ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Department of Public Safety releases statement on sports wagering investigation

Correct.

I've made my position clear from the start. See post 72.

Your position is:

“It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Two sides to every story, legalities and otherwise.”

That’s it? Gonna Switzerland it? No inkling something went wrong here?

Your position is:

“It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Two sides to every story, legalities and otherwise.”

That’s it? Gonna Switzerland it? No inkling something went wrong here?

That's for the courts to decide.

Even so, if determined legal, and if it was a fishing expedition, I don't approve.

I’m aware. What I’m trying to say - and maybe I’m not explaining this well; is that in order for someone to have a lawsuit proceed in federal court versus state or local, they have to have legal standing, that this isn’t strictly a local/state issue.

I couldn’t just sue my local PD in federal court without a good legal reason for example. It would likely get tossed and I’d be told to try again in state court or not at all.

Good question. The student athletes have something called and injury in fact which is one of the key components a federal court will evaluate in relation to standing. These athletes were in fact injured by the actions of the state

For example, in Laird v. Tatum, the Court held that plaintiffs challenging a domestic surveillance program lacked standing when their alleged injury stemmed from a "subjective chill," as opposed to a "claim of specific present objective harm or a threat of specific future harm."39 And in Spokeo, Inc. v. Robins, the Court explained that a concrete injury requires that an injury must "actually exist" or there must be a "risk of real harm," such that a plaintiff who alleges nothing more than a bare procedural violation of a federal statute cannot satisfy the injury-in-fact requirement.40

Reactions: sober_teacher
That's for the courts to decide.

Even so, if determined legal, and if it was a fishing expedition, I don't approve.
What happens if the state settles for millions of dollars . . . will you still be waiting for the courts to decide???? Besides we already know it was a fishing expedition. Done at multiple college facilities, before they finally got the information needed . . . ya know to actually get a warrant.

Reactions: sober_teacher
The State is going to pay big on this one. Just a matter of when. I think they'd be smart to settle because if this goes to a jury and lose it will be far more costly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT