ADVERTISEMENT

President Biden should not run again in 2024

Read my post again. This is a mathematical/logical exercise, not subject to opinion.

If you want to keep Trump out of office, the only thing you can do to achieve your goal is to vote for Biden. If you do not vote for Biden you have not done what is necessary to keep Trump out of office. You are behaving in a manner that suggests Trump and Biden are equals.
I also want to keep Biden out of office.

Again....you are trying to fit the scenario to fit your narrative. You don't want Trump back in office, so you automatically assume not voting is the same as voting for Trump.

You apparently missed the part where I don't want EITHER TRUMP OR BIDEN, and I won't vote for either one. Yet you are trying to tell me to vote for Biden anyway? Makes no sense mathematically or logically.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
I also want to keep Biden out of office.

Again....you are trying to fit the scenario to fit your narrative. You don't want Trump back in office, so you automatically assume not voting is the same as voting for Trump.

You apparently missed the part where I don't want EITHER TRUMP OR BIDEN, and I won't vote for either one. Yet you are trying to tell me to vote for Biden anyway? Makes no sense mathematically or logically.

Then we are back to my initial post. It is extremely irrational to equate Biden with Trump.

It is not irrational to not like either candidate. It is irrational to consider Trump and Biden to be equally bad. They are not.

It is, in fact, irrational to be so unconcerned about Trump as to be unwilling to try to prevent him from becoming President. His actions since 2020 indicate he will not simply be a bad President, he will be destructive, vengeful, and a threat to our future.
Perfectly stated and correct.

It's funny to see the guy with an eye patched dark Brandon avatar, with some retarded Phoenix behind it, concerned about "vengeance". Hello hypocrisy.

Reactions: 83Hawk
It is not irrational to not like either candidate. It is irrational to consider Trump and Biden to be equally bad. They are not.
I never said they were.

So when all is said and done, you actually agree with me.

I never said they were.

So when all is said and done, you actually agree with me.

But you are treating them as equals, because you don’t care which one becomes President. You are no more concerned that Trump be President than Biden.

But you are treating them as equals, because you don’t care which one becomes President. You are no more concerned that Trump be President than Biden.
Wrong. Don't put words in my mouth. Don't pretend you know what or how I think.

Just because I don't like them both doesn't mean I consider them equals. I don't. And your comment that "I don't care" which one becomes president is a flat-out lie. I most certainly DO care.....I care that NEITHER of them are on the ballot in 2024.

I consider my vote to be a precious commodity. I refuse to compromise my principles and cheapen my vote by voting for someone I don't like because the other candidate is worse. I don't vote against candidates....I vote FOR them. If neither are worthy of my vote, then neither will get it.

You may have a different philosophy and that's fine. You have the right to vote however you want, as do I. You cast your votes based on your own criteria and principles, and I will do the same. You may not agree with how I do it, but it's none of your business. I may not agree with how you do it, but it's none of my business either.

Continuing to argue is pointless.

I’m an independent. I voted for Biden in 2020 and if it’s Biden vs Trump I will vote Biden again.

But I don’t think he is the best choice for the next four years and I think there are better options to defeat Trump.

Thanks.
Couldn't agree more. If trumps not the nominee Biden,I feel won't run.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
Wrong. Don't put words in my mouth. Don't pretend you know what or how I think.

Just because I don't like them both doesn't mean I consider them equals. I don't. And your comment that "I don't care" which one becomes president is a flat-out lie. I most certainly DO care.....I care that NEITHER of them are on the ballot in 2024.

I consider my vote to be a precious commodity. I refuse to compromise my principles and cheapen my vote by voting for someone I don't like because the other candidate is worse. I don't vote against candidates....I vote FOR them. If neither are worthy of my vote, then neither will get it.

You may have a different philosophy and that's fine. You have the right to vote however you want, as do I. You cast your votes based on your own criteria and principles, and I will do the same. You may not agree with how I do it, but it's none of your business. I may not agree with how you do it, but it's none of my business either.

Continuing to argue is pointless.

I’m not putting words in your mouth. You are telling me why you are doing what you are doing, I’m pointing out the consequences.

When you vote for neither Trump or Biden you are treating them equally. Trump is the biggest problem we have in this country right now. If you don’t want to be part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

And, as I said, Biden is not so terrible that you shouldn’t be able to vote for him in good conscience. It is irrational to think he is that terrible.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I think it would be based as hell if Biden outlawed all Christianity except Roman Catholicism. But then let all the other non-Christian religions still have their freedom. I would definitely vote for him if he promised to do that.

I’m not putting words in your mouth. You are telling me why you are doing what you are doing, I’m pointing out the consequences.

When you vote for neither Trump or Biden you are treating them equally. Trump is the biggest problem we have in this country right now. If you don’t want to be part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

And, as I said, Biden is not so terrible that you shouldn’t be able to vote for him in good conscience. It is irrational to think he is that terrible.
That's your opinion.

Don't tell me why or how I should vote.

Voting for Biden because he's "not terrible" is irrational. And (in my opinion), dumb. I have said before....I don't vote AGAINST a candidate, I vote FOR them. I also refuse to vote for someone because he's "not as bad" as the other person. People who vote for someone they don't really like because they are not as bad as the other person are the ones who are "part of the problem"!

I don't want Trump anywhere near the White House. He's a bad person. But the biggest problem we have in our country? Hardly.

I'm not a hyperpartisan Party sycophant like many on this board. I have reasons as to why I won't vote for Trump, and I have reasons why I won't for Biden.

I have higher standards than most when it comes to how I use my vote. And I sure won't compromise those standards because some guy on an internet message board doesn't agree with me.

Again.... don't tell me why or how I should vote.

I'm not voting for Trump. Period. End of story. I'm not voting for Biden. Period. End of story. Hopefully one or both are not on the ballot in November.

Have a nice day!

That's your opinion.

Voting for Biden because he's "not terrible" is irrational. And (in my opinion), dumb. I have said before....I don't vote AGAINST a candidate, I vote FOR them. I also refuse to vote for someone because he's "not as bad" as the other person. People who vote for someone they don't really like because they are not as bad as the other person are the ones who are "part of the problem"!

I don't want Trump anywhere near the White House. He's a bad person. But the biggest problem we have in our country? Hardly.

I'm not a hyperpartisan Party sycophant like many on this board. I have reasons as to why I won't vote for Trump, and I have reasons why I won't for Biden.

I have higher standards than most when it comes to how I use my vote. And I sure won't compromise those standards because some guy on an internet message board doesn't agree with me.

I'm not voting for Trump. Period. End of story. I'm not voting for Biden. Period. End of story. Hopefully one or both are not on the ballot in November.

Have a nice day!
Great post

That's your opinion.

Have a nice day!

Of course I can tell you how you should vote. This is how democracy works - there is a national conversation about what we should do, and every citizen ought to express their opinion and try to persuade others to do the right thing.

As for voting “for” or “against” a candidate, I see little need for the distinction other than the level of personal satisfaction it brings to you. In the primary you vote for your most ideal candidate - or at least the best of who is running. In the general election you vote for the preferable of the two candidates. You vote for what will be best for the country.

If both candidates are equally bad you can legitimately argue there is no point in voting. But if one candidate is a bigger threat, you are ethically obliged to vote for the opponent. If you don’t, you aren’t demonstrating a higher standard. You are demonstrating a willful disregard for your duty as a citizen.

So unless you think Biden is every bit as bad as Trump, you are shirking your duty if you don’t vote for Biden.

Of course I can tell you how you should vote. This is how democracy works - there is a national conversation about what we should do, and every citizen ought to express their opinion and try to persuade others to do the right thing.

As for voting “for” or “against” a candidate, I see little need for the distinction other than the level of personal satisfaction it brings to you. In the primary you vote for your most ideal candidate - or at least the best of who is running. In the general election you vote for the preferable of the two candidates. You vote for what will be best for the country.

If both candidates are equally bad you can legitimately argue there is no point in voting. But if one candidate is a bigger threat, you are ethically obliged to vote for the opponent. If you don’t, you aren’t demonstrating a higher standard. You are demonstrating a willful disregard for your duty as a citizen.

So unless you think Biden is every bit as bad as Trump, you are shirking your duty if you don’t vote for Biden.
Bingo. This isn't remotely difficult.

It’s just another variation of “Both sides!”

I’ve made known I am not thrilled with Biden and would prefer he not run. But if it’s Biden v. Trump, the choice couldn’t be easier.

Joe Biden launched his candidacy for president in 2019 with the words “we are in the battle for the soul of this nation.” He was right. And though it wasn’t obvious at first to many Democrats, he was the best person to wage that fight. He was a genial but also shrewd campaigner for the restoration of what legislators call “regular order.”

Since then, Biden has had a remarkable string of wins. He defeated President Donald Trump in the 2020 election; he led a Democratic rebuff of Trump’s acolytes in the 2022 midterms; his Justice Department has systematically prosecuted the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection that Trump championed and, now, through special counsel Jack Smith, the department is bringing Trump himself to justice.
What I admire most about President Biden is that in a polarized nation, he has governed from the center out, as he promised in his victory speech. With an unexpectedly steady hand, he passed some of the most important domestic legislation in recent decades. In foreign policy, he managed the delicate balance of helping Ukraine fight Russia without getting America itself into a war. In sum, he has been a successful and effective president.
But I don’t think Biden and Vice President Harris should run for reelection. It’s painful to say that, given my admiration for much of what they have accomplished. But if he and Harris campaign together in 2024, I think Biden risks undoing his greatest achievement — which was stopping Trump.

Biden wrote his political testament in his inaugural address: “When our days are through, our children and our children’s children will say of us: They gave their best, they did their duty, they healed a broken land.” Mr. President, maybe this is that moment when duty has been served.
Biden would carry two big liabilities into a 2024 campaign. He would be 82 when he began a second term. According to a recent Associated Press-NORC poll, 77 percent of the public, including 69 percent of Democrats, think he’s too old to be effective for four more years. Biden’s age isn’t just a Fox News trope; it’s been the subject of dinner-table conversations across America this summer.

Because of their concerns about Biden’s age, voters would sensibly focus on his presumptive running mate, Harris. She is less popular than Biden, with a 39.5 percent approval rating, according topolling website FiveThirtyEight. Harris has many laudable qualities, but the simple fact is that she has failed to gain traction in the country or even within her own party.
Biden could encourage a more open vice-presidential selection process that could produce a stronger running mate. There are many good alternatives, starting with now-Mayor of Los Angeles Karen Bass, whom I wish Biden had chosen in the first place, or Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo. But breaking up the ticket would be a free-for-all that could alienate Black women, a key constituency. Biden might end up more vulnerable.
Politicians who know Biden well say that if he were convinced that Trump were truly vanquished, he would feel he had accomplished his political mission. He will run again if he believes in his gut that Trump will be the GOP nominee and that he has the best chance to defeat Trump and save the country from the nightmare of a revenge presidency.

Biden has never been good at saying no. He should have resisted the choice of Harris, who was a colleague of his beloved son Beau when they were both state attorneys general. He should have blocked then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan, which has done considerable damage to the island’s security. He should have stopped his son Hunter from joining the board of a Ukrainian gas company and representing companies in China — and he certainly should have resisted Hunter’s attempts to impress clients by getting Dad on the phone.
Biden has another chance to say no — to himself, this time — by withdrawing from the 2024 race. It might not be in character for Biden, but it would be a wise choice for the country.
Biden has in many ways remade himself as president. He is no longer the garrulous glad-hander I met when I first covered Congress more than four decades ago. He’s still an old-time pol, to be sure, but he is now more focused and strategic; he executes policies systematically, at home and abroad. As Franklin Foer writes in “The Last Politician,” a new account of Biden’s presidency, “he will be remembered as the old hack who could.”
Time is running out. In a month or so, this decision will be cast in stone. It will be too late for other Democrats, including Harris, to test themselves in primaries and see whether they have the stuff of presidential leadership. Right now, there’s no clear alternative to Biden — no screamingly obvious replacement waiting in the wings. That might be the decider for Biden, that there’s seemingly nobody else. But maybe he will trust in democracy to discover new leadership, “in the arena.”
I hope Biden has this conversation with himself about whether to run, and that he levels with the country about it. It would focus the 2024 campaign. Who is the best person to stop Trump? That was the question when Biden decided to run in 2019, and it’s still the essential test of a Democratic nominee today.

So, a person championing a nitwit autocratic buffoon Florida Governor for months decides to post a message recommending Biden not be elected. Remind me again whether or not I should heed the call.

Both candidates can be equally bad for America but for very different reasons.

So, a person championing a nitwit autocratic buffoon Florida Governor for months decides to post a message recommending Biden not be elected. Remind me again whether or not I should heed the call.
Actually it's an article arguing he shouldn't run again. It's pretty obvious you didn't read it because it's complimentary about his accomplishments as President.

I've been off the Ron train since he signed the 6 week abortion ban.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT