ADVERTISEMENT

Recommend a good entry level woman's bicycle

jellyfish10

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2009
Let's put the tag around a grand. I bought Mrs. X-jelly a Trek road bike for about that amount. It was a road bike (still is in fact) though I forget the model. I'm wondering if something more multi use might be better for someone that hasn't ridden a great deal. Maybe something with more versatility with the potential to do some light self contained riding. Suggestions? TIA.

The brand of bike means very little. The frame material and the quality of the components are what matters.

Frames can be found that are made from steel, aluminum,carbon fiber, and titanium.

Shimano makes at least six different lines of brakes, gears, shifters, etc ... each line gets more expensive and usually performs better and weighs less.

To compare a trek to a cannondale you should compare frames made from the same material and same component line.

In bikes, it may seem silly but you really do get what you pay for.

Reactions: jellyfish10
The brand of bike means very little. The frame material and the quality of the components are what matters.

Frames can be found that are made from steel, aluminum,carbon fiber, and titanium.

Shimano makes at least six different lines of brakes, gears, shifters, etc ... each line gets more expensive and usually performs better and weighs less.

To compare a trek to a cannondale you should compare frames made from the same material and same component line.

In bikes, it may seem silly but you really do get what you pay for.

Thanks. I was just trying to give perspective on what I have experience with. The shop that I have bought my last few bikes at does carry Trek but I am not brand specific. Most of my riding is on a Surly Crosscheck which that store also carries. Another local outfitter carries Salsa and that is an option too.

I agree 100% with your last statement. However, I hate to suggest spending a significant amount of money if you don't know how much that particular person will ride. Spending 3k to ride periodically is a waste of money IMO.

A lot depends on the type of surface she'll be on. If it will mostly be pavement, a road bike is fine. If she will be doing dirt trails or gravel, she'll want fatter tires with some grip. If she will be doing harder trails with rocks, she will want something with at least front suspension, if not full.

If it is to be mostly pavement, she can't go wrong with a Trek FX 7.2. You can probably find one for about $500. It is light and easy to upgrade. Great entry level bike. If you are dead set on spending a grand, get the 7.5. It has somewhat better components, but not outrageous.

I have a Surly Ice Cream Truck. It is an absolute blast and my carbon fiber road back rarely gets used. Lot the freedom of a fat bike. As a bonus it keeps me off paved roads. I ride trails and gravel roads now. I feel much more safe.

sorry
Menstrual-Cycle-1.png

Let's put the tag around a grand. I bought Mrs. X-jelly a Trek road bike for about that amount. It was a road bike (still is in fact) though I forget the model. I'm wondering if something more multi use might be better for someone that hasn't ridden a great deal. Maybe something with more versatility with the potential to do some light self contained riding. Suggestions? TIA.
New girlfriend?

New girlfriend?

Yes sir.

A lot depends on the type of surface she'll be on. If it will mostly be pavement, a road bike is fine. If she will be doing dirt trails or gravel, she'll want fatter tires with some grip. If she will be doing harder trails with rocks, she will want something with at least front suspension, if not full.

If it is to be mostly pavement, she can't go wrong with a Trek FX 7.2. You can probably find one for about $500. It is light and easy to upgrade. Great entry level bike. If you are dead set on spending a grand, get the 7.5. It has somewhat better components, but not outrageous.

Yeah dude I know. Was just looking for recommendations. Mostly if not all paved trails or hard surface riding.

Thanks for the info.

Ok, I figured this is where the thread was going. Let's pump the brakes here a minute brother. Are you buying this chick a bike? How long have you been with her?

No I'm not buying her a bike. It's just something we want to do together. And really, the point of the threads yesterday was to discuss something non political.

Take a look at Kona. My son worked for many years as a bike mechanic and when my wife was looking for a bike it was what he recommended. And I agree with Run&Blade, you will get what you pay for.

For the love of odin. PIC OF SAID FEMALE. Then we can determine what saddle she sits on...

How many times has this actually happened?

There were a few of us that posted pics of our S/O's in the pic thread years ago and @DerekD4271niner has his wife in his avatar. Other than that it's prudent to ask, but not gonna happen.

No I'm not buying her a bike. It's just something we want to do together. And really, the point of the threads yesterday was to discuss something non political.
Ok cool, I was just worried you were under the spell of another woman already and you were showering her with gifts. Carry on brosef.

Ok cool, I was just worried you were under the spell of another woman already and you were showering her with gifts. Carry on brosef.

Nope. She makes good money and has her own place...very independent and driven. She is in the process of getting her second master's. I think the only gifts have been a few cards and a couple bottles of wine.

I'm happy for you. Take it slowly.

Thanks man. She lives in a city 2 hours away and with my career there and her here, it would be hard to rush even if we wanted to. In addition with my son in my hometown, a daughter in college in yet another small city and both of them traveling for cheer, that is my priority. She is an amazing woman but working full time and going to get another master's, she has other things going on too.

How many times has this actually happened?

There were a few of us that posted pics of our S/O's in the pic thread years ago and @DerekD4271niner has his wife in his avatar. Other than that it's prudent to ask, but not gonna happen.
At least make it up... post a pic of some super model to make us wonder. :)

Looked on line at Bike World in DM...seems like there is a significant amount of last year's models that they are trying to clear out.

C17_C31607F_STE.ashx

Cannondale Quick 6 is a great entry versatile bike.

http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=f50873bf-ab0f-4717-8c5a-afbc20ef4ec8

Looked on line at Bike World in DM...seems like there is a significant amount of last year's models that they are trying to clear out.
Well not sure where you are located, but Sugar Bottom bikes in North Liberty is pretty decent and locally owned.

Well not sure where you are located, but Sugar Bottom bikes in North Liberty is pretty decent and locally owned.

Yep I've been in there before but it's been awhile. Been to both of the shops in Decorah too where we would like to ride together, but I think Bike Tech in CF or in the Des Moines area at Bike World would probably seem more logical. Not opposed to Sugar Bottom but I have no idea how often or how soon we can/will get over there. Thanks for the reminder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT