ADVERTISEMENT

QB is not our program problem with offense

Banks, Tate, Stanzi, Ruddock, Beathard and Stanley. Now compare that group to all the RB's and WR's. For Iowa to improve those 2 qroups need to be better.
Wow, so the O-line is in great shape because of the past? Or this isn't one of the Ferentz eras most talented WR groups because of the past? The coaching staff has address the skill positions quite well IMO.

Ok, Tony. Ok......

We have serious QB problems and have since Beathard graduated.
We've had serious QB problems every year Iowa struggles to run the football. With the exception of maybe Chuck Long, Iowa has not had many elite QB's capable of winning the game with their arm, just average game managers which when have no run game, struggle. If we can run the ball efficiently, I think Petras can be a capable QB, if not, well, rinse and repeat the offense the past couple years. LOL

Has the WUW pod guys had any recent QBs on? I know James Vandenberg does a tv show about Hawkeye sports. Has he been on the pod? I know OCs have changed since but basics are the same as back then. Would love to hear his breakdown of the concepts of this offense versus others.

The WR recruiting has largely improved since Coach Copeland arrived. Started two 4* freshmen last year. Interested to see what happens in that room.

Very eager to see the RBs and hope they are potential game breakers.

Our OT play was not memorable this year. Any great year we have OTs we remember.

You don’t have pretty good OT play your passing game is gonna stink.
This. If your team uses rpo and can't run, they are hosed. It's not like Iowa is going to a spread offense. Iowa does not have the team speed for that. The oline has to get better, then the rest will fall into place. Hell, Iowa had the best center in college football the last 2 years and still had their qbs running for their lives before a 3 count. This needs to be resolved and quick!

We've had serious QB problems every year Iowa struggles to run the football. With the exception of maybe Chuck Long, Iowa has not had many elite QB's capable of winning the game with their arm, just average game managers which when have no run game, struggle. If we can run the ball efficiently, I think Petras can be a capable QB, if not, well, rinse and repeat the offense the past couple years. LOL
Which is exactly why I think Tate was KF's best qb.
He was able to go 10-2, win the BT MVP, and win the Cap One bowl while down to Brownlee as his RB.
Honestly, no other qb is close to him.

petrass.gif

Which is exactly why I think Tate was KF's best qb.
He was able to go 10-2, win the BT MVP, and win the Cap One bowl while down to Brownlee as his RB.
Honestly, no other qb is close to him.
Have to say I believe Stanzi was at least close….despite INT’s, he was a very accountable QB and was the first Iowa QB in recent memory to win 3 consecutive bowl games I believe. He was also on his way to a very special undefeated season, before that naked bootleg injury to Northwestern late in the year, which was a huge bummer. One of his best games was in that BCS Bowl against favorite Georgia Tech. Right afterwards I believe is when Ferentz got that massive 10 year contract extension. Tate was a very good QB, but maybe not quite as good as expectations in his junior and especially senior year…..

Last edited:
Reactions: not_mantiteo
I’m not sure if OP is serious. The thumb and Petras are the sole reason why our offense has sucked for years. We have much better Wr’s and Rb’s than Beathard ever got to play with. We’ve always had great TE’s and can’t even imagine how bad our offense would be without them.
Our talent at the skill position with a avg QB and we win the West every year!

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Very true that over time the biggest issue is lack of talent at WR and RB but right now QB is an issue. If they can get a really good running game they can minimize the impact of the QB which I think is the best case scenario for next year.

Reactions: vamchawk
I’m not sure if OP is serious. The thumb and Petras are the sole reason why our offense has sucked for years. We have much better Wr’s and Rb’s than Beathard ever got to play with. We’ve always had great TE’s and can’t even imagine how bad our offense would be without them.
Our talent at the skill position with a avg QB and we win the West every year!
I don't know about RB.

Tight coverage there. Didn't want to overthrow him. How is this a 3 year starter in the B10?
Only at Iowa. Also, doesn’t this go against the one “good” thing that people say Petras has: a strong arm? If you have a strong arm, you jet that ball over there, I don’t care if you couldn’t set plant your feet for a full 2 seconds.

Tight coverage there. Didn't want to overthrow him. How is this a 3 year starter in the B10?
Every scramble drill has the wr working back to the QB. This clip shows wr working downfield away from QB. Petras might be assuming wr is going to come back to ball. With that said a better athlete at QB would be able to set feet better.

Have to say I believe Stanzi was at least close….despite INT’s, he was a very accountable QB and was the first Iowa QB in recent memory to win 3 consecutive bowl games I believe
Nate Stanley won 3 consecutive bowl games and threw for more yards far fewer interceptions and more touchdowns.

I'd still take Ricky, especially if was a big game. Just should not overlook Nate's contributions to three teams that improved every season he QBd them and ties with Ricky for most wins by a 3 year starter.

Stanley and SP are one and the same. Decent college throwers when the pressure is off. Inaccurate as all get out when the lights are on. You can't be slow and immobile on top of having bad accuracy and game presence. Iowa has been good enough in other areas to win despite them imo. You get better QB play at Iowa (especially with mobility) it creates an entire different animal.

Stanley and SP are one and the same. Decent college throwers when the pressure is off. Inaccurate as all get out when the lights are on. You can't be slow and immobile on top of having bad accuracy and game presence. Iowa has been good enough in other areas to win despite them imo. You get better QB play at Iowa (especially with mobility) it creates an entire different animal.
I disagree. Stanley was head and shoulders better than Petras.

If our offense has been so difficult to grasp, shame on the coaches for not changing it a decade ago.

We can cherry pick a year here\there - consistently being in the top 70 in offense and top 30 in defense would put us in the BIG Championship nearly every year and even the NC a few times.

Drew TAte in 2004

I disagree. Stanley was head and shoulders better than Petras.

Stanley was better but wasn't an exuberant amount better. He was average at best, had some good games for sure but they were outnumbered by the not so hot ones. Imo..of course

So, Nate was no better than Petras? Nate's career:

Nate Stanley is either first or second in every major passing statistic. Nate's TD/Int ratio is substantially better any multiyear starter at Iowa; and he's second in career yards, TDs, and tied for 1st in wins among 3 year starters (So Chuck Long and Matt Sherman are the only QBs that started for more than 3 seasons.)

Even Nate's "weakness" (accuracy) places is still 7th best in an Iowa career. It would not be possible to amass those numbers with just a few good games. Indeed Nate .583 and Brad Banks, .588 have nearly identical completion percentages over their careers.

Spencer Petras' career (so far)

Nate Stanley is either first or second in every major career passing statistic. Nate's TD/Int ratio is substantially better than any multiyear starter at Iowa; and he's second in career yards, TDs, tied for 1st in wins among 3 year starters (Chuck Long and Matt Sherman are the only QBs that started for more than 3 seasons.). By this point in Nate's career he'd thrown for about 5000 yards and 52 TDs. I think, could be wrong, but didn't Nate throw for something like 330 yards and 5 TDs in a come from behind or OT game in just his second game? Do you see that game in Spencer Petras?

Even their foot speed isn't close. Spencer makes Nate look like Jesse Owens shoving Uncle Sam's boot up Hitler's ass at the 36 Olympics.

Late night edit. I was looking at the media guide before I shut things down. Ironically, Spencer Petras just passed Brad Banks for 13th place in career yards. Spencer still needs three TDs to pass BB on the TD list. Not comparing over all players because Brad only played 1 season and a few downs. Should probably add, at Brad Bank's wildest rabbit chasing days in his first practice at Iowa I'd rather start him than Spencer Petras.​

Last edited:
Reactions: iafan44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT