ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for Willie The Brain

I haven’t read through all the questions so maybe this has been asked. I do think when it comes to the high schoolers you know them better than anyone else doing this sort of stuff, you seem to click well with them; if you were hired as a recruiting coordinator for Iowa, everything how it currently is, do you think you could sell our program to more top ranked kids and get them to come here?

here's the real rub.

theoretically speaking...

if i were to sign on somewhere as Recruiting Director my rankings, big boards, tournament previews and commentary/context goes bye bye (to the public)

95% of coaching staffs would be totally lost when it comes to recruiting.

there's nothing else out there.

that's truly the competitive advantage of it all.

and if you don't believe me i'll show you the emails from the last two weeks asking when the 2026 Big Board (first day to contact is in one month) will be posted.
Bill James eventually went to work for the Red Sox. I’m guessing they made it worth his while.

if you're going to talk about FR year success and attribute it solely to recruiting, i think you're fooling yourself.

this board tends to assert that it's recruiting and nothing thereafter. i get it, it's easier do digest that way. but it's not accurate.

it's a combination of recruiting and development and preparation.

Tyler Kasak was 3rd as a TFr. this year and scored 19pts. 2 pts more than Gable Steveson scored his TFr. year.

Note: Tyler Kasak was not as good at wrestling as a HS Senior than Gable Steveson.

Levi Haines was 2nd as a TFR. and scored 18pts. 1 pt more than Gable Steveson's TFr. year and tied with Keegan O'Toole's RFr. year.

Note: Levi Haines was not as good at wrestling as a HS Senior than Gable or O'Toole.

Shane Van Ness was 3rd as a RS-Fr. and scored 15.5pts less than a year after being teched twice in the same day to hs'ers.

Zain Retherford was in a dog fight OT match with a kid named Joey Galasso in Dec. of his senior year. Zain won a couple close decisions at Ironman that season. less than a calendar year later, as a TFr. he beat Logan Stieber who was going for his third title.

at some point you have to come around and allow yourself to understand that penn state is clearly developing guys as well as recruiting them.
Don’t disrespect those Father Judge guys Smalls. Philly boys don’t forget - haha… just busting balls; love the interaction in this thread. Good stuff!

Reactions: smalls103
I just made some hot wings on Sunday.

We played a gig on Friday night for a Cat rescue agency. There were tons of people at the bar. Couldn’t believe how friendly some of the women were. I snuck out after our second set and headed home, too tired to socialize. Guitar player texted me asking me where I’d went. Then he told me there was a swingers event at that bar as well as the kitty rescue league. Doh! Lol
Was this in West Des Moines/Waukee area by chance?

here's the real rub.

theoretically speaking...

if i were to sign on somewhere as Recruiting Director my rankings, big boards, tournament previews and commentary/context goes bye bye (to the public)

95% of coaching staffs would be totally lost when it comes to recruiting.

there's nothing else out there.

that's truly the competitive advantage of it all.

and if you don't believe me i'll show you the emails from the last two weeks asking when the 2026 Big Board (first day to contact is in one month) will be posted.
whatever. Bobby Telford's phone contacts > Willie's Big Board. AINIC

Reactions: TarpHawk
time house GIF
zero shot at Bassett or Forrest. zero.

Don’t disrespect those Father Judge guys Smalls. Philly boys don’t forget - haha… just busting balls; love the interaction in this thread. Good stuff!
I got linked here from Penn State Forum. I don't typically post on HR. I have met smalls a few times. He's a good guy and typically level headed on his opinions. When he talks about development of wrestler at Penn State being part of the success of their Freshman it's correct. Haines and Kasak both forgo their senior year in highschool to go to PSU to develop their skills. The difference about Penn State first year guys than most other freshman, is they look to score. Most college freshman are drilled on defense. . Obviously Sean Lee was an exception. Watch what happens at Ok St. I guarantee you the Pokes offense will be much different than what Smith taught.

Reactions: vhsalum
Welcome to the Cooking channel..
My wings, smoked at 350ish, mixture of 1/2 garlic salt, 1/2 celery salt sprinkled on before..
Cook to desired done ness...
Sauce..
Franks butter mixture, 1/2 cup of Sriracha and a few table spoons of garlic, can add honey too..
Toss then bake or regrill to keep crispyness.
We also do the same things with thighs instead of wings...

i would imagine that there's a big class on the horizon for Iowa in '26 and/or '27

they have no money on the books to Kueter and Nate Jesuroga opened a full.

Spencer, Eierman, Real, The Bull, Cass, Warner, Assad et al....all off now.

so they should have both money and need.

that being said, i don't know who is on what money. i've heard some really headscratching things (zero offered to Chittum or Estrada) and a several ho-hum guys on big money.

maybe they're saving a boatload for the ferrari's.

or maybe it's a lot of hearsay.

whatever the case, they should have gotten more in '24, and way more in '25.

you're probably looking at two back to back unranked classes.

i'm not entirely sure where all the money is tied up.

so on one hand they're due for one or two big classes. if they don't get them idk what the hell is going on other than perhaps the things i cited on that episode have more gravity than even i imagined.
This is a depressing post. Here's my question: What affect did/does the Ferrari family have on our recruiting fails? I don't blame any recruit for looking elsewhere knowing that the Ferrari circus is in town and there will be a lot of distractions.

Silver lining is if 2/3 of the Ferrari's are 20+ point scorers at NCAA's then the circus may be worth it.

I know that Willie has said we have zero chance for Bo.... But until Bo says that Himself ...we should keep on pushing all the buttons and making all the efforts to get him to realize what Spencer realized during his recruiting process... " PSu was the easy choice.... BUT Iowa was the RIGHT CHOICE " and his amazing success has shown that Iowa would also be a great choice for Bo

I've got another question for you Willie. What're your thoughts on PED use and PED testing at the NCAA level? Do you think a significant number of wrestlers are taking something on the banned list? Why do no coaches or athletes discuss it? It seems to be understood and accepted that NCAA testing is a joke and it's almost like we're in the don't ask don't tell era of PED use.

This question isn't directed at or alluding to any individuals or specific teams, but I always find it absurd that NCAA athletes never test positive for anything or suffer suspensions yet by all accounts, a certain percentage of college athletes across a wide array of programs are using something.

Just wondering your personal thoughts and if the topic ever gets brought up in your conversations with coaches or athletes.

One more try in case you missed it. @smalls103.

I know you take pride in talking honestly about controversial topics and things others won't touch.

I know that Willie has said we have zero chance for Bo.... But until Bo says that Himself ...we should keep on pushing all the buttons and making all the efforts to get him to realize what Spencer realized during his recruiting process... " PSu was the easy choice.... BUT Iowa was the RIGHT CHOICE " and his amazing success has shown that Iowa would also be a great choice for Bo
@vhsalum and @smalls103

you both keep saying this, without any explanation. Have Bo's parents said this, has he? WHY do you say there is zero chance? Has he already made his college choice? What is the reason he won't go to Iowa?

You guys both have no problem saying it wont happen, but never giving explanation. It makes it hard to understand if you're taking an educated guess as to where things stand right now (which is something Willie has specifically said - could change) or if you actually have concrete information and it is set in stone

I'm honestly not being a troll here, but, I think DT, Ruth, Nolf, Bo, Zain, Nico, N. Lee, Cenzo, Hall, Cassar, RBY, Brooks, Carter and MANY others believe they made the RIGHT CHOICE!

I'm honestly not being a troll here, but, I think DT, Ruth, Nolf, Bo, Zain, Nico, N. Lee, Cenzo, Hall, Cassar, RBY, Brooks, Carter and MANY others believe they made the RIGHT CHOICE!
It’s possible that an athlete can choose another school other than psu and have it be the right choice. The fact that you can’t see that, either means your judgement is clouded or you are in fact being a troll. Your choice, but that is what it is. I say that knowing that what you wrote is probably correct.

Last edited:
It’s possible that an athlete can chose another school other than psu and have it be the right choice. The fact that you can’t see that, either means your judgement is clouded or you are in fact being a troll. Your choice, but that is what it is. I say that knowing that what you wrote is probably correct.
You're absolutely right!!! Plus Iowa needs a couple big time recruit each year. Hard to develop guys over 50 on big board to be AA. PSU does not even do it frequently!!! We need Iowa in wrestling!!

@vhsalum and @smalls103

you both keep saying this, without any explanation. Have Bo's parents said this, has he? WHY do you say there is zero chance? Has he already made his college choice? What is the reason he won't go to Iowa?

You guys both have no problem saying it wont happen, but never giving explanation. It makes it hard to understand if you're taking an educated guess as to where things stand right now (which is something Willie has specifically said - could change) or if you actually have concrete information and it is set in stone
this is my gut feeling. Bo nor anyone in his circle have told me that.

I've got another question for you Willie. What're your thoughts on PED use and PED testing at the NCAA level? Do you think a significant number of wrestlers are taking something on the banned list? Why do no coaches or athletes discuss it? It seems to be understood and accepted that NCAA testing is a joke and it's almost like we're in the don't ask don't tell era of PED use.

This question isn't directed at or alluding to any individuals or specific teams, but I always find it absurd that NCAA athletes never test positive for anything or suffer suspensions yet by all accounts, a certain percentage of college athletes across a wide array of programs are using something.

Just wondering your personal thoughts and if the topic ever gets brought up in your conversations with coaches or athletes.
I don't think any coaches talk about it because i don't think PED use really goes on to anything close to a significant level. i've never had one coach, in all my years around them, say a peep about it.

To be sure there are probably a few kids here and there that mess around with something, and i totally agree with you that 1) NCAA testing is a joke and 2) that no one got popped, EVER, reinforces the joke.

(you're talking about an organization that just did away with the 4th place trophy for financial reasons so i'm sure they aren't all that interested in the expense of a robust doping dept.)

that being said PED's have massive effects both when you're on them and when you're off. not only would the difference be visible, the athlete who is off them would be pretty much washed.

In addition to no coaches ever accusing others about the practice (and boy do they like to accuse everyone of everything), I've never seen someone perform at anything close to a high level in college and then be a total shell of themselves in FS, or vice versa.

Most of the high level college guys go on to some measure of domestic (US Open / Final X) or international (Pan Ams, U20/U23's, Worlds) success, and if they're on something they ain't beating the tests at USADA or WADA.

that's my perspective, FWIW.

perhaps it sounds disingenuous or naive, but that's how i see it.

So you played to a room with a pussy heavy theme is what you’re telling us😊

We played a gig on Friday night for a Cat rescue agency. There were tons of people at the bar. Couldn’t believe how friendly some of the women were. I snuck out after our second set and headed home, too tired to socialize. Guitar player texted me asking me where I’d went. Then he told me there was a swingers event at that bar as well as the kitty rescue league. Doh! Lol

I don't think any coaches talk about it because i don't think PED use really goes on to anything close to a significant level. i've never had one coach, in all my years around them, say a peep about it.

To be sure there are probably a few kids here and there that mess around with something, and i totally agree with you that 1) NCAA testing is a joke and 2) that no one got popped, EVER, reinforces the joke.

(you're talking about an organization that just did away with the 4th place trophy for financial reasons so i'm sure they aren't all that interested in the expense of a robust doping dept.)

that being said PED's have massive effects both when you're on them and when you're off. not only would the difference be visible, the athlete who is off them would be pretty much washed.

In addition to no coaches ever accusing others about the practice (and boy do they like to accuse everyone of everything), I've never seen someone perform at anything close to a high level in college and then be a total shell of themselves in FS, or vice versa.

Most of the high level college guys go on to some measure of domestic (US Open / Final X) or international (Pan Ams, U20/U23's, Worlds) success, and if they're on something they ain't beating the tests at USADA or WADA.

Thanks for responding and giving your perspective. Appreciate it.

After reading your response, does Daton Fix fall into the camp of being completely washed after getting off the Kool aid?

I think the reason coaches and athletes don't touch the topic is because they know that likely, some of their own athletes/teammates are using banned substances (or getting amphetamine prescriptions without having ADHD). It's also inconvenient and feels like a violation of privacy to have to undego rigid testing, so even guys who are clean might not lobby for further regulations.

I think it's naive to assume that it's an insignificant number of guys using.

Last edited by a moderator:

And all this time I thought that you were the latest incarnation of Mother Theresa. Oops.

That's a fairly accurate take, drug testing can be quite expensive when you get into testing for PEDs. It's not a simple screening like they might do for say a work related drug test.

Thanks for responding and giving your perspective. Appreciate it.

After reading your response, does Daton Fix fall into the camp of being completely washed after getting off the Kool aid? Still made multiple NCAA final after getting off the Kool aid (assuming he got off). He certainly lost something because he went from world silver to not making the team, but I don't think he's completely washed. I think PEDs make up that little difference that pushes someone to the next level. Turns an NCAA finalist into a world finalist.

I think the reason coaches and athletes don't touch the topic is because they know that likely, some of their own athletes/teammates are using banned substances (or getting amphetamine prescriptions without having ADHD). It's also inconvenient and feels like a violation of privacy to have to undego rigid testing, so even guys who are clean might not lobby for further regulations.

I think it's naive to assume that it's an insignificant number of guys using.
daton was tested by WADA a million times and popped once. he made like 10 teams and medaled often (which means he was tested often)

anyway, you're free to believe what you want, of course. it seems you made up your mind prior to the response.

and you seem paranoid about the topic. (every team has guys doing it ?? / 'assuming Daton is off' ??) that's just weird.

i promise you it's certainly not widespread.

daton was tested by WADA a million times and popped once. he made like 10 teams and medaled often (which means he was tested often)

anyway, you're free to believe what you want, of course. it seems you made up your mind prior to the response.

and you seem paranoid about the topic. (every team has guys doing it ?? / 'assuming Daton is off' ??) that's just weird.

i promise you it's certainly not widespread.

You have as strong as an incentive as anyone to brush it under the rug. The defense of Daton is an example of your bias there.

When I assume that many teams have some guys using something, that includes things like going to a doctor to get an addy prescription despite not having ADHD or taking a friends addy. Why not if the NCAA doesn't test?

There are studies indicating as many as 25% of students have taken amphetamines. Anyone who's been to college in the past decade or two has seen or heard about it first hand. The sporting regulatory bodies rightfully consider amphetamines a PED. Yet because it can be gotten with a prescription and used through a TUE, it's not taken seriously.

J Robinson was fired because a bunch of his team was using (and selling?) Adderall (and other drugs).

Not to mention, many modern and more sophisticated PEDs are really hard to test for even by WADAs standards.

well, to be honest i wasn't thinking of those things (adderall, etc).

(not that i matters but i think the J Rob thing was Xanax)

but no, i don't know much, nor have ever heard of problems with adderall/amphetamines among wrestlers using them for performance.

that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, i guess, but if it were pervasive i think i would have heard about it.

frankly, i'm not very concerned about it.

but i do take exception to the "You have as strong as an incentive as anyone to brush it under the rug."

wtf are you talking about?

that's a wild theory. i have never, ever heard of PED use - be it steroids or ticky tack stuff - being an issue in college wrestling. And for you to suggest i'm dishonest (i'm quite literally the most forthcoming person in wrestling media) is crap.

"The defense of Daton is an example of your bias there."

what defense? i said he was tested a million times and popped once. that's facts. i'm not defending anything or anyone.

if you have some sort of off the wall theory about massive performance enhancing plague in college wrestling that's fine. but don't implicate me in some cover up weirdo.

You have as strong as an incentive as anyone to brush it under the rug. The defense of Daton is an example of your bias there.

When I assume that many teams have some guys using something, that includes things like going to a doctor to get an addy prescription despite not having ADHD or taking a friends addy. Why not if the NCAA doesn't test?

There are studies indicating as many as 25% of students have taken amphetamines. Anyone who's been to college in the past decade or two has seen or heard about it first hand. The sporting regulatory bodies rightfully consider amphetamines a PED. Yet because it can be gotten with a prescription and used through a TUE, it's not taken seriously.

J Robinson was fired because a bunch of his team was using (and selling?) Adderall (and other drugs).

Not to mention, many modern and more sophisticated PEDs are really hard to test for even by WADAs standards.

That’s 1 interesting response. Why even ask the question to begin with? You obviously already have your mind made up.
Ask the question, get response to question, don’t like the response, basically call him a liar…Well done 🤦‍♂️

That’s 1 interesting response. Why even ask the question to begin with? You obviously already have your mind made up.
Ask the question, get response to question, don’t like the response, basically call him a liar…Well done 🤦‍♂️
It has the flavor of, "So when did you stop beating your wife?"

Reactions: hlstone
well, to be honest i wasn't thinking of those things (adderall, etc).

(not that i matters but i think the J Rob thing was Xanax)

but no, i don't know much, nor have ever heard of problems with adderall/amphetamines among wrestlers using them for performance.

that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, i guess, but if it were pervasive i think i would have heard about it.

frankly, i'm not very concerned about it.

but i do take exception to the "You have as strong as an incentive as anyone to brush it under the rug."

wtf are you talking about?

that's a wild theory. i have never, ever heard of PED use - be it steroids or ticky tack stuff - being an issue in college wrestling. And for you to suggest i'm dishonest (i'm quite literally the most forthcoming person in wrestling media) is crap.

"The defense of Daton is an example of your bias there."

what defense? i said he was tested a million times and popped once. that's facts. i'm not defending anything or anyone.

if you have some sort of off the wall theory about massive performance enhancing plague in college wrestling that's fine. but don't implicate me in some cover up weirdo.

J rob was Xanax and Adderall.

To be clear, when I said "you have an incentive to brush it under the rug", I wasn't accusing you of lying or covering up any PED use. I believe you when you say that you haven't heard about it. I just don't think that coaches or athletes would come to the media to talk about it. I'll restate my point above on that - I don't think coaches or teammates would want to bring up the subject with the media when there's a good chance (statistically speaking) that a few of their wrestlers/teammates have used banned substances. Also, even clean athletes may not want to subject themselves to the diminished privacy that goes along with serious testing.

"PED's have massive effects both when you're on them and when you're off. not only would the difference be visible, the athlete who is off them would be pretty much washed. I've never seen someone perform at anything close to a high level in college and then be a total shell of themselves in FS, or vice versa."

Daton Fix tested positive on January 22, 2020 and then won a world silver medal in October 2021.

"Most of the high level college guys go on to some measure of domestic (US Open / Final X) or international (Pan Ams, U20/U23's, Worlds) success, and if they're on something they ain't beating the tests at USADA or WADA."

We have multiple examples just in the last few years of guys popping on USADA/WADA tests but never popping in the NCAAs. - Daton Fix, Zahid Valencia, Jordan Oliver, Aaron Brooks (although cleared due to paperwork).

You admit to not even considering amphetamines initially when you were responding regarding PEDs and you brush off amphetamines as "I'm not very concerned about it."

This was after I linked an article with evidence of widespread Ampehatamine use by students and the DEA putting out a recent statement claiming that presciption Amphetamines is the new Opiod crisis.

Unless wrestling is a crazy anomaly, it's naïve to think PED and amphetamine use isn't occurring at the NCAA level.

I'll reiterate again - I'm not accusing you of lying or covering anything up and never have. I believe you're giving your honest take on the topic and I appreciate that.

Never called him a liar or even implied he was lying. I asked the question, because I'm curious what his perspective and take is on the topic. And there's value in him sharing that info. That doesn't mean I can't give a rebuttal with evidence that I think warrants heavy skepticism that PED use is a non issue in NCAA sports.

We have multiple examples just in the last few years of guys popping on USADA/WADA tests but never popping in the NCAAs. - Daton Fix, Zahid Valencia, Jordan Oliver, Aaron Brooks (although cleared due to paperwork).

Also, here's some former wrestlers who never popped in the NCAAs but popped in the UFC under stricter USADA testing:

Jon Fitch
Chael Sonnen
Brock Lesnar
Chad Mendes
TJ Dillashaw

This is just a very small list of NCAA wrestlers who popped in the UFC. Here's a longer list (hundreds) of UFC failed drug tests:

It seems extremely unlikely that PED use is extremely widespread in MMA, but not in NCAA wrestling. What's the main difference between the two? NCAA testing is a complete joke, and the UFC used USADA and athletic commissions that take testing much more seriously than the NCAA.

Given what's publicly known, it seems very naïve to just operate under the assumption that it's a non-issue and non-occurrence in NCAAs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT