ADVERTISEMENT

Reasons for cautious optimism?

RagnarLothbrok

HB Heisman
Apr 4, 2023
I’m asking.

I thought last season Iowa would take it up another level, and yet the offense was complete trash once again.

I am excited for the new season but don’t want to feel the same let down. Yes, Brian is gone, but what other reasons are there for cautious optimism?

TIA

I’m asking.

I thought last season Iowa would take it up another level, and yet the offense was complete trash once again.

I am excited for the new season but don’t want to feel the same let down. Yes, Brian is gone, but what other reasons are there for cautious optimism?

TIA
If the QBs are unimaginably bad, that will be an upgrade from last year.

The offense almost certainly won’t telegraph half the plays, allowing 10 of the 11 defenders to sprint directly to the ball at the snap.

The entire OL isn’t injured, and are almost certainly deeper to deal with injuries if they do occur.

We have healthy TEs at the moment.

On offense:
1. Luke Lachey is back.
2. The best that the offensive line has looked over the past couple seasons is when Beau Stephens is starting. He is penciled in at LG.
3. The RB room is really deep and talented.
4. Tim Lester knows how to design an offensive scheme and call plays.
5. Our quarterbacks are healthy to start the season and are not in the doghouse.

I’m asking.

TIA
Other than a new OC and pretty much the same group of dudes being a year older I've got nothing. We'll find out if that's enough to not suck on Saturday when they play probably their weakest defense of the season. If they come out struggling again we can all break out our "Punting is Winning " shirts from last year. If they look good, then optimism will reign supreme for another week.

I’m asking.

TIA
Let down? Were you expecting a playoff birth?

Iowa did take it up another level. They won 10 games for the 11th time in program history

Other than a new OC and pretty much the same group of dudes being a year older I've got nothing. We'll find out if that's enough to not suck on Saturday when they play probably their weakest defense of the season. If they come out struggling again we can all break out our "Punting is Winning " shirts from last year. If they look good, then optimism will reign supreme for another week.
I would ask how on earth 10 wins sucks. But it's obvious that you are just talking about the offense.

But the question remains, how did this become interpreted as a thread about just the offense?

There's much more to football than just offense. I could go even further and say that offense really isn't that important when you have the defense and special teams that Iowa does

I would ask how on earth 10 wins sucks. But it's obvious that you are just talking about the offense.

But the question remains, how did this become interpreted as a thread about just the offense?

There's much more to football than just offense. I could go even further and say that offense really isn't that important when you have the defense and special teams that Iowa does
"I could go even further and say that offense really isn't that important when you have the defense and special teams that Iowa does."

-------------Is this a joke?

I assume most people have you on ignore.

This is the original post:

"I thought last season Iowa would take it up another level, and yet the offense was complete trash once again.

I am excited for the new season but don’t want to feel the same let down. Yes, Brian is gone, but what other reasons are there for cautious optimism?"

It's about the offense. Is English a second language for you, because it seems as though your comments are always out of context? And yes. Offense is just as important as defense and special teams.

This is the first time we’re coming off of arguably the worst offense in B1G history.

It seems to be literally the case, that it’s not possible to be worse this year.
Well at least Brian isn't here this year to accept this as a challenge. It literally can get worse. Like you however, I'm betting that it won't and that it will resemble a functional offense for the first time in 3 years.

At one time, I decided to read Karl Barth's book Church Dogmatics.
All 9,257 pages of it.
I'm thinking ol' eyesofhawk/F5N5/Joe McCarthy is in the process of typing up a 10,000 page reply to blast those of us that are cognitively inferior (theoretically) on here.
Time will tell.

-No Brian
-No Deacon Hill
-RB room is healthy (Williams is back according to reports)
-Luke Lechey returns
-OLine has had considerable improvement as reported by multiple writers
-Our QB room is as deep as it's been in a decade
-Tim Lester is a smart coordinator with experience as a player, head coach, and positions both on the collegiate and professional levels

It's going to take time for this offense to click. The way I've been looking at it is this: Lester inherited a broken down car that won't even turn over. He was given the keys and was told to make it ready for racing in 8 months. I believe that, in time, it'll be not only a competent offense, but a competitive one. He just needs more time and players that he personally has recruited.

Another reason for optimism? Try two; Phil Parker is still the defensive coordinator and almost every single guy who could come back, came back for one more year. This defense will be beyond deadly, ESPECIALLY if our offense can hold on to the ball for more than 3 seconds before punting.

Well at least Brian isn't here this year to accept this as a challenge. It literally can get worse. Like you however, I'm betting that it won't and that it will resemble a functional offense for the first time in 3 years.
There is no precedent in football history for the worst offense ever to be coached by anyone other than Brian.

Much like there being no alternative to the sun as the fuel that warms the earth. The worst offense ever can only be driven by Brian.

We’re in the clear.

Improved offensive line.

Solid running backs, deep.

Serviceable qb(s). Last year we had the worst in D1.

Lachey is back.

Top five defense, in the country.

Expanded playoff, we got a shot.

"I could go even further and say that offense really isn't that important when you have the defense and special teams that Iowa does."

-------------Is this a joke?
I would say the last two seasons have proven that.

Worst offense in the country has equaled an average of 9 wins. Conclusion: the poor offense hasn't had much to do with winning and losing.

Certainly the bad offense hasn't been as big a deal as fans have made it. Negativity everywhere. Wins everywhere. What doesn't add up?

I would say the last two seasons have proven that.

Worst offense in the country has equaled an average of 9 wins. Conclusion: the poor offense hasn't had much to do with winning and losing.

Certainly the bad offense hasn't been as big a deal as fans have made it. Negativity everywhere. Wins everywhere. What doesn't add up?
I am disappointed.
I expected a book length reply.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT