ADVERTISEMENT

Predicting number of allocations for Big 10

not sure where you're getting 7-5. his record is 6-2. i had someone run the numbers. he 100% would have earned a pre allocation.
I got 7-5 from Schriever’s record at 133.
Teske was 6-2. I was talking about Schriever.

How is this not a programmed computer output? Every wrestler ranked in the coaches poll, who has the correct RPI, and who has the correct win%, should be spit out by an algorithm run exactly for those metrics. This is 2023. Coaches with proven top 20 guys, based on current ranking and prior year performance at nationals, have little incentive to get the submission correct. If PSU doesn't submit Brooks or Iowa fails to submit Teske for allocations, Brooks and Teske are not the guys who will be hurt by PSU's or Iowa's failure. Those two will get automatic bids even if they barbecue.

I realize that there is a nested egg issue here. The debacle known as the coaches poll should do the same. Rather than keeping guys like RBY and Teske off the list of potentially ranked, is there a reason that coaches cannot submit their rankings to ten spots below the published aggregate ranking and then have the centralized publisher remove from the aggregate published rankings anyone without enough wins to qualify for that week's ranking? That way, the coaches can keep submitting RBY, Yanni, and Teske without a chance of leaving the wrestler off the list entirely like RBY was this year. The idea may not work logistically or may be antithetical to those whom rank based on performance to that point in the season rather than expected finish at nationals, but 2 coaches leaving RBY off and Iowa's coaches being confused when Teske is eligible is an absolute embarrassment to college wrestling.

oh. gotcha. well, teske would have gotten an allocation for the conference
You know full well I was aware of that. Besides the fact we were discussing it on the NN board, Teske having earned an allocation on the mat but Iowa not having nominated him is the basis for the entire discussion on both boards.
How is this not a programmed computer output? Every wrestler ranked in the coaches poll, who has the correct RPI, and who has the correct win%, should be spit out by an algorithm run exactly for those metrics. This is 2023. Coaches with proven top 20 guys, based on current ranking and prior year performance at nationals, have little incentive to get the submission correct. If PSU doesn't submit Brooks or Iowa fails to submit Teske for allocations, Brooks and Teske are not the guys who will be hurt by PSU's or Iowa's failure. Those two will get automatic bids even if they barbecue.

I realize that there is a nested egg issue here. The debacle known as the coaches poll should do the same. Rather than keeping guys like RBY and Teske off the list of potentially ranked, is there a reason that coaches cannot submit their rankings to ten spots below the published aggregate ranking and then have the centralized publisher remove from the aggregate published rankings anyone without enough wins to qualify for that week's ranking? That way, the coaches can keep submitting RBY, Yanni, and Teske without a chance of leaving the wrestler off the list entirely like RBY was this year. The idea may not work logistically or may be antithetical to those whom rank based on performance to that point in the season rather than expected finish at nationals, but 2 coaches leaving RBY off and Iowa's coaches being confused when Teske is eligible is an absolute embarrassment to college wrestling.
A simpler answer might be that the coaches just do their jobs. I would imagine one reason they are being asked to contribute to the selection process is because some were bitching so much about the selection process in years past. It’s like people who don’t even take the time to vote in an election then complaining about the outcome. Do your part.

It isn’t a big ask for staffs to submit the correct name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT