ADVERTISEMENT

Quote from Foster about his decision

I agree with others here that B.J Armstrong would be a huge upgrade. I think he said he'd be interested. With his connections to people around the NBA he'd improve recruiting dramatically and bring excitement to the program

Has bj said he would be interested?? Man I would be all for that hire. I don't care if he hasn't coached before or not. He would bring in the players. Hoiberg got along just fine without previously coaching

I agree with others here that B.J Armstrong would be a huge upgrade. I think he said he'd be interested. With his connections to people around the NBA he'd improve recruiting dramatically and bring excitement to the program

If he's genuinely interested, this needs to be done yesterday.

I honestly hope Dean Oliver will be considered. He's got experience as an assistant at Wisconsin.

Reactions: ThriceHawk
Has bj said he would be interested?? Man I would be all for that hire. I don't care if he hasn't coached before or not. He would bring in the players. Hoiberg got along just fine without previously coaching

Armstrong: “Listen, look, I love Iowa. Those four years at Iowa were perhaps the four greatest years I’ve had. My four years at Iowa were just incredible. I had an incredible run. From the moment I stepped on campus to the moment I left, it’s nothing but positive vibes.

Titus: “You don’t want to spoil it by going back and getting fired?”

Armstrong: It’s just you go back and it’s just great. From what we achieved as a group. What we did - Chuck Long was runner up in football for the Heisman Trophy to Bo Jackson - it was a great four years there.

I don’t know how I could top that. But you know what, if the University did call back and ask me, that’s one place I know I don’t have the ability to say, ‘no.’

So I try to keep my distance cause I don’t want to have to say, ‘yes.’”

Frazier: “There you have it: B.J. Armstrong does not say ‘no’ to Iowa.”

Armstrong: “If they ask me to do anything for the University - anything - I would have to do it.”

I like Fran and his teams most years. He just can't keep missing on his top offers every year and make it.
If the dude would just get a commitment every two years for a high priority target, I would imagine Iowa would be a NCAA regular.

Armstrong: “Listen, look, I love Iowa. Those four years at Iowa were perhaps the four greatest years I’ve had. My four years at Iowa were just incredible. I had an incredible run. From the moment I stepped on campus to the moment I left, it’s nothing but positive vibes.

Titus: “You don’t want to spoil it by going back and getting fired?”

Armstrong: It’s just you go back and it’s just great. From what we achieved as a group. What we did - Chuck Long was runner up in football for the Heisman Trophy to Bo Jackson - it was a great four years there.

I don’t know how I could top that. But you know what, if the University did call back and ask me, that’s one place I know I don’t have the ability to say, ‘no.’

So I try to keep my distance cause I don’t want to have to say, ‘yes.’”

Frazier: “There you have it: B.J. Armstrong does not say ‘no’ to Iowa.”

Armstrong: “If they ask me to do anything for the University - anything - I would have to do it.”

Barta: BJ can you write us a check for a new downtown arena?

BJ: No

:D

Carver’s age is doing a good job all by itself turning Carver into a ghost town. Even if Fran got the boot who would want to come and coach at Iowa? Carver is a huge problem and at this point it is starting to suck the life out of the program.

On Foster and this quote it is a huge loss. I have been a Fran supporter but even to me this one feels like it could be the beginning of the end of Fran’s tenure at Iowa.

Hilton is older than Carver and less inspiring of a design.

Losing an Iowa fan to Iowa State is horrible, no matter how you spin it. The recruiting at Iowa has not been Big Ten worthy, the results as well. Fran is a likable coach, but just isn't getting the players and more than anything the athletes. This year will be a big year for him, hot seat I think is there. If you can't sell Iowa to an Iowa fan in 3 years, something isn't right.

Care to revisit your stance that Iowa States ability to put guys on NBA rosters had no bearing on recruiting success? ISUs two highest regarded recruits (Foster and Blackwell) cited this verbatim. Able to admit you were wrong?

Weird, another 3 day old CyTwins troll account.

Blackwell wasn't a big recruit. ISU was literally his best commitable option.

Foster cited it and it was a large part of what Prohm sold him. That said, Foster was probably more likely to go there even without that. ISU likely has better early playing time. Iowa returns Garza, Pemsl and Nunge. He has a better relationship with the ISU players, plus rumors he doesn't care much for Pat and Connor.

I still don't view the few benchwarmers ISU has in the NBA as a significant recruiting advantage. If that were his primary criteria, he would have selected Kansas or UCLA.

Foster cited it and it was a large part of what Prohm sold him. That said, Foster was probably more likely to go there even without that. ISU likely has better early playing time. Iowa returns Garza, Pemsl and Nunge. He has a better relationship with the ISU players, plus rumors he doesn't care much for Pat and Connor.

I still don't view the few benchwarmers ISU has in the NBA as a significant recruiting advantage. If that were his primary criteria, he would have selected Kansas or UCLA.
I could question the playing time argument for a couple of reasons, but I think it makes sense for a third reason.

First, he said he expects to be a role player next year at ISU.
Second, ISU returns Conditt and Young
On the other hand, LeBron would probably only get 30 minutes a game from Fran.

I agree. I think we should go with your opinion over 2 Top 150 kids that think otherwise and have experience being, you know, recruited.

I could question the playing time argument for a couple of reasons, but I think it makes sense for a third reason.

Yep.

Fran would have to squeeze in some PT for the 10th man.

Some Iowa fans just won't accept that right now Iowa State is a more attractive program, for whatever reason(s). I honestly don't buy the NBA angle. I think the reality is he just developed a better bond with the Iowa State players and coaches. He was certainly there a lot.

The term fan is so subjective. I know people that say they are fans that don't know there is a game tonight. I know people that say they are fans and watch every game but have no idea who Foster is ( or any HS recruit) I know people that say they are fans and live and die by every thing involved with the team. And I know people that say they are fans and fall in between these groups.

If he's a fan like me he could never go to ISU. But maybe he is a fan like my buddy who watches and cheers and it ends with that. Not all fans are fanatics.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the product on the court.

Then continue to attend games.

Other fans feel otherwise. And they're voting with their wallets.

I remember when Iowa basketball was fun and exciting and Carver was rocking. The McCaffery brand doesn't come close to that. If you're happy with it, great. Enjoy the mediocrity. Just don't blame the fans who don't want to attend. They're the customer. If they don't want your product, it's stupid business acumen to think they're the problem and not your product. Change the product and deliver something the customer wants. It's simple.

Then continue to attend games.

Other fans feel otherwise. And they're voting with their wallets.

I remember when Iowa basketball was fun and exciting and Carver was rocking. The McCaffery brand doesn't come close to that. If you're happy with it, great. Enjoy the mediocrity. Just don't blame the fans who don't want to attend. They're the customer. If they don't want your product, it's stupid business acumen to think they're the problem and not your product. Change the product and deliver something the customer wants. It's simple.

our recent attendance under Fran has been fairly consistent with our historical national ranking, hasn’t it?

it’s also been said that foster wasn’t very fond of Patrick and Connor. don’t know if there’s any truth to it but it’s out there. TIFWIW.
I saw the tweet I think you're referring too. The guy who said that has been wrong about many things Foster related in the past week.

I have been overreacting and crapping on Fran all day but cmon. Connor and Pat are decent basketball players (it's not like they are Uhl or Ellingson bad), and outside of one technical, there is no evidence that they are bad kids. Foster has kept everything so close to the vest, I cannot believe something like that would get out.

Like Mike Gundy said, lets keep our hate and public grievances geared toward the head coach and not the college boys.

Reactions: skydog0784
Of course he’s not a fan of Fran or Barta. He managed to make himself persona non grata to the program he grew up cheering for, and eliminated himself from his dream job because he’s an arrogant douche.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the product on the court.

I can respect this view but let me ask you a question— have you ever wondered to yourself at any time over the past 20 years how/why Wisconsin has had so much more success than Iowa?

Are you a Buddhist by any chance?

Reactions: Rudolph

I don't really understand the minutes argument.

Fran plays a bigger rotation than Prohm but the minute distributions aren't that far apart.

Iowa has tall guys in their program playing the center position the four position and the three position already so yeah there's less competition for his size in his role at Iowa State

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT