ADVERTISEMENT

Public Favorability Towards Sports Collapsing

Consume feces OP.

NBA TV Ratings For Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets Series Best Of Playoffs
Shlomo SprungSenior Contributor

SportsMoney
I'm a senior contributor covering the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, soccer, esports and more.

The last two matchups between LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers and James Harden and the ... [+]

ASSOCIATED PRESS
The NBA is drawing its biggest TV ratings of the playoffs during the Western Conference semifinal series between the Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets.

Tuesday’s Game 3, a 112-102 Lakers win, drew an average of 4.65 million viewers to TNT, the NBA said on Thursday. It was the second-most watched game since the league restarted at the end of July, only behind Los Angeles’ win over Houston in Game 2 of the series Sunday night on ABC.

The game drew the largest audience of the night among adults 18-49 and men 18-49. A total 1.85 million men ages 18-49 watched LeBron James scored 36 points, the most-viewed TV program in that demographic since the third episode of “The Last Dance” aired on ESPN on April 26, per the league.

Sunday’s game on ABC was the most viewed NBA game on TV since Christmas day, averaging 5.43 million viewers and a 2.9 rating. It was the first Sunday night postseason game aired on ABC since 2002, per Sports Media Watch. Those numbers still pale in comparison to Saturday’s Kentucky Derby, which averaged 8.3 million viewers.

The ABC game was also slightly lower in overall average viewership than the Oklahoma-Houston college football game on the Sunday night of Labor Day weekend in 2019, but the NBA won out bigtime in the key 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54 demographics, per Sports Media Watch.

Though lower than other sports like the NFL, NBA TV ratings and their recent decline in the U.S. have been highly politicized of late for better and for worse, though they seem to be doing better internationally.

But the starpower of James, Anthony Davis and the Lakers combined with Houston superstars James Harden and Russell Westbrook seems to be moving the needle more than any other series in the NBA playoffs thus far. With Giannis Antetokounmpo and the Milwaukee Bucks knocked out of the playoffs early by the Miami Heat, Los Angeles and Houston is the only game scheduled for Thursday. It will air at an earlier time of 7 p.m. eastern on TNT, which should end during the first half of NBC’s NFL season opener between the Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans.

Gee, I wonder why Mark Levin hates athletes?...

Curtis-Sliwa-Mark-Levin-e1579794933463.jpg

Thursday Night:
US Open Tennis - Serena going for the record
Texans/Chiefs
Miami/UAB
Rockets/Lakers Playoff
Six MLB games
Golden Knights/Stars Playoff OT
Various Soccer

Keep pretending it was political.
nobody cares about any of those except the nfl. and that one tanked because of all the political nonsense

Reactions: rocketclone
I was excited about baseball returning, desipitethe owners trying to screw the players all summer (trying to get players to play for less than 100% of their prorated salary)-- then the team I follow had games cancelled during week one because of the Cardinals. Haven't watched since.

never really watched the NBA, but was watching a bit here or there because sports.

Was watching hockey every night when the resumption took place. The derecho hit Cedar Rapids. I was fortunate to get my power back after a couple days, and cable/internet back in a week but with everything else going on in CR and trying to finish up getting assignments and exams done when my internet came back on, I just have not found any interest in watching sports.

I was getting annoyed at college football with the back and forth of playing/not playing. When the B1G10 cancelled, it killed any interest in watching college football. Even if they resume later this fall/winter or spring, I will have no interest.

I am not convinced the NFL season will be able to be completed.

When sports can get back to a point where there is not discussions of how/when/where they are going to play, I will be back. I hope its in time for college basketball. If not, hopefully its for college football 2021. I don't know if I will have as much interest in baseball going forward outside of attending an occasional mlb or going to milb games

I have no interest in anticipating a sports season if it the buildup to it is a debate on if there is even going to be able to be a season

Reactions: damayason
People are learning quickly that football is king on the collegiate level. It funds so much.

As it relates to this, Ferentz’ Twitter ban was for good reason. Right after players could start tweeting, one of them gets in a pissing match with a booster.

Coaches understand the finances of the operation. Stupid ass kids don’t.

It’s going to be a hard lesson for many.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
nobody cares about any of those except the nfl. and that one tanked because of all the political nonsense

Yeah, they do

NFL - 19.3 million (down 2.7 million)

4.8 million people watched sports that wouldn’t normally be on.

NBA playoff - 2.5 million viewers (most watched sport opposite NFL in 10 years)
US Open - 1.55 million viewers
NHL playoff - 755k

Last edited:
Thursday Night:
US Open Tennis - Serena going for the record
Texans/Chiefs
Miami/UAB
Rockets/Lakers Playoff
Six MLB games
Golden Knights/Stars Playoff OT
Various Soccer

Keep pretending it was political, and not a viewership split.
Some racist Bigots who can't stand peaceful protest and unity for change and then this.

Yeah, they do

NFL - 19.3 million (down 2.7 million)

NBA - 2.5 million viewers (most watched sport opposite NFL in 10 years)
US Open - 1.55 million viewers
NHL - 755k
Soccer and NCAAF weren’t listed

It actually looks as though it is down. I would have expected those numbers to be much higher because people looking forward to watching sports.

2.5 isn't that great of a number.

It actually looks as though it is down. I would have expected those numbers to be much higher because people looking forward to watching sports.

2.5 isn't that great of a number.

I think people willing to watch sports at 11pm on a week night is probably a fixed group.

People are learning quickly that football is king on the collegiate level. It funds so much.

As it relates to this, Ferentz’ Twitter ban was for good reason. Right after players could start tweeting, one of them gets in a pissing match with a booster.

something tells me you did not follow much of what happened over the summer. and I don't blame you if you didn't. it was garbage. but the very first thing that happened was the ban was lifted because it was perceived as being racist. because the ban was targeting minority players. the second thing that happened was they started tweeting out idiocy about joining protests and getting pepper sprayed while supporting blm. players getting pepper sprayed. instead of playing football. the third thing that happened was doyle was fired over tweets. then it all collapsed from there.

Nothing like a state institution curtailing free speech rights for profit.

and conservatives are the biggest bunch of pussy snowflakes if they bitch about what players are doing pregame.

Liberals bitching about a national anthem is top grade pathetic. If you libs could go back in time and hear yourselves know, you would question as to how F’d up in the head you have all become.

Nothing like a state institution curtailing free speech rights for profit.
actually they opened it wide up and let the idiocy spew on twitter. it was glorious. we learned that akrum wadley's mom is actually ross perot in another life. with white boards and graphs and the giant sucking sound of recruits going away from iowa.

Playing the national anthem at a sporting event is indoctrination.

The above statement illustrates exactly what I’m talking about. A few years back you wouldn’t have dreamed of thinking or saying such a thing.

The irony in all of this is that liberal news propaganda and liberal indoctrination in our education system is resulting in YOU thinking and saying such things.

The irony is so rich....

and conservatives are the biggest bunch of pussy snowflakes if they bitch about what players are doing pregame.

If this were the case I would agree, but the pregame tv and during the games, I want analysis not lectures.

Minnesota is having George's family at the game. Seriously? Why would they not have the pregnant lady he robbed? She was a victim.

Georges family used some of the money to set up some sort of foundation. Have the victims of his crimes been reimbursed with these funds. The pregnant gal is probably due a couple of million.

I see things getting fairly lopsided in some of these situations.

Reactions: lr1007
The above statement illustrates exactly what I’m talking about. A few years back you wouldn’t have dreamed of thinking or saying such a thing.

The irony in all of this is that liberal news propaganda and liberal indoctrination in our education system is resulting in YOU thinking and saying such things.

The irony is so rich....
So the anthem should be played?

The irony is so rich....
I find it interesting that cons and libs don’t have the opposite opinion on the topic of patriotism. Liberal ideology is heavily built around the idea that the state is the best way to solve big problems, yet they don’t instinctively worship the state.

Conservatism is built around the distrust and even hate for the government, yet they instinctively worship the state and think everyone else should be forced to as well.

It’s a bit paradoxical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT