ADVERTISEMENT

Real Woods in the portal? Mineo inkling Penn State

I remember thinking he was coming here a few years ago when I heard rumors about a transfer (ended up being desanto).

I don't care anymore. It's become so rediculous it's not even interesting.
Agreed. I find it funny that all season long PSU fans were saying Bartlett is gonna be a good 141 and Van Ness is the second coming of little baby Jesus at 149, well, it seems like one of them is getting recruited over…..again. If you sign on with Cael you better produce right away at the level they want you to or you will be booted. There’s no loyalty in that program. If you don’t believe me ask their former heavy and 197. Both guys were AA quality, but that doesn’t matter there.

Agreed. I find it funny that all season long PSU fans were saying Bartlett is gonna be a good 141 and Van Ness is the second coming of little baby Jesus at 149, well, it seems like one of them is getting recruited over…..again. If you sign on with Cael you better produce right away at the level they want you to or you will be booted. There’s no loyalty in that program. If you don’t believe me ask their former heavy and 197. Both guys were AA quality, but that doesn’t matter there.
I have no problems with "recruiting over". If a guy isn't getting the job done, bring in someone that can. The guy not getting the job done only needs to prove he is better than the guy brought in. If a weight isn't producing, upgrade. I wish Brands would do it more.

I have no problems with "recruiting over". If a guy isn't getting the job done, bring in someone that can. The guy not getting the job done only needs to prove he is better than the guy brought in. If a weight isn't producing, upgrade. I wish Brands would do it more.
They recruited over to AA’s. In what world is that not getting the job done.

At some point loyalty matters. Future recruits are going to see this. It’s a pattern now. Also is Cael saying he’d rather not develop an AA into a higher AA or is he saying he can’t?

I don't care anymore. It's become so rediculous it's not even interesting.
My sentiments as well...and yes, I acknowledge that Iowa has gained from transfers too. But things are shaping up that it isn't really college based wrestling with any type of tradition or program roster building, but rather year to year formations, or reformulations, of all star teams.

I love college wrestling, but I hate what is developing.

How's the recruiting pitch go? What do the coaches tell the parents? I know the line that you have to earn it - fair enough. But this is simply ruthless.

Your delusional. BB was not an all American and SVN hasn’t proven himself yet. Real Woods was an AA this year. Are you telling me that you wouldn’t recruit him on your team. this is the future of the sport. Whether you like it or not. In this instance this decision is not about loyalty. I understand where you are coming from about Beard and Seth. But there is a reason PSU is dominating. They are continually looking to improve at every weight.

At some point loyalty matters. Future recruits are going to see this. It’s a pattern now. Also is Cael saying he’d rather not develop an AA into a higher AA or is he saying he can’t?
He’s saying, “I want best chance to win it all. So, this is what we’ll do….”

He’s NOT saying, “How do I promote team loyalty?”

Reactions: Gray52 and TarpHawk
Your delusional. BB was not an all American and SVN hasn’t proven himself yet. Real Woods was an AA this year. Are you telling me that you wouldn’t recruit him on your team. this is the future of the sport. Whether you like it or not. In this instance this decision is not about loyalty. I understand where you are coming from about Beard and Seth. But there is a reason PSU is dominating. They are continually looking to improve at every weight.
I heard all year long from the PSU lurkers that Bartlett would be amazing at 141, and SVN is gonna be a high AA. That’s not delusional, that’s from your fan base. It’s possible they’re delusional, I’ll be that at full price.

In my original post I said that I find it funny. Watching PSU fans walk back a years worth of dialog in a nanosecond is hilarious. But what should I expect from that fan base. So yeah, hahaha. I’m still laughing.

He’s saying, “I want best chance to win it all. So, this is what we’ll do….”
I’m just saying that narrative won’t sell to a lot of these top 10 recruits he’s snagging. Loyalty to a program and a wrestler is hard earned and easily broken. If enough of these “instances” pile up, it’s gonna make people question whether it’s worth going there. Which I’m fine with. You can’t rule that out as a possibly Dub.

It doesn’t matter what the fan base has to say. At the end of the day it matters what the coaches have to say. The fact of the matter is BB might be great at 141 and SVN might be an AA. But if any team has an opportunity to grab Real Woods they are going to grab him… Iowa included. I think Henson is going to be a potential AA for Iowa next year at 141. I’m sure the Iowa coaching staff believes that as well. But I guarantee if they have the opportunity to bring in Real Woods they bring him in.

I’m just saying that narrative won’t sell to a lot of these top 10 recruits he’s snagging. Loyalty to a program and a wrestler is hard earned and easily broken. If enough of these “instances” pile up, it’s gonna make people question whether it’s worth going there. Which I’m fine with. You can’t rule that out as a possibly Dub.
Well it's working so far and until they fall back to the pack and hs recruits stop going there, it's a good tactic.

It doesn’t matter what the fan base has to say. At the end of the day it matters what the coaches have to say. The fact of the matter is BB might be great at 141 and SVN might be an AA. But if any team has an opportunity to grab Real Woods they are going to grab him… Iowa included. I think Henson is going to be a potential AA for Iowa next year at 141. I’m sure the Iowa coaching staff believes that as well. But I guarantee if they have the opportunity to bring in Real Woods they bring him in.
Not disagreeing with you, but how does this happen if teams are truly operating with 9.9 scholarships? Hell, I hope Iowa reached out to him too but it’s just so damn frustrating when penn state has a roster full of top recruits and ncaa studs and can somehow find enough money to potentially bring in an all american transfer. Great for penn state but this all just sucks for the rest of the wrestling world.

Not disagreeing with you, but how does this happen if teams are truly operating with 9.9 scholarships? Hell, I hope Iowa reached out to him too but it’s just so damn frustrating when penn state has a roster full of top recruits and ncaa studs and can somehow find enough money to potentially bring in an all american transfer. Great for penn state but this all just sucks for the rest of the wrestling world.
I can’t answer that question. That one is outside my pay grade.

Reactions: Im4Iowa
How's the recruiting pitch go? What do the coaches tell the parents? I know the line that you have to earn it - fair enough. But this is simply ruthless.

They probably do something dastardly like saying they expect a high AA at each weight and if they can’t get it done, it’s their job as coaches to find someone who will. That’s every coach’s job.

There’s no AA being displaced here. And even if say there was a 7th placer…that’s not a big points scorer and a spot ripe for upgrade.

They probably do something dastardly like saying they expect a high AA at each weight and if they can’t get it done, it’s their job as coaches to find someone who will. That’s every coach’s job.

There’s no AA being displaced here. And even if say there was a 7th placer…that’s not a big points scorer and a spot ripe for upgrade.
They replaced Beard who was a 7th place finisher and did that while wrestling injured. A coach could look at a young wrestler and think he was injured and I know he can improve. I can take this 7th place finisher and make him an NCAA champion. Or….a coach can say that young kid wrested well even when injured, but not well enough, so let’s that this former finalist and make him an NCAA champ. I know which coach is wanna wrestler for.

And that has been my point all along. This transfer might not be replacing an AA, but that’s probably because their AA was wrestling up a weight and was a pretty damn good recruit. But, screw him, we got someone else.

Do people not think that doing this over and over is ultimately a bad strategy? If so, I’m happy to be the only one standing on my island.

They replaced Beard who was a 7th place finisher and did that while wrestling injured. A coach could look at a young wrestler and think he was injured and I know he can improve. I can take this 7th place finisher and make him an NCAA champion. Or….a coach can say that young kid wrested well even when injured, but not well enough, so let’s that this former finalist and make him an NCAA champ. I know which coach is wanna wrestler for.

And that has been my point all along. This transfer might not be replacing an AA, but that’s probably because their AA was wrestling up a weight and was a pretty damn good recruit. But, screw him, we got someone else.

Do people not think that doing this over and over is ultimately a bad strategy? If so, I’m happy to be the only one standing on my island.
I don’t think your on an island by yourself. I agree with some of what your saying. I just think that the landscape of competitive D1 programs will need to adapt to making the portal a major part of their recruiting process to be successful.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
I don’t think your on an island by yourself. I agree with some of what your saying. I just think that the landscape of competitive D1 programs will need to adapt to making the portal a major part of their recruiting process to be successful.
I’m not against the portal at all, in fact I think Iowa needs an upgrade at 157 pretty badly for this coming year. But to recruit over guys that have proven they are skilled wrestlers I think eventually will have consequences with certain recruits. It also makes me wonder if PSU is contacting kids before they enter the portal, which I don’t think is legal? Could be wrong there?

Either way, it’s a dangerous skins game imo.

Reactions: eb05 and Gobblin
I mean I’m sure it’s possible, but color me skeptical that Real Woods, a pre med student serious enough about his academics to go to Stanford for undergrad, decides to go to graduate school at PSU. Not that PSU is a bad school by any means, but if he does indeed decide to transfer somewhere after graduating from Stanford, my money will be on a university with a significantly better medical school than that. Michigan, Northwestern, Duke, etc make a lot more sense.

Where do you see PSU fans doing back flips over the possibility of Real Woods transferring? BWI doesn't even have a thread dedicated to the possibility of him transferring. Here are all the comments about the possibility of the transfer from the "new transfer" thread on BWI. I don't see the 180 by PSU fans in any of these posts.
I understand the disappointment Hawk fans have over how the 2022 season played out, but you'll be back challenging for an NCAA title again soon. And you can bet that transfers will be a big part of that.

Here are the PSU fans doing back flips:

• I would like that one except for what it does to BB.
  • Real was a kid that I wondered how we missed on him. Tons of potential and with a year in our room, he would definitely be in the conversation as a national champion.

However when we landed Beau I wouldn't have traded the two. Now 2 years into the experiment up at 149, I am not so sure. I definitely saw a much more aggressive and dominant neutral wrestler in high school.

On balance I want to stay on the horse we have in the stable and see what Beau will do down at his natural weight. He is still my guy.
  • As for bumping heads with Bartlett, it's been discussed many times on this board but Cael doesn't say no to kids who want in that are that talent level. It's part of the deal of wrestling for PSU or any top wrestling program, if a better guy wants in, you don't expect your coach to say no right? Beau has a redshirt anyways and candidly, his performance at 149 give some pause that he'll immediately be ready to be an AA guy at 141.
  • The Real Woods situation would be ideal assuming: Real has only one year of eligibility left, is graduated or will graduate from Stanford soon, and Beau has a RS. I think all 3 may be true. This gives Beau a year to get his body into optimal 141 range, and another year in the room. Seems like the perfect scenario to me.
  • Beau has a RS. If, and that is a big if, this has legs, it's a no-brainer. Is anyone complaining now about the Max Dean transfer? It's part of the deal here.

Beau has wrestled for two years and could have probably benefited from a RS in either of them. If Real Woods comes here, he RS's and then takes he's shot at the lineup in 2023-24 - IF Van Ness is healthy and ready to compete in 2022-23.

And who knows, in 2023-24, Van Ness could be a) 149 b) 157 or c) injured
  • Mineo dropping hints at Real Woods.
  • I guess that means it isn't Real Woods.
  • If you remember, it was at the exact moment when Askren was projecting the PSU lineup for next season when he was saying that Bartlett would move to 141 that Pyles said he thinks this will be a crazy year for transfers. Then Askren pesters him into texting him the name and then he says “to Penn State? No way!” So a 141 transfer makes sense.

There is one main difference that nobody talks about.
PSU brings in transfers when there is already one of their many top tier recruits in line. Iowa does not and most likely can not because they are limited by the rules.
PSU has the means to circumnavigate those rules and the great Carl does not care about pissing on a top recruit and their family by not putting in the time to elevate them.

I’m not against the portal at all, in fact I think Iowa needs an upgrade at 157 pretty badly for this coming year. But to recruit over guys that have proven they are skilled wrestlers I think eventually will have consequences with certain recruits. It also makes me wonder if PSU is contacting kids before they enter the portal, which I don’t think is legal? Could be wrong there?

Either way, it’s a dangerous skins game imo.
Carl has a history of doing that before there was a portal.

Not disagreeing with you, but how does this happen if teams are truly operating with 9.9 scholarships?
With NIL it’s perfectly legal for a booster to pay his tuition. Which is likely what he’ll get at a minimum wherever he goes.

For big programs with large donor bases, scholarship limits aren’t a concern anymore. At all.

Here’s the problem that I see…high school studs (true studs) don’t care about who’s on the roster at psu or who they may bring in. They think they can/will beat out whoever is there. They think they can’t be recruited over because they’re simply too good. Carl and company know this. So they get the best they can then take the best transfers as well and say tough luck. Top notch wrestlers are confident. This is never going to change. It’s a new ballgame.

OK, lets keep it Real Wood you all? I understand probable not from the F*** guys because then they wood have to admit the truth which we all know now. The great kale has been operating by a totally different set of rules which allowed him before NIL to pay wrestlers whatever it took.

Above someone asked why would wood go to F*** land. please ask yourself the same question about Dean? The answer lies in the $$$$$. Ivy schools cost a lot! Most kids must take out loans and go into great dept. How does this pitch sound to you?

"Dear Maxy, woody, You know that 250K of dept you currently have? Well the great fale can take care of that for you!!! + free skool too!"

You might ask, WHY you do not see any F*** staters in the portal??? Why would there back ups at 197, 285 not hit the portal? My guess is you will see them with plenty of free eligibility years? The kid Mason Manville filled in a few times this season. The F*** st announcers, and I kid you not, said he has 2-3 MORE years left. I am pretty sure he was in school when I was and that was 30 years ago!!!!

Now the bandwagon F*** guys will have all sorts of good reasons for this. Red shirt, grey shirt, black shirt, covid and on and on. Honestly, I wanna say he committed in 2016. How do you stay in school this long? how do you pay? OH yes, he is in the ROTC, year right. They will just keep paying for the kid to be a career back up at f***land.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT