ADVERTISEMENT

Put the Hawks on Primetime!

I’d like to know what question was asked to prompt that response. Hopefully there are good ratings at the exposure wrestling does get so that they will test the waters with prime time. I’ve heard that nationals has grown with the espn coverage. So you’re saying there’s a chance!

Reactions: AFHawk86
I think it's hard to grow the sport and fan interest when so many matches are not available to the general public ... The people paying Flo, etc., to 'watch' Iowa/OSU (for example) are already wrestling fans ...

The "casual" fan or the "potential" fan is not going to pay to stream wrestling ...

Iowa not wrestling Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State is already a travesty ... And then you do get the #2 and #3 ranked teams (Iowa/OSU) this Sunday and its only available via pay service ... That is not going to help grow the sport from a fan interest level.

ESPN has 153 channels ... BTN has hours and hours of "crap tv" ... And one can only see these two storied programs wrestle if they plunk down $ ... I get it, streaming is our world ... Wrestling needs to find a way to expose Iowa/OSU to the world. If I can watch table tennis, bowling, bag toss on ESPN ... I sure as hell should be able to watch wrestling.

I know preaching to the choir but it is ridiculous. In wrestling, Iowa is like ND football or Duke basketball. People love or hate them so people watch and Iowa has the most passionate fans. So you have a top 5 match up and ESPN doesn’t have it. So stupid and shortsighted. It would only help the ratings come March.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
These posts are spot on. Wrestling needs to grow and yet Flo makes everyone pay extra. I started a thread weeks back about how the Hawks werent on TV for the rest of the year and it sucks. Have all these Big Ten overflow channels, but yet dont do anything with them, unless its football season. Come on, get the sport on TV more often!!!

Keep in mind that FOX had the opportunity to select this dual (as it does others) and as ESPN does through their various conference deals and didn't because of the value they put on the sport compared to other options during this time of the year. It's not like there was a bidding war for those rights.

I'd agree that the pay model is tough for the casual fans, for sure, but there also needs to be a business model that supports groups investing resources. The model has led to a lot more coverage today than 5 years ago, but it still has a ways to go before linear TV is fighting over those rights.

If Flo was about promoting the sport they would sell this match to ESPN. This match needs to be on National tv.

These posts are spot on. Wrestling needs to grow and yet Flo makes everyone pay extra. I started a thread weeks back about how the Hawks werent on TV for the rest of the year and it sucks. Have all these Big Ten overflow channels, but yet dont do anything with them, unless its football season. Come on, get the sport on TV more often!!!
You guys need to realize that Flo isn't in this to "promote" the sport. They are a for profit business and their main objective is to make money. Flo also doesn't make you pay extra for anything... They actually went the other way and included all their other platforms for the same price.

I know preaching to the choir but it is ridiculous. In wrestling, Iowa is like ND football or Duke basketball. People love or hate them so people watch and Iowa has the most passionate fans. So you have a top 5 match up and ESPN doesn’t have it. So stupid and shortsighted. It would only help the ratings come March.
Obviously a shame it’s not televised but I am dubious of its effect on incrementally growing the sport (at least taking account the fact that content availability is as good as it has ever been).

I get the Notre dame analogy but not it’s application. I think the only people watching notre dame games are notre dame fans, Catholics, and whoever is playing notre dame. I don’t think random/neutral people tune in to watch them or cheer for them to lose, even when they were good.

You guys are blaming Flo because this dual isn’t on espn? If Flo wasn’t broadcasting you might not be able to watch it. BTN doesn’t have rights for OK State. Would be great if ESPN would value wrestling, but they obviously don’t. At least Flo is putting product out there and growing the sport even if you have to pay to watch.

We used to be able to pay to watch the meet thru OK St before Flo took it over. Pretty much like paying for BTN+

Was cheaper IIRC.
images

You guys are blaming Flo because this dual isn’t on espn? If Flo wasn’t broadcasting you might not be able to watch it. BTN doesn’t have rights for OK State. Would be great if ESPN would value wrestling, but they obviously don’t. At least Flo is putting product out there and growing the sport even if you have to pay to watch.
Contemplate this for a moment: wbb has greater market value than wrestling to espn.

ESPN only cares about $ and they make it off the NCAA tournament.They don't care about the sport at all.Cant believe people are talking about growing the sport by having Flo WRESTLING sell the rights to ESPN who gives two shits about wrestling.TV isn't the future of wrestling most people under 30 don't have cable TV they use streaming services that's the future.Every wrestling fan shouldve FLO no questions asked regardless of what happened in the past with broadcasts FLO is worth every penny.

I think it's hard to grow the sport and fan interest when so many matches are not available to the general public ... The people paying Flo, etc., to 'watch' Iowa/OSU (for example) are already wrestling fans ...

The "casual" fan or the "potential" fan is not going to pay to stream wrestling ...

Iowa not wrestling Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State is already a travesty ... And then you do get the #2 and #3 ranked teams (Iowa/OSU) this Sunday and its only available via pay service ... That is not going to help grow the sport from a fan interest level.

ESPN has 153 channels ... BTN has hours and hours of "crap tv" ... And one can only see these two storied programs wrestle if they plunk down $ ... I get it, streaming is our world ... Wrestling needs to find a way to expose Iowa/OSU to the world. If I can watch table tennis, bowling, bag toss on ESPN ... I sure as hell should be able to watch wrestling.

What, no curling?

Reactions: Rustys Dad
ESPN only cares about $ and they make it off the NCAA tournament.They don't care about the sport at all.Cant believe people are talking about growing the sport by having Flo WRESTLING sell the rights to ESPN who gives two shits about wrestling.TV isn't the future of wrestling most people under 30 don't have cable TV they use streaming services that's the future.Every wrestling fan shouldve FLO no questions asked regardless of what happened in the past with broadcasts FLO is worth every penny.

But they care about gymnastics and curling and cycling. So why did ESPN already televise a handful of meets this season? People are talking about it because it reaches a wider audience. Yeah more eyes on the screen would be terrible. Instead you are forced to pay a Kings ransom for three months of college wrestling, FLO is a joke. Every wrestling fan should want the sport nationally broadcast and not on have to buy into some ripoff website to watch freak #2 vs #3.

there's so much stupid in this thread. all your dumb ass assertions are b/c of 1 thing...you want to watch it.

you don't know how shit works. so you say 'ef flo'. the one entity that puts all their effort into making wrestling matter.

wholly dumb.
this is the wilbur i know! good job young fella. hahaha, they are too stingy to pay for flo cause they had iowa public station back in the day.

Reactions: lionlover
there's so much stupid in this thread. all your dumb ass assertions are b/c of 1 thing...you want to watch it.

you don't know how shit works. so you say 'ef flo'. the one entity that puts all their effort into making wrestling matter.

wholly dumb.

Its about getting the biggest dual of the season on National tv. If you don’t see how that matters, you are a lost cause

I wouldn't downplay what ESPN has been providing for low cost. Besides television coverage of several key duals and most rounds of the national tournament, they routinely stream ACC and MAC duals through the season, so one has regular access to coverage of teams like NC State, VaTech, and Mizzou (including a very exciting Mizzou-OkieSt dual recently). That is all included in the cost of a cable subscription, which obviously provides access to a multitude of other sports and other, non-sports content entirely. Production quality is good, too.

ESPN may or may not care, but they are providing substantial, affordable coverage.

Obviously a shame it’s not televised but I am dubious of its effect on incrementally growing the sport (at least taking account the fact that content availability is as good as it has ever been).

I get the Notre dame analogy but not it’s application. I think the only people watching notre dame games are notre dame fans, Catholics, and whoever is playing notre dame. I don’t think random/neutral people tune in to watch them or cheer for them to lose, even when they were good.

You'd be wrong, very wrong.

wholly dumb.
Wrestling was fine before Flo..... you’re about making as much money as you can..... you’re not doing wrestling any favors.... if you were you would make the coverage more affordable and available for the one meet of the year they want to see and you have hostage instead of gouging them

Wrestling was fine before Flo..... you’re about making as much money as you can..... you’re not doing wrestling any favors.... if you were you would make the coverage more affordable and available for the one meet of the year they want to see and you have hostage instead of gouging them

Come on man, this is absurd. How are they holding hostage anything? Are you trying to suggest Flowrestling is outbidding ESPN and Fox Sports for the rights to their wrestling duals? You can’t seriously believe that. It’s either Flo or a regional network that may or may not be tape delayed.

People often say "they should do this, they should do that." The problem? "They" does not exist. The sport of wrestling has no effective voice advocating for it and marketing it. No one is rowing the boat and it is absolutely shameful.

Come on man, this is absurd. How are they holding hostage anything? Are you trying to suggest Flowrestling is outbidding ESPN and Fox Sports for the rights to their wrestling duals? You can’t seriously believe that. It’s either Flo or a regional network that may or may not be tape delayed.
I think they’re leeches that are trying to monopolize wrestling coverage and charge as much as they can to provide it..... for the record I subscribe to BTN2Go and am very happy with the price for what I get.... they offer the Iowa only subscription at a reduced rate and I get coverage of all of the Iowa sports .... I had a real irritating experience with Flo last year trying to get nationals..... tried to subscribe for one month..... they grabbed a years subscription payment out of my account and when I tried to contact their customer service no response for a week..... I had to have my bank contest the payment before they fixed it

I think they’re leeches that are trying to monopolize wrestling coverage and charge as much as they can to provide it..... for the record I subscribe to BTN2Go and am very happy with the price for what I get.... they offer the Iowa only subscription at a reduced rate and I get coverage of all of the Iowa sports .... I had a real irritating experience with Flo last year trying to get nationals..... tried to subscribe for one month..... they grabbed a years subscription payment out of my account and when I tried to contact their customer service no response for a week..... I had to have my bank contest the payment before they fixed it
doesn't flo cover bigten2go with their subsciption? also the cowboy team conference and other world wide stuff? seems you are losing out on money and coverage. tell him willie.

You don't see how a $150 price tag annually to view a couple of competitions a year is excessive for the casual fan? Flo should be looking into additional subscription/purchasing options. They should sell PPV for individual events. The $150 annual can still remain for the hardcore fan and can include full access to all of their content.

For the distant relatives who want to see their athlete compete or for marginal fans of the sport, or fans of a university in general want to view just a few events a year, Flo is extremely overpriced. Those people will not utilize $150 worth of content.

There are solutions to this problem. Status quo is not one of them.

@ChristianPyles

@smalls103

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT