ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Heaven..

ELCHawk

HR All-American
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2019
I grew up in a conservative Reformed church in NW Iowa. Growing up I was big in the church.

But one problem I always had was if God is a loving God why do good people who are not Christian burn in Hell for eternity?

Today at 48 I am an agnostic that doesn't go to church (for a few reasons including politics). I still question that.

If there is a loving God, how can good people of different religions or no religion not make it to Heaven?

My take: Many people of different religions can get to Heaven if they love God and their neighbor as best as they can with the knowledge they have.

Hell only exists because people choose it. God allows people to choose Hell.

The Bible doesn’t provide a lot of details about hell other than its dark and very hot. The free will he gave you lets you decide how you want to spend your afterlife.

God says that all you need is to believe and forgive thy sins. It’s not really a lot to ask to be with him for eternity.

The Bible doesn’t provide a lot of details about hell other than its dark and very hot. The free will he gave you lets you decide how you want to spend your afterlife.

God says that all you need is to believe and forgive thy sins. It’s not really a lot to ask to be with him for eternity.
What if I pretend to believe? Good enough?

Unitarian Universalists believe Jesus died to save everyone universally, whether you like it or deserve it or not. There is no "Hell" in their religious view.

I grew up in a conservative Reformed church in NW Iowa. Growing up I was big in the church.

But one problem I always had was if God is a loving God why do good people who are not Christian burn in Hell for eternity?

Today at 48 I am an agnostic that doesn't go to church (for a few reasons including politics). I still question that.

If there is a loving God, how can good people of different religions or no religion not make it to Heaven?
Read Thor Ramsey's book The Most Encouraging Book On Hell Ever. It's a short read. Then if you want and exhaustive read on Heaven itself, read Randy Alcorn's book titled, Heaven (It's a loooooong read).

The idea of heaven was created to give people something to believe in when they are to die or give family members some peice of mind that they are safe. Nothing more nothing less.

There back years ago I (no religious affiliation) went to a catholic college run by Franciscan Friars. We were required to take some religion classes. I learned much about all the majority religions in those classes.

We were required to read in this psychology class a conversation between a priest and a dying young person. It was a fantastic read. Will need to look that up to share.

Reactions: fsu1jreed

Growing up in the church you never covered the book of Romans?

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Growing up in the church you never covered the book of Romans?

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
I remember the first gulf war and leaders scaring the shit out of us kids and saying it is end times.

Last edited:
If there is a heaven, when you show up do you get to pick the age of your life you want to show at?

I mean, wouldn't suck at the age you died. 85 year old cancer ridden, arthritis ridden, and on oxygen?

It is an impossible ask for someone not indoctrinated. And the opposite of forgiving.

Rape and murder a child? I can forgive you. Read an ancient book and think to yourself, “That doesn’t sound right.” Damned for eternity.

Reactions: Birky and nelly02
It is an impossible ask for someone not indoctrinated. And the opposite of forgiving.

Rape and murder a child? I can forgive you. Read an ancient book and think to yourself, “That doesn’t sound right.” Damned for eternity.

If you want faith, pray for it. Be patient. :)

• Love
Reactions: AreWeCross
Why would I want faith?

So you can go to eternal bliss in a few decades...or less.

Matthew 16:25-27:​

"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?

For the Son of Man shall come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He shall reward every man according to his works."

You’ve been reincarnated haven’t you? I hope there are no dogs in heaven unless god has modified them into poopless, non shedding, non barking and non biting hybrids…
It's a serious question actually. Are they soul less? If they are merely terrestrial, then why would Noah try to save them?

Do non Christians make it to heaven?

I believe that life is cyclical yes.

To answer the op since no one else has.

There are no good people. We ALL fall short of the glory of God. There are none righteous, no not one.

fb795ceeda73d3570d3acf8630f6c22b.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT