country's best option. That process would benefit both the country and the person that wins the trials. This can be far more discretionary and a selection by the National Staff. This is my point. This year the choice was terrible and now we have two of six weights not even qualified for the Olympics. To answer your question above:: if the US Coaches watched a practice that had Fix and Lee in it and Lee's knees were acting up and they sent a healthy Daton that looked better to qualify the weight--no issues. I wouldn't say the same for earning the spot on the World Team or Olympic Team. My point is focused on the Olympic Qualifying weight class process. This should be far more discretionary. USA Wrestling did a horrid job setting this process in motion. Think about it. Full time professionals are paid a good wage with a primary job goal of Olympic and World team performance. Despite working full time on this endeavor, this is the best they can come up with. I think we can and should do better.

Your point makes intuitive sense, but practically is not a process that guarantees we send the best person for the job of qualifying the weight. Good example, Zane has lost matches at his last three tournaments whereas Lee has won the last three tournaments. Zane had one good year and hasn't been the same since. The fairness question is something I agree with for a trial to make a World or Olympic Team. As far as qualifying the weight you pick the person that is the country's best option. That process would benefit both the country and the person that wins the trials. This can be far more discretionary and a selection by the National Staff. This is my point. This year the choice was terrible and now we have two of six weights not even qualified for the Olympics. To answer your question above:: if the US Coaches watched a practice that had Fix and Lee in it and Lee's knees were acting up and they sent a healthy Daton that looked better to qualify the weight--no issues. I wouldn't say the same for earning the spot on the World Team or Olympic Team. My point is focused on the Olympic Qualifying weight class process. This should be far more discretionary. USA Wrestling did a horrid job setting this process in motion. Think about it. Full time professionals are paid a good wage with a primary job goal of Olympic and World team performance. Despite working full time on this endeavor, this is the best they can come up with. I think we can and should do better.
Spencer hasn't wrestled an international SR level event before Pan Ams since when ? Winning in America isn't the same the guys who were available to challenge including Zane have all had SR level international success. Zane went overseas and competed and Spencer hasn't. We have a process and just because people don't like the process that doesn't mean we should start handpicking our teams. If you want to say we should just have picked Spencer then you're saying we don't need trials or anything just pick. We live in America and we get what we earn

I don’t disagree with anything you said.

I don’t like the current process other than it is clearly define and not subjective.

In my “example” of Spencer’s knee being hurt and picking Vito or Dayton… I meant that there was no clear evidence that he was hurt, just the powers that be didn’t want Lee so they choose one of the others.

The US Nationals is well before the Pan Am Qualifier, they could use the champion from that.

At least then, we would be sure to have someone that is wrestling well “this year” rather than going on last years performance.

But get the process locked down on paper so there is no ambiguity.

Reactions: Tcalumet and eb05
I don’t disagree with anything you said.

I don’t like the current process other than it is clearly define and not subjective.

In my “example” of Spencer’s knee being hurt and picking Vito or Dayton… I meant that there was no clear evidence that he was hurt, just the powers that be didn’t want Lee so they choose one of the others.

The US Nationals is well before the Pan Am Qualifier, they could use the champion from that.

At least then, we would be sure to have someone that is wrestling well “this year” rather than going on last years performance.

But get the process locked down on paper so there is no ambiguity.
The US nationals bracket that had Spencer and Megaludis in it ? Nobody who was top 3 on the ladder competed. Now maybe in the future they could say if everyone declines the challenge then the US Nationals winner could challenge. But just picking a guy because fans of one team thinks he's the best isn't the answer. And that guy hasn't competed internationally in years. And I like Spencer but we can't start picking. And nobody picked Daton or Vito they earned it by being world team members while Spencer chose to not do Freestyle for years

• Haha
Reactions: acuhawk
Agree with that . He earned the spot

my problem with it was that he earned last years spot not this years. i said it the other thread but i think they need to get the olympic reps determined before the qualifiers. move up the timeline to trials in feb during olympic years only.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Using this years US Nationals was an example of a criteria they could use.

I like Lee but that’s not the point.

According to the current process Richard’s earned the spot.

Fix and Vito have limited to no success internationally at 57kg.

I would much rather have it remain the same than have spots chosen.

Reactions: Gutt15
Using this years US Nationals was an example of a criteria they could use.

I like Lee but that’s not the point.

According to the current process Richard’s earned the spot.

Fix and Vito have limited to no success internationally at 57kg.

I would much rather have it remain the same than have spots chosen.

agreed. choosing spots is a terrible idea.

Spencer hasn't wrestled an international SR level event before Pan Ams since when ? Winning in America isn't the same the guys who were available to challenge including Zane have all had SR level international success. Zane went overseas and competed and Spencer hasn't. We have a process and just because people don't like the process that doesn't mean we should start handpicking our teams. If you want to say we should just have picked Spencer then you're saying we don't need trials or anything just pick. We live in America and we get what we earn
I guess you're not counting the Bill Farrell which was a Senior International event. Or did you simply forget? It was earlier this year, oh, wait, the same year as our qualifying event? Where the tournament is held at is immaterial. It was an international Senior level event. No, I am not saying just pick a certain athlete, I am saying pick the best person, at the time, to qualify the weight. The Russians have been doing this for years, which is why they always have a full team. Maybe we can learn something. I agree with Bhabbaganoosh, at least then we would be sure to have someone wrestling well "this year" rather than going off of a result from a year ago. Or we could take your approach and, well, look at the results, and keep doing the same thing to get the same type of failure--isn't that a form of insanity? Again, I understand this is hard to comprehend, but this is only for the weight qualification process. I agree we need a solid process for the world and Olympic team. Once earned, then it's the spot for that person that qualified and then wins the trials. To qualify the weight, yes, I am okay with discretion--100%. Our current process doesn't take into consideration, the athletes current state of mind. Maybe Zane had a great year, but has been struggling with weight, or health or motivation, who knows but all of this should be considered in the weight qualification process. Now we have one event left in Turkey for a weight that we have multiple age group and senior level world medalists and is one of our strongest weights--not qualified. But we want to argue our process worked and should be continued?

my problem with it was that he earned last years spot not this years. i said it the other thread but i think they need to get the olympic reps determined before the qualifiers. move up the timeline to trials in feb during olympic years only.
No fans would attend the trials in the middle of the college season. And determining our Olympic team 6 months out just for a qualifier I don't believe is the answer. Many guys help with college programs and aren't ready in February. And 4 of our 6 weights are already qualified so changing the whole process isn't worth it for qualification.

I guess you're not counting the Bill Farrell which was a Senior International event. Or did you simply forget? It was earlier this year, oh, wait, the same year as our qualifying event? Where the tournament is held at is immaterial. It was an international Senior level event. No, I am not saying just pick a certain athlete, I am saying pick the best person, at the time, to qualify the weight. The Russians have been doing this for years, which is why they always have a full team. Maybe we can learn something. I agree with Bhabbaganoosh, at least then we would be sure to have someone wrestling well "this year" rather than going off of a result from a year ago. Or we could take your approach and, well, look at the results, and keep doing the same thing to get the same type of failure--isn't that a form of insanity? Again, I understand this is hard to comprehend, but this is only for the weight qualification process. I agree we need a solid process for the world and Olympic team. Once earned, then it's the spot for that person that qualified and then wins the trials. To qualify the weight, yes, I am okay with discretion--100%. Our current process doesn't take into consideration, the athletes current state of mind. Maybe Zane had a great year, but has been struggling with weight, or health or motivation, who knows but all of this should be considered in the weight qualification process. Now we have one event left in Turkey for a weight that we have multiple age group and senior level world medalists and is one of our strongest weights--not qualified. But we want to argue our process worked and should be continued?
I know the Farrell is "international" but typically nobody worthy show up. And he beat Megaludis who's a business man and doesn't even train full time. Just because we didn't qualify a weight at Pan Ams which has happened before we shouldn't change the whole process. I get that people think Spencer is the best guy. He can win trials and then go win the last chance world qualifier. So if what you think is true you've no worries and Spencer will get it done. But to change the whole process because we didn't qualify 2 weights when we already have 4 weights qualified isn't the answer. You realize whoever qualifies the weight is the #1 seed at trials ? So your handpicking the #1 seed basically. We earn seeds in wrestling

Did Zane actually have a good year?? Seems like he got “hot” at the right time through trials and final x and that was about it. I’m not certain he’s ever been real successful internationally.

Reactions: acuhawk and Chips28
Did Zane actually have a good year?? Seems like he got “hot” at the right time through trials and final x and that was about it. I’m not certain he’s ever been real successful internationally.
He's lost to quality international guys this year while Spencer beat Megaludis. And Spencer wrestled no international guys before Pan ams. This is the 1st time 3 guys declined the challenge matches. So I'm ok with saying in the future if that happens again then the US nationals winner can challenge for the spot. But we can't just do the eyeball test and pick. What do people want a twitter poll deciding the guy

• Haha
No fans would attend the trials in the middle of the college season. And determining our Olympic team 6 months out just for a qualifier I don't believe is the answer. Many guys help with college programs and aren't ready in February. And 4 of our 6 weights are already qualified so changing the whole process isn't worth it for qualification.

the other spots have been qualified at worlds pretty consistently. i think it is worth changing the whole qualifier process for 33% of the spots. we have not had a great success rate at pan ams over the last 3-4 cycles, especially given the quality of the field.

i’m just tired of using the college season as a barrier to the international schedule. pretty much every major program has an rtc coach and the wrestlers have olympic redshirts. if the college programs want to they can schedule their duals around the trials.

here’s a better idea from a fan perspective with this year as an example, hold a final 4 style dual national championship on let’s say friday feb 9th. feb 10-12 hold the olympic team qualifier. do it all at one location and it’s a huge event that draws a crowd.

the other spots have been qualified at worlds pretty consistently. i think it is worth changing the whole qualifier process for 33% of the spots. we have not had a great success rate at pan ams over the last 3-4 cycles, especially given the quality of the field.

i’m just tired of using the college season as a barrier to the international schedule. pretty much every major program has an rtc coach and the wrestlers have olympic redshirts. if the college programs want to they can schedule their duals around the trials.

here’s a better idea from a fan perspective with this year as an example, hold a final 4 style dual national championship on let’s say friday feb 9th. feb 10-12 hold the olympic team qualifier. do it all at one location and it’s a huge event that draws a crowd.
A dual national championship is a whole different argument and I'm not in favor of it at all. UsaW has had great success lately and we have been the best in the World and now our system sucks because we didn't qualify 2 weights. We have never been better it's not time for panic. We have a good process and system. Whoever wins trials will go and try to qualify at the last chance.

Reactions: eb05
A dual national championship is a whole different argument and I'm not in favor of it at all. UsaW has had great success lately and we have been the best in the World and now our system sucks because we didn't qualify 2 weights. We have never been better it's not time for panic. We have a good process and system. Whoever wins trials will go and try to qualify at the last chance.

you are right we have been very successful but i don’t think the success is due to our process. it’s because we have some of the best talent we have ever had.

and i don’t think our system as a whole sucks. this isn’t a knee jerk reaction. pretty sure i said the same thing last cycle but i get not everyone agrees with me. let’s hope we get it done at last chance

He's lost to quality international guys this year while Spencer beat Megaludis. And Spencer wrestled no international guys before Pan ams. This is the 1st time 3 guys declined the challenge matches. So I'm ok with saying in the future if that happens again then the US nationals winner can challenge for the spot. But we can't just do the eyeball test and pick. What do people want a twitter poll deciding the guy
I wasn’t saying Spencer should have got the chance to qualify the weight. It’s unfortunate none of the guys stepped up to challenge for the spot. My main point is Zane is not real successful on the international stage. It’s not a shocker to me at all that he did not get the job done.

I wasn’t saying Spencer should have got the chance to qualify the weight. It’s unfortunate none of the guys stepped up to challenge for the spot. My main point is Zane is not real successful on the international stage. It’s not a shocker to me at all that he did not get the job done.
So who would you've sent

I'm balls deep in tax returns right now so I'm having a hard time following what's all going on.

Sounds like SL can still make it to the Olympics but has a much more difficult time doing it?

I guess here's how I look at it.

EVERYONE knew the rules going into this thing. Which means EVERYONE knew the consequences.

Which means EVERYONE including Spencer Lee could have done something different.

Correct?

If so, it's time to put up or shut up.

Go Hawks!

West2East, you need to get your facts straight. You are digging into this issue and keep espousing statements as facts to support your perspective that I keep having to correct. That's okay, let me help you out again. No problem and I don't mind the education. First round of the Farrell, Lee beat Bilal from Pakistan. Bilal has been around for a long time and placed in multiple commonwealth games at 57kg. I never suggested a Twitter poll, but the Russians take the guy they believe has the best chance. This is simply smart, because it sets the country up in the best manner possible for the person that eventually secures the spot. My argument is our current process is flawed. It needs to change. Whether it's an over exaggerated point you make to "try" to make an augment or it's a change such as the winner of Senior Nationals or some other change, our current process is broken and "bright" people, paid a full-time salary should be able to figure something better out and that is my point.

Reactions: acuhawk and Chips28
If a team member fails to medal I think that should vacate the spot and we should have a process of our top guys being required to qualify the weight instead of waiting til the last minute with a guy that isn’t medal proven. How many qualifying events have there been since worlds?

Should not allow guys to wrestle USA qualifying events once someone represents another country. Love Gomez, and happy for him. But he shouldn’t represent the USA going forward.

The wrestle for another country because I couldn’t qualify for my own fad is crappy to the guys that do qualify for the USA.
Huh? Say what? Why would I feel disrespected if I was the baddest person at that weight in the U$? Dude wrestling for Mexico isn’t taking my place and I’ll prolly beat him at the Olympics.

With that logic, you should be feeling bad for the poor Mexican kid who doesn’t get to compete for his country because a gringo took his place.

Sounds like Ya’ll Kaida striking again.

West2East, you need to get your facts straight. You are digging into this issue and keep espousing statements as facts to support your perspective that I keep having to correct. That's okay, let me help you out again. No problem and I don't mind the education. First round of the Farrell, Lee beat Bilal from Pakistan. Bilal has been around for a long time and placed in multiple commonwealth games at 57kg. I never suggested a Twitter poll, but the Russians take the guy they believe has the best chance. This is simply smart, because it sets the country up in the best manner possible for the person that eventually secures the spot. My argument is our current process is flawed. It needs to change. Whether it's an over exaggerated point you make to "try" to make an augment or it's a change such as the winner of Senior Nationals or some other change, our current process is broken and "bright" people, paid a full-time salary should be able to figure something better out and that is my point.
Commonwealth games 🛑. Spencer will have an opportunity to qualify the weight if he wins trials. He hasn't done enough currently on the SR level to earn a chance to qualify the weight

Last edited:
  • Haha
You stated that he had not wrestled a senior international match. Quit moving the line? :) You were wrong and try to come back with Commonwealth Games... International or not he has been wrestling in international competition since 2016 from what I could see. Also, you are ignoring my auguments completely. A. Who was the best option for us to qualify the weight? B. Is our current process set up to pick that person? If A. we did not pick the best option or B. our current process is not set up to pick that person, then my argument is that we should learn and change our process. As far as doing enough? He has won three more senior level events than Zain has in the year the weight has to be qualified! I don't care who wins the trials. The person that wins now has to go to Turkey when we BLEW the easiest path to qualification. What is hard to understand? Does anyone on this board think Jordan Oliver can't wrestle. Does anyone think that he was wrestling well when he won the trials? He didn't qualify the weight at the Last Chance, because it is 1. Tough and 2. anything can happen on any given day. A guy can get caught. We have all seen horrific calls, guys can get sick, hurt in the first round... How can anyone debate the point that our current process needs to change? West2East, you keep ignoring my point and want to focus on one person. I am not focusing on one person although in this instance, he would have been the better choice, but i am not focused on one person, but on the process that our paid full-time staff can't seem to get right.

Last edited:
Reactions: acuhawk and Gutt15
When I say international competition I mean legit competition. Should've clarified that . I get everyone thinking Spencer is the best guy that an opinion. We have a process everyone was well aware of prior. Spencer chose to not wrestle internationally during college and therefore he wasn't an option. He still has opportunities to qualify the weight. The process and system in place isn't broke. We are the best we have been in a longtime. Everyone will have an opportunity to qualify the weight by winning trials. If our rep can't qualify the weight at the last chance qualifier they definitely wouldn't medal at the Olympics

• Haha
This was an easy qualifier compared to the last chance. There is an easy solution, prior to the Pan Am games you have a prequalifying tournament for all that are attempting an olympic run. The winner goes to Pan Am qualifying tournament the others can go the week before.

The olympic qualifier should be a full tournament with best out of 3 finals, no byes

This was an easy qualifier compared to the last chance. There is an easy solution, prior to the Pan Am games you have a prequalifying tournament for all that are attempting an olympic run. The winner goes to Pan Am qualifying tournament the others can go the week before.

The olympic qualifier should be a full tournament with best out of 3 finals, no byes
So add another weigh in and competition? Our last few world reps Gilman,Fix and Vito didn't challenge because of that . We were supposed to have a 4 man ladder tournament yet 3 guys decided against it. Not sure that solves anything. Everyone knew the process well in advance

What about changing the OG qualifier for weights that are unqualified to pre Pan Ams. Say early February late January giving our Olympic hopeful 2 shots but leave those weights already qualified to the current process. I don’t like the idea of hand picking a guy but there was opportunity for multiple world medalist to challenge ZR and they declined.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT