ADVERTISEMENT

Put the Hawks on Primetime!

It isn’t the biggest dual. Penn St vs Ohio St is the premier dual featuring the two premier programs in college wrestling. Ohio St. just got a $48 million dollar wrestling facility. Those two programs are the top draws these days.

Well you would be wrong. OSU is maybe #5, Iowa and Okie lite are solidly 2 and 3.

Reactions: Russ Goldstein
Trust me....Just get a 6 pack of your favorite barley pop and enjoy Ironside on the radio....you won't miss a thing.

F yes... and to be clear I dislike m hall and douche GS. However, love DS Bc I’m a homer. I pay the BTN (was stealing) but now pay. And I would pay for a Ppv for Sunday (upto 15-20)

Reactions: el dub
It isn’t the biggest dual. Penn St vs Ohio St is the premier dual featuring the two premier programs in college wrestling. Ohio St. just got a $48 million dollar wrestling facility. Those two programs are the top draws these days.
Isn't that a multi-use facility?
It's not about the top two teams. It's about the passion of the fan base. Penn State's fan base is plenty fired up these days, but tOSU? BBall is the winter king at tOSU.

Reactions: lionlover
You're a hardcore fan. You and this board are the minority. There are loads of fans who would watch Iowa vs Okie state if there were alternative options to purchase it rather than a $150 annual subscription to Flo for a bunch of behind the scenes interviews that they won't watch and international tournaments that they don't know exist.
@Is_there_vodka_in_heaven you have really made some terrific points regarding this marketing issue. Good work!

Trust me....Just get a 6 pack of your favorite barley pop and enjoy Ironside on the radio....you won't miss a thing.

Thought I heard after the last meet tnat Ironside said he would not be on the trip to OK. St. He would be teaching some Kids wrestling thingy or something. IIRC???

Cool..........I stand corrected.
tenor.gif

I don't think anyone cares what the transition process would be from a business standpoint for Flo. People are just giving their opinions because the customer is always right. I have a year subscription because I like international wrestling. $150 annually is not reasonable for people who just want to watch a few Iowa or PSU or OSU duals. Businesses adapt and change all the time to the market and demand.

I can’t afford a Ferrari but I don’t expect them to lower the price so everybody can afford one. Flo has figured that it’s better to sell annual subscriptions than to offer monthly or PPV. If they offered the other choices it would probably lower their profits. It makes little sense to argue that they’re wrong. If they are the market will tell them.

I can’t afford a Ferrari but I don’t expect them to lower the price so everybody can afford one. Flo has figured that it’s better to sell annual subscriptions than to offer monthly or PPV. If they offered the other choices it would probably lower their profits. It makes little sense to argue that they’re wrong. If they are the market will tell them.

The Ferrari analogy is kind of a reach.

However, are the people complaining about this not the market? Is that not lost revenue? You'd think there would be a way to meet more of the population's needs.

I'm a happy subscriber and my daily work suffers because of Flo content! I'm just understanding and sympathetic for the people unable to view it and quite frankly understand their point.

i would like to watch most UFC PPV's. but i only rarely buy them. depends on how much i want to see a particular match up.

and to be clear - i don't really fault people for complaining about price, i find fault in saying the sport would be better off if the big stuff was on espn or somewhere else.

if flo doesn't have the revenue from the 'big stuff' to keep afloat for the 'small stuff' flo doesn't exist.

and we know damn well that void isn't gonna be filled by the outlets some suggest should have the big stuff.

Eh, I don’t doubt that Flo is making money with the current model. But that doesn’t mean they can’t make more with a PPV option.

i would like to watch most UFC PPV's. but i only rarely buy them. depends on how much i want to see a particular match up.

and to be clear - i don't really fault people for complaining about price, i find fault in saying the sport would be better off if the big stuff was on espn or somewhere else.

if flo doesn't have the revenue from the 'big stuff' to keep afloat for the 'small stuff' flo doesn't exist.

and we know damn well that void isn't gonna be filled by the outlets some suggest should have the big stuff.

It looks like UFC PPV’s are $50-$65, that’s apples and oranges compared to what one would expect to pay for a regular season wrestling dual. I’d guess if you go above $9.99 or so there won’t be a ton of interest.

I agree that Flo probably needs the revenue from the “big stuff,” but that’s even more reason to offer a PPV option IMO.

On FRL it was mentioned to “talk to the Ivy League coaches about ESPN.” Can anyone expand on that? I haven’t heard anything about it. Besides, isn’t that mostly just on ESPN+ which is just another streaming service that’s even separate from ESPN, so irrelevant to the topic of “putting the Hawks on prime time”? (I actually had to be corrected on themat and thought you needed ESPN to get ESPN+ but that was just ESPN3)

Reactions: Exo
Consider that flo employs the same pricing structure for the other niche sports (which are simply not big enough for espn to care about at the price they’d pay for the rights) that it has tried to capture. In rugby they have the same small but passionate fan base. But they can’t make a living selling Cardiff v Edinburgh, or the us hs national championships a la carte. But they can sell a season pass that includes a bunch of cheap to produce content, with a few diamonds in the rough games along the way, and all the commentary that used to be on Alex Goff’s website.

It’s actually a pretty smart way to achieve quick dominance, but like any other dominant player, it’s not always consumer friendly.

Consider that flo employs the same pricing structure for the other niche sports (which are simply not big enough for espn to care about at the price they’d pay for the rights) that it has tried to capture. In rugby they have the same small but passionate fan base. But they can’t make a living selling Cardiff v Edinburgh, or the us hs national championships a la carte. But they can sell a season pass that includes a bunch of cheap to produce content, with a few diamonds in the rough games along the way, and all the commentary that used to be on Alex Goff’s website.

It’s actually a pretty smart way to achieve quick dominance, but like any other dominant player, it’s not always consumer friendly.

I still don’t see how it’s smart if the vast majority of people that only want to watch 1-7 or so events will not purchase a season pass. I guess the argument is that’s not enough to make a difference but it’s still money they wouldn’t have otherwise.

And now you have events like the PA HS states where there probably are a good number of people that may be interested in that and nothing else. I guess they’re banking on a few people forking over $150 to watch a weekend of wrestling online.

Reactions: Russ Goldstein
I still don’t see how it’s smart if the vast majority of people that only want to watch 1-7 or so events will not purchase a season pass. I guess the argument is that’s not enough to make a difference but it’s still money they wouldn’t have otherwise.

And now you have events like the PA HS states where there probably are a good number of people that may be interested in that and nothing else. I guess they’re banking on a few people forking over $150 to watch a weekend of wrestling online.
# people who will buy season pass x season pass revenue > # people who will buy season pass in a la carte world + (# a la carte purchases x average a la carte price possible)

The reason this is true is that in niche sports they think the fan bases are motivated enough to be “wrestling fans” or “rugby fans”, or that at least they will have enough “team x” content so that subscription fee ~ sum of team x a la carte fees.

You can do a one month prescription for 30 bucks still, going to pony it up invite 3 friends over who don't have it. 5 bucks to watch at my house and get to watch the "Superbowl"

Reactions: smalls103
Thought I heard after the last meet tnat Ironside said he would not be on the trip to OK. St. He would be teaching some Kids wrestling thingy or something. IIRC???

I don’t know the Kid family. Are there enough of them to warrant Ironsides missing the weekend duel?

You can do a one month prescription for 30 bucks still, going to pony it up invite 3 friends over who don't have it. 5 bucks to watch at my house and get to watch the "Superbowl"

Lol What a friend! Are you going to charge them for the beer they drink as well?

Nope but making wings, picklewraps, providing beer and a place to watch. They offered to pay, mostly due to this entire thread stating how expensive it is for one dual.. you goon, must just be mad you didn't get invited

You have to understand that I run with a group of guys who fight to PAY the bills when we get together.

Flo done being drama queens? Do they really want what’s best for the sport?

Last edited:
So who is going to be the person to periscope it? Or give someone a way around having to login. Like we have for btn+.

Nope but making wings, picklewraps, providing beer and a place to watch. They offered to pay, mostly due to this entire thread stating how expensive it is for one dual.. you goon, must just be mad you didn't get invited

You have to understand that I run with a group of guys who fight to PAY the bills when we get together.

Can I join this group? I fight to pay my bills, though we may be talking about a different situation. I promise to be a "room guy", I won't win the fights, but I will get you all ready to win.

As a representative of the poor Hawkeye fan base, Flo is too expensive for me. I would love to see all their content, but understand it's a business. Which makes me confident they will address this and work on ways that they can get me to give them the last $10 I have to my name.

# people who will buy season pass x season pass revenue > # people who will buy season pass in a la carte world + (# a la carte purchases x average a la carte price possible)

There’s really no way to prove this one way or the other unfortunately. And please don’t say “if they could make more money doing it, they’d be doing it.” Business (in all fields) make stupid decisions all the time.

There’s really no way to prove this one way or the other unfortunately. And please don’t say “if they could make more money doing it, they’d be doing it.” Business (in all fields) make stupid decisions all the time.
True, but they believe it to be the better model. While I tend to chuckle at a lot of so called market research, I suspect this is not a model they are just plain guessing at.

Huh? We fight to pay the bill. So, it makes me ungrateful because I don’t mind paying for events for my friends?

Ever hear of potlatch?

Missread that! That makes you a good man. Sounds a lot like me and my group. I offered to buy, they offered to buy it instead, we settled on five bucks. But I also save every cent I make because I am a cheap a** and want to retire at 50.. this 30 dollar purchase was a big decision lol "I haven't gone out to eat in 6 years without a gift card"

Price only matters when perceived value is absent. As Flo does a cost benefit analysis they have most likely come to the conclusion that there annual subscribers won’t cancel.
Are they missing out on revenue, sure.
I am far from a tech wizard but perhaps they don’t have they don’t have the ability to offer PPV?

Funny thing to me is we don’t have any cable or satellite tv at our house. We pick and chose some ala carte things we want to pay for that are an interest to us. If wrestling is on espn, I can’t watch it. (Like the NCAA finals) So now I am out. Is that espn’s fault?
No it’s not, FLO is what I choose to pay for to get the most content throughout the year. If you don’t want to pay for it then don’t. But quit complaining that they have purchased the rights and make the effort week in and week out to cover wrestling when no one else does. Side note: where is the thread complaining about Trackwrestling charging for content?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT