ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for Willie The Brain

@smalls103 take a look at the U17 World Team and U15 Pan Am Team for USA. Obviously the U20 team kids isn't finalized and most would be committed already. How do we get some of those U17 studs at Iowa? And how do we get some of the U15 kids interested in Iowa since they are the next wave? I think the Hawks have to be able to land at least 2-3 of those kids to start to contend? Also, I know you don't persuade kids to any school, but if you could land us Bassett, we promise we wouldn't tell anyone you persuaded him!

not sure what it is you think i do, but influencing kids where to to to college isn't one of them.

i've never once done that nor has any wrestler or parent really put me in a position to have that much persuasion. to be clear, i get asked my thoughts on different programs from parents all the time and my response is always 1) tailored to the fit of the kid and programs they are looking at and 2) impartial.

if you think my benefit to a program as recruiting coordinator would be 'the pitch' or the landing of them, that's totally not what the role would be nor in my wheel house.
No, I wasn't saying you directly influence anyone(although I will say it is impossible to not do it indirectly as every person has an inherent bias at some level). What I WAS saying, is you would lose the relationship element you have, that would LET you do it, if your job was actually TO recruit them to a specific school.

When it comes to our disagreements they are basically all at the college level. When it comes to High School info, I think you work as hard as anyone could and are as knowledgeable as anyone rightly could be about identifying and ranking talent.

Reactions: smalls103
that's not entirely true. and it's not the way it HAS to be.

you can designate who on the staff (up to 3 (or it may have changed to 4)) can talk to PSA's.

and I'd say 95% of learning more about individual recruits is talking to their parents and coaches rather than the athletes themselves.

idk if 'stalking' is the word i'd use lol, but the kiper thing is a fair comparison.

there's only been two real Recruiting Coordinators in the country - Anthony Ralph and Tyler Caldwell and both have crushed it.

college coaches should focus on development and the needs of their athletes, not spend their time being a research laden computer geek, which, in addition to talking to parents and coaches, is essentially what I do.

the role of a DI Wrestling Recruiting Director should be to do all the leg work and to present - in this case to TNT - your best recommendations and have them land them.

a few of you guys mentioned that you need to land not just Top 20's, but the right Top 20's and you're damn right. There are plenty of 'elite recruits' that i wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole. having a RC helps with this as well.
We really aren't disagreeing on anything you just said. Although, I will say that I find it hard to believe any coaching staff would give up their ability to talk to recruits for an RC. Even then, wouldn't the "RC" then truly have to be designated as a coach? I thought the contact rules were very specific to coaches only?

With that said, I do think you would be very good at everything you listed above. You have proven very capable of doing all the leg work necessary to do everything listed very well. My only argument was over the direct access and any truly possible "influence" a RC could have over the recruit himself...

that's not entirely true. and it's not the way it HAS to be.

you can designate who on the staff (up to 3 (or it may have changed to 4)) can talk to PSA's.

and I'd say 95% of learning more about individual recruits is talking to their parents and coaches rather than the athletes themselves.

idk if 'stalking' is the word i'd use lol, but the kiper thing is a fair comparison.

there's only been two real Recruiting Coordinators in the country - Anthony Ralph and Tyler Caldwell and both have crushed it.

college coaches should focus on development and the needs of their athletes, not spend their time being a research laden computer geek, which, in addition to talking to parents and coaches, is essentially what I do.

the role of a DI Wrestling Recruiting Director should be to do all the leg work and to present - in this case to TNT - your best recommendations and have them land them.

a few of you guys mentioned that you need to land not just Top 20's, but the right Top 20's and you're damn right. There are plenty of 'elite recruits' that i wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole. having a RC helps with this as well.
My thoughts too. Would be a game changer for Iowa and Tom.

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
If you were going to hire someone like Willie, hypothetically speaking, wouldn’t it be better for the team and Willie if he was hired as a consultant to the big $$ NIL guy? Lots more room to operate in that space.
I was thinking a consultant roll would be a consideration.

here's the real rub.

theoretically speaking...

if i were to sign on somewhere as Recruiting Director my rankings, big boards, tournament previews and commentary/context goes bye bye (to the public)

95% of coaching staffs would be totally lost when it comes to recruiting.

there's nothing else out there.

that's truly the competitive advantage of it all.

and if you don't believe me i'll show you the emails from the last two weeks asking when the 2026 Big Board (first day to contact is in one month) will be posted.

here's the real rub.

if i were to sign on somewhere as Recruiting Director my rankings, big boards, tournament previews and commentary/context goes bye bye (to the public)

and if you don't believe me i'll show you the emails from the last two weeks asking when the 2026 Big Board (first day to contact is in one month) will be posted.
So who is Telford going to call first?

Reactions: TarpHawk
here's the real rub.

You been slackin on those updates tho...

Quick question. Do character concerns affect your rankings?

i'd never do that.
Unless you desperately needed money very fast, I couldn't see why you would. The position is too similar and allows for too many opportunities to end up like Michael Cohen. :) I sure as hell wouldn't risk what you have created unless the new job was "official" and had a solid term contract.

here's the real rub.

High school and college wrestling needs Mat Scouts.

The full-time slot @smalls103 describes seems worth it for a school wanting to run with Lions. Spitballing now, and mostly tongue-in-cheek, if finding budget room for this is tough, maybe have Willie enroll in a few classes and let NIL folk fund his tuition and salary? If NIL only applies to athletes, get him on the pickleball or curling squad (I don’t see him running track). ;)
Seriously, though, putting Willie on payroll and letting him “Kiper” exclusively for Iowa can only help.

I've got another question for you Willie. What're your thoughts on PED use and PED testing at the NCAA level? Do you think a significant number of wrestlers are taking something on the banned list? Why do no coaches or athletes discuss it? It seems to be understood and accepted that NCAA testing is a joke and it's almost like we're in the don't ask don't tell era of PED use.

This question isn't directed at or alluding to any individuals or specific teams, but I always find it absurd that NCAA athletes never test positive for anything or suffer suspensions yet by all accounts, a certain percentage of college athletes across a wide array of programs are using something.

Just wondering your personal thoughts and if the topic ever gets brought up in your conversations with coaches or athletes.

I've got another question for you Willie. What're your thoughts on PED use and PED testing at the NCAA level? Do you think a significant number of wrestlers are taking something on the banned list? Why do no coaches or athletes discuss it? It seems to be understood and accepted that NCAA testing is a joke and it's almost like we're in the don't ask don't tell era of PED use.

This question isn't directed at or alluding to any individuals or specific teams, but I always find it absurd that NCAA athletes never test positive for anything or suffer suspensions yet by all accounts, a certain percentage of college athletes across a wide array of programs are using something.

Just wondering your personal thoughts and if the topic ever gets brought up in your conversations with coaches or athletes.
There is no way he is answering that question, unless it is a definitive NO. There is absolutely no benefit to him answering if he knows anything else...

There is no way he is answering that question, unless it is a definitive NO. There is absolutely no benefit to him answering if he knows anything else...

Which only confirms my assertion. That plenty of guys use and that no one wants to touch that topic with a 10 foot pole and we're operating under a don't ask don't tell standard.

zero shot at Bassett or Forrest. zero.
Hey @MSU158 ...

Rick James GIF

Do NOT get me started on food/cooking.

Family
Wrestling
Cooking/cinema.

I marinate my wings:

Dan-Os
Soy sauce
Lemon pepper
mccormick BBQ

Sauce
Franks mild
Butter (whole stick)
Lemon juice
Parsley
Budweiser

Sprinkle a little lemon pepper after you toss
I just made some hot wings on Sunday.

We played a gig on Friday night for a Cat rescue agency. There were tons of people at the bar. Couldn’t believe how friendly some of the women were. I snuck out after our second set and headed home, too tired to socialize. Guitar player texted me asking me where I’d went. Then he told me there was a swingers event at that bar as well as the kitty rescue league. Doh! Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT