ADVERTISEMENT

Reasonably Satisfied with Game Today

markfromj

HR Legend
Sep 1, 2004
We are not close to Michigan in recruiting and the talent we can get.

The D was solid (not great) today. The O grew in the second half. The team kept fighting.

It will a big problem that we went into a home game as a 10 point underdog, and our Offense is bad, and would be boring even if it was good.

But we played ok today.

The defense was out played in the 1st half. Petras played like crap during the first 2.5 qtrs and missed a throw that could have put 3-7pts on the board. BF's play calling was terrible for much of the game. He had some downright idiotic calls today. When the D stepped up and the offense strung together some great drives we were undone by penalties, poor execution, poor play calling, bad clock management, and poor QB movement. It felt like Iowa was never really in this game but at the same time could have been in it much earlier than mid way through the 4th. This was a very frustrating game to watch.

If Petras hits Lachey in the first half and doesn't over throw him badly Iowa could have been down 20-14 or 20-10 late in the 4th with a chance to take the lead or kick a field goal with just under 6mins left in the game. Inconsistent QB play and poor OC play calling are really holding this team back. Some fans don't get it.

I used to look for small moral victories in a loss, but when you have a 3rd year starting QB who couldn't throw the ball in the ocean if he were standing on the beach, an OL who would struggle to block a high school team, OC who has zero imaginability and a head coach who seems to be ok with mediocrity, I see no moral victories. LOL In seriousness, Kirk has done great things at Iowa, but I think with the offense that has got worse under Brian, and his refusal to see it, or act on it tells me it is time for him to retire. Just my opinion to a long time Kirk supporter. Any other school would have gave Brian his walking papers a couple years ago. Me personally, I just want him demoted and for Iowa to hire a REAL OC, someone who has experience this time.

I think with all those passing yards in garbage time in the fourth quarter we won’t be last in the country in yards per game. Let’s go boys!
Glad the OP is satisfied with mediocrity or even less this year. Give him a participant ribbon

Reactions: kcgolfer
Iowa had no TOs again, but didn't force any, either. I thought that MI's offense really took it to Iowa's defense in the first half. That was the difference in the game.

Holy shit, I used to make fun of ISU fans and tell them they're fans of MVU, Moral Victory University. Looks like a bunch of our fan base are hitting that level of apathy. Pathetic.

No offense to you @Moral

The defense was out played in the 1st half. Petras played like crap during the first 2.5 qtrs and missed a throw that could have put 3-7pts on the board. BF's play calling was terrible for much of the game. He had some downright idiotic calls today. When the D stepped up and the offense strung together some great drives we were undone by penalties, poor execution, poor play calling, bad clock management, and poor QB movement. It felt like Iowa was never really in this game but at the same time could have been in it much earlier than mid way through the 4th. This was a very frustrating game to watch.

If Petras hits Lachey in the first half and doesn't over throw him badly Iowa could have been down 20-14 or 20-10 late in the 4th with a chance to take the lead or kick a field goal with just under 6mins left in the game. Inconsistent QB play and poor OC play calling are really holding this team back. Some fans don't get it.
We could have won with a serviceable D1 QB. We would most likely be unbeaten. This is the 3rd year Petras has sucked.
Ridiculous.

We are not close to Michigan in recruiting and the talent we can get.

The D was solid (not great) today. The O grew in the second half. The team kept fighting.

It will a big problem that we went into a home game as a 10 point underdog, and our Offense is bad, and would be boring even if it was good.

But we played ok today.
All the little league Moms (no pics) shout out "That's OK you tried really hard" when their kid strikes out or make a dumb play.

I used to look for small moral victories in a loss, but when you have a 3rd year starting QB who couldn't throw the ball in the ocean if he were standing on the beach, an OL who would struggle to block a high school team, OC who has zero imaginability and a head coach who seems to be ok with mediocrity, I see no moral victories. LOL In seriousness, Kirk has done great things at Iowa, but I think with the offense that has got worse under Brian, and his refusal to see it, or act on it tells me it is time for him to retire. Just my opinion to a long time Kirk supporter. Any other school would have gave Brian his walking papers a couple years ago. Me personally, I just want him demoted and for Iowa to hire a REAL OC, someone who has experience this time.
Imaginability... I'm using that!

I thought that MI's offense really took it to Iowa's defense in the first half. That was the difference in the game.
I would humbly beg to differ. The difference in the game, as has been the case all too often in recent years, was the offensive coaching, or lack of it. Iowa may not have Michigan's talent, but it has enough offensive talent to have won that game today. Review the tape. Petras missed high on three straight throws in the first half, the first of which would have been a huge play, maybe a TD. A starting D-1 QB cannot miss wide open receivers like that season after season, game after game, play after play.

Iowa tried no new formations. Iowa tried not one single trick play. Iowa didn't even run a hurry-up offense until the game was over. They were down 20-7 and methodically advanced down the field like they were up by that score. And then, of course, you CANNOT fail to score a TD on that drive. You have to have some red zone plays, maybe some trickeration, but you HAVE to get the ball in the end zone, and it would be nice to do so with enough time left to stop Michigan, get the ball back, and score one more TD and, yes, win the damn game.

Petras is as immobile as the Kinnick statue in front of the stadium. All good athletes in any sport have quick feet. Petras does not, and it burns Iowa time after time after time . . . like in those three straight sacks late in the game.

And then there was that naked boot that totally fooled Michigan. All but two defenders flowed to the right leaving Petras all alone, and he managed to hit the TE (who else) for an eight-yard gain. Nice. But Labas, and probably Padilla, would have kept the ball and had a huge gain, if not a TD on that play. Say what you will about the O-line--and it isn't doing great--but a mobile QB would take a tremendous amount of pressure off the O-line.

Coaching cost Iowa this game. KF and BF, as usual, share the blame. It's that simple.

I would humbly beg to differ. The difference in the game, as has been the case all too often in recent years, was the offensive coaching, or lack of it. Iowa may not have Michigan's talent, but it has enough offensive talent to have won that game today. Review the tape. Petras missed high on three straight throws in the first half, the first of which would have been a huge play, maybe a TD. A starting D-1 QB cannot miss wide open receivers like that season after season, game after game, play after play.

Iowa tried no new formations. Iowa tried not one single trick play. Iowa didn't even run a hurry-up offense until the game was over. They were down 20-7 and methodically advanced down the field like they were up by that score. And then, of course, you CANNOT fail to score a TD on that drive. You have to have some red zone plays, maybe some trickeration, but you HAVE to get the ball in the end zone, and it would be nice to do so with enough time left to stop Michigan, get the ball back, and score one more TD and, yes, win the damn game.

Petras is as immobile as the Kinnick statue in front of the stadium. All good athletes in any sport have quick feet. Petras does not, and it burns Iowa time after time after time . . . like in those three straight sacks late in the game.

And then there was that naked boot that totally fooled Michigan. All but two defenders flowed to the right leaving Petras all alone, and he managed to hit the TE (who else) for an eight-yard gain. Nice. But Labas, and probably Padilla, would have kept the ball and had a huge gain, if not a TD on that play. Say what you will about the O-line--and it isn't doing great--but a mobile QB would take a tremendous amount of pressure off the O-line.

Coaching cost Iowa this game. KF and BF, as usual, share the blame. It's that simple.
Spot on.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
This is exactly how I feel. For anyone watching an Iowa game or listening to national media, who would want to play in this offense or team other than kickers?

Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT