ADVERTISEMENT

Put aside the lack of actual defense for a minute,

HawkBall23

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2001
Fran needs to figure out whyTF his team is All World at home shooting %s-wise, but All Trash on the road or at neutral sites [save for the @IU game]. We know the reason, it just needs to be fixed.

IDFC what it takes to get it done, but if Barta & Fran doesn't make this stupid glow-in-the-dark Wilson EVO ball the official Iowa bball next season, Barta needs to get shown the door for that alone. Even if there is a contract that Iowa is under to play with the ball they already do, they need to figure a way out of or around it. Not playing with that EVO ball as their own is killing them away from Carver. And its not even just the shooting part of it. The ball looked like a greased hot potato in Iowa hands most of the day.

I hate the thought that the ball is the only reason, but it has to be a significant part of their road/neutral woes.

figure-it-out-fan.gif

Fran needs to figure out whyTF his team is All World at home shooting %s-wise, but All Trash on the road or at neutral sites [save for the @IU game]. We know the reason, it just needs to be fixed.

IDFC what it takes to get it done, but if Barta & Fran doesn't make this stupid glow-in-the-dark Wilson EVO ball the official Iowa bball next season, Barta needs to get shown the door for that alone. Even if there is a contract that Iowa is under to play with the ball they already do, they need to figure a way out of or around it. Not playing with that EVO ball as their own is killing them away from Carver. And its not even just the shooting part of it. The ball looked like a greased hot potato in Iowa hands most of the day.

I hate the thought that the ball is the only reason, but it has to be a significant part of their road/neutral woes.

figure-it-out-fan.gif
This the last year of the contract with Wilson and the NCAA. It will be interesting to see what ball the NCAA uses next year.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
This the last year of the contract with Wilson and the NCAA. It will be interesting to see what ball the NCAA uses next year.
Unbelievable. Only 2 years, or am I blanking on others before last season?

Well, then Barta needs to get clued in to what the new official ball will be, and instate that as the new official Carver one, starting next season.

Well, then Barta needs to get clued in to what the new official ball will be, and instate that as the new official Carver one, starting next season.
It won't matter, I doubt if we will sniff the NCAA tournament next year.

• Wow
Reactions: Ignored

It isn't a secret, ncaa announces it before the season begins so any and all teams can use it if they want.

Lol that the literal type of basketball is still discussed as an issue. They’re round and the same size as every other men’s basketball. Suck it up.

Reactions: littlez
Lol that the literal type of basketball is still discussed as an issue. They’re round and the same size as every other men’s basketball. Suck it up.
What is it then? Just reffing??

Fran is a horribly worse road coach, vs home coach???

The EVO ball is the only common denominator in Iowa's terrible shooting nights away from Carver.

🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03
They are not necessarily the same size, weight or texture. There is a range they have to conform to in both size and weight. Channels can be different in width and depth. Ball can be extremely tacking or slick, and react totally different when it makes contact with the rim. Ball makes a huge difference.

figure-it-out-fan.gif
Fran gave them a crutch with his stupid ball comment. So team starts to believe it

The people who say a ball is a ball ( round) have never played basketball in a gym with glass backboards and an audience who paid $ to watch the game. Different balls made by different manufacturers have unique “feel” to that of their competitors. And they bounce ever so differently from ball to ball.

There is an article in Sportico.com from April 4, 2022 about the criticism about the ball from both the NBA and college players. Not sure if I can post it or not. Article is called: Wilson Basketballs Take Spotlight as NBA Dumps Spalding and China Reemerges.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
There is an article in Sportico.com from April 4, 2022 about the criticism about the ball from both the NBA and college players. Not sure if I can post it or not. Article is called: Wilson Basketballs Take Spotlight as NBA Dumps Spalding and China Reemerges.
Makes sense. Pretty much everything you buy from China is a cheap knock off from the original.

figure-it-out-fan.gif
“ stupid glow-in-the-dark Wilson EVO ball “

that is one funny post…

all game long it look like they were playing with an over inflated rubber red kick ball from 3rd grade recess

The people who say a ball is a ball ( round) have never played basketball in a gym with glass backboards and an audience who paid $ to watch the game. Different balls made by different manufacturers have unique “feel” to that of their competitors. And they bounce ever so differently from ball to ball.
And Iowa is that one team that just can't adjust...

We lost to a team that was 5-15 in the league. Twice now. We might want to take a look at ourselves and value defense instead of complaining about the freaking basketball. Some of you guys are just unbelievable.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
If only Iowa had the freedom to practice with other types of basketballs.

Tired legs, bad matchups, wrong type of basketball---losers make excuses and winners win.

Wanted to puke reading the postgame quotes how the shots just weren’t falling again, unreal. Disregard the fact they play with little intelligence, play zero D and don’t consistently play with effort. Pat M lets 2 OSU guys go right around him for offensive rebound putbacks 2 straight possessions and it’s just ho hum, unreal.

Wanted to puke reading the postgame quotes how the shots just weren’t falling again, unreal. Disregard the fact they play with little intelligence, play zero D and don’t consistently play with effort. Pat M lets 2 OSU guys go right around him for offensive rebound putbacks 2 straight possessions and it’s just ho hum, unreal.
“If only we could hit more 3’s.” We never say if we don’t let the other team get whatever shot they want or just get a stop once in awhile. It’s all about offense.

The EVO ball is the only common denominator in Iowa's terrible shooting nights away from Carver.

I don't think the ball made a great difference (except in someone's head maybe). btw, same excuse was used last year in the NCAA loss to Richmond. We just seem to have a team of fragile psyches.

Iowa and Ohio State both used the same Nike Elite ball for their home games.

maxresdefault.jpg

crop-97.jpeg

I do believe the ball plays a large part into the shooting issues on the road. However, I still believe Iowa loses a larger percentage based on lack of defense vs their shooting. They shot in the mid 40% yesterday but allowed OSU to convert almost 50%. I would really like to see Fran address defense by bringing in a defensive minded assistant coach. Nothing against Gatens but Fran should have used the opportunity to look at an assistant from Virgina(or the like) and paid them a crap load to come to Iowa and teach defensive fundamentals!

I do believe the ball plays a large part into the shooting issues on the road. However, I still believe Iowa loses a larger percentage based on lack of defense vs their shooting. They shot in the mid 40% yesterday but allowed OSU to convert almost 50%. I would really like to see Fran address defense by bringing in a defensive minded assistant coach. Nothing against Gatens but Fran should have used the opportunity to look at an assistant from Virgina(or the like) and paid them a crap load to come to Iowa and teach defensive fundamentals!
When you have a team like Iowa that shoots a lot of 3's, that stat has a big influence on their results. They were 4-17, 23% from 3 and 22-39 from 2. That has been pretty much the norm with this ball. They shoot well from inside the paint, which you should no matter what ball you use, and awful from 3. On the defensive end, if they could just keep a guy in front of them for two dribbles and not one, that would make a big difference.

“If only we could hit more 3’s.” We never say if we don’t let the other team get whatever shot they want or just get a stop once in awhile. It’s all about offense.
Spot on, and it drives me nuts. It is like fans have been brainwashed and think like Fran.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
I think it is the biggest gripe we all should have Fran. His inability to change anything on the defensive end over mulitple years is irritating.

Fran couldn't harp on defense because CMAC was taken to the rim on dribble drive and abused multiple times/ PMAC isn't required to play defense or rebound so no problem there.

Last year we had tired legs + wrong type of ball. The fact that the opponent had a pg that nobody could stay in same zip code with was not an issue.

At least this year we won't have tired legs going into the 1st NCAA game.

Fran is overdue statistically to win 2 in a row in NCAA play. If he can do that, all is forgiven and a contract extension, bonus, and pay raise are in order. Connor will on the staff soon enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT