ADVERTISEMENT

Put the Hawks on Primetime!

Yes I understand and thats good for his business not for Iowa fans
I get that but take that up with IPTV they obviously aren't interested in bidding on Iowa wrestling anymore.Having FLO pay for rights is good for the sport because before FLO nobody was wanting the rights to wrestling events

Reactions: dhm47
Was it Iowa/OK state a couple years ago when they still had other options besides $150 where Flo royally screwed it up and ended up issuing a bunch of refunds? They probably can’t handle the traffic/unpredictability of PPV events, so they spin it as “it’s only $12.50/month, what a steal!” Even though that’s only if you use it every month, and even in the world of streaming is still more than Netflix for example.

Good .... years ago IPTV did.... and more recently osu provided streaming....now Flo is the only option and I’ve documented my experience with them.... do you work for FLO or something or just enjoy arguing?
No I don't work for them.I just don't understand how any wrestling fan would bitch about $150 year subscription to a WRESTLING website that's all.
Enjoy the dual if you decide to watch.Maybe I will give you my extra login so you can enjoy the dual I will charge you $7.In all seriousness you seem like you really want to see the dual.
Fair enough.... I wouldn’t ask you to do that.... I would love to see the dual.... hell I’d pay anyone else in the world 30 bucks to watch it....not FLO .... I’ll enjoy the radio coverage.... god knows years ago I followed the Hawks away duals on an AM radio either trying to hold it at the perfect angle against a window to pull in KXIC or finding a hill my truck radio would pull it in on.....I appreciate good service and am a very loyal customer to business that I feel provide good service at a good price

Fair enough.... I wouldn’t ask you to do that.... I would love to see the dual.... hell I’d pay anyone else in the world 30 bucks to watch it....not FLO .... I’ll enjoy the radio coverage.... god knows years ago I followed the Hawks away duals on an AM radio either trying to hold it at the perfect angle against a window to pull in KXIC or finding a hill my truck radio would pull it in on.....I appreciate good service and am a very loyal customer to business that I feel provide good service at a good price
I understand I had a few bad experiences with FLO.But to me years ago I wasn't able to watch much and now I get to watch tons.I don't care what they say I don't let that keep me from watching the best sport on earth for $150 year.Driving to duals gas and hotel and admission is more then I spend in the 1 year on FLO.I also understand how things work so I don't get so frustrated when issues arise.So many people don't understand that FLO just simulcasts BTN so any issues are BTN.Oklahoma St duals are simulcasted thru the university stream this year so the issues this year were on Oklahoma st.FLO has gotten much better in my opinion.

My suggestion is someone who's gonna watch gets a Periscope account and everyone can watch.I watch many UFC fights that way.People always Periscope their big screen and you can easily watch

Last edited:
No I don't work for them.I just don't understand how any wrestling fan would bitch about $150 year subscription to a WRESTLING website that's all.
Enjoy the dual if you decide to watch.Maybe I will give you my extra login so you can enjoy the dual I will charge you $7.In all seriousness you seem like you really want to see the dual.

Not all wrestling fans care about ALL wrestling. That's not a hard concept to understand. I watch every Iowa college football game, but I don't watch college football if Iowa isn't playing. I'm a big college wrestling fan, but I don't care about high school wrestling, and only casually follow international styles. I did pay the $30 for flo to watch this dual because I want to see it that bad, and plus there are some nice documentaries on there that I can watch in that month. But it is absolutely not worth paying the 150 up front for a year based on my interests in the sport and what the site offers.

As I said, I'm a big college wrestling fan. Now imagine the IOWA fans who like to watch wrestling because they support everything Iowa, but aren't wrestling fans in general. No way will they pay for this. I think that is what you are not understanding. Those fans would pay a reasonable price, but not a fanatic price. The "all wrestling all the time" guys already have flo, and they will have it regardless. Flo offering individual events would only add to their revenue, not take away from it. They cater to hardcore fans of niche sports, and they do it very well, but they are missing out on a lot of revenue by completely shutting out the casual fans.

Reactions: UIwrestle99-13
Not all wrestling fans care about ALL wrestling. That's not a hard concept to understand. I watch every Iowa college football game, but I don't watch college football if Iowa isn't playing. I'm a big college wrestling fan, but I don't care about high school wrestling, and only casually follow international styles. I did pay the $30 for flo to watch this dual because I want to see it that bad, and plus there are some nice documentaries on there that I can watch in that month. But it is absolutely not worth paying the 150 up front for a year based on my interests in the sport and what the site offers.

As I said, I'm a big college wrestling fan. Now imagine the IOWA fans who like to watch wrestling because they support everything Iowa, but aren't wrestling fans in general. No way will they pay for this. I think that is what you are not understanding. Those fans would pay a reasonable price, but not a fanatic price. The "all wrestling all the time" guys already have flo, and they will have it regardless. Flo offering individual events would only add to their revenue, not take away from it. They cater to hardcore fans of niche sports, and they do it very well, but they are missing out on a lot of revenue by completely shutting out the casual fans.
I understand your points.I don't live in Iowa but if I did I would be mad at IPTV and be on them to get every Iowa dual on.You can't be mad at the company that's bidding to get the events but not mad at the company that no longer shows the duals

What some of you are missing in your analysis is that some of the people paying $150/year would back out of that commitment if Flo were to offer an a la carte plan. Subs have variable start dates. Can you imagine the complaints from that group if Flo all of a sudden offers this event for $10, after the subscriber assumed it wouldn’t be offered that way?

The annual sub plan is necessary for revenue stability, so it’s understandable why it’s out there (and a bargain for the hard core folks). But if Flo were to offer a hybrid model with a la carte on the side, they’d have to publish a cut over date a year out to avoid alienating a decent numbers of customers.

What some of you are missing in your analysis is that some of the people paying $150/year would back out of that commitment if Flo were to offer an a la carte plan. Subs have variable start dates. Can you imagine the complaints from that group if Flo all of a sudden offers this event for $10, after the subscriber assumed it wouldn’t be offered that way?

The annual sub plan is necessary for revenue stability, so it’s understandable why it’s out there (and a bargain for the hard core folks). But if Flo were to offer a hybrid model with a la carte on the side, they’d have to publish a cut over date a year out to avoid alienating a decent numbers of customers.

I don't think anyone cares what the transition process would be from a business standpoint for Flo. People are just giving their opinions because the customer is always right. I have a year subscription because I like international wrestling. $150 annually is not reasonable for people who just want to watch a few Iowa or PSU or OSU duals. Businesses adapt and change all the time to the market and demand.

Was it Iowa/OK state a couple years ago when they still had other options besides $150 where Flo royally screwed it up and ended up issuing a bunch of refunds? They probably can’t handle the traffic/unpredictability of PPV events, so they spin it as “it’s only $12.50/month, what a steal!” Even though that’s only if you use it every month, and even in the world of streaming is still more than Netflix for example.
I'd subscribe to some specific events. I'm not a super fan and I'm primarily interested in PSU and some big matches.

To the people complaining about growing the sport by getting this on ESPN: up until this year I also wanted the sport to grow, but after how hard it’s been trying to find tickets to nationals this year, I’m not sure I want it to grow much more.
Does the sport getting popular and bringing in more fans really benefit anyone besides the NCAA? The athletes don’t benefit in any way do they? Maybe I’m just being greedy but I don’t want to see the days when a ticket to a wrestling meet are the same price as a football game.

there's so much stupid in this thread. all your dumb ass assertions are b/c of 1 thing...you want to watch it.

you don't know how shit works. so you say 'ef flo'. the one entity that puts all their effort into making wrestling matter.

wholly dumb.
Willie on his way to work:
35FRed.gif

If anything is "wholly dumb" it's you everytime you open your mouth on that thing you dipshits call frl.

To the people complaining about growing the sport by getting this on ESPN: up until this year I also wanted the sport to grow, but after how hard it’s been trying to find tickets to nationals this year, I’m not sure I want it to grow much more.
Does the sport getting popular and bringing in more fans really benefit anyone besides the NCAA? The athletes don’t benefit in any way do they? Maybe I’m just being greedy but I don’t want to see the days when a ticket to a wrestling meet are the same price as a football game.
LO fvckin L

Reactions: HIWILLE
@ChristianPyles @smalls103 I just caught the tail end of FRL, yes some fans are calling for ESPN but that has been miniscule on this thread.- did you cover a one-time payment option for the meet? Seems like all I heard was about how ESPN sucks. "Which I completely agree."

I think most fans would appreciate this meet on ESPN or one of the Fox channels. This should be on National tv is the point, hell Flo and ESPN could cross promote. They really don’t compete against each other and would be a great one off event. ESPN and Fox have a hundred channels, this can’t be that difficult

I think most fans would appreciate this meet on ESPN or one of the Fox channels. This should be on National tv is the point, hell Flo and ESPN could cross promote. They really don’t compete against each other and would be a great one off event. ESPN and Fox have a hundred channels, this can’t be that difficult

I honestly don't care about it being on ESPN, there is no way I would give any rights for a meet that is built specifically for their platform and will help them grow.they have what everyone wants I just want a better way for me to obtain it. I watch strictly Iowa Wrestling and will not fork out 150 bucks for the one meet BTN2go does not cover. Let me pay the 10 dollars for the meet and let's move on

I am still confused by the guy that took issue with my reference to ND football. Um you are right they appeal to their fans (largest fan base in the country), all Catholics and the team they are playing. First, that is a high number of people. Second, there are a lot of people that watch them to lose as that is common knowledge because they are polarizing much like Duke basketball and Iowa wrestling which was my point. Third, they have their own network for football. Stop arguing to argue. You look less than smart. My point was very simple. ND football, Duke basketball and Iowa wrestling brings eyeballs. People love or hate them. Why would ESPN put on Missouri-Nebraska for wrestling and not Iowa-OSU? Like not putting on ND-USC or Duke-Carolina in favor of Georgia Tech-Virginia in football or Seton Hall-Providence in basketball. Ok maybe not that bad. But still just dumb.

Reactions: pmow38
That also doesn't mean the purpose of Flo is to promote and grow the sport of wrestling.

I can tell you that I've been here at Flo for a long time, and early on. The mantra has always been the same "Grow the sport, the athletes, and the fans". that's very literally the first 'core value' at Flo. You can be cynical and say "you only want to do that to make more money', but it doesn't change the fact that it's our most important mission. The two are one in the same. Growing the sport creates more potential subscribers.

I'd say you're currently missing a large customer base. Flo loses out on potential revenue, and n - less eyes on the sport.

tell that to UFC whose big events are all PPV.

tell it to Twitter, who offers a free product w/ millions of users but just only recently posted it's first profit.

i don't make the decisions on price points and yearly/monthly/ppv options. but i have faith in our data analysts who do.

would it have been nice for some casual fans and grandma and grandpa to have a ppv option for PIAA States or Iowa-OKST dual? Maybe. But maybe too, the numbers suggest that doesn't make sense.

the bottom line is, people have watched tons of live events on Flo without a peep and when we get 'super bowls' of our sport there is this outcry and silly assertions like 'flo should give the rights away'. yes! that makes sense. Flo should do all the 'little' events and then when the big ones come that we PAID rights for, we should give them to our competitors. :confused:

You guys need to realize that Flo isn't in this to "promote" the sport. They are a for profit business and their main objective is to make money. Flo also doesn't make you pay extra for anything... They actually went the other way and included all their other platforms for the same price.
Well they should be in it for BOTH. Promoting the sport can only help their long term revenues. FYI. I’m a subscriber.

@smalls103 Yes it would be nice. But this is all I needed, your data analyst there have shown it is not worth going to PPV.

I do have a problem with you complaining.. about fans complaining... You should be ecstatic there is a fan base that your company can sell their product too. And the fact you are pissing on one of the largest fan bases is not a good look. This is a instant gratification society, and right now you are not providing that with a long term deal. So deal with the complainers

@smalls103 Yes it would be nice. But this is all I needed, your data analyst there have shown it is not worth going to PPV.

I do have a problem with you complaining.. about fans complaining... You should be ecstatic there is a fan base that your company can sell their product too. And the fact you are pissing on one of the largest fan bases is not a good look. This is a instant gratification society, and right now you are not providing that with a long term deal. So deal with the complainers

Bitching about someone complaining is worse than the complaining. It’s not hard to get this one match on TV. Yet no one in position of power will do anything about it. Think of just a casual college sports fan. Iowa OSU #2vs#3 is on this weekend, “How do I watch this meet” You need a $150. Ohh...

What some of you are missing in your analysis is that some of the people paying $150/year would back out of that commitment if Flo were to offer an a la carte plan. .

This is likely the main reason why they ditched the monthly plans (and why many are upset about it), but I can’t imagine there’s many yearly subscribers that signed up to watch less than like 7 or 8 events (and anyone who would do PPV for 9+ or so events should probably get a subscription). From a revenue standpoint, I’d have to think a PPV option would be almost entirely incremental. So I stick by my previous hypothesis that it likely has more to do with costs and technical issues that could arise from spikes in viewership.

People often say "they should do this, they should do that." The problem? "They" does not exist. The sport of wrestling has no effective voice advocating for it and marketing it. No one is rowing the boat and it is absolutely shameful.
I think they’re leeches that are trying to monopolize wrestling coverage and charge as much as they can to provide it..... for the record I subscribe to BTN2Go and am very happy with the price for what I get.... they offer the Iowa only subscription at a reduced rate and I get coverage of all of the Iowa sports .... I had a real irritating experience with Flo last year trying to get nationals..... tried to subscribe for one month..... they grabbed a years subscription payment out of my account and when I tried to contact their customer service no response for a week..... I had to have my bank contest the payment before they fixed it
Only complaint I have with BTN2go, once in a while a game is blacked out until midnight that night. I thought that was the purpose of the sub.

People often say "they should do this, they should do that." The problem? "They" does not exist. The sport of wrestling has no effective voice advocating for it and marketing it. No one is rowing the boat and it is absolutely shameful.
I think they’re leeches that are trying to monopolize wrestling coverage and charge as much as they can to provide it..... for the record I subscribe to BTN2Go and am very happy with the price for what I get.... they offer the Iowa only subscription at a reduced rate and I get coverage of all of the Iowa sports .... I had a real irritating experience with Flo last year trying to get nationals..... tried to subscribe for one month..... they grabbed a years subscription payment out of my account and when I tried to contact their customer service no response for a week..... I had to have my bank contest the payment before they fixed it
Only complaint I have with BTN2go, once in a while a game is blacked out until midnight that night. I thought that was the purpose of the sub.
Thats only games that other networks are televising....last week the Iowa women game against Maryland I believe was because it was on ESPN2..... could be wrong on that example.... I know there was one womens game I wanted to watch in entirety and missed the start so I waited til the game was over and clicked on the replay and it wasn’t available til midnight

I can tell you that I've been here at Flo for a long time, and early on. The mantra has always been the same "Grow the sport, the athletes, and the fans". that's very literally the first 'core value' at Flo. You can be cynical and say "you only want to do that to make more money', but it doesn't change the fact that it's our most important mission. The two are one in the same. Growing the sport creates more potential subscribers.

tell that to UFC whose big events are all PPV.

tell it to Twitter, who offers a free product w/ millions of users but just only recently posted it's first profit.

i don't make the decisions on price points and yearly/monthly/ppv options. but i have faith in our data analysts who do.

would it have been nice for some casual fans and grandma and grandpa to have a ppv option for PIAA States or Iowa-OKST dual? Maybe. But maybe too, the numbers suggest that doesn't make sense.

the bottom line is, people have watched tons of live events on Flo without a peep and when we get 'super bowls' of our sport there is this outcry and silly assertions like 'flo should give the rights away'. yes! that makes sense. Flo should do all the 'little' events and then when the big ones come that we PAID rights for, we should give them to our competitors. :confused:

Hire me to optimize your pricing and subscription options to both maximize profit and to offer one off events at a reasonable price to the marginal fans. The key with Flo's current model is that they need to retain subscribers during the off season and down periods. Netflix and other subscription companies don't have that issue. I think there's a way to retain the annual subscribers but also capture the casual fan revenue.

I'll work solely on commission of additional revenue gained. And I'll sit on FRL for free for the biased Iowa fan perspective. ;P

This is likely the main reason why they ditched the monthly plans (and why many are upset about it), but I can’t imagine there’s many yearly subscribers that signed up to watch less than like 7 or 8 events (and anyone who would do PPV for 9+ or so events should probably get a subscription). From a revenue standpoint, I’d have to think a PPV option would be almost entirely incremental. So I stick by my previous hypothesis that it likely has more to do with costs and technical issues that could arise from spikes in viewership.

You're on point, but I don't think scaling costs and technical issues are hard limitations preventing the aforementioned pricing options. Streaming services have significant economies of scale.

This is likely correct. The cable consumer has been hood-winked for years. Grandma has paid the same rights fees as hardcore sports fans, thereby subsidizing the marketplace and ameliorating prices throughout the customer base.

The consumer isn't right because the consumer doesn't actually understand their cable bills. Several posters in this thread praised Big Ten Network for allowing them to select an Iowa add-on for a nominal fee.

What those posters are failing to realize is without their existing cable subscription either held by them or millions of other customers throughout the Midwest region, then Big Ten wouldn't be able to provide such a low-cost access point for BTN2GO.

As cord-cutting continues, sports fans will need to either pay more for content or not have access. It's that simply.

Reactions: lionlover
Good .... years ago IPTV did.... and more recently osu provided streaming....now Flo is the only option and I’ve documented my experience with them.... do you work for FLO or something or just enjoy arguing?

I’ll pay you 10

This is likely correct. The cable consumer has been hood-winked for years. Grandma has paid the same rights fees as hardcore sports fans, thereby subsidizing the marketplace and ameliorating prices throughout the customer base.

The consumer isn't right because the consumer doesn't actually understand their cable bills. Several posters in this thread praised Big Ten Network for allowing them to select an Iowa add-on for a nominal fee.

What those posters are failing to realize is without their existing cable subscription either held by them or millions of other customers throughout the Midwest region, then Big Ten wouldn't be able to provide such a low-cost access point for BTN2GO.

As cord-cutting continues, sports fans will need to either pay more for content or not have access. It's that simply.
I didn't know people still used cable.

I love freestyle and the USA team problem is there is a limit to how many subscriptions a person can justify.... I attend a lot in person too.... I catch the usa team when I can on Tv..... went to the world team championships at Carver last year.... had seats in the first row.... it was awesome
You got the seats from me. This guy even donated one session that he couldn't make so someone else could use it. Stand up guy as far as I'm concerned. Shoot me an email I had a question for you

Last edited:
I believe flo does a decent job overall. But, to say growing the sport is the number one goal for them is false . They didn’t talk at all about AWL, and almost never post on social media about matches not on the FLO platform. IMO a 10 dollar PPV for Okie st-Iowa would be beneficial to them.

2018 Womans Basketball Final 4 game on ESPN2 had 2.3 million viewers.Ncaa Wrestling Semis on ESPN had 451,000 viewers.And then remember last year Ncaa Finals were supposed to be on ESPN but got bumped to ESPN2 for a worthless boxing fight and the finals were viewed by 628,000.This year while Midlands semis were going on ESPN TV was showing the College Cornhole championships.Bottom line is wrestling fans think this needs to be on TV but nobody else cares is why it isnt

Last edited:
2018 Womans Basketball Final 4 game on ESPN2 had 2.3 million viewers.Ncaa Wrestling Semis on ESPN had 451,000 viewers.And then remember last year Ncaa Finals were supposed to be on ESPN but got bumped to ESPN2 for a worthless boxing fight and the finals were viewed by 628,000.
All those thirsty wrestling fans must've been at the Finals then......

2018 Womans Basketball Final 4 game on ESPN2 had 2.3 million viewers.Ncaa Wrestling Semis on ESPN had 451,000 viewers.And then remember last year Ncaa Finals were supposed to be on ESPN but got bumped to ESPN2 for a worthless boxing fight and the finals were viewed by 628,000.
I wound up watching the whole national tournament on espn three two and ESPN.... was very appreciative for the coverage.... they could cut back on the interviews but hey they covered it

Just listened to FRL, is there a bigger crybaby than Willie? These guys are so full of themselves when talking about ESPN. Many wrestling fans and sports fans will miss the biggest dual of the year.

2018 Womans Basketball Final 4 game on ESPN2 had 2.3 million viewers.Ncaa Wrestling Semis on ESPN had 451,000 viewers.And then remember last year Ncaa Finals were supposed to be on ESPN but got bumped to ESPN2 for a worthless boxing fight and the finals were viewed by 628,000.This year while Midlands semis were going on ESPN TV was showing the College Cornhole championships.Bottom line is wrestling fans think this needs to be on TV but nobody else cares is why it isnt

NCAA wrestling goes up against the NCAA basketball tournament. Hard to expect most sport fans to watch the former. This dual isn’t competing against anything

Just listened to FRL, is there a bigger crybaby than Willie? These guys are so full of themselves when talking about ESPN. Many wrestling fans and sports fans will miss the biggest dual of the year.

It isn’t the biggest dual. Penn St vs Ohio St is the premier dual featuring the two premier programs in college wrestling. Ohio St. just got a $48 million dollar wrestling facility. Those two programs are the top draws these days.

Reactions: lionlover
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT